AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: kimmyway Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 03:07 AM
I hope not to bother any of you. But I love message boards. They have been helpful in the past making decisions with regards to where to go and where to stay?? So here it goes. I am going to tell you a little about ourselves and then maybe you all can give me some good advice.

We are in our late 30's. We love the beach and chillin. We go on vacation to mainly relax and explore a little. We do not Dive or Fish. But do like to do some snorkeling from time to time but no avid snorkelers. We like to eat good food and try different stuff, have some cocktails here and there. Shop a little but mainly relax. And meet people from all over. I have read alot the last 2 days with regards to the swimming off the beach area is not recommended (concerns me a little) but as long as their is a pool it is not the end of the world. We do like to walk the beach some. And I am sure would like to have a golf cart atleast one or two days to explore when we feel like it. Excursions are a possibility also. They cave tubing sounds like fun and horseback riding sounds good too. Do you think Ambergris Caye is a good fit for us and any recommendations on a place to stay?? A/C is important...neither of us like to be hot when sleeping. We like the option. Coffee pot would be nice in the room, because sometimes we get up before places start serving breakfast and we like to sit and drink coffee outside in the AM.
All suggestions and opionions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kimmy from Indy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 03:27 AM
AC sounds like your kind of place -
As much to do as you'd like, but plenty of time to laze. Lots of places to have good food and cocktails. People to meet, both locals and tourists from all over the world. Little shopping. Swimming from the shore is possible in some places and from the end of a pier in lots of places.
Banana Beach sounds like a good fit - two pools, probably the cleanest I've been in on the island -(been in quite a few) breakfast is included in the price of a room and it's pretty darn good, prices on the courtyard suites are very reasonable for what you get (Especially off season) and include a kitchen w/ coffee pot and just about everything else you could need/want.
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 01:01 PM
Who am I to make a recommendation since we're making our first trip this week?! However, you guys sound a lot like us. We chose Belizean Shores becuase we too value our quiet beach time while still being able to explore easily. I'm excited to be a little bit away from it all, but a quick $5 water taxi ride into town. Best pool on the island from what I hear. Fully equipped kitchens. Book excursions from the dock and walking distance to Capricorn. The rave reviews both here and on TrpAdvisor.com helped us in our decision.
Posted By: JeanH Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 01:54 PM
I'm one of those who like to be in or very close to town. We walk lots and lots, but I like the convenience of a short walk to get fresh rolls and such for breakfast.

Our favorite spot remains Belizean Reef, but it has no pool. Last visit we decided to try the Palms, very nice, does have a pool. But, next trip (March) we'll be back at the Reef. Great swimming next door off Ramon's dock. We found we really didn't use the pool at the Palms much anyway. Another place we consider is Paradise Villas. Other end of town, still very convenient. I'd certainly agree that the pool at Belizean Shores is awesome.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 04:50 PM
Otteralum - Just so you won't be shocked - water taxi isn't "quick" and it isn't $5
Posted By: MikaGayle Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 05:37 PM
Hi there!! I, along with 2 of my friends, are making our way to AC Oct 6 - 13. I lived in Hawaii for 5 years up until last June so I am looking forward to getting back to the beach and laid back atmoshphere..even thought it is only for a week.

We are very interested in the Mayan ruins and wonder if there were any suggestions as to what is the best way to go about that? Any in particular anyone could recommend? How far is Tikal from AC?
Posted By: kris48 Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 06:06 PM
Lamanai is the best trip from AC. They pick you up at your hotel dock about 7AM, and bring you back about 5:30 PM. It's a long day, but wonderful. Great ruins, interesting boat rides, and neat country. Also a good lunch on site. Your hotel will book for you.
Posted By: BrigitteBachmann Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 06:09 PM
Hi Kimmyway,

Sounds like Placencia might be the spot for you.

Have fun!
Brigitte
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 06:12 PM
Thanks lawcucui! Expectations are important. Can someone tell me how the water taxi differs from what is posted? Thanks!!!//www.ambergriscaye.com/download/ferryschedule.html
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 06:56 PM
Here's a portion of an article published last year in the Washington Post.

In terms of staying on the north end, I tend to agree with the article's line: "That's 1 for the resort, 0 for the gringos." That's just my opinion, but I want the option of being a little closer to stores, restaurants, etc. (P.S. The author is totally right on about JamBel!)

From the article:

"This place reminds me of Key West 30 years ago," a newcomer comments as he steps out of the little prop plane at the San Pedro airport, on Ambergris (pronounced am-BER-griss) Caye (pronounced key). It's a Jimmy Buffett kind of town, with hard-packed sand streets, lots of semi-comatose dogs lying around, a surfeit of bars ranging from slick to seedy, and an exceedingly amiable citizenry, most wearing flip-flops. Everyone uses golf carts to get around. Just a nice feel to the place.

We've booked into a secluded resort a few miles up the coast -- a big mistake, since we soon get bored way out there and end up spending $40 apiece each day going back and forth to San Pedro for lunch and dinner. But we don't know that yet.

Our first night, we dine at our resort, which is featuring Mexican Night. This involves an overpriced buffet of uninspired food and a potbellied mariachi singing "Teen Angel" soulfully in Spanish. That's 1 for the resort, 0 for the gringos.

So during our three days on the island, we become regulars on the water taxi circuit, joining resort workers, locals and visitors on the amusement park-style speedboat rides going back and forth to San Pedro. Schedules can be a little erratic.

In San Pedro, there are galleries to browse, hotels to scope out for future visits, bars and restaurants to sample. The locals rave about Capricorn, which offers gourmet food in a romantic setting and requires reservations well in advance. But this sounds like the sort of thing we came to Belize to escape from, so we end up in places like Cholo's, where we sit on plastic chairs under a palm tree in the sand and drink $1.50 rum-and-Cokes.

We love the coconut pie at Caliente's, where you sit on a first-floor balcony overlooking the beach, and the conch ceviche at Celi's, an island institution.

But our favorite spot is JamBel Jerk Pit, which serves Jamaican-Belizean fusion. Its rooftop dining room is decked out in colored lights and plastic lawn furniture, and we devour our curried fish and grilled lobster happily as hiphop music wafts up from the carryout shacks across the street.
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 07:06 PM
Thanks. I will be sure to post a trip report upon my return. My wife and I are Jekyl and Hyde types that want solitude one day and want to party all night the next. This made us think Belizean Shores would be a good compromise. We will see I guess. The water taxi page does say $5 each way and the timing doesn't look too bad -- anything wrong with what is posted? Thanks again! //www.ambergriscaye.com/download/ferryschedule.html
Posted By: MikaGayle Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 07:14 PM
Where are the best places to go for night life in AC? I really enjoy some fun, yet relaxing, live music...Any ideas? Any special events occuring oct 6 - 13?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 07:19 PM
I've never stayed north, but it's my understanding that's the price for daytime, but they don't always run on schedule. The price I've heard quoted more often is the $20 US. Belizian Shores is a ways north and from my experience on other boats (snorkling, etc) I think the time estimates are optimistic. Also, a water taxi won't get you to some of the best restaurants: Casa Picasso, Jade Garden, Ali Baba, so you end up having to pay additional $$ us for a taxi each way once you hit land.

Still, you're gonna be in Belize - you'll have a great time no matter what! Can't wait to see your trip report!
Posted By: MikaGayle Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 09:55 PM
Thanks Kris! I have heard that from several people...think I will look into that!

Everyone..what is the best way to get from Belize International to AC?? And inexpensive?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/13/05 11:38 PM
Best way is to fly either on Tropic or Maya. If your group is 4 or more you may be better to get a taxi to Municipal airport and fly from there, takes about 20 minutes and costs about $17.50US for the taxi. The flight is $30US one way and saves $24US per person over International.

The cheapest option is to take a taxi to the water taxi terminal and then water taxi over. The ride is 1 hour and 20 minutes, the wait will depend on when you arrive at the terminal and the price is $12.50US per person. Make sure your sunscreen is handy or you'll arrive in AC looking like a lobster!
Posted By: Dizi-B Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/14/05 04:13 PM
Just got back from AC, it is beautiful just as I suspected. We stayed on the North end and if I had it to do over again, I would have stayed on the South end nearer town. Unless you took a water taxi to town to eat the closest restaurant other than the one at our resort was 1 mile away. No golf carts were able to get thru to our resort due to ucky road conditions.
Therefore we ate most of our meals at the resort, and their selections were limited.
We couldn't get anywhere without a water taxi and we were at the mercy of their schedule!
Posted By: playabees Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/14/05 04:14 PM
I like Paradise Villas. Give Tradewinds (the management co. in the US) a look at www.belizeparadisevillas.com
They've got a lovely pool and are at the north end of town. Ask about a one bedroom on the Blue Tang side (construction noise from the other side of the property.)

As for getting from Goldson to AC, I'd go ahead and fly Tropic or Maya out there and take the water taxi back on my return. We've done this a few times (it's a gorgeous ride if the weather's good and you don't have a hangover) and loved seeing the turquoise waters and feeling the wind in our hair one last time before heading back.

The Lamani trip is a long day but worth it. I don't know of any horeback riding outfits but DO NOT ride the horses at Maruba jungle spa (and I don't reccomend the ruin/spa trip.) Those skinny nags will make you weep.

Cave tubing is wonderful! And a long day as well.

Any of the resort or tour operators will help you plan activities and you can pretty much decide a day or two in advance.

Have a wonderful trip!
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/14/05 04:39 PM
If you want both the cave tubing and horseback riding, I suggest Banana Bank or the Belize Jungle Dome on the mainland. They both offer day trips from SP or you could go and spend a night or 2. Located close to the cave tubing area and have horses on site. www.bananabank.com or www.greendragonbelize.com
Posted By: WhiteWater Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/14/05 05:05 PM
Some people prefer to spend most of a vacation at a resort, and if that's you then I would venture to say you'd love staying north and taking the ferry a few times.

But, you said 'try different stuff, and have cocktails here and there.' For that, I'd suggest staying in town, or south of town in easy walking distance. The bars and restaurants up north are wonderful, but there just aren't as many options.

I'd check out this map: //ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/mapdowntowndetail.html Start with the Sunbreeze, and work your way south, staying with a mile or so of town. You'll be walking home in the dark after dinner, so you probably don't want to be too much farther(further? I never know that one). From what I've read on these boards, all of those condos/resorts are nice, find the one that calls out to you.

We were there last Feb (at Journey's End). Our experience with the ferry was good, just a big expense because we went to town every day. The ferry was $5 per person one way, and a taxi was $10 per person one way. So a relaxing day of breakfast in town and wandering around on the beach, home for a nap, then back for dinner and to listen to music was $50 for transportation. Once we got to town we walked, so I don't know about land taxis.

We often waited ~20 minutes for the ferry, but we didn't care, no hurries no worries. If we wanted to come home after the ferry was running, we would take the ferry in, and when we got to town we'd let them know when we would need a taxi home. That worked well. Also, don't forget to buy the tokens, it's easier for you and for the boat captains.
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/14/05 05:50 PM
Boat tokens? First I've heard. I'm assuming their $5 a piece and purchased at the Fido's dock?
Posted By: WhiteWater Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/14/05 06:21 PM
Yep, we bought them at the Island Ferry office at Fido's dock. They were $5USD each.

The ferry schedule actually says that the token is $5 and cash on the ferry is $7.50, but the couple of times we paid cash they only asked for $5. Pretty sure we used the tokens for the water taxi too, it just took more tokens for a taxi.
Posted By: WhiteWater Re: Questions....Questions..... - 09/14/05 08:55 PM
Just remembered, when we were there (last Feb) the ferry definitely wasn't running every hour. I don't know if that's still true, or if it will be true when you're there.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board