AmbergrisCaye.com Home

How crowded is Ambergris?

Posted By: DonnaF

How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/15/05 03:07 PM

I really hate to ask such a dumb question! But when 9000 people were evacuated from AC before Emily, I began to wonder just how crowded is this place?

Why do I ask??

I love people, but I hate crowds.

Some of you are saying there are 9000 people in my office building. Well, there are only 10,000 people in my whole home town!

SO, we are debating between Placencia and AC - or splitting this time with maybe 3 nights each. Plus we will have 5 nights in the Cayo area.

For our beach time, we will certainly be snorkeling, maybe some fishing, but for my down time of doing nothing but relaxing on the beach - will it be body to body on the beach?! I guess I have fears of Cancun or Jamaica or even that tiny little Dominican Republic area where you can't step on the beach without tripping over someone!

A crowd at a restaurant or bar is not a problem, unless it means long lines to get a table.

I am leaning toward booking Mata Rocks for this portion.

Help me to get a sense of this area, please.

Thanks
Posted By: Now Danny

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/15/05 03:18 PM

Not to worry. cool
Posted By: njmichael

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/15/05 03:23 PM

Don't worry, AC is nothing like Cancun. The only times I saw anything even approaching a crowd is when the ferry from the mainland would arrive, and they generally dispersed quickly or hung out on the piers waiting for the dive trips.

Otherwise, unless someplace is having a barbeque or something, you never have to worry about large crowds.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/15/05 05:17 PM

AC is not all that crowded (by other tourist place standards) but Placencia is less crowded for sure.
Posted By: reaper

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/15/05 05:17 PM

DonnaF, Hang out in San Pedro for a weekend and enjoy the night life, great food and the town, and then head to Placencia for a slice of peaceful paradise. Easy to do and both spots are great in their own way. cool
Posted By: sandb

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/15/05 11:09 PM

There are three hotels in Las Vegas that each have more rooms than all of AC has...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/16/05 12:57 AM

Absolutely packed. Can't move for all the geckos and land crabs.
Posted By: Denny Shane

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/16/05 01:24 PM

Donna, of all the times I've been down to AC, the words packed, over-crowded, a mob scene has never entered my mind. The major rush hour grid-lock is usually caused by ducks out for a walk in the afternoon.

You're going to be fine Donna... eek
Posted By: bamj

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/16/05 11:43 PM

Just came back from AC.
We did not even see people on our walk into town. We had a great time. Food was delicious. Fishing was great.
Posted By: indygal

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/17/05 12:22 AM

Oh I saw a crowd once, it was a parade of children. We could not move down the street, had to just stand and watch the children with smiles ear to ear.
Dear Donna, I have been to Cancun and Playa del Carmen, both have beautiful beaches, as long as you do not mind being elbow to elbow with strangers.
Enjoy Belize laugh
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/17/05 01:54 AM

Now here's a crowd!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CHOOCHOO

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/17/05 01:58 AM

Jesse,

That picture must have been from the All Saints Day parade for the elementary school that "indygal" mentioned.
Posted By: Gwennan

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/17/05 01:59 AM

It looks like the Jersey shore!!
Posted By: reaper

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/17/05 03:24 AM

immissing...was that this years Lake Conroe Bash???? If so I'm IN next year!!!!! laugh cool
Posted By: DJH

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/17/05 10:26 AM

The biggest crowd I have ever seen is the one when they made us leave the island because of Emily. And it was at the the airport. The next biggest crowd would be the chiken drop at the Pier Lounge.

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/17/05 02:51 PM

OK I think I get it! LOL

Be careful not to step on geckos and land crabs.
Stay away from Las Vegas.
Don't return to Cancun.
Stand aside and watch the children.
Stay away from the New Jersey shore!
Be sure not to get there during a hurricane.
Disperse from the ferry dock quickly.
And Jesse that picture is quite spectacular, sure hope I don't end up there someday!

Thank you - Lots of funny relaxing remarks to set me to ease. It was just those 9000 people evacuated, AC must be a bit larger than I expect.

But seriously, I had considered splitting our beach time between Placencia and Ambergris. But now feel that 2 nights here and 3 nights there will not allow us to truly appreciate our surroundings.

We have traveled to Costa Rica the past 4 years, and our beach time there has ranged from funky little beach towns to lodges down in the Osa with maybe 6 other people.

I must admit that I thought Belize was going to be an easy itinerary to set. However through my research I have now decided it may take another trip or two.

Thank you all!
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/17/05 09:20 PM

It is easy. You just show up and take it from there. And DON'T miss the World-Famous Chicken Drop. That's a fun crowd!
Posted By: klcman

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/18/05 12:02 AM

Maybe Smokie should start up the hermit crab races again - Prez Bill - can't you work on that?
Posted By: Chloe

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/18/05 04:51 PM

AMAZING...check the lower right hand corner of the picture......there stands Paisano and Chloe on the beach in RIO. wink
Posted By: snorkelgirl

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/18/05 06:35 PM

DonnaF,

The only crowd I saw was all the fabulous fish on the reef!

I think the max wait I had was maybe two people ahead of me in line at the beach BBQ.

We had some days on AC and some days in the Cayo district. It was great to experience a little of each, yet it just wasn't enough time on AC. Within 3 months of my return stateside. I began planning and saving for a return trip.

Enjoy tour trip!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/19/05 01:10 AM

Ambergris Caye is not crowded by the standards of many Mayan Riviera or main Caribbean destinations.

On the other hand, in the 14 or 15 years or so I've been visiting San Pedro, the increase in development, especially in the 2 or 3 miles south of town, is incredible. Not so many years ago, it used to be a small town, hardly more than a village. Now it's a major tourist center with Us$500,000 condos and houses. It's almost wall-to-wall housing and hotel developments south of town.

As the founders and first owners of the San Pedro Sun said recently, it's no longer a small fishing village that we knew when we first came here.

Amazing, really.

Progress isn't necessarily bad, but change is coming fast and furious.

I wonder what it will be like in another 15 years!?

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Posted By: wanta be gammy

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/23/05 12:11 AM

We just returned from A. Caye on Saturday and there is NO way I would split my time to go any where else. We sat at the pool and on the dock at our hotel all week, rode into town almost every day on our golf cart, looked at all the menus (don't miss Papi's) and shops, went on a snorkeling/Caye Caulker trip (ask for Tulu) and had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Xanadu resort. It was perfect and very reasonable. NOT crowded AT ALL!!! Usually had the pool and dock to ourselver (3 couples). We absolutely loved it!!
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/23/05 11:22 PM

Yes, 9,000 people were evacuated and 11,000 stayed. The island is 25 miles long by 4 blocks wide. So, quick somebody how many people per block does that make? laugh
Posted By: Placidguy

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/23/05 11:55 PM

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/24/05 02:37 PM

Are you serious!? 20,000 people?! WELL if 9000 was a concern, you can imagine 20,000, really gives me reason to be concerned.

I am totally confused, but I guess I asked for it, by posting the question in the first place.

Does anyone have pictures posted anywhere of street scenes, beach scenes in Feb? Maybe that would help.

I must really sound like an anti social person, but truly I just want to be able to get into restaurants without a wait, go snorkeling with small groups and have a beach to relax on without climbing over people. Can I get this if staying at Mata Rocks?
Posted By: Gela

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/24/05 04:15 PM

My goodness - you will see nothing like the picture posted. The most you will see is 2 deep at a beach bar (BCs laugh ) and you may find during high season you may have to choose a second choice day for a tour if it's booked.

You can get what you are looking for staying at Mata Rocks. It's a small intimate place with a nice little beach bar (that only stays open until about 9pm as a consideration for their guests who want peace and quiet).

I would be willing to bet that you will be posting how wonderful your trip was when you return next year.

Have fun!

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/24/05 04:48 PM

years worth of photos of AC and all over Belize.
http://photos.yahoo.com/barbsbelize

Of course, I usually try to get pics with no people in them, but it's not nearly as crowded as you are thinking. The only time you will see a crowd on the beach or at clubs, restaurants, etc is Christmas/New Years week.
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/24/05 07:56 PM

Great pics. I thank you, my wife thanks you, but my boss wants to speak with you about my productivity here at work.

Re: How crowded is Ambergris? - 08/24/05 09:17 PM

laugh
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board