AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Fengshui beaches and seagrass - 11/08/05 05:18 AM
I just read the thread about the fact that people generally do not swim from the beaches because of sea grass---is this true of the beaches throughout Belize or just in Ambergris Caye?
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: beaches and seagrass - 11/08/05 05:58 AM
I swim in the beaches every week here.
And love the feeling of seagrass on my feet.
Posted By: Fengshui Re: beaches and seagrass - 11/08/05 06:31 AM
My post was really about beaches in other areas...I guess I should have posted in the other forum.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: beaches and seagrass - 11/08/05 08:30 PM
I've never experienced Sea Grass, but growing up in Southern California, our beaches are littered with Sea Weed, and I'm hoping its not as slimy & disgusting as that, because that stuff is just NASTY! I've known people to get tangled up in it & pulled out in rip tides and such. Sea Weed is disgusting stuff.

As long as sea grass isn't slimy like sea weed, I dont think I'll have a problem with the beaches!

i hope wink laugh :p
Posted By: Otteralum Re: beaches and seagrass - 11/08/05 08:49 PM
To answer your question, no. In AC the sea grass is due to the lack of normal wave activity, inhibited by the reef 1/4 mile off shore. Other areas that are open to the sea without the reef blocking currents have a more traditional beach front. But don't let that scare you away from AC, the beach is still wonderful.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board