AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Conch Season

Posted By: spl

Conch Season - 09/11/05 11:34 PM

When does conch season open and end. thanks
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Conch Season - 09/12/05 03:14 PM

Conch season is closed from 07/01 to 09/30.

Lobster season is closed from 02/15 to 06/15.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

Re: Conch Season - 09/12/05 07:03 PM

oh my gosh! I was told Conch is not in season until Nov! So only 3 more weeks???!!!

I am going to be on the conch only diet I have been waiting so long to eat it!!!!

Thanks for posting the quesion and thank Simon for the answer!
Posted By: tweedybear

Re: Conch Season - 09/14/05 08:41 PM

What is Conch - a fish obviously! In Nov. will their be fresh scallops, mussels, etc. to buy? Do you buy the fish at the wharf or fish shop?

59 days and counting! Do we have counters on this site? :rolleyes:
Posted By: klcman

Re: Conch Season - 09/14/05 11:18 PM

Conch definitely not a fish - lives in a shell! It's actually a marine snail, but big! Conch meat has a mild, sweet clam-like flavor, but is extremely tough and must be pounded, or marinated in lime juice to tenderize it before cooking. Some of the most common uses are for conch fritters, conch chowder, conch steaks and marinated raw conch salad. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
[Linked Image]

Check out the docks on the lagoon side when the fisherman come back in for fresh as fresh can be.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Conch Season - 09/15/05 05:59 AM

Only frozen Scallops and Mussels.

Re: Conch Season - 09/15/05 07:17 AM

yum, i am hungry.

so my sister just booked her flight to visit me and her main concern/question was when was conch in season. Good timing for the info!
Posted By: tweedybear

Re: Conch Season - 09/16/05 05:17 PM

Originally posted by klcman:
Conch definitely not a fish - lives in a shell! It's actually a marine snail, but big! Conch meat has a mild, sweet clam-like flavor, but is extremely tough and must be pounded, or marinated in lime juice to tenderize it before cooking. Some of the most common uses are for conch fritters, conch chowder, conch steaks and marinated raw conch salad. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
[Linked Image]
Similar to an Abalone - the pound routine - abalone season is upon us here - yum! Sauteed in lemon juice and white wine with fresh chives. I specialize in my herb garden. Hopefully there will be some left in Nov. for us. Shells are beautiful. wink

Check out the docks on the lagoon side when the fisherman come back in for fresh as fresh can be.

Re: Conch Season - 10/01/05 04:14 PM

Yeah! It is finally here! The wait is over! Hmmmm....what shall I have with conch today!!

Re: Conch Season - 10/01/05 04:33 PM

belikin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Conch Season - 10/01/05 05:44 PM

wink 1/2 dozen 2lbs Maine Lobsters and a 12 ounce Sirloin from Texas de Brazil eek

Re: Conch Season - 10/01/05 05:48 PM

On second thought add two pounds of Maine [#%!] clams to that order and toss the Conch to the seagulls. Anything that you have to beat the bejesus out of to be able to chew it aint worth it!....uh.... couple of conch fritters with that order!

Re: Conch Season - 10/01/05 09:18 PM

yes, yes, belikin but what i ment was what should I have with conch today as in what should i have to eat with conch IN it.

CONCH FAJITAS, BURITOS, FRITTERS, SOUP, CEVICHE, GRILLED CONCH, CONCH IN WINE...

Re: Conch Season - 10/01/05 11:59 PM

all the above

Re: Conch Season - 10/02/05 02:15 AM

In one day? R ya kidding? That's a bit too much food so my first conch meal of the season was conche ceviche for dinner...from Papi's. (I love everything at Papi's and he's super cool too)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/keliasst/detail?.dir=/6436&.dnm=67a5.jpg&.src=ph

I give it an A, a wonderful spice to it, recommend it. $9 BZ. Goes great with Pineapple and red wine as I eat it without the chips.

Tomorrow will go for Grilled or Blacken Conch...or maybe Conch fajitas at the Reef Rest. I love them, too!

Or maybe I will have conch ceviche every day this week from a new place and do a taste test. Decisions, decisions. LOL.

Re: Conch Season - 10/02/05 02:54 AM

good lookin appetizer, what was next?

Re: Conch Season - 10/02/05 03:00 AM

that's what I had for dinner with sliced pineapple rings and red wine.

Re: Conch Season - 10/03/05 04:37 AM

LOL! Okay, so one person sent me a message and someone in town asked me too(kinda jokingly) if I really did have conch ceviche again and if I would compare ceviches.

Yes. I had conch ceviche again with a glass of red wine.

CALIENTE'S, I give them an A too. Very tasty, had great amount of cilantro and spices, lots of cucumbers. $14 BZ.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/keliasst/detail?.dir=/1289&.dnm=2d4b.jpg&.src=ph

I did not prefer one over the other, both equally delicious so I will go to Papi's for it more as it's a better value. Same Portion size. If you are on vacation, going OUT to eat with people I recommend Caliente's. It is RIGHT on the water too and their entire menu is fantastic and large selection.

stay tuned for tomorrows review: The Reef's Conch Ceviche. Later this week to follow include Carambas, Fidos, Lilies, and more...
Posted By: cakelee

Re: Conch Season - 10/03/05 03:21 PM

Okay, this is fun. Looking forward to the next place! And getting hungry already...

Re: Conch Season - 10/03/05 10:38 PM

if I didn't know better, I'd say KE took the same bowl & shot it at a diff table wink

keep 'em coming kiddo
Posted By: Tag

Re: Conch Season - 10/03/05 11:07 PM

Those conch shells are beautiful - are you allowed to take them off the island when you leave?

Re: Conch Season - 10/04/05 04:32 PM

correct. I have a set of matching bowls and eat it at home. what'd you mean shot it at a diff table?

Re: Conch Season - 10/04/05 04:46 PM

third night in a row! The Reef Rest. is closed this week for remodeling.

AMBERGRIS DELIGHT- I give it an A-. Very good, the peppers and carrots were great. I prefer slightly bigger chunks of Conch and spicy but it is simple to just take the hab. sauce and spice it up.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/keliasst/detail?.dir=/2bbf&.dnm=5a6d.jpg&.src=ph

I recommend this conch ceviche to those who like it mild and are watching the cost. $10 BZ.

Re: Conch Season - 10/04/05 04:52 PM

eek klc: One must not stare too long or too intently at those conch shell pictures.... may ...become................delerious.(Then the wife walks in and asks what Im staring at) eek

Re: Conch Season - 10/04/05 04:57 PM

I think KLC was staring at the food itself vs. the shells as klc mentioned the bowls...

Re: Conch Season - 10/04/05 05:13 PM

eek Maybe...but those shells are mesmerizing

Re: Conch Season - 10/04/05 10:57 PM

who you calling a she?

and I was referring to the food, not the shells....1st two pics are taken at a diff table, but same bowl design hahaha

Re: Conch Season - 10/05/05 12:18 AM

yes, same bowl, and will be in each following pic. That way I can compare how much ceviche I get at each place wink the first pic was taken on my kitchen counter, the second on my end table that's why the table was diff. 1 more hour until my next conch ceviche!

KLC, glad you are enjoying the pics/reviews of the ceviche! Carambas tonight. Tacklebox Wed.

Re: Conch Season - 10/05/05 12:22 AM

once the word gets out that KE is AC's newest food critic, watch the portion sizes double!! laugh laugh

Re: Conch Season - 10/05/05 01:04 AM

THE REEF RESTRAUNT IS OPEN! I am going to hold off on Carambas for awhile since the Reef is excellent food, half the price, plus great people there.

The Reef- I give them a definate A. Excellent, spicy, same portion as all the others I've tested and $7 BZ!!!! They are at the top of my list.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/keliasst/detail?.dir=/4dc1&.dnm=6659.jpg&.src=ph

Great place for everyone, excellent prices, lg menu, great food.

Re: Conch Season - 10/05/05 01:13 AM

p.s. i am only reviewing conch ceviche as it started as a joke after 2 people asked me to. And, it is HARD to make bad conch ceviche so I figured it was a safe thing to review. wink

Re: Conch Season - 10/05/05 03:20 AM

:rolleyes: outta this thread you guys can't see the forest for the trees! eek

Re: Conch Season - 10/05/05 03:56 AM

you been staring at those shells too long RY!

Re: Conch Season - 10/06/05 03:45 AM

eek Yes I have. I'm seeing "pink"

Re: Conch Season - 10/06/05 03:55 AM

heheheh badboy
Posted By: tinabythebeach

Re: Conch Season - 10/21/05 03:30 AM

any new updates on conch ceviche?

Re: Conch Season - 10/23/05 01:14 AM

hmmm, well I took a conch ceviche break believe it or not, since I was on the mainland for a bit. Now that I am back and the weather is dark and windy I am in the mood for soup so looks like Conch Soup and Conch Chowder will have to be the meal with conch for the next few days!

I had the REEF RESTRAUNTS conch soup before I left. EXCELLENT, YUM, LOADED WITH CONCH AND VEGGIES!!! A

I had JAMBEL JERKS conch soup before I left too.
C. Average. No conch in it, was more like veggie soup with 2 pieces of conch but the base was good.

Tonight...Elvi's Conch Chowder...
Posted By: cakelee

Re: Conch Season - 10/25/05 03:26 PM

Okay, where's the next review???

Re: Conch Season - 10/25/05 08:32 PM

Elvi's conch soup, excellent. A-. Everything from the base to what was in the soup was outstanding. The only problem? The conch was cut up super tiny and I like to be able to taste the conch. They give you a good amount of white rice with it.

Only $10 BZ. GREAT deal for conch soup.

My favorite conch soup so far is at the yellow whole in the wall across from Coconets. Huge amount, $9 BZ. and also Reef Restraunt. Both are the best.

Re: Conch Season - 10/25/05 08:54 PM

laugh laugh laugh oh crap not those conch shell pictures again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Conch Season - 10/25/05 10:59 PM

go take a cold shower rykat! laugh
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board