AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Loansum-Al K PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/06/05 04:35 AM
My wife and I are having a condo built just north of the cut. It will not be complete until May 2006. We have been to AC 3 times so far and will be visting in July & October to check the progress of the condo. I would like some tips from US citizens that are living there either part time or full time.
Posted By: spl Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/06/05 07:47 AM
what would you like to know in particular, glad to help. Perhaps you can make a list of questions in this topic. See you in Paradise soon!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/07/05 04:18 AM
I think many of the things we would like to know are rather basic. For example, if you're staying for a few months at a time, would it be better to have a land line for a telephone or a cell phone......would it be wise to rent our condo out while we're not there.....the best places to shop for everyday staples.....is it best to purchase furnishings, etc. on the mainland. I think someone could actually start an "Ambergris Caye Counseling" business just to answer the many questions people like us have. There are books on the topic but things change so rapidly that something written a year or two ago may not apply. We're just excited to be a part of the island!
Posted By: spl Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/07/05 06:20 AM
Hi! Glad to hear your so excited to move. I think having a land line is a good, but it depends on if you are looking to save money or not. Otherwise a prepaid cell, unless you are there quite a few months then you could get a regular cell. If you are only there a few months at a time, it is so cheap to have the landline you could keep it installed all year round. It would be wise to rent a condo while you are out there. Describe what you are looking for in the place you rent. When will you be down next?
Posted By: tincup Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/07/05 01:27 PM
Where is your condo? Reef Village? Your builder should be able to give you some information as to the prospects of renting out your condo when you are not there. That is usually part of their sales pitch.
Keep in mind that the rental season is from mid December until Easter. After that things slow down considerably so it depends on when you are going to be using the condo.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/07/05 04:36 PM
Our condo is located about an eighth of a mile north of the cut. It's a small 9 unit complex called "Bermuda Landing Resort". Chris Barenfanger, an ex-pat is building it. He's lived on the island for about 10 years. If I'm not mistaken, he was one of the contractors involved with building Banyan Bay. He is going to occupy one of the units. He just finished a larger complex just two lots north of ours. It has a blue roof.
Posted By: dolphin Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/07/05 06:14 PM
The Ambergris Caye Chamber of Commerce is happy to help newcomers adjust, and free of any financial motive other than wanting you to get involved in community projects.
You are welcome to email [email protected] with questions.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/07/05 10:20 PM
Community projects!!! I am very interested, and am looking for volunteer opportunities or community projects. wink
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/14/05 12:18 AM
Good luck getting a land line. For non residents it is $1,000 BZ and they call it a deposit. However, you never get it back. Lot's of people play the lying game and get a phone in the name of a local. Then it is only a $200 BZ deposit - which you never get back.

About renting out - maybe you should talk to your neighbors to the north who bought into Chris's first project???

By the way -the roof is white - it is the buildings that are so many shades of blue. LOL
confused
Posted By: SimonB Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/14/05 12:48 AM
No lying required, a local can vouch for you, make the $200 deposit and your name will be on the listing. Worked fine for me.
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/14/05 02:09 AM
But you still aint gettin nothin back from BTL so pay it and remember to kiss it GOODBYE as you will never see it again

There are reasons BTL posts more than 50 Mil a year in clear profit and thats just one of em

Gaz
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/14/05 09:26 PM
Hi Gaz - You going to DEMA in October? I'm already booked. Funny, I never see you here on the island, only at the trade show (which is fun!)
Harriette cool
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: PLAN ON MOVING TO AC - 06/14/05 09:32 PM
And just wait until you try to get the electric turned on. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that was $2,000 BZE - again the famous deposit ploy (never returned) Then there is the cost of the meter!

Water - you want water - Well, they would not put in separate meters so all ten units, the pool and bar are on one meter.

You will get used to the saying, "Welcome to Belize!"

But - hey - I love it. I've made wonderful friends who help me through the maze and NO - I do not grease anyone's palm. That's why I still do not have a permit for the golf cart I bought last August.

Please do read "Don't Stop the Carnival." Then, bring money and come on down.
laugh
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board