AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones

Posted By: Anonymous

Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/16/05 12:29 AM

Can anyone give me advice on getting renter's insurance while living on AC and also what has people's experience been using Vonage as a "landline" phone?

Thanks again much
Posted By: WhiteWater

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/16/05 02:40 AM

I looked at Vonage, and figured why pay them? There is free software for talking to other users, and they have minimal charges to make it work with regular phones. I use Gizmo, but Skype is very popular. Check 'em out and see what you think. I got an mvox, nice little speakerphone with great sound quality ($39, I think). I have a phone number with my US area code so Mom and friends can call us at no extra cost to them (or me). So far this is definitely cheaper than the Vonage cheap plan, and cheaper than my landline was in the states.

I have found one issue here: I can call a Belize landline with Gizmo (~.24 a minute I think), but I can't call the Belize mobile phones. My friend started Gizmo (that might be why I use it :-), and he told me he'd get that fixed. My wild guess is that it's a billing problem, because here, the calling party pays for the call, the mobile user does not. I have no idea if Skype would work to call Belize mobiles, not sure if I want to install it.

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/16/05 07:24 PM

I don't know what the pay version of Skype is like, but I use the free version and it's good. Call quality always seems good, and security for your computer also seems good. I use Vonage most of the time, as I don't need a computer present to use it. Call quality is very good when the internet bandwidth permits - quite often I find that the bandwidth given by BTL results in breakup if I have any computers using the same connection. An alternative to Vonage that is reportedly only marginally inferior but is markedly cheaper is Lingo. A friend of mine has used this since it came out and feels no need to change.

Things like the free Skype are great for the odd conversation while you're at your computer, but Vonage functions just like any other wired phone but with greater flexibility. I don't see them as competitors.

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/16/05 07:41 PM

We appreciate the info. I guess I should have also asked about internet connectivity. I guess BTL is the only game in town: What do they charge for unlimited, and with a router, is wireless available?

Thanks again
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/17/05 04:16 AM

no, btl i snot the only game in town.

Coral Cable, which I feel is faster and has not deposit or contract. $75 BZ installation and connection speeds ranging from $65 BZ-$210 BZ.
They are all unlimited, just different speeds. Wireless is widely available.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/17/05 07:03 AM

Is that a typo I see or an opinion? giggle
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/17/05 01:12 PM

Should grab a kleenex then!

Don't forget that cable runs through BTL routers so don't expect any better level of service.

ke's right about wireless, even The Stained Glass Pub offers wireless now.

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/17/05 02:16 PM

Uh oh, here come the sniffers. :-)
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/17/05 03:32 PM

there's a booger in the suger ,no it is snot...great song... life is so much fun when you got a sence of humor.......
Posted By: klcman

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/17/05 06:27 PM

sing it all Jeffy!

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/17/05 06:44 PM

Oldy but goody:
Never kiss your honey when your nose is wet and runny.
You might think it's funny, but it's snot. wink
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/17/05 06:45 PM

AAWWW GEEZE :p

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/17/05 07:19 PM

:p 2 u 2
wink

Re: Renters Insurance/Vonage Phones - 11/21/05 02:50 PM

'I use Vonage most of the time, as I don't need a computer present to use it...'

Just like the Vonage adapter, Gizmo can use any SIP adapter, and Skype has its own adapter. You can plug a cordless phone into the adapter and you're set. 'Course if you want mobile access, you'll need your laptop.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board