AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: wild_bill Does anyone know when conch is in season? - 10/19/05 08:59 PM
Does anyone know when conch is in season?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Does anyone know when conch is in season? - 10/19/05 09:19 PM
Lobster season is closed from 02/15 to 06/15, no lobster may be in your possession during that time

Conch season is closed from 07/01 to 09/30, no conch may be in your possession during that time.
Thanks. I also discovered the thread on //ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=010877#000000

I look forward to more conch fritters, conch chowder, and cracked conch. My most impressive encounter with a conch was when I saw a large nurse shark inhale a large mature Queen conch off the sea floor in a turtle grass area. The shark was about 3 feet over the conch and the conch, with a density much heavier than water came right off the floor into the shark's mouth. The shark crushed the shell into bits and consumed the conch. After that, I had great respect for Nurse sharks. Ever tried to crush a queen conch? ...or for that matter ever picked one up in the water and noticed the definite lack of buoancy? The power of a Nurse sharks suction and crusing power is awsome. Watch but don't touch... and don't do a conch imitation when in the water!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board