AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Starry San Pedro Jazz Festival - 10/03/05 12:15 AM
Get yourselves here

http://www.bestfares.com/travel/desks/story.asp?id=151866
Posted By: Marty Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 10/03/05 01:53 AM
Here's the text...

San Pedro Belize Celebrates 1st-Annual Jazzfest, December 17-18
Jazz lovers from everywhere should consider visiting San Pedro on Ambergris Caye this December to experience a variety of jazz musicians and fun-filled celebrations at San Pedro's first annual Jazzfest.

The celebrations will be held, December 17 and 18, on the beach in a 5000-square-foot marquee in front of Rendezvous Restaurant & Winery, just north of San Pedro. The event will offer melodious jazz music, as well as diverse cuisine, exotic drinks, and original art, fire and dance exhibits.

Rendezvous Restaurant & Winery will also be celebrating their 7th anniversary, and they have gathered over 40 musicians, from more than a dozen countries, to bring Ambergris Caye a Jazz Festival unrivalled in Belize. During the event there will be a selection of food stands, as well as a traditional underground-roasted whole pig as a rare culinary treat for festival attendees. Belizean artists have been commissioned to produce a work of art, representing the event, which will be auctioned with proceeds going to local charities.

Among the many international jazz musicians taking part are: Grammy Award winning jazz saxophonist Gary Bartz from New York City; jazz vocalist Chris McNulty from Australia; jazz guitarist Paul Bollenback of New York City; and one of the most sought-after jazz bassists in the world, Ugonna Okegwo. In addition, world-class trumpeter Nick "Brownman" Ali has just been confirmed and is flying in from the Havana Jazz festival as another headline entertainer. The event is free to everyone and profits raised from the event will be passed along to the local Chamber of Commerce to aid children who are in need of lifesaving operations.

Ambergris Caye (pronounced "key"), is a 20-mile-long, two-mile-wide tropical spit of sand covered with coconut and mangrove trees, cooled by trade winds, and protected by one of the world's longest barrier reefs. Golf carts, bicycles, and your own two feet are the main modes of transportation on the sand-covered streets of tiny San Pedro, the island's only town. Imagine a small, palm-shaded island, its sugar-white sands awash in some of the warmest, clearest water to be found anywhere. Offshore, Ambergris Caye offers world-class snorkeling, diving, sailing, kayaking, and windsurfing in the turquoise Western Caribbean.

Snuggled between Mexico to the north and Guatemala to the west and south, relaxed, English-speaking Belize is only a two-hour plane ride from parts of the continental United States. Venture into a land rich in natural beauty and steeped in the magic of its Maya past. It is renowned for pristine waters, exotic marine and wildlife, lush landscapes, and superb diving. For more information on Belize visit www.travelbelize.org, or call 800-624-0686. To find additional information on San Pedro's Jazzfest visit www.sanpedrojazzfestival.com. Click here for other feature stories about Belize. Let the travel experts at Bestfares.com help you with great airfares to Belize and with all of your travel arrangements to this tropical gem.
Posted By: Starry Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 10/20/05 01:57 PM
Getting closer everyday
Posted By: Moon Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 10/21/05 01:11 AM
Oh, that's too bad the jazz festival just mentioned starts on the day we LEAVE!! Maybe we'll catch a little of it before we leave - can't remember flight times offhand, but definitely worth keeping in mind for next year!

Moon
Posted By: Wyoming Carla Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 12/09/05 04:35 PM
OK....it's only one week away. SOMEBODY please go for me and take lots of pictures and pic me up all the CD's you can. I've give my right, uh, I sure would love to go. WAHHHHH! Those who are blessed enough to get to see this....I hope you have a great time! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: travelqueen Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 12/09/05 06:52 PM
I'm hoping to have a good time too... will post pics upon my arrival back.
Posted By: Joy Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 12/10/05 01:29 PM
Does anyone have the times listed for the performances at the Jazz fest ?
Posted By: Savanno Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 12/11/05 12:27 PM
Schedule Jazz Festival~

Day 1 Itinerary:

(This is a working draft and is subject to change)

December 17th

Noon to 2.00p.m Pre-recorded music and the bands doing their sound checks.

2.00p.m to 2.30p.m Opening ceremony with an introduction of our artists and what the festival aims to achieve.

2.00p.m to 3.30p.m our first act will be Caesar's Mango Jam Band who will accompanied the opening ceremony then get the festival started.

3.30p.m to 4.30p.m awaiting details of a Mexican Jazz Band from Cancun

4.30p.m to 5.00p.m Live painting & dance show with music by Marco Solo

5.00p.m to 6.00p.m Group jam session with a cross pollination of styles

6.00p.m to 6.30p.m Charity Fundraising Art Auction with special works of art created by Walter Castillo, Papo and Denroy Gonzalez accompanied with music from the Mexican band

6.30p.m to 8.00p.m Nick "The Brownman" Ali accompanied by The Mango Jam Band

8.00p.m to 9.30p.m Chris McNulty, Paul Bollenback, Gary Bartz & Ugonna Okegwo

9.30p.m Fire Dance to close the night

Day 2 Itinerary:

(This is a working draft and is subject to change)

December 18th

Noon to 2.00p.m Pre-recorded music and the bands doing their sound checks.

2.00p.m to 2.30p.m Opening ceremony with an introduction of our artists and what the festival aims to achieve.

2.00p.m to 3.30p.m our first act will be Caesar's Mango Jam Band who will accompanied the opening ceremony then get the festival started.

3.30p.m to 4.30p.m awaiting details of a Mexican Jazz Band from Cancun

4.30p.m to 5.00p.m Live painting & dance show with music by Marco Solo

5.00p.m to 6.00p.m Group jam session with a cross pollination of styles

6.00p.m to 6.30p.m Charity Fundraising Art Auction with special works of art created by Walter Castillo, Papo and Denroy Gonzalez accompanied with music from the Mexican band

6.30p.m to 8.00p.m Nick "The Brownman" Ali accompanied by The Mango Jam Band

8.00p.m to 9.30p.m Chris McNulty, Paul Bollenback, Gary Bartz & Ugonna Okegwo
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 12/16/05 11:07 AM
PRESS RELEASE
WIN - WIN on North End
Clean Road - Cash Prizes

This Saturday, December 17th, the North Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch Association (NACNW) is sponsoring a special event. All the children of the San Mateo Subdivision are invited to participate in a friendly competition and win cash.

Starting at 9:00 AM everyone is to meet on the beach in front of Coco Locos Bar where a staging area will be designated. Teams will be formed to do a road and beach clean up from the north end of the pull ferry to the Palapa Bar.

Each child will be given latex gloves to protect their hands from the dirty litter they will be collecting. Each team will be given marked trash bags and instructions for collecting. Supervising adults will have cardboard boxes where sharp items can be safely stored.

At 11:00 everyone is to meet again at the beach and winners will be determined, hot dogs and cold drinks served cash prizes awarded and pictures taken for the newspaper.
The plan is to have the trip north to the Jazz Festival as pretty as possible.

"We need all the help we can get," said Harriette Fisher who is organizing this with the help of Pat Stiley and other NACNW members. "We want the kids who live here to take pride in their community and we need parents to help supervise. Those with golf carts will collect and haul the full bags."

For more information or to volunteer call 226-3687.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 12/18/05 01:54 PM
cool Jazz Festival - Day One (yeterday) - FABULOUS.
Day Two (today!!) - BE THERE!!
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 12/18/05 01:56 PM
I meant "yesterday" (not yeterday) - a late night does nothing for one's typing skills.
Posted By: Wyoming Carla Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 12/20/05 06:11 PM
OK....where or where are the PICTURES???? laugh
Posted By: travelqueen Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 12/21/05 04:38 PM
Very nice festival indeed! Unfortunately, my battery in my camera died just as I was landing in Belize City - figures! Thought it was charged but anyway... the Jazz musicians were very entertaining and the conch ceviche tasty, drinks good, people good... it was ALL good!
Posted By: klcman Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 12/22/05 12:08 AM
TQ - 1st rule ALWAYS HAVE A SPARE! laugh
Posted By: travelqueen Re: San Pedro Jazz Festival - 12/22/05 03:56 PM
klc, this is true... I am lame... I guess I'll just have to make another trip back - soon!! laugh
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board