AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: wbarryh october vacation - 08/02/05 03:15 PM
my girlfriend & i are over forty & don't want to "party every nite" but want the option. from what i have read i believe the northern area of ac would suite us just fine. does anyone have any first hand knowledge of portofino and or mata chica. is one better that the other. is it difficult to get to sp from there? any help or info would be greatly appreicated.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: october vacation - 08/02/05 04:21 PM
Both establishments are lovely.
Ask them about the regularity of boat-runs to town.
Posted By: shelley Re: october vacation - 08/02/05 10:56 PM
wbarryh,

Both those places are great. I happened to love Cp. Morgan's. Friendly helpful people, clean property, quite, mostly couples & honey mooners. Both my husband & I are over 40 and find the north side is very quite and very relaxing. There are 2 great resturants, Capicorn's & Rendevous that can be walked to from CM's. If you want to have some more lively action just take the water taxi into San Pedro. You can always find a way back, no matter what time it is.
Posted By: jaycubed Re: october vacation - 08/02/05 11:43 PM
My husband and I went to Mata Chica's for dinner one night. They were very friendly. However the clientele seemed really stuffy and uppity. Service was really good and staff very nice. We stayed at Los Encantos/Villa del Sol. It is a private house. Very quiet. Pool. Private pier. There are three houses at Los Encantos that are rented out and one house of a permanent residence. After staying in a private home, I was spoiled for staying in a resort or hotel. However, I am in my early 30s and not into the ritzy side of things. Just into relaxing laid back atmosphere. Had lunch at Captain Morgans. Food was awesome and staff was exceptional, but once again a little to "resorty" for me.
Posted By: wbarryh Re: october vacation - 08/03/05 03:25 PM
thanks everyone for the insightful info. we don't like being around the "stuffy or uppity" crowd either. how is the beach @ cp. morgan's? i here some of the resorts have not so great beaches. can you swim & snorkle right there off the beach? do the guests fish around the piers? are the beach cabanas nice? do you need air-conditioning @ nite?
Posted By: Terrapin Re: october vacation - 08/03/05 03:36 PM
Cap'n Morgan's beach is nice and wide, but not real swimmable unless you don't mind alot of seagrass. We stayed there a couple days on our last trip and really liked it, but there is very little to do up there. I am no longer into the partying scene either, but I was glad we only stayed there a short time.

I wouldn't worry too much about loud partying hordes closer to town. We stayed at the Palms right next to Ramon's which is supposed to be one of the more lively places and I wasn't bothered one time. (light sleeper)
Posted By: shelley Re: october vacation - 08/03/05 08:04 PM
The beach area as quite a bit of seagrasss, but they clean it everyday. You can fish off most of the piers, but too much grass. But they have 2 fresh water pools (one with a swimup bar) & a resturant with graet food. They have a wonderful chef that will cook up your fresh catch any way you want it. They also have bikes, kayak's, & snorkel gear that they lend out to the guests. They have a small grocery store & laundry mat on the back of the property. I don't find it "resorty" at all. Not alot of families w/kids stay there. Mostly an older crowd. NOT that I'm old..... smile wink
Posted By: shelley Re: october vacation - 08/03/05 08:06 PM
Also, the cabana's are nice. They all have air conditioning, but that night breeze is awesome!
Posted By: Terrapin Re: october vacation - 08/04/05 03:13 PM
Re: the 2 pools. You can only use the one by the restaurant if you are staying in a timeshare. So really you only have access to one (the smaller one with no swim-up bar)

The sea grass is raked from the beach but it is very heavy in the water. I don't mind it but some do.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board