AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: sev32665 deep sea fishing - 12/07/05 04:03 AM
after my trip to ac this past spring i must have talked alot about how great it was 'cause now my bosses will be going in february....anyway, my question is---they are looking to do some serious deep sea fishing while there, could anyone give me any names of good quality day trips($$ is not necessarily a factor but they do like to get a good deal). I don't fish so I have no idea who to tell them to try so suggestions would be greatly appreciated. they are staying at portofino and i see it is very far north, is there much to do there when not out on the water? thanks for the tips! and i must say i wish i was going with them but someone has to hold down the fort i suppose.
Posted By: casa de amor Re: deep sea fishing - 12/07/05 04:17 AM
just my experiences on deep sea fishing: I have been several times with many local guides who are friends of my family, we have bee all over the island outside the reef up north,and south, we mostly only caught baracuda, and then some tuna. This was in the month of July so maybe its different during other months. I would say that if they are really into deep sea fishing and thats all they want then the real trip is too Turneffe island( its an island or several small island with a reef around the whole island) It is a world class fishing spot. I went there with on a deepsea fishing adventure. We left from AC its a couple hours away.They compnay that we went with are not in AC anymore they were from an island in south Belize.
Posted By: KC Re: deep sea fishing - 12/07/05 06:02 AM
My husband went deep sea fishing last week and caught a big wahoo, plus some others I can't remember. He has gone with Ricky Marin several times and likes him a lot.

KC
Posted By: Anonymous Re: deep sea fishing - 12/07/05 07:10 PM
laugh imho Pete Graniel 226-2584 Cell 602 5088 just fished with him in late November great boat, good gear, knows his sh#@. not sure if he will pick up that far north but probably will.
Two trips with him were a lot of fun and I know he will make a trip to Turneffe if asked
Posted By: Anonymous Re: deep sea fishing - 12/07/05 07:13 PM
By the way a trip to Turneffe is incredible- like another world Try to visit marker caye where the lighthouse is for lunch and snorkel the narrow cut just west of the lighthouse SUPER! treacherous dock walking onto beach there be careful
Posted By: captjeff Re: deep sea fishing - 12/09/05 05:39 PM
rykat lets here from you ,give me a report on your fishing was away ,now back in town ..would love to chat..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: deep sea fishing - 12/09/05 11:38 PM
Hello Capt Jeff! Hope all is well with you! Had a fabulous trip. was there from Nov 21 till Dec 3.
Wont bother with a formal trip report but will give you the skinny in fishin, snorklin and eatin. Three of several most important thngs to do while in AC.
Fishing:
Did two trips in a row with one of AC's more prestigious captains but will not name him right now because he still owes me a $400 refund for a third trip which he did not show up and did not here from him for several days he's got till Christmas to mail back my deposit before I rip him a new one on this board.
Made two trips with Pete Graniel and they were fantastic. did just what we wanted to do (bottom fish - snappers and groupers- outside the reef had a blast fishing as deep as 500 ft of water. Caught genuine reds, silk snappers,several different groupers - had some "steam engines" hooked but rocked up most of them, and some big amberjacks (up to 60 pounds). Great fishing, great crew, couldnt ask for more, Would fish with Pete again and again.
Snorkeling:
Made one trip on the "tuff enuf II" I think was the name dint matter where we went this guys didnt give a crap.
Then we found Lil Alfonse (remembered from the boards) He is the man. Fantastic. Made all of the rest of our snorkeling trips with him and had a blast - very informative, patient, lots of fun and makes a killer rum punch. Even did a charter with him - went to Caye Caulker again, snorkeled coral gardens and made a stop at Hol Chan just before Sundown. Here me Capt Jeff - been to Hol Chan 12 or 13 times before but never at this time of the day - couldnt believe the stuff we saw. School of 8 or 9 Rainbow Parrots (around 40 pounds apiece came thru the channel and raised some hell with some of the smaller fish(grunts etc.)chasin' them around into the coral.
When we first went in there was a school of grey snappers on the edge of the drop near the boat. ( maybe 50 fish in the school) when we snorkeled back from the channel maybe 15 minutes later the school had grown to 500 or more fish. They appeared to be gathering from the west and swimming out thru the channel to deeper water. Most of the resident Black groupers that are hard to see during the day were out of their holes and a couple of pretty good sized ones were messing around with the big Parrots. I could keep going but you get the idea.
While we were there we went to bacalar chico - super(first time). Mexico rocks - been there but with Alfonse a totally new experience(also tres cocos) Coral Gardens, Rocky Point, and by the wreck near Mexico rocks - all were great. Would recommend Alfonse to all.
Eatin': (scale of 1 to 10...I'm picky!)
El Divino good breakfasts, not bad dinners probably a 7 (real good Thanksgiving dinner)
Celi's - real good seafood give it an 8
Blue Water grill - good overall but the shrimp sticks with bean sauce - killer item as was the Flourless chocalate cake with van ice cream overall a 9
Casa Picasso - disappointing a really great soup(bisque) but "wheres the rest"? very tiny portion. I had penne picasso - was so hot couldn't taste it, wife had Lasagne eh?! others in group had different items - nothing special, desert inferior to BWgrille - overall a 6
Remember islanders its IMHO you guys can think what you want.
El Patio - ick - dusty, buggy, tasteless a 3 1/2
Elvi's overall good an 8
Jambel Jerk I liked it half our family yes the other half no give it a 7.
Simon's stuff at the room that we ordered - A-1
nice job Simon
Stayed at two places while there Banana Beach(got plenty of exercise on the third floor) great place and people would stay again.
And the Palms (by Ramons) great spot, nice people, good service - would stay again.

What did I miss? Weather was spectacular, not too hot, not much wind - great for fishin went for the day to Marker is. at Turneffe Atoll kick ass spot great snorkelin probably great bottom fishin but didnt do it
Thats about it. Would put some pictures in when I figure out how CANT WAIT TILL NOVEMBER 06
Rykat laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Chloe Re: deep sea fishing - 12/09/05 11:47 PM
Rykat, great trip report, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: sev32665 Re: deep sea fishing - 12/10/05 01:17 AM
thanks for all suggestions and tips--what is the weather like there in Februaury though?
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: deep sea fishing - 12/10/05 04:59 AM
Feb weather is wonderful here. Perfect. Not rainy not super hot not cool. perfect.
Posted By: captjeff Re: deep sea fishing - 12/10/05 03:31 PM
rykat.. you are my man just a super fishing report.. , please e mail me at the personal e mail about??? [email protected] or call 1800 231 7447 .ask for the capt.. very intrested ?????? about the stuff you will not share on board ..would like to chat off board thanks buddy.. ..
Posted By: suzanne0918 Re: deep sea fishing - 12/10/05 06:20 PM
Was down with husband, step children, & step-children spouses at the same time and we stayed at the Palms...must have crossed paths with you at one time or another Rykat. Sorry to hear about El Patio, we had an awesome dinner there despite our table being more than somewhat tilted due to uneven footing. Also had a great meal at the Stained Glass Pub. Was really surprised at the supermarket prices...do not remember Nancy's being so ridiculously overpriced. Cheaper to eat out than using the kitchen.
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: deep sea fishing - 12/10/05 09:32 PM
suzanne / It is true - grocery prices are unbelievable! I asked around and tried different stores. Prices are 4 to 5 times higher than in California on everything! We had breakfast in our condo cause I am not a morning person and like to sit around in my nightie and have a couple cups of coffee. (Coffee was good but the cheapest I could find was $10.00 a lb.) A bag of Doritos for my son was $7.50US. I watched the locals and bought Tang and mixed up big patches because juices and sodas were so expensive. I'm not a cheapy - but when you go to AC don't plan on saving money by eating in. Restaurant prices are up there too. It was common to drop $125.00 for dinner & tip (2 kids, 2 adults) no booze, basic meals. It was a reality that I wasn't quite prepared for. I guess that is the price you pay staying on an island that everything has to be barged over from mainland. Bring lots of money!
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: deep sea fishing - 12/10/05 09:39 PM
Our best meal was the one I prepared with the fresh caught yellow tail snapper and some other fish called "Jack" my son and husband caught the day before we left. The best fish we have ever tasted! Nothing like fish prepared just after it comes out of the water! I was going to say that was our cheapest meal - but I almost forgot it cost $150.00 for the boat and gear (half day). So there you go - over $100.00 for dinner.
Posted By: KC Re: deep sea fishing - 12/11/05 02:23 AM
Well, it's not *supposed* to be rainy in February. Over the past 4 years I've been there every month of the year, and February is the only time that it has rained solid for 3 days, and I mean RAIN. So, it's like everywhere else; can't *promise* clear skies any time of year. (But I believe what is "usual" for February is some pretty strong breezes).

When I left San Pedro yesterday (9th) it was pouring down rain, but I was sitting at BCs having my going-away burrito in a tank top and I was hot. About 9 hours later I landed in Portland, Oregon and it was clear and dry and 27 degrees. I don't complain much about the rain in San Pedro. laugh laugh laugh
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board