AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Do you have $20 in your pocket?

Posted By: SimonB

Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/29/05 09:16 PM

You do? Fantastic! That $20 will go a long way towards helping the Saga Humane Society reach their goal of building a new animal clinic. Donations can be made through the Saga website at //www.ambergriscaye.com/sagasociety/donation.html

Please take 5 minutes of your time to make a donation. If you've found any of my posts on this board to be helpful think of it as a pay back. This cause is very close to my heart and I ask everyone to please help out in any way you can.

On October 1st Saga will be evicted from our current facilities and we're trying to raise funds to build a new clinic. While donations are coming in it looks like there is no way they'll be able to get the new facilities up in time unless we radically increase the number of donations or find an angel to front the cost while we work towards raising funds.

Without a clinic on the island the health of the islands animals would rapidly go downhill and we'd soon be seeing increasing numbers of strays and malnourished animals on the streets.

Hundreds read this board and if everyone could give just $20 it would go a long way towards helping us meet our goals.

Cheers,

Simon...
Posted By: zapmadcitizen

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/29/05 09:27 PM

How about helping the poor people first? we need to try to help out the homeless, the children whose parents cannot afford to send them to school. i'm sorry...i love animals, i do...but to me this is seems a bit ludicrous to donate 20bucks a piece for your project. i might as well open my own society for the poor. i understand your love for animals...i do but i simply do not agree. poverty is one of the most serious and persistent problems affecting our economy. some may argue that the homeless are in the situation they are in because of pure laziness. why dont we offer them more jobs so that they dont turn to crime which in turn affects us????

i think right now, there are more serious issues to deal with than this.
i hope you do not take this as offensive simon. i respect what you're doing i just have to voice my opinion. i do not know how many of you out there agree but for those of you who dont...
well i can't win them all...but i shall try!

yours truly,

zapmadcitizen

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/29/05 09:39 PM

You are most certainly welcome to your opinion. You also have to remember that Saga provides low cost or no cost care to those families who wish to have a pet but cannot afford to provide vaccination, spay/neuter, flea and tick medication and the list goes on. That pet may be the most important thing in a childs life. Take away the ability to love and care for something from a child and they may not learn what it is to give without wanting in return. That my friend is a recipe for a delinquent.

I have my cause and donate significant amounts of my own time and money. Actions speak. Why have you not started your own society for the poor? Why not start an employment clearing house for those without jobs? Why not start a business where you employ as many as possible and take nothing in return? It's fine to denigrate this cause and espouse another but not if you don't back up your words with actions.
Posted By: govikes

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/29/05 11:40 PM

Simon, can we go directly to SAGA and donate? I personally find the other comments on this thread disgusting. Obviously we are all supposed to think exactly like maphed or zapmap or whatever or we are wrong. As someone who has seen a HUGE difference in the condition of dogs and all animals in particular on this island compared to the way it was when I first starting visiting in '98, I think SAGA has done a great job, in improving the health of the animals and in educating everyone on how to maintain their health. It would be a shame to see all their good work start reversing itself at this point!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 12:22 AM

I feel guilty because I share Simon's sentiments but have never put my hand in my pocket. I will now.

Picking up on Simon's second point, it is standard in UK hospitals for animals to be taken into wards caring for disturbed people. It was long ago discovered that relating to an animal greatly helps in developing social skills.
Posted By: BDinAZ

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 01:18 AM

We will be down next week @ Banana B and will forego a few Belikins to visit the shelter and donate $20 of "happy hour" funds.
Not meaning to deviate from the thread, but does Fidos or any other place in town have a donation jar or similar set up for the family of Mr. Almendarez?
Posted By: njmichael

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 01:57 AM

Simon- Yours is an noble cause. I don't have a printer or a fax machine in my house but you can expect myself and Mrs. njmichael to make a direct donation online at the Saga website tonight as we have in the past.

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 02:48 AM

Simon- We were trying to submit our donation on line as we won't see you till October. Should we mail to you as the Saga site is giving us an Error 403 page when we tried to submit- we only tried a couple times tonight and the same thing happened.

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 03:12 AM

Thank you all for your support, if you wish you can donate through the Saga website as well. The link is //www.ambergriscaye.com/sagasociety/donation.html I just checked it and it works fine.

Cheers,

Simon....
Posted By: Gwennan

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 03:26 AM

Simon, I will be donating as well. I second what Govikes said!!

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 03:27 AM

Is there any way if you can tell if our two attempts at donations went through? They would be under the name Michelle Benedict. Please let us know. Thank you!
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 03:50 AM

And, in case you haven't figured it out yet, it's only twenty bucks Simon's asking for.

Just do it. I never met an island dog I didn't like.

Then go over to www.sanpedrosc.org and do the same thing for the kids' school lunch program.

Forty bucks total, for God's sake. Skip whatever.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 03:52 AM

SimonB, I will donate to SAGA. Your intentions are very well taken....so are the many that have posted regarding this topic. I think everyone has to look at the whole picture. The main thing is GIVING.....what ever you can afford.....and to what ever cause you feel good about......just give. My wife and I will be living on AC soon. We will be taking the beautiful benefits the Island has to offer....we will also support every cause we are able to afford. To each his own.....do not criticize....step up to the plate and GIVE to whatever cause you think you should support....don't EVER question someone who wants to GIVE. Enough said! smile
Posted By: Gela

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 04:25 AM

Simon - I will bring my $20 with me in 2 weeks and deliver in person. Thank you for reminding us that the current shelter will have to be relinquished in October.

So many worthy causes have been discussed on this message board, and always, everyone has step up to the plate and rallied to each and every cause. I hope that this cause is no exception.

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 07:04 AM

Simon - Our $20 comes w/us Sept 1. Also, I have a few small stainless steel feeding dishes and some used collars and leashes from my departed dalmation which are too big for our new mutt from the pound. Could SAGA use these if we brought them along?
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 08:40 AM

...I only have a ball of string and an unknown key in my pocket, but they're yours!!!!
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 02:10 PM

simon yours is a good cause .keep up the good work.and will help you guys anyway I can as you as you already know ..and I will do more,,,..make it happen.. ..cheers..
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 02:25 PM

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi.

Mr. Ghandi belived deeply in the rights of people. He understood that compassion and wisdom are all-pervasive attitudes that do not turn off and on from one creature or situation to the next.

For those who want benefit from their investment in SAGA., I offer the following food for thought -
Health? - rabies, roaming packs of dogs et.
Tourism? - starving dogs and cats laying around the streets of San Pedro are not exactly what our guests want to see.
Friendship - a well-trained pet is a good companion, a comfort to elderly or confined persons, a playmate to a child, and can be a defender to the weak.

The old way in San Pedro was to go out with poison every six months and kill dogs and cats found on the street - painfully - is this the message you want to pass on to the disadvantaged children of the village? Kill dogs / kill cats? Great thinking, what wonderful citizens that makes.

Balance, balance. All of us - people, plants, animals, rocks and water - all of us - are part of life. None of it can be ignored without damaging the rest.

It is entirely possible to support Saga, give scholarships to kids, sponsor bike races for grown-ups, donate to criminal-reward funds, by stuff you don't need from people who are trying to make a dollar, and pick up garbage off the beach - all of it needs doing, and if you get your head in the right place, doing it will come as naturally as breathing.

If you have a computer and time to be on this board, you have more than $20 extra. Try skipping lunch (or after-work drinks) once a week, take your lunch-money and donate it to something as grass-roots as SAGA - without fanfare, without somebody badgering you do to it. You'll feel better inside and out.

Most charities have at least an 80% overhead - Red Cross, United Way - read their disclosures - at most, 20 cents of every dollar you give gets to a repient - not too good. At SAGA every dollar is spent on the project.

These animals have nobody but us.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 03:10 PM

O.K. Simon, I will send mine down next week, but I ain't skippin' nuthin !

Ernie

www.sanpedrosc.org

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 05:36 PM

way to go boss! wink

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 05:37 PM

Diane - everyone- what great responses. Diane, you really made us think. You are why we want to return to Belize. We found the nicest most caring people without even trying. All the best. See you in October.
Posted By: sassnfun

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 06:40 PM

[Linked Image]

BRAVO to all that donate!!! Diane good points and Simon your doing a very good thing!

what if the place is not built by the time the lease is up,is there a temperary place or perhaps foster homes for the animals???

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 06:52 PM

We're starting to look for a small space that we can rent to do the once a week vet clinic but we probably wouldn't be open in the mornings Monday to Friday as we are now.

The dogs will be fine as they're kept at the kennels (where the new clinic will be built), it's the cats that we'll have problems with as they stay at the clinic.

A huge thank you for all of your support, I'm overwhelmed. I'm happy to see that one person putting down our cause has brought out the best in everyone else.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 07:26 PM

damn diane you got me balling

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 07:55 PM

The last donation to come in did it to me. A huge thank you to AK from Sequim, Washington.

Another huge thank you to the Roberts family from Omaha, NE. The list goes on and on, I want to thank you all.

By the way Diane gets kudos’ as being the first donation for our fundraising efforts and of course Marty as well for his continuous support to this cause and the SPSC.
Posted By: IRM

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 08:07 PM

Simon, Irm and I will find you to make our donation in person when we get to SP late this week. The work you and your organization do is heroic. mo
Posted By: LBI Jerseyboy

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 09:48 PM

having donated earlier today maybe the dogs who chased us on our golf cart in April, will cut us some slack the next time we drive at night north of the cut. Anyhow, glad to help and best of luck with the new clinic to everyone involved.

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 11:07 PM

If you give me their names and description I'll have a little talk with them. Thanks again for the donation. S...

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 11:20 PM

LMAO Simon..they were probably kinda RUFF looking :p

Please keep us posted on Saga's progress..if I do end up moving to the Island I will not be bringing my dogs for the first year.I will contact them about donating some time so I can get my puppy fix and help them out.

Does ANYBODY have e-mail addys for Vicki Campbell or the Chinese torture guy that do massage on the island??

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 11:44 PM

Ya gotta Luv this face!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/30/05 11:57 PM

Hi LBI Jerseyboy

It was probably my dog that chased you up north. As was mentioned earlier dogs are great companions and good protection. My dog does not like people cutting through "his" property.
The road along side the Reef Village project is a mess and bikes and golf carts keep breaking down the fence and zooming through on what may look to sme like a back road. It is amazing to me how many people have no respect for property lines then complain when they are chased.
Yes, the beach is ‘the Queens Way’ and the public has the right to walk or bicycle along this. The strip behind my place is not on the beach and is private property.

I am doing all I can to protect my dog. I’m sorry that some people become very frightened when he chases them and barks. He’s not a big guy but has a BIG bark. If you watch he never gets really close and never nips. He chases people until they get to the road.

He was a starved and beaten puppy that a neighbor rescued from the beach a year ago. He was going to take him to SAGA the next day and I said I would take him home to see how he was. I was staying in my new place for the first time that night. He shook uncontrollably for three days and for a month every time I moved my right arm he flinched. Five days later when I took him to SAGA for his shots he weighed only six pounds.
A couple of months later when SAGA had their annual fund raising party and contest Pepe won best of show. When he was six months old he had an appointment with Dr. Shelia and was neutered. The entire procedure was only BZ $45.00. His first visit and all his shots was only BZ $35. They do an amazing job and for very low cost. What do you think these services would cost in the US?

He is very lovable and loves people and is a genuine 45 pound pot licker. He did not start chasing until his best friend, Tessa, was poisoned and died. What would you do it that happened to you? At that time 13 dogs ‘up north’ were poisoned and ten died. We posted a $1,000 reward for the capture and conviction of the person doing this. The poisoning stopped after the posters went up.

Now it has started again on the south end of the island. A guy actually has a picture of the XXXXX man reaching through the fence with the poisoned food. He filed a police report and I took a flyer to SAGA. Nothing has been done.

Everyone will tell you, you can not have a more loyal pet then one that is rescued. When he is not out chasing you guys he sits not at my feet but on my foot.

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/31/05 12:04 AM

great picture! How did you post it?

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/31/05 12:43 AM

Hi Scubalady!! I spoke with your neighbor Judy V about this awhile back..what a sad thing and if my best friend was poisoned I would be doing more then chasing...

You can get pics off google (images) or your harddrive and go to www.imageshack.us and hit the browse and then I take the very last option they give in jpg form bring it in here and put [img] in from of it and [/img] behind it do a preview post and wa lahhhhh its posted!

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/31/05 01:31 AM

I just received a private message (I didn’t know there was such a thing) asking me to remove my post as they thought it was racist and that it was negative to SAGA. I want to assure everyone that I love SAGA and am a supporter. If that did not come across I apologize.
Maybe I should have just posted the picture instead of describing the man. Oooppps - is that sexist saying it was a man?

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/31/05 02:03 AM

Simon just keep on keeping on and Cover your Ass or all the donations will have to be used for bail money.... eek

for whats its worth I did not take Harriets comment about Saga negatively just that she was frustrated with seeing it happen again.
Posted By: 1BKeeper

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/31/05 03:17 AM

About the dogs in San Pedro.....
When I was visiting in February I was most impressed with a dog that I saw on the side of the road one afternoon. It was backed up to a cinder block and doing its business in one of the holes. No mess to step around or in! (Except for the owner of the block!)
Posted By: seashell

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/31/05 08:23 AM

Frankly, I find it kinda difficult to imagine a Rastaman poisoning dogs.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/31/05 01:41 PM

Just because a man has dreadlocks doesn't make him a rastaman. Rastafarian is a religion and philosophy of life, an internal way of thinking. You're right, a true rasta would never poison dogs...but a "rastaphoney" might.
Posted By: LBI Jerseyboy

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/31/05 03:37 PM

Whoa! Just because we're from NJ doesn't mean we have disregard for other people's property. WE were very conscious of our surroundings and paid particular attention to the small signs warning of "no trespassing", or "You are entering Queens Village beware Of Nazman". We were staying at the Capricorn and that is where we were chased by the dogs. Please keep the donations coming to SAGA a wonderful cause....

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/31/05 04:10 PM

The picture is not of a Rasta it's of a gringo which is one reason I asked Harriet to revise her post (not delete). The other was that the wording implies that nothing was or has been done about poisoning. Harriet is just not aware of the efforts that were and are being made.

No dogs should be running free no matter who owns them. They should be in a fenced yard or on a tie out and should be supplied with sufficient shelter, food and water. If all dog owners on the island adhered to that philosophy there would be a lot fewer strays and a lot fewer problems.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/31/05 04:18 PM

Harriet's post has been edited to remove the offending word.

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 07/31/05 04:35 PM

[Linked Image]
Please donate. Don't make us release Fluffy!

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 08/08/05 02:17 PM

Hi Ernie,

Just wanted to let you know that I met up with travelqueen on Sunday and she passed on your donation and the SPSC donation as well.

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Simon...
Posted By: NORI

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 08/08/05 04:43 PM

Hi SimonB,

I went to the Saga site to donate & the credit card expiration thingie only goes to 2008.

I can't fax out of state or I would do it thru you.

Fluffy is sooo cute!

Nori
Posted By: NORI

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 08/09/05 06:43 PM

I was able to fax the form to you after all.

But the web site should be fixed...

Good luck with your efforts!

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 08/09/05 07:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I'll let Marty know.

S...

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 08/11/05 09:30 PM

The website (//www.ambergriscaye.com/sagasociety/index.html)is now fixed and accepts credit card expiry dates past 2008. Thanks again NORI!

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 08/12/05 01:54 AM

Hi Simon-How are you doing with donations?
We won't see you till October. Best of luck with everything. BTW- we'd love to unleash Fluffy up here in NJ- any chance he/she goes on tour?
-"Mrs.NJMichael"

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 08/14/05 05:39 PM

I've been asked a few times now to set up a "thermometer" for our donations and goals. Once I get back from the states I promise to get something up and running.

Our goal is to raise $100,000 for the new clinic. It's going to be a tough target to reach but something we HAVE to do for the good of the animals and the island itself.

Thanks again to all those who've donated already and thanks in advance for those who have it in their plans.
Posted By: BDinAZ

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 08/15/05 12:24 AM

Just got back from Paradise and am slowly working my way through the pics.
[Linked Image]
We stopped by SAGA a few minutes after they opened last Monday and these kids were already there helping out.
What a wonderful group of people there!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My new best friend.

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 08/15/05 01:01 AM

Dude, love the picture with the little kitten. We'll remind everyone of the great work SAGA does and encourage continued support from all. They're doing great work & I hope everyone will support them as their means allow.

Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 08/17/05 02:18 PM

Just a quick update before I head out. Total funds collected so far in our quest to build a new clinic - $13,000BZ. We have local pledges for another $1000BZ, a grant in the works for $10,000BZ and a bequest for $20,000BZ. Hopefully those funds will be in by the end of September.

If all the pledges and donations are added up we have raised about $45,000BZ. That leaves us needing about $55,000 to raise in order to get the clinic built.

Any help in our fundraising efforts would be greatly appreciated as we will be evicted from the current facilities on October 1st and we would also like to bring down the new vet as soon as possible to get a huge spay/neuter drive going.

Rabies clinics will be held on August 25th and 26th. If anyone wishes to volunteer please contact the Health Inspector - John Bodden at 226-2555.

Cheers,

Simon...
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board