AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Snorkling Reservations

Posted By: George cooper

Snorkling Reservations - 12/05/05 09:41 PM

Am arriving end of Jan. Is it necessary to pre book snorkling trips?

Also..what locations are calmer than others. Hate snorkling in choppy waters. Is end of Jan ok with respect to wind conditions?
Posted By: clover

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/05/05 09:50 PM

No....you can book thru your hotel or take a walk down the beach.......I prefer Mexico Rocks and Tres Cocos to the north first...then Holchan and Shark Ray...if you don't want to rush into anything....If you're only going to snorkel once go to Holchan...it has the most wildlife.

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/05/05 09:56 PM

Originally posted by George cooper:
Am arriving end of Jan. Is it necessary to pre book snorkling trips?

Also..what locations are calmer than others. Hate snorkling in choppy waters. Is end of Jan ok with respect to wind conditions?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/06/05 06:45 PM

laugh Book ahead of time or request Lil Alphonse and dont worry about choppy water the little chop you get inside the reef shouldnt bother anybody

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/08/05 09:43 PM

Thanks for the responses. I plan to snorkel as muuch a possible, but often get cramped up in calfs..guess I need to exercise more before my trip.

For anyone who wears glasses, I discovered prescription masks several years ago..they are great. Just take your prescription in to a dive shop, and they pop in the properlenses..really much better viewing.
Posted By: Kirin

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/11/05 10:53 PM

You can wait untill you get there.

If I have one major complaint about AC you can't walk 20 yards on the beach without someone trying to sell you a trip
Posted By: klcman

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/11/05 11:18 PM

really?
Posted By: Kristykins

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/12/05 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Kirin:
You can wait untill you get there.

If I have one major complaint about AC you can't walk 20 yards on the beach without someone trying to sell you a trip
I just started ignoring them after a while. The guys trying to get you weaseled into time shares are a little annoying though. They would even come up to our hotel & try to find us there. Not good.
Posted By: h20lover

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/12/05 08:15 PM

Oh, no don't tell me the timeshare sharks have made it to AC. We visit Mexico quit often and they are very annoying! I am finally making it back to AC after 4 years and my last trip was wonderful. No one tried to sell us anything and it was bliss, not like in Mexico when you have to say "Nada" every ten seconds!
Posted By: Babakay

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/12/05 08:18 PM

We were there the middle of November and walked up and down the beach at least once a day and no one ever asked us to buy anything. Should I be offended?
Posted By: WhiteWater

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/12/05 08:41 PM

We get hit up a lot, and I've found that lying works well. As in 'we just did that yesterday, it was great!', or 'thanks, we just bought a few', etc. Works every time to end the conversation. Oh, and we always keep walking.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/12/05 09:19 PM

From the latest Chamber minutes:

7) Timeshare Salesmen:

Many members expressed that the aggressive time share salesmen were back on the island again and harassing many tourists and residents alike on the streets and on private property. Tom reported that several complaints had come into the Chamber from businesses and tourists. Last time this happened, Tom met with Ernie, owner of Captain Morgan’s, and the problem was resolved immediately.

It now seems that those overbearing salesmen terminated by Captain Morgan’s have unfortunately moved on to another resort (edited), and seem to be up to their old tactics. The Mayoress had made it clear last time that these sales offerings are to be made from designated booths or specified locations, not on the streets, beaches, or other business and private locations.

The additional complaints brought up by three Members during the meeting were about the salesmen hustling for a certain resort (edited), and one incident with one working for another resort (edited). One misleading tactic used at one resort (edited) was mentioned in particular….such as stating they will get a week’s stay at the resort for free simply for listening to the sales pitch, when in fact it really is only to get a chance for a drawing for a free week.

Our businesses are greatly concerned that these techniques will hurt our long-term tourism, and that these salesmen are here only to make themselves allot of money quickly and will leave us to deal with an unpleasant reputation. This is truly a horrible way to do business when it leaves tourists infuriated, and it is not what we, as a community, want to be.

The resort names were edited as they may not have been aware of or condoned the actions of the sales people. They will have been contacted by now and it appears that they have taken action as I noticed over the last few days that the usual "hit and run by golf cart" salesmen were stationed at booths instead of driving around town. Maybe things are looking up.
Posted By: WhiteWater

Re: Snorkling Reservations - 12/12/05 10:12 PM

That's great, I didn't realize the restrictions were in place. Most people selling things are satisfied with a 'no thank you', except the timeshare crew.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board