AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening

Posted By: Moon

Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/27/05 07:39 PM

We're thrilled that everything is so casual and that most places you can wear shorts to in the evening, but we do like to go to one "dressy" place (khakis and shirt for husband, dress and heels for me)once when we're on holiday and wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks.......11 more days to go!!!
Posted By: indygal

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/27/05 07:56 PM

Rico's at Banyon Bay. Ask for the Gazebo - very romantic on a nice warm evening. Enjoy!!
Posted By: lasergod

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/27/05 08:07 PM

I think the Blue Water Grill would be a good place.
Jim
Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/27/05 08:36 PM

Casa Picasso,Capricorn, Azul,and Mata Chica
Posted By: Placidguy

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/27/05 09:11 PM

Papi's !!
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/27/05 11:24 PM

Mata Chica, Luna, captain morgans.

But really you can dress up anywhere and you won't feel out of place. Everyone wears shorts and no shoes here but there are plenty of locals that go out in the evening very dressed up and looking good!

I dressed up last night to go out.

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/28/05 12:02 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Maybe we can go "dressed up" and barefoot - my ideal!!!

Be there SOON!!

Moon

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/28/05 12:31 AM

Never seen anybody dressed up at Papi's!! Go on one of your non dressy evenings, good food cheap.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/28/05 01:13 AM

Casa Picasso!

Best of the Best
Posted By: Hunter45

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/28/05 10:27 AM

I think Papis is about the only place I would not get dress up to go to. But Papis has the best Breakfast for the price and lunch and supper are very good also. We like Capricorn and Captain Morgans to dress up to go to. I wish I was going soon. We still have 12 months till we are going back.
Posted By: J DOG

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/28/05 01:26 PM

I would go Capricorn,it is a short water taxi ride & a very romanic place,very expensive but worth it.
Another good place would be Victorian House.
Have not tried Casa Picasso yet, but from all the good remarks I've heard about it I plan on going there the first of Feb.
Have a great trip!!
Posted By: njmichael

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/28/05 04:10 PM

You don't need to get dressed up for Blue Water Grill, but you will be treated like you are at a 5-Star restaurant.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/28/05 04:15 PM

your choices on this Island are clear to me ,Casa picasso ,victoria house are both award winners.and both will have ,the ambiance and food in combination you want... Richo's at bayon bay was just terrible last two times ,food overcooked,fatty meats . service poor ,surly manager ..I eat out lots on the island ..the above others reccommendations are all very good ,papis was just a inside joke not the place you wanted...food very good but more like a diner.. go live the dream and enjoy..

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/29/05 01:30 AM

Sorry to hear Rico's has gone down hill, had a beautiful Valentine's day dinner there almost 2 years ago.
Posted By: Razorfish

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/29/05 02:50 AM

One night we went to Le Bistro at Portofino. (http://www.portofinobelize.com/lacuisine.html). Its a 15 minute free boat ride north from the pier at Fido's. Captain Mo picks you up at 7:30. There were 4 other couples in the boat and I was the only guy in shorts. The food was very tasty. The atmosphere was AC upscale but not snooty at all. Very friendly. They have a frozen Key Lime pie that is extraordinary! I know my desserts. Slightly OT: Best flan is at Papi's and dont miss the cococnut ice cream at the place next to the cococnuts internet cafe.
Posted By: spl

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/29/05 05:22 AM

I was at Rico's in May this year, it was fabulous, outstanding. Wonderful Stone Crab and Mayan Shrimp and the best snook I have ever had on the island.

The place with the coconut ice cream is Manelly's. Elvi's has amazing flan, but I am excited to try Papi's when I return.
Posted By: lacysbeach

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/29/05 08:59 AM

We stayed at Capitan Morgan's, it was very romantic!! But a quick ride down the beach, Cappricorn couldn't be beat for one of the most fun and romantic places we were.. and also, if you leave early enough before sunset/sunrise, you just might make it to Belizian Shores to have a "Mojito" a wonderful island drink. I had one on the 3rd Floor and spilled it!!Never had a sip!! So sorry to that bartender!! I ordered one barrel after that!!
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/29/05 11:01 AM

I am surprised no one has mentioned El Divinos.

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/29/05 01:40 PM

Agree with Capt. Jeff on Rico's, stayed at Banyon Bay a week & ate there 3 or 4 times and found it very average at the best!
Loved Banyon Bay though!!

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/29/05 06:44 PM

Byron your also on the money,el divino might be nice choice.
Posted By: Spyder

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/29/05 11:20 PM

I am really suprised that no one has thought about the Victoria House. Very elligent dinning room. Many guest "dress-up" for diner there
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/29/05 11:46 PM

look up, look waaay up.
Posted By: suzanne0918

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/30/05 12:07 AM

we are down now and had a wonderful meal at Yumil's. Its just south of the airstrip outside of the Belize Yacht Club. we sat out on the upstairs patio and enjoyed a good meal and excellent service.
Posted By: suzanne0918

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/30/05 12:08 AM

anybody have an opinion on the Jade Garden??
Posted By: kris48

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/30/05 12:21 AM

Really good food. If you go, say Hi to the waiter for us (Kevin, I think). Must try the egg rolls! And the lobster was fantastic. Not necessarily a dress-up place--felt okay in shorts.

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/30/05 01:39 AM

I have heard taste of thailand is far better than Jade, however heard great reviews of Jade as well. I know taste of thailand is pricy, but supposively meals are huge and plenty for two.

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/30/05 12:14 PM

The Jade Garden is one of my favorites, the egg rolls are awesome, most people don't realize they have a great seafood menu.
Love the sweet & sour shrimp!!.
Posted By: peisre

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/30/05 05:18 PM

My personal opinion is that Casa Picasso is way over ratted! On our last night on the Island we had to pick from Casa Picasso or Victoria House. We picked Casa Picasso and it was very disappointing!!! If you have a minimum idea of what good tapas and good sangria is, you will know what Iím talking aboutÖ
From the restaurants that we went to, Blue Water Grill was our favorite. Best fish I ever ate outside my native country, Portugal. Very good dessert too.

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 11/30/05 05:31 PM

sounds like you didn't miss anything if your other choice was Victoria House. It was the worst and most expensive we went to the whole time. I have heard great things about Casa Picasso. It says in the articles in the paper online last week that Casa Picasso won some award for best restraunts in the world.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/01/05 10:10 PM

Just goes to show you Ė to each his own! I talked to someone last night who ate at Ricoís at Banyan Bay the other night and said the food was of very poor quality.
I like the idea of dressing up and going barefoot! Very sensual.
I took a couple of my guests via Island Ferry up to Rojoís at Azulís for lunch the other day. WOW! I donít like traveling by boat at night but many people do. I met Jeff, the owner, and talked to him about how he designed the place. Chef Al is amazing. Two of us shared a lobster salad and couldnít finish it.
I have a ritual Ė the night guests arrive we go to Hamiltonís for Fish and Chips. These are incredible! Iíve talked to them about their prices; if they charged less they would get more customers. Their sea food is fresh everyday and they serve large portions. They are a stones throw north of the cut Ė before the road gets too bad.
In town the Stained Glass Pub is not a dressy place but the food is. Try Tuesday, Italian Night.
cool
Posted By: WhiteWater

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/01/05 10:22 PM

We had the same experience at Banyan Bay's restaurant, the food wasn't that good. But our server was friendly and took good care of us, so maybe the bad service was just a fluke.
Posted By: California Girl

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/05/05 04:34 AM

Placidguy - that's not fair. If Member #7643 hasn't been to AC yet, he/she doesn't understand - - - dressing up really isn't part of life, at least as I experienced AC awhile back an expect to find it again. And Papi's is AWESOME - but I does Papi even do dinner? Breakfast and lunch is wonderful....Hopefully, Member #7643 knows that you cannot walk on AC in high heels...................
Posted By: seashell

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/05/05 05:01 AM

Of course, Papi's does dinners.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/05/05 05:11 AM

and damned good ones at that!
Posted By: Emril

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/10/05 09:00 PM

When we were in San Pedro we went to Rojo Lounge 3 times in a week because it was so good. It was in my opinion, the most beautiful beach restaurant on the island and the bar has everything! At night, tiki torches light the entire beach and the whole place is decorated in bamboo. My wife and I ordered several different dishes to share. The guava glazed ribs were the best ribs I've ever had. They have these shrimp they make that are crusted with some kind of green banana I think that are excellent. The lobster stuffed grouper and crab wontons are very original. We were lucky to be there when they had the whole fried fish for a special and this was the freshest fish I have ever had in my life! Everything comes with several tropical dipping sauces which really makes the food even more interesting. I would definitely rate Rojo Lounge as one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at.

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/10/05 09:22 PM

Emril, when were you in san pedro, how long ago was your visit?
Posted By: Savanno

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/11/05 01:58 AM

Le Bistro at Portofino is a GREAT restaurant.
They also do private dining on the end of the pier, talking about the most romantic thing to do on your vacation, only they require for making reservations for that.
The food is excellent, not that expensive at all when you consider that the transportation is for free and the staff, especially Mo, is great!
Posted By: Emril

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/13/05 03:07 AM

Well i as in the cay for 6 nights i loved it thats why am comming back to buy my house....Up North....

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/13/05 03:43 PM

after my six months away will be back to try some of the new places mention above.. looks like I will do a capt jeff food and service report again ,not that I am the world's food critic....but I think I know hot from not as I owned or should I say had a intrest in some of the best places in the city years back........ I am person that goes out to nice places almost every chance I get and like good food,and service....but it is a tough job to rate a restaurant in one vist,and probably not fair .. but will share just my opinion ?? if you care..
Posted By: catdog

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/14/05 01:14 PM

HI everyone! Has anyone had the chance to try the new restaurant that opened in the past few months south of town..I think it was called YUMI or YUMMI? It looked quite nice from the outside, but the real question is how is the food and service? Price range? type of cuisine?
Capt, you may have to be the first to critique! :-)
Thanks....
Posted By: Kristykins

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/14/05 03:14 PM

I wish we could have made it to more of these restaurants while there but, my favorite that we did make it to was Elvi's!!
Posted By: JLOWE

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/14/05 05:28 PM

I agree different tastes for different people. My wife and I just got back from AC and while staying at VH had several great dinners at VH. However, the one night we ventured out, based on recommendations on this thread and others, we went to Capricorn. Was not impressed at all. Maybe it was the fact that we had to pay 35$BZE, $17 for a crabcake appetizer that consisted of one measly little crabcake. And then the entrees were nothing special and overpriced. They were out of the stuffed grouper which was recommended. All in all, the best thing about the evening was the taxi ride up and back. But to each, their own.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/15/05 01:53 PM

Most of the servers in these restaurants have never eaten in a restaurant, and never will.
Most will go home at night to a tiny rented room with dirt floor and shared outhouse.
The lack of understanding shown in some of the e-mails above highlights more about the writer's ignorance than about the ignorance of the servers.
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/15/05 02:11 PM

I should stay out of this, since we tend not to go to the more expensive restaurants. But, I have to say that every single wait person we encountered on our recent trip was friendly and competent. I don't want to go to restaurants here and feel like I'm in a fancy restaurant in the states or elsewhere.

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/15/05 03:02 PM

I hear you and understand Diane. But doesn't that then invite the question as to where the money is going? If prices charged are equivalent to prices at finer places back home, then the servers should be receiving salaries somewhat commensurate with those at home. Don't you think?

(Even taking into consideration, extra costs due to location.)
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/15/05 04:09 PM

The North American assumption that you get more, bigger and better for more money is just not a reflection of local Belizean realities.

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/15/05 04:52 PM

There is a reason why America is the fattest country in the world.

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/15/05 06:48 PM

And there's another reason I like places like Papi's and Ambergris Delight. Food is good, service is good to great and prices are in line.

I can pay 5 star at home and generally get 5 star for the money.

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/15/05 06:52 PM

I was really shocked @ how expensive the restauarants were. If I had my way, I would have just eaten at Ali Baba's everyday.
Posted By: Pam&Dave

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/15/05 08:18 PM

I certainly didn't expect such a lashing! In no way did I mean to call servers ignorant. My post was absolutely not intended to hit such a nerve. As I previously stated, the managers/owners of restaurants are at fault. It is their responsibility to train the staff especially when they charge the kind of prices they do. It takes very little time to teach the basic and even finer skills of the restaurant floor. The fact that a person has not eaten in a restaurant does not make them unable to learn new skills. Give them some credit! Bartenders aren't born knowing how to mix a good drink, they learned from someone. A trained, skilled restaurant server has the potential to provide a better income for themselves and their families. It is a win - win situation. Enough said on that! Geeez! The best meals I had while in SP were in side street buildings with dirt floors and shared outhouses. I do not consider that a negative or lowly living environment. That is how many live. I would much rather eat and share an evening with a local family run business rather than an expensive restaurant anyday. Actually, fishing all day and bringing the catch to a small out of the way family restaurant to have it prepared with all the delicious island seasonings, rice and beans - sharing with new friends, now that is a perfect and memorable meal. I will never claim to be an expert on Belizean realities but the one thing I do know, the native Belizean people, are the most gracious, generous and serene people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. On the other hand, there are certain individuals not from Belize who live in their private beachfront homes with all the comforts of the privileged who consider themselves authorities on the ethics of Belize and it's people. Appearing compassionate is more often than not a self serving gesture. They will never know the true humility and selfless kindness that comes naturally to most Belizeans. If you come to Belize with an open mind and heart, not looking to benefit, you will leave a better person.

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/16/05 07:34 AM

Thanks to all who have been so helpful on this board. Your advise on restaurants, guides, tours, etc. made our trip very special. I was verbally attacked on this thread because I voiced my opinion. I won't subject myself to that kind of negative exchange. Life is too short. Again, thanks so much. The majority of you are amazing human beings. Please remember to treat each other with respect and politeness.
Merry Christmas to all.
Peace be with you,
Pam

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/16/05 08:05 AM

Pam, there was nothing wrong with you posting your opinion. I'm sorry you took the response so to heart. Your opinion matters too. In the process of you offering yours and others theirs, we all learn.

It doesn't pay to be too sensitive in the world of the internet. wink

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/16/05 11:04 AM

Pam, I have found severals to be very unkind lately to a few lately. I think they are in their old rut back home and haven't left home to visit SP in awhile. If not that, jealous that others have been here lately. wink
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/16/05 12:49 PM

Full Moon syndrome strikes again smile

There will always be opinions...some care.. some don't.
Turn the page and keep smiling laugh

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/17/05 09:52 AM

Pam & Dave,
I have to agree with you that the humble people of Belize offer compassion, kindness and true humility. It just comes naturally to them!! We the tourists are the"ugly ones" sometimes. I hope to only make things better. We can be a part of the problems , or we can help with solutions. We can help the Children and Animals or we can just be...partying on, like we think we deserve...But the people here are so generous and wondreful and they deserve the respect of us all!!

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/17/05 07:33 PM

One last post. To all of you who sent PM's, thanks. The "bashing" was especially hurtful because it came from a person I thought was a friend. As I said before, the majority of you "posters" are amazing human beings. This board is a wonderful tool for the new visitor, frequent visitor and SP local.
Shut your eyes, take a deep breath and say a prayer for peace in the coming New Year.
Posted By: UDIVEGIRL

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/17/05 09:02 PM

ANYBODY can be the "ugly one" once in a while no matter where they're from and EVERYBODY deserves respect!

NOBODY is perfect. (Even in Belize)

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/18/05 12:16 PM

Hopefully, I've done just that for the last 40 years...

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/18/05 09:34 PM

Well thanks for all the earlier responses to the original question, but I took the heels and didn't wear them!!! Everywhere we went for breakfast, lunch or dinner was great. We spent our last night on Friday by going out w/Luis on the blue sailboat for a fantastic sunset cruise where my husband, Luis and his crew ALL got to see what's supposed to be a once in a lifetime thing - the green flash!! They were all thrilled - I think I must have blinked just at the wrongt time!! We went on up the beach to the Tackle Box and had a lovely dinner there.

We had two days of rain and I could definitely see why heels would be a pain!!! You should've seen my flip flops by the time we'd walked to and from Casa Picasso's - they almost looked like clay boots, not to mention my filthy feet!!

We got home in the wee hours this morning and I'm now trying to go through the 400 digi pics I took and must drop off 5 underwater cameras and 13 rolls of 35 mm film in the morning!!! We didn't get to the northern end of the island but that'll be another trip, once again armed with loads of film and cameras!! And yes, I DID get to enjoy the island through my own eyes and not just behind the camera!!! Loved it! Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions and advice, it was a great experience.

Cheers!

Moon
Posted By: klcman

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/18/05 10:42 PM

Welcome home, Moon!

Get busy on the pics!
Posted By: Marty

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/19/05 09:40 AM

me too!!! can't wait to see the pics!!!!
:>

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/20/05 03:02 AM

Can you lend me a shovel and an ice pick KLC?!! AAAAAAH! Turn the clock back a week, I'll take the delays and everything!!!

As for the pics, I just picked up 13 rolls of 35mm and 4 underwater disposable cameras that had 27 exposures on each at lunchtime today, and I have more than 400 on the digi camera - have selected $96 worth to get back as prints...... so, let me know when you're ready to see ALL the pics!!!

Actually got some cool ones of the manta rays, but obviously a lot of photos need to be scrapped - may take me awhile but I'll post some once I've had a chance to scrutinize them!!

Sorry I missed you Marty. We were at BC's BBQ on Sunday 11th and someone thought you'd been around. Only met up with one other person from the boards, actually at that Sunday BBQ but we'd arranged that by email ahead of time. Maybe next time!
Posted By: sunny smile

Re: Looking for a restaurant to "dress up" and go to one evening - 12/20/05 03:11 PM

Hi there,
after all these suggestions I wanted to copy a post into this forum that an editor from Seattle added to her "diary" some days ago. She wrote about the "top 5 things she loves about Belize" and # 1 is the food.
Here's what she wrote (I suppose, dear Minnette, you give me the permission to post it!):

"Iíve had some of the best food of my life while on this vacation. The Victoria House has a well-deserved reputation for their food, and the food was absolutely delicious there. But do you want to know a secret? The food at the Salamander Hideaway has been even better. Everything Iíve had here has been beyond delicious, from pan fried yellowtail, to fresh salsa, to rice and beans with stewed chicken, to the best salad nicoise in the world. ..... My other new favorite food is eschabeche, a soup with a clear broth, lots of onions, lime, pepper, and chicken. Itís the ultimate hangover cure, and better than a billion bowls of matzo ball soup. ...."
Salamander offers one 6-course-dinner every night with a mixture of tasty Central American specialties and light Mediterranean food, fresh fish and Caribbean deserts - everything home-made, simple, unique and sooooo tasteful! - yummi :-)
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board