AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Bridge Construction at the cut

Posted By: hacker

Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/09/05 07:32 PM

Hey....

Did I hear somone say there's a bridge going up at the cut.... and they were starting construction in a few weeks....

is this info accurate....
or BS

hacker
Posted By: ilCATTIVO

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/09/05 07:35 PM

SIN - Do you want to answer this one?
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/10/05 12:25 AM

Accurate, according to most intelligent people.
Posted By: hacker

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/10/05 02:27 PM

hey....
Thanks....
hacker
Posted By: ilCATTIVO

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/10/05 04:02 PM

SIN - "most intelligent people"? If I was any smarter I'd think that was directed at me.
Posted By: boricua

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/10/05 06:11 PM

A bridge at the cut sounds like progress.Anyone know of any plans to improve access to the north part of a.c. through a better road,having purchased a lot at Habaneros I would love to have access other than by water taxi, sometime in the near future. As I would like to build a vacation home there someday.Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/10/05 08:53 PM

The near future in Belize is within the next 10-15 years. That's probably how long you'll wait to see a "real" road up to Habaneros in my un-educated opinion.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/11/05 12:52 AM

I was there in January and there was no talk of a bridge in the NEAR future. Let's cut to the chase, is construction going to be under way soon........I think that's BS....I'm headed down there in a few weeks for 12 days.....guess I'll find out.

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/11/05 05:22 AM

Actually this time the announcement came only a few weeks before the start date. It does give some confidence to know that they're really putting their reputations on the line to commit that close to the start date. No one will forget if they don't come through and we have elections on the way. Private financing appears to be a key factor in the start up as well.

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/11/05 03:27 PM

SimonB, I was born & raised in New Orleans. I moved to the Northwest in 1973, but if I remember correctly, there was a "Lagniappe Provisioning" in New Orleans. Any connection? I think you provide a great service.

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/11/05 07:21 PM

Nope, thankfully I was only in grade school in Oakville, Ontario back in '73. The name comes from a couple of friends of mine who helped me get the business started here on the island, they owned the famous but now closed Lagniappe Restaurant across from Fido's. Dan's roots are based in New Orleans hence the Cajun connection.

la-gniappe
(LAN-yap)

n. Chiefly Southern Louisiana & Mississippi

A small gift given a customer by a merchant at the time of purchase; broadly: something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure.

[Louisiana French, from American Spanish la Napa, the gift : la, the (from Latin illa, feminine of ille, that, the; see al-1 in Indo-European roots)+ ñapa (variant of yapa, gift, from Quechua, from yapay, to give more).]

"We picked up one excellent word" wrote Mark Twain in Life on the Mississippi (1883), "a word worth traveling to New Orleans to get; a nice limber, expressive, handy word --'lagniappe.'
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/13/05 01:46 AM

Everybody wants something! Those of us who live north of the cut have not been in favor of a bridge for a long time. However,there is so much construction going on up north that the stream of workers on bicycles has caused a lot of problems. Even though there are signs posted stating that golf carts are to load first whenever there are no police for enforcement it is ignored. The rudeness of the workers crowding ahead of golf carts has caused many ugly confrontations. I’m sorry to say that the northerners are caving in and beginning to support the construction of a bridge.

Even though the elected officials swear that it will be divided in the middle and each lane will only be wide enough for golf carts, the toll plaza in the middle is removable.

It has repeatedly been reported that Barry Bowen was financing the bridge. A few weeks ago that was clarified to mean that he is loaning the officials the money. It is also rumored that an outfit doing a large development has contributed money to somebody’s pocket. That is a rumor only.

So, you may ask “Why do you not want a bridge and a road?” The answer is simple – who wants the traffic mess and torn up roads with the dust and noise that now exists in town? We like our quiet golf carts that just bump along.

People who invest up north might want to keep in mind how successful the existing resorts have been without a bridge and road. There are still a lot of people who ‘come here to get away from it all.”

I guess it may happen – but I am not going to hold my breath.
:p

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/13/05 11:42 PM

Loansum

SMALL WORLD!

Hi this is Scubaldy from the Ambergris Caye message board. Can you believe I have a sister who now lives in Sequim?
eek

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/13/05 11:48 PM

Opps - I tried sending this to your e-mail and it bounced. shocked

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/14/05 12:43 AM

From the Chamber of Commerce Meeting Minutes, June 9, 2005:

8-Boca del Rio Bridge Update:

Chamber President, Tom Vidrine, has met with the Honorable Area Representative, Manuel Heredia. Tom was told that the bridge should begin construction within a week's time and will be up and ready for use in about 2 months after construction begins. The width of the bridge will be 22 feet and there will be an 8 foot clearance underneath during high tide.

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/24/05 08:07 PM

...........and people laughed and said it wouldn't happen.................

Tiger's course is next folks!!!!!!!!!!!

"One to grow on"

CIN
Posted By: indygal

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/25/05 02:23 PM

So what does it cost to cross the bridge?
Posted By: papashine

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/25/05 02:29 PM

Heard it will be same as ferry charges.

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/25/05 07:05 PM

I thought the bridge was complete and "up and running". Can someone confirm that? We're heading down next Wednesday.

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/25/05 07:06 PM

ScubaLdy, you would surely know if it's finished. You could probably see it from your window!

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/25/05 07:21 PM

I don't recall anyone saying it was finished (or anyone with any sense), my post in the other thread only indicated that there was activity in the area not that it had started or been finished. I will post updates as they become available.

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/25/05 08:42 PM

I guess doggums was yanging our chain when he posted on June 23 that it was finished and he was the 13th one to cross! :p confused

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/25/05 10:59 PM

Like I said, no one with any sense. :rolleyes:
Posted By: boricua

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 06/26/05 12:11 AM

SO THE BRIDGE IS GOING TO HAPPEN,I ONLY HOPE A DECENT ROAD WILL FOLLOW DESPITE THE OBVIOUS CONCERN OF SOME.PROGRESS IS NOT A DIRTY WORD IN SOME CIRCLES AND LAND OWNERS ARE PAYING TAXES AND DESERVE ACCESS TO THEIR PROPERTIES

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 11/30/05 03:57 PM

HEY!

Pigs are flying!!

It IS a cold day in Hell!!!

And a monkey just crawled out of someone's ***.

We're gonna have a BRIDGE folks!!

Wutch all ya'll doubters gots to say now?
Posted By: krehfish

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 11/30/05 04:25 PM

"It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings"
Posted By: indygal

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 11/30/05 04:41 PM

Did you walk over it yet?

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 11/30/05 04:41 PM

SIN, how far along are they. We're heading down for 30 days end of January. Any chance it'll be complete by then?

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 11/30/05 06:36 PM

Should be done by then barring any issues.
Posted By: Corona Steve

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 12/01/05 02:17 PM

Long time coming, finally some good news.
North AC will be the new city, airports, eating places, and fine, planned out resorts.
No Disney here, thanks, but nice dev. and progress. Power, also to the North.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 12/01/05 02:35 PM

A timetable for all that?
Posted By: Corona Steve

Re: Bridge Construction at the cut - 12/01/05 04:41 PM

You are right, I will sit back and follow
Working on being in town Dec 10 thru 12 leave on 13.
Can I come and visit you.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board