AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist

Posted By: obtuseangler

Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 05:17 PM

For those of you who are regular blood donors in the states, you should be aware that you cannot donate blood for one year after a visit to Belize.
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 05:28 PM

Don't let that stop you from coming to Belize. You can always walk around certain parts of Belize City after dark and donate your blood there. wink

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 07:23 PM

With a chronic blood shortage in the US, although it may not be the most important issue to some, those of us who regularly donate certainly should be aware of this.

and folks, save the attempted humor in responding to this issue. The patients in burn units, leukemia patients, people on operating room tables and hemophiliacs are not laughing about this.

Only the truly ignorant would think this is a laughing matter.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 07:44 PM

There are also lots of good causes in Belize that are aided by people coming here and I don't see anything about not going to the US for what ever reasons mentioned by Belizeans.

Maybe your post was not meant to be interpreted as a reason for people not to visit Belize and to stay home and support the causes you do, but it certainly could be interpreted that way.

So rather than refer to people as being ignorant, maybe you could use a little more of your intellegence in wording your posts to more accuratly reflect your views. That is assuming your views were not accuratly worded so as not to be missunderstood.
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 08:08 PM

confused
Posted By: reaper

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 08:19 PM

confused eek confused
Posted By: Placidguy

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 08:20 PM

just curious... any place on AC that we could donate while we are on holiday instead ???
Posted By: papashine

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 08:40 PM

I'm not sure, I know you can donate in Belize city, I'll ask around and let you know.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 08:41 PM

Maybe the new Lions Clinic?

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 09:01 PM

bywarren,

Try rereading my post. Did I say anything about not visiting Belize?

So sorry that this isn't one of the threads involving questions about the best way to get your hotel room fridge stocked with beer before you arrive or so many other truly important issues that have been beaten to death here.

However some people might actually be interested. I personally have donated over five gallons of blood in the last twenty years. I donate several times a year. If I had known my visit would keep me from donating, I would have given right before my trip.

As far as using my intelligence, take your own advice.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 09:41 PM

I don't have to re-read your post. It certainly could be interpreted as a reason not to visit Belize. And even though it is not a thread about stocking ones refrigerator, I am not sure it shoud be one about you telling us how much blood you have donated or what causes you feel are important in the US. Or if one makes a light hearted response, you use that as an excuse to further promote your US causes on a Belize message board and characterize others as ignorant.

So just to help you a little, don't you think if you added to your first post "so for those of you planning to visit Belize and who regular donate blood, you might want to consider donating before you leave".

With that intellegent addition, there would have been no need for you to expand on your personal blood donations or the worthy causes you support and no need to call others ignorant. It would have been very usefull information for those planning to visit Belize which is what this is all about.

PS: plus having a little fun while doing it.
Posted By: PattiCake

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 09:54 PM

Hmmm. I too donate regularly as I have a somewhat rare blood type that (explain to me) is used almost exclusively for organ transplant recipients. Must be all those french fries.

Thanx for the info, Obanger. Bye Warren.
Posted By: Littleengine

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 10:04 PM

FYI, for Canadians visiting, we only have to wait 6 months after returning before we can give blood again.
Posted By: indygal

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 10:59 PM

We have run in to this also, or rather my husband has. He use to give regularly, but now we are to often in Belize. Me - they always say my blood is not good enough. How the wineos who sell their blood somehow have better blood then me, I do not know! The wineos are probably more blue blooded.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/05/05 11:42 PM

If you live in a country that will not allow you to give blood for a while after coming to Belize then make sure to give shortly before you come here. Doesn't apply to me, as I've not found any blood transfusion service that will take mine, after all the tropical diseases I've had. I was even told I can't give blood even if I will be the recipient!
Posted By: PattiCake

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 12:47 AM

Indygal, come to the chipwagon daily. I have lots of greasy stuff that will build you up until... you will be begged for blood everywhere you go!

Drink lots and lots of wine too. Red helps the most.
Posted By: indygal

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 01:00 AM

What is the chipwagon? If you mean eat hearty food, well no one would call me scrawney. So it must be the lack of red wine. I like everything sweet. Do you know of any sweet reds?
Posted By: klcman

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 01:16 AM

Mad Dog 20/20

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 04:36 AM

T.J. Swann 'Mellow Days'...a fine vintage, best if swilled from a styrofoam cup at room temperature or Aspen or Boone's Farm - can't remember if Ripple is a red . . . wink

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 04:37 AM

dollar five come-alive!
Posted By: Hon

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 12:13 PM

Egads, papashine!!! Can the world really be this small???
Are you by any chance referencing 'Old Sailor'? "Come alive for a dollar five" was its high school slogan at AN Myer SS.

Hon
Posted By: Now Danny

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 12:43 PM

I know I'm going to get trouble for saying this but so it goes. The "American Red Cross" is not a private charitable organization, it is an U.S. Government enitity or agency. Why give anything to the government so it can make money from your gift. confused
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 05:29 PM

Well that's just, umm....wrong. You're not in trouble, just incorrect. From their FAQ page:

<Is the American Red Cross part of the U.S. government?
The American Red Cross functions independently of the government but works closely with government agencies, such as the Federal Emergency Management Agency, during times of major crises. It is responsible for giving aid to members of the U.S. Armed Forces and to disaster victims at home and abroad. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement allowing the Red Cross to stay neutral and impartial.>

I've no affiliation whatsoever with the organization but used to, before I traveled much, donate blood every time I was "eligible" to do so. Gallons of it. Now, due to travel, I'm not eligible any more. That's one of the hazards, I suppose. From their donor eligibility guidelines:

<Travel Outside of U.S., Immigration
Wait 12 months after travel in an area where malaria is found. Wait 3 years after living in a country where malaria is found. Persons who have spent long periods of time in countries where "mad cow disease" is found are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about variant Creutzfeld Jacob Disease. Learn more about vCJD and donation. Persons who were born in or who lived in certain countries in Western Africa, or who have had close contact with persons who were born in or who lived in certain West African countries are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about HIV Group O.>

There's much more information and sources for answers, not assumptions and/or rumors, at:

http://www.redcross.org
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 05:49 PM

You can definitely donate blood here in Belize. The blood bank is located in the vicinity of the Karl Huesner Medical Hospital in Belize City. As with everywhere in the world, we always need more blood. It may be possible to donate here at the Poly Clinic too.
Posted By: ChrisW

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 05:58 PM

Since somebody already broached the subject...I have to admit that I have always wondered about how much money is or isn't made from donated blood and organs. Obviously the donors don't get anything, but it sure seems like there are a lot of people in between the donor and the patient that are earning a living directly or indirectly because of the donation. (Sounds a bit like college basketball.)

Anyways I have not researched the subject so I can't really say for sure one way or another. Maybe somebody who understands the system better can enlighten me...

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 06:22 PM

I donated like clockwork for years until I was deemed ineligible while working with juveniles as high risk for hepetitis. My husband still donates, he is O negative, a rare type in high demand. He also is not currently eligible due to travel to Belize and the malaria risk. As we plan to return each September, he will probably not be able to donate again either.

We donate(d) through our local blood center which is not affiliated with the American Red Cross. They serve patients and the hospitals throughout California Central Valley counties, and are the sole providers of blood. They are a non-profit, community supported organization.

They state California and FDA regulations require an all-volunteer blood supply and do not permit compensation for blood as studies have shown that volunteer donors provide a safer blood supply. This regulation has been in effect since the 1970’s.
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 06:45 PM

Question, Is there criterion for giving of blood for scuba divers?

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/06/05 10:37 PM

Several years ago, I tried to give blood for my ex-wife and was not allowed because of being in Belize within a year. They told me that it applied to anyone who was 1. in the Cayes or 2. in the rainforest. Using that guideline, one can visit Belize City or any other town on the mainland and still give blood in the US. This was several years ago and the guidelines may well have changed.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 11:51 AM

At one time I worked at a Red Cross facility here in Cleveland Ohio. Every truck in the parking lot had a license plate the had "U. S. Government" on it. I asked some employees about that and they said they were employees of the government. I believe this is just another con job on the American public. Give to the Red Cross. Give to the Red Cross. confused

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 12:03 PM

Cat, I checked out that link and didn't find any difinative answer to the question of "is the Red Cross a private or government agency". One indicator would be where the pension money of their employees goes. To P.E.R.S. or to Social Security. The answer to that question probably would end this debate, would it not?
Posted By: collyk

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 12:24 PM

How weird. I heard that the first case of BSE 'mad cow disease' was reported in the USA in December 2003. How does that work out with the no one from countries with mad cow disease can donate blood.

Just an extra note. You cannot give blood after having a tattoo or a piercing (even ear piercing) for some time.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 12:25 PM

a reference on the Mad Cow Disease in USA

http://www.mass.gov/dph/cdc/factsheets/madcow.htm

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 04:04 PM

OK, sorry. I stand corrected. Obviously, if every license tag in the parking lot at some place was a government tag, it's a government operation. Apparently it's also a covert one as the ARC website is providing misinformation as to their relationship with the black helicopter-flying, subversive government-supporting, sneaky retirement plan-scheming crooks in Washington.

I apologize for any misdirection I may have provided. Stop paying your taxes now (everyone) and only give blood to your relatives.

And, for God sakes, don't eat any beef!
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 04:12 PM

laugh

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 05:07 PM

Gota be someone out there that knows for sure where the pension money goes for employees of the "American Red Cross". P.E.R.S. or S.S.. I believe that answer would answer the question, don't you think Cat? Methinks you protest too much. confused

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 05:27 PM

Hi Law,
I am 0 Neg as well, and have had to stop donating due to BZ trips. I was recently (less than 2 weeks ago) told that I am allowed to donate to immediate family at any time.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 05:49 PM

hey nole fan - good to know - before you were disqualified did they call you all the time begging for your rare blood? If vic wasn't there like clockwork we'd get a message on our answering machine.

I don't know if the policy at our blood center is the same now, but we used to designate our blood for an "account" so that the account got credit for however much we donated. If they still keep that up, we've given enough blood over the years to survive any major vampire attack.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 05:51 PM

Hon, no I picked up that saying from my father years ago>

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 05:59 PM

Whew!! It would have totally freaked me out to meet another Marauder on the board eek

Hon

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 06:01 PM

Where is the school?

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 08:02 PM

Niagara Falls Ontario. Did you or your Dad ever live in that area?

Hon

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 08:05 PM

I have an aunt living in Dreyden[spelling?]

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 08:55 PM

Take pride in the Canadian connection laugh In August we'll be going through Dryden on our first Cross Country Road Trip from east to west. We'll wave as we pass by wink

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 09:01 PM

You're right, Danny. The software company I own is really just a front for the ARC. We use it to launder blood through to the government via a big tube out in the back of our shipping department. At night, we sneak around the local area, draining blood from unsuspecting (but non-traveling) involuntary donors. Don't tell the gummint, but I actually skim some blood off the top of every shipment, sell it to the local blood fence and send the proceeds to our underground retirement fund, the People Retiring Early System (P.E.R.S.) or our sister investment brokerage account, known as Secret Systems (S.S.).

Truth be known, I really don't care. All I do for the government is send in a LOT of tax money every year. I figure it's worth it to get to live here, I suppose.

I can't tell you diddly about retirement funds for ARC, but I can tell you I'm not affiliated with them, have never worked for them, am not a government employee and never have been (well, unless you count paying taxes wink ) and I can go home and argue, if I want to.

Let us know if you uncover the truth.

In the mean time, give early, give often!! Unless, that is, your a US citizen and you've actually been to AC in the past year or so. Then I know you can't.

I think you can retire on AC, but lately that seems to be a subject of some debate as well.

Were we talking about anything important?

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 09:27 PM

I did a little searching just for fun. The first interesting hit that I found indicates that you both might be right. In other words, part of the Red Cross is a government organization and part is not.

"The Red Cross as rescuer is an organ of the government, first chartered by Congress in 1905. Its honorary chairman, the U.S. president, supplies it with a Washington, D.C., headquarters."

However, at least in theory, its blood business is not government related.

Incidently the blood business in the US is worth 3 billion a year and law suits have been filed against the Red Cross for unfair trade practices. They are accused of using their government connections (from the rescue side of their operations) to give them an unfair advantage over other for-profit and non-profit blood businesses.

Blood Money

So does it bother anybody else that some people are getting rich off of donated blood? mad

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 09:32 PM

I'm another O neg., too old to donate now.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 09:41 PM

Not in Belize

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/07/05 09:44 PM

OK, good to know.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/08/05 03:06 AM

Hon,
Are you in NFO? I lived and worked there back in the 80's. LOVED it and miss it terribly. Hope to be up for a visit soon.
Cheerz!

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/08/05 10:34 AM

CrisW, thanks for that information, very interesting. I would speculate the administrators and uper level employees are U.S. Government employees and are part of the Public Employees Retirement System. Thanks again for the research and information and sheding a little light on the subject. smile

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/08/05 11:08 AM

CrisW, I jst read your link "blood money" and was amazed and further enlightened. For us recent visitors to San Pedro who hope and expect to return maybe a blood donation center could and should be set up at the San Pedro Clinic. Let them make the money if they would take gringo blood. cool

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/08/05 03:04 PM

It really is a shame when people take advantage of other people's generosity. It sours people on giving and makes the world a crappier place to live in...
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/08/05 03:31 PM

and i thought microsoft was the only blood suckers out there

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/08/05 04:05 PM

Give blood...Play HoCaye! cool
Posted By: Wyoming Carla

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/08/05 04:06 PM

Ummm...how come you can't donate after going to Belize? Sorry, but I'm not medically minded.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/08/05 05:59 PM

because of the malaria risk
Posted By: Wyoming Carla

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/08/05 09:48 PM

Hmm....ok, thanks. laugh

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/13/05 12:20 AM

Whenever disaster happens...the Red Cross is THERE!!...to help. I am much more skeptical of the United Way than the Red Cross.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/13/05 03:37 AM

United Way??? Is that a US organization???

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/13/05 04:14 AM

Jesse Your point being?

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/13/05 04:26 AM

Never heard of "United Way" hear in Belize... is that a US organization???

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/13/05 05:21 PM

A simple web search might provide a quick answer.
Posted By: Chris

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/13/05 11:10 PM

From the American Red Cross website at http://informatics.org/redcross/blood.html#anchor48394:

Donors will be deferred if they have spent a cumulative total of six months in any combination of the following European countries since 1980:

Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores (Portugal), Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic,Denmar,k England Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Island (Denmark), Finland, France, Germany, Yugoslavia, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Republic of), Isle of Man, Italy, Kosovo, Liechtenstein, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira Islands (Portugal), Malta, Moldova (Republic of), Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, Serbia, Slovak Republic (Slovakia), Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard (Norway), Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, Vatican City, Wales

The above list is because of Mad Cow Disease. Please note the inclusion of Vatican City, the most religious "country" and Monaco, quite possible the richest per capita.

Somehow the "obtuseangler" in his second post singles Belize out for special attention. Perhaps he should be aware that ANY country on the planet where Malaria is present "attracts" the 1 year blood donation deferral in the USA.

Obtuseangler, just about country you go to on the planet you can donate blood. Bear in mind that in most countries your blood will go further than in the USA because the average body weight outside the USA is less than 350lbs.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/15/05 02:23 AM

Chris,
One, it isn't my second post on this board, two, even if it was so what?

To all who responded on topic, thank you for recognizing an issue that might be of interest.

To the knee jerk (or simply jerk) reactions of some, get a life.

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/15/05 02:59 AM

They have cows in Vatican City? cool

Re: Can't donate blood for 1 year after vist - 06/15/05 05:25 PM

Channel 5 Belize

Wanted: volunteer blood donors
Today is World Blood Donor Day...and unless you've ever had a loved one in a life or death situation, you may not realize just how important those little bags of red liquid can be. Jacqueline Woods has more.

Ronald Stuart, Pres, Volunteer Blood Donor Service
”I heard the testimony of a relative who had somebody who received blood and realized just how important it was for them knowing that I am able to give.”

Jacqueline Woods, Reporting
For the last decade thirty-nine year old Ronald Stuart has been saving lives...not as a fire-fighter or policeman, but simply by donating blood.

Ronald Stuart
”I feel like, I have a moral obligation to do it, so that’s why I continue to do it over the years and do so regularly and consistently. I know I have given I think in excess of forty units or there about.”

Today Stuart is the President of the Belize Blood Donor Service. Currently the blood bank has a sufficient supply of all blood types, but there is the need for more volunteer donors who currently make up only ten percent of the number of persons who give blood.

Ronald Stuart
”The ninety percent are made up from replacement donors who are persons who are giving on behalf of a relative or some friend that may need to have the blood replaced because of what is being used or that they require. The blood donors, who are volunteers not only are they voluntary but we are not paid for what we do, and are considered to be more safe. We have more compulsion to give and for that reason is there is no reason to misrepresent anything that would be stated or be required of us in the questionnaire that we have to full out.”

It is the second time Gregorio Najarro is donating blood to a family member. Today he is seriously considering becoming a volunteer donor.

Gregorio Najarro, Replacement Donor
”It wasn’t until last year that one of my family members was in need of blood. So since I was the closest relative I was called in as a potential blood donor; that was when I gave the first time. Now this is my second time and again one of my family members. But this time I’m more relaxed than the last time because usually the first time is when you get this—not really afraid, but you get this anxiety on you.”

Today the Belize National Blood Transfusion Service joined other organisations across the globe in observing World Blood Donor Day. Stuart used the occasion to send out a special appeal to all prospective blood donors.

Ronald Stuart
”Each and every one of us who are able to give should be able to. And think about the need, not only when you are in the position or any family member maybe, but somebody else who would need it at any point in time.”

The Blood Donor Service stresses that the procedure is not only confidential, but is safe for all involved. Jacqueline Woods for News Five.

In 2004, the Blood Donor Service launched Club Twenty-Five, a system that is used to recruit new volunteer blood donors between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five. In Belize, a donor is usually asked to give blood at least four times a year.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board