AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: scubawalk Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 11/24/05 11:12 PM
I am the physical therapist with CARE Belize in San Pedro volunteering with the children. Nurse Kelly at the Polyclinic is doing a toy drive for Christmas. The toys will go to the children and their siblings that come to the developmental clinic. Toy ideas include: rattles, crayons, coloring books, jump ropes, deflated balls, blocks, hard baby books or any other great idea that you have. If you bring anything just drop it at the Polyclinic which is the pink building beside the airstrip or e-mail me if you need someone to pick them up. Thanks so much.
Posted By: Djean Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 11/24/05 11:54 PM
Hi scubawalk,

Well, it looks like both of us have this idea for the kids in our community.

I too have post the topic of "CHRISTMAS TOY"

I work in the community of Dangriga and is trying to help the less fortunate kids.

I am sure that with the help of the kind people who frequent this board, we will achieve our goal.
Posted By: scubawalk Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 11/30/05 12:19 AM
Thanks Djean,

I hope people coming down to Belize in the next month will put a small toy or two in their suitcase for the children in Belize.
Posted By: Djean Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 11/30/05 03:38 AM
yes scubawalk, I am hoping so too.

It doesn't have to be anything expensive, a little present from the "Dollar Shop" will do.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 11/30/05 02:03 PM
If you can get Nurse Kelly to contact me with the details I will post their information on the Donate Belize website ( donatebelize.lagniappe-belize.com ) and promote it for them.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 11/30/05 02:54 PM
As a quick tip to those that plan to donate toys keep in mind that many kids live in small homes with lots of siblings. Having something that is truly their own (not shared family property) is so meaningful. So I would highly recommend teddy bears, dolls etc. Also, batteries can be too costly for the kids to replace so the less "gadget" orientated the better too.
Posted By: scubawalk Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/03/05 12:38 AM
Thanks for the input Amanda, we need lots of simple toys to make every child's Christmas special. Simon, I will get the information for you.
Posted By: Moon Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/07/05 01:40 AM
To both Kath and Debbie,

Since writing to you both earlier, I think I've come up with a solution where I'll be able to get clothes and toys to both of you after all. I think you both have my email address, so if you can give me directions that would be great.

Debbie: I'll be arriving around at BZE 3:30 this Friday and am booked on Tropic Air @ 4:40pm - will this give me enough time to get to Mayan Air to drop something off?

Kath: Can I get the stuff to you once we've got settled on the island? I think you're near the SP airport, but it will have been a long day's travel, so hope I can get the rest of the stuff to you sometime during the week we're there.

Look forward to being in Belize in just a few more days!

Moon
Posted By: Djean Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/07/05 02:07 AM
Moon, I sent you an e-mail.
Posted By: Moon Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/07/05 08:48 PM
Thanks DJean,

I plan on leaving something for you when we get there Friday. Will sort thro' the clothes and maybe send the larger sizes to you, per your request.

All the best,
Moon
Posted By: Djean Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/07/05 08:59 PM
thank you Moon.
Posted By: Djean Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/12/05 12:01 AM
I just want to thank Moon for the donation I got today from her.

Moon, your donation will find good homes.

This was on the recommendation of SimonB, thank you too Simon.
Posted By: cokelush Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/12/05 08:56 PM
We will be on AC in Dec. 06 for my daughter's wedding (just got booked at VHouse! We are super excited!) - If we bring a suitcase full of goodies (Beanie Babies, small toys etc.) will we need to declare these items and pay a fee when going through customs?

That won't deter me from bringing the goodies, just want to make sure that I do the correct thing once we get there. smile

Thanks!
Posted By: klcman Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/12/05 11:11 PM
I wouldn't sweat it - go right thru the "nothing to declare" line......highly unlikely to have any issues. If discovered & asked? Gifts for friends, just MHO.

Just don't wrap them - those US TSB dudes and dudettes just love to open gifts. I've seen people in tears re-wrapping their gifts, and in all fairness, often the TSB dudettes helped, time permitting.
Posted By: cokelush Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/13/05 01:26 AM
Thanks klcman!
Posted By: scubawalk Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/13/05 04:16 AM
The children will love anything you bring cokelush!!!

Thanks
Posted By: lacysbeach Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/13/05 11:27 AM
Hey Scubawalk & Djean:
Why can't you just have a toy drive at Fido's or BC's on any given night that has tourists? You could have a lot of people wanting to contribute and not even get the $$ unless you ask../B esides from that,
we raise a lot of money for TOYS FOR TOTS here in Humble, Texas, we can send some your way , if you only ask...
Posted By: Djean Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/13/05 12:51 PM
Hi lacysbeach, I live in Dangriga which is on the mainland.

But as you can see Scubawalk and I share the same thought.

I live in a community with some less fortunate kids and so have the idea of trying to help them with the assistance of kind donors from the board.

e-mail me at:

[email protected]
Posted By: scubawalk Re: Christmas for kids in San Pedro - 12/13/05 04:11 PM
Lacysbeach,

Thanks for the offer - anything we can get for the children is appreciated. The "Calendar Girls" had a fun raiser this past Saturday night to help raise money for the children and the schools - there is over 100 children on the island who are not in school due to no classroom space. Also this weekend there is the jazz festival which is raising money for the children also. There are T-shirts, hats, and great aquamarine wrist braclets for sale. They have written on them "San Pedro - Belize Jazz - Changing Lives. They are only $5BZ!! And all the money goes to the children. So there is a lot of things going on the the children here on the island that are in need.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board