AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Kristykins Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 05:17 PM
I have read a couple places that its best to bring your OWN snorkeling gear if you plan on snorkeling because the stuff they rent out doesn't always fit well?

Any thoughts on this? Would it be best to buy my own stuff before heading down to AC??
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 06:54 PM
I did buy (and bring) my own mask, fins and snorkel...but only because I know I will use them again in the future. I also have a narrow face and am hard to fit.

The others who traveled with me did fine with what the dive shops rented out.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 06:58 PM
hmmm. okay maybe ill just go with the drive shops. How much does a mask and snorkel cost as opposed to renting?
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 06:59 PM
Every mask I ever rented or borrowed leaked. Mr Malibu said it was because my head was mis-shapen, the prick. I purchased my own this year and no leaks.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 07:09 PM
oops. double post.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 07:10 PM
Hm. any estimates on costs of masks? If my face leaks, i'll be really annoyed!
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 07:16 PM
IT was extremely annoying. In Houston you can get a good pair (mask and snorkel) for around $60. OMG you are in CA, probably $80 there. WELL worth it, very well worth it. When you are already out in the water and can't replace the mask, and you can't snorkel for more than 2 minutes at a time because the #$%& mask leaks, it is worth it. Don't want to raise the blood pressure.....laugh.......that is for us oldies but you will be very aggrivated.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 07:17 PM
If you want to put a rented mask on your face and a snorkle in your mouth that you have no idea who wore it last, GOOG LUCK!Take your own.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 07:19 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhh. you know, I never thought about that. I'm not okay with sticking someone else's snorkel in my mouth. No thanks.

okay, I will definetly be bringing my own LOL
Posted By: scuba_sue Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 07:34 PM
Well worth the investment. Plus, if you feel like going for a quick dip off the pier at Ramon's or anyplace else, you don't have to go through the hassle of renting.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 07:44 PM
That is very true....

So I should spend between $60-80 for a set of a snorkel & a goggle?
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 07:56 PM
Any recommended brands or are they all about the same.
Posted By: BobW Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 08:20 PM
Stop at a scuba shop and let them help you. Each brand and model fits differently, so you'll need to test them. To test them, hold them to your face with the strap out of the way. if you can hold it to your face just by inhaling thru your nose, it should be watertight for you.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 09:01 PM
OR to test it out properly you could go into the bathroom at the store and fill up the sink with water (bring disinfectant) and snorkel to your hearts desire. This is the only true way to test a mask. Be sure to write about it here when you get back from the store. laugh
Posted By: rsarceno Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 09:06 PM
Kristykin, To check if the mask fit, put it against your face (don't use the strap) and take a deep breath. If it stay on your face then most likely it's a good fit. Then after you buy it, put a thin layer of tooth paste (on the glass) and rinse it off, Otherwise it will fog a lot. If your planning to dive in the future, buy the mask from a dive store. Some dive store with a pool will allow you to try it before buying.

Deacon, I have Mares ESA and Scuba pro mask. There both good but I like the mares better.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 09:15 PM
Originally posted by MALIBU:
OR to test it out properly you could go into the bathroom at the store and fill up the sink with water (bring disinfectant) and snorkel to your hearts desire. This is the only true way to test a mask. Be sure to write about it here when you get back from the store. laugh
aww you knew exactly what I was thinking !!!

laugh laugh laugh

I bet people actually try to do that. or ask if they can "test it out" hahaah

well looks like Im going Snorkel shopping soon!
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 09:21 PM
If you test in the toilet and flush, is that considered WHITE WATER?
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 09:31 PM
Clever lol

That would be an entirely new breed of sport
Posted By: seashell Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 10:28 PM
kristykins, you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a good mask. Try these two:

Tusa Liberator (have friends that swear by it)

Sherwood Magnum 2 (I have two of these, best mask I ever owned) I've paid more for the others but don't use them.

You don't need an expensive snorkel either. Some people like the dry and/or purge ones but I like a simple large bore snorkel with a flex.
Posted By: WhiteWater Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 11:09 PM
Seashell is correct, you certainly don't have to spend a lot on a mask to get one that will work for you. Especially for a snorkel mask (which doesn't have to be tempered glass like scuba, tho most are depending on pricepoint). Key thing as mentioned above if fit. if it fits and seals well, and is comfortable, it's the one you want. I've found $25 masks that will work WAY better than a $100 mask, becuase it fits a face. I don't even look at the price, and advise my students the same when mask shopping. Try them all for fit, find the best one, and then look at price.
Again as mentioned above, best way barring the pool or 'toilet test' is to place the strap in front of the mask, slightly press the mask to your face, and inhale to create negative pressure inside the mask. Then hold your breath (do NOT continue to inhale), lean forward, and see if the mask comes free from your face. A proper fitting mask should hold the seal.

Snorkels - trend in the industry lately is to add a 'new' gizmo to snorkles every model that comes out it seems. Dry, water funnels, flappers, purges, ect., ect..... musch of these are simply what you get used to and are comfortable with. There isn't anything wrong with an inexpensive standard open tube snorkel. Nothing wrong with one with gizmos either...except that the more bells and whistles, the more to break or malfunction (my opinion). Again, get one that is comfortable in your mouth, and that the tube isn't over-large in diameter or lenght (creating dead airspaces leading to CO2 buildup). Most standard brands will have an acceptable size tube.

Last thing on masks, rsarceno mentioned using toothpaste before using. Good advice, but I'll add that you not only have to apply it, but 'rub' it into the glass. I normally have students do this at least a half dozen times with a brand new mask. The manufacturers spray them with a protective coating (the lenses). This coating will cause rapid fogging unless removed. Toothpaste (most kinds, especially the old fashioned 'paste' rather than gel) contains abrasive material that will gentle scrub off this coating. I've also known people who have had good luck with the product Soft Scrub, a kitchen cleanser. Any mild abrasive will work.

Hope that helps!

~ MJ
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 11:21 PM
thank you so much for the help everyone!

one last question...should I go to an actual DIVE shop for one? Or can I just go to a general sporting goods store?
Posted By: klcman Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/28/05 11:55 PM
Dawn Dish Soap works well too!
Posted By: john robertsdenver Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/29/05 01:29 AM
It never ceases to amaze me, that people have such an aversion to putting a clean sanitized snorkel or scuba mouth piece into their mouths, but will meet some one in a bar and put so much worse into their mouths on the very first meeting!!! GO FIGURE! john in denver
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/29/05 02:16 AM
Yep, go for the dive shop fitting. Some places have and on-site pool (for scuba classes) and will let you test their gear. I did get the snorkel with the shut valve because I'm a sissy about water down the tube. Plus it's sweet if you want to free dive for a close look or to retrieve a conch shell : )

Besides, if you spend decent money on your gear, you have another reason to go back to AC!!
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/29/05 02:18 AM
Oh, P.S. If your mask is still too "new", ask Alphonse to rub a piece of the coral on it to remove the coating. Works great.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snorkel Stuff - 10/29/05 02:57 AM
I sincerely hope he doesn't do that! We try to conserve the coral, not use it as a glass cleaner. Better to rub it with abrasive toothpaste, or in particularly recalcitrant cases use Brasso.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board