AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Pica Pica

Posted By: SuzyQ

Pica Pica - 08/12/05 12:12 AM

Planning our third visit to AC for late spring, early summer of 2006. Question is, how long is Pica Pica around? I did a search and didn't find anything real definative. We've always come in December and January so we've never run into it. Never worried about it before and I don't plan on worrying about it now but I spend alot of time in the water and if a few weeks either way will avoid it, then why not! Any info appreciated.
Posted By: diane&greg

Re: Pica Pica - 08/12/05 02:42 AM

What is pica pica and when is it around?
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

Re: Pica Pica - 08/12/05 06:48 AM

it is not around right now...I am in the sea several days a week. It was around in May.
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Pica Pica - 08/12/05 01:10 PM

diane&greg
try the search function at the top of the page. You may get an answer to your question wink

Re: Pica Pica - 08/12/05 08:10 PM

NYgal, did the whole search thing twice and came with info on seasafe and suncreen to protect but not really on when it appears and how long it stays. I was looking for some of the locals to help me on this one. I can't come during the winter months this year so it has to be spring or summer. I think I would rather bring seasafe then deet so I am looking towards May/June rather than July/August. It won't matter when it is there, still going!
Posted By: Magnum Belize

Re: Pica Pica - 08/12/05 08:54 PM

May/June would be a higher liklihood of pica pica than July/August. May seems to be the worst of the months although this year April was bad too.

Re: Pica Pica - 08/12/05 09:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards mid June. I'll load up on seasafe and sunscreen and deet. Haven't needed either on the last two trips. Just a homing signal to get me back to the Mayan Princess at the end of the night.
laugh Which works better at repeling Pica Pica, Belikin or Barrel one?
Posted By: Donna M

Re: Pica Pica - 08/13/05 05:28 PM

OK...someone tell me what Pica Pica is because we are coming in may....I am assuming it is not a type of salsa!!!!
Posted By: john robertsdenver

Re: Pica Pica - 08/13/05 06:15 PM

Donna M, Pica pica,aka sea lice is an almost microscopic organism, actually i think a verrrry tiny jelly fish that can get trapped between your suit and skin and sting you raising welts and causing severe itching, if you come up thru a pool of them from below you can get them all over your face and arms. they typically appear april may and can go into june. last year for some reason was an especially bad year starting in april and going thru june , for i was there the week of 27th april and got stung up. there is a product called safe sea, that is sold over the internet simply google those 2 words safe sea and it will hook you up with retailers...leasure pro sells it at abt' 10 bucks a bottle....john in denver
Posted By: klcman

Re: Pica Pica - 08/13/05 07:53 PM

Monkey Business has/had it at Banana Beach. And IIRC, so do some of the dive shops, right Pedro2? Any probably other places as well.
Posted By: taagbu

Re: Pica Pica - 08/13/05 09:26 PM

We were in AC the second week in July and two of my sons got what we were told was pica pica. They both had a rash on their lower backs and was very itchy. When we returned to US I took them to the doctor and he had no idea what it was and gave them some ointment. The rash and itching went away less than two weeks.
Posted By: WhiteWater

Re: Pica Pica - 08/13/05 09:42 PM

We were recently on the Big Island of HI, and I got stung by similiar organisms. Our boat captain had a spray bottle of vinegar, spritz'd me, and 5 minutes later I could barely feel the stings. She said you can also pee on the stings (as they say for jellyfish), but I requested the vinegar.

This may not be the same creature, but maybe vinegar is a good treatment for Pica Pica also.
Posted By: Sam Scuba

Re: Pica Pica - 08/14/05 01:34 AM

Safe Sea works for some, but it certainly didn't stop the sea lice from stinging me. I was in Roatan in late April and May and came home with multiple stings in spite of wearing Safe Sea on my dives. I have seen many posts here that state it worked for others.

If you are a diver and wear neoprene, be sure to get the Safe Sea with no SPF in it--the SFP eats the neoprene. laugh
Posted By: Donna M

Re: Pica Pica - 08/14/05 03:59 PM

John in Denver...thanks for the reply....will make certain my divers are protected. 6-8 of us going in May...I am the only non diver.
Posted By: jbilicska

Re: Pica Pica - 08/22/05 11:52 PM

How does June fare for these pica pica (sea lice) Or should we as snorkelers wait until July cool
Posted By: USNA73

Re: Pica Pica - 08/23/05 06:47 PM

Two mid/late June visits for us and no evidence of pica pica during either trip. Tulu told us that it was long gone at that time of year. cool
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Pica Pica - 08/23/05 11:11 PM

Pica Pica, like the weather, is unpredictable. It depends on the temperature of the water. Just like cats and dogs, the jelly fish seem to ‘come into heat.’ Some years it is as early as April and others as late as June.
As the ocean temperature heats up those little Thimble Jelly’s start laying their eggs.
So, it is really hard to out figure it. By the same token, you can dive at one dive site and not have any and a little ways away have a lot. These larvae drift with the tides.
Everything that has been mentioned works – sometimes. Think of it like Poison Oak or Poison Ivy – if you go into the woods it will probably be there! JUST BEWARE!
Grease up –
Wash off –
Wash your swim suits – latex skins – wet suits well with soapy water and hang in the sun for a short period of time.
Here is an example of where it is better to get pissed on than pissed off. (sorry – couldn’t help myself)
RELAX – DON’T WORRY! Either you get it or you don’t
cool
Posted By: jbilicska

Re: Pica Pica - 08/24/05 12:43 AM

Thanks for all the helpful info. cool

Re: Pica Pica - 08/24/05 02:20 AM

Looks like we are coming in May so we will stock up on sea safe!
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board