AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: SimonB Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/16/05 09:39 PM
You do? Fantastic! That $20 will go a long way towards helping the Saga Humane Society reach their goal of building a new animal clinic. Donations can be made through the Saga website at //www.ambergriscaye.com/sagasociety/donation.html

Please take 5 minutes of your time to make a donation. If you've found any of my posts on this board to be helpful think of it as a pay back. This cause is very close to my heart and I ask everyone to please help out in any way you can.

On October 1st Saga will be evicted from our current facilities and we're trying to raise funds to build a new clinic. While donations are coming in it looks like there is no way they'll be able to get the new facilities up in time unless we radically increase the number of donations or find an angel to front the cost while we work towards raising funds.

Without a clinic on the island the health of the islands animals would rapidly go downhill and we'd soon be seeing increasing numbers of strays and malnourished animals on the streets.

Hundreds read this board and if everyone could give just $20 it would go a long way towards helping us meet our goals.

Cheers,

Simon...
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/16/05 09:39 PM
I thought I'd bring this thread back to life while everyone is in the Christmas mood. It's been a rough year for thousands of people throughout the world but we can't forget those who can't speak up for themselves.

Saga suspended our fund-raising efforts earlier in the year for a number of reasons but mainly due to the hurricane Emily that affected the economy of San Pedro right when business was starting to slow down. Following that we had the tragedies that took place on the Gulf Coast in the US and it just didn't seem like the right time to be soliciting funds for our efforts.

Our fund raising efforts for the new clinic are at $9,050US, which puts a long way from reaching our goal of building a permanent clinic and shelter for the animals of Ambergris Caye. We need your help in this time of giving to allow us to give the animals of the island the love and care that they deserve. We've achieved the goal of bringing a full-time vet to the island; if you can spare $20 it would go a long way to helping us achieve our final goal.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/16/05 10:07 PM
I wish I could ...for the 1st time in a long time I don't even have that to spare. I can't remember the last time I've been this broke! As soon as I do have something to spare though I will be donating towards any fundraiser to help the animals and/or children of AC.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/16/05 10:22 PM
Simon - can you tell people here how they can actually get the money to you?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/16/05 10:47 PM
Hi Peter, anyone can donate through the website noted above, or if you're on the island, you can drop off at the clinic Monday to Friday from 9am until 12 noon. The clinic is located right across from the south entrance to Island Academy. Failing that you can drop your donation with Kathy at Pampered Paws which is on Middle Street just north of the primary school. S...

kristykins, it was worth it though wasn't it.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/17/05 02:12 PM
There was some question on whether or not the donation form was actually secure. It is but the lock only shows up when the information is submitted.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/17/05 03:59 PM
Simon this is a good cause,one of many that are dear to me..I have pledged,to bring down a check , just called simon two days ago so to say count me in again .so this appeal is very special at christmas time lets all help....lets help make the island and help good charities in sanpedro to have a living the dream year ...
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/17/05 05:47 PM
Thanks Jeff, and thanks again for your continuing support.
Posted By: reaper Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/17/05 05:58 PM
Hi Simon, I'll see you in February. I have an idea to get my group involved in SAGA. See you then.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/17/05 06:12 PM
Tandem jumps with dogs?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/17/05 06:38 PM
I'll jump in a dog suit if it'll bring in more donations!
Posted By: reaper Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/17/05 07:50 PM
That will make a great photo!!!!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/17/05 11:53 PM
You bring the suit and I'll jump in it! (kind of hard to find those kind of things down here)
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/18/05 03:13 AM
I will be down Jan 4 and would donate $20 to the cause,I could bring it to the clinic,but would like to meet you SimonB
Posted By: lacysbeach Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/18/05 11:08 AM
I'm trying to figure out how we can turn Sants's suit INTO a dog suit!!Any way I look at it, the dog looks too RED!!
PS.Simon, we'll get some people in the great state of Texas to form a benefit for the pets, Just because they love animals! We can spread your word tonight!!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/18/05 02:54 PM
BC's BBQ on the 8th, I'm almost always there for my lunch and some tunes. S...

Thanks LB.
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/18/05 07:38 PM
I will be at Bc's on the 8th Simon,around 1:30--as you mentioned,your help at this site is well worth the donation to SAGA,thanks
Posted By: desertrat Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/18/05 08:12 PM
Simon, I reach SP on Wednesday. Will you be at BC's next Sunday? Christmas? I would like to give.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/18/05 09:18 PM
Should be, all depends on how bad (or good depending on how you look at it) Chrismas Eve was, usually it's an all nighter here.
Posted By: desertrat Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/18/05 09:25 PM
well, I'll give it a try, providing I make it, myself - ha, if not - I'll catch up somewhere. I'm there for 2 weeks.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/19/05 03:16 AM
Simon

How many charities do you run and how often have you published accounts???
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/19/05 02:01 PM
Peter you know full well that Saga's books are open for public review upon appointment. You can call Mary Hawthorne at 226-3077 anytime during business hours and make that appointment anytime you want. You've been spouting that line as long as I've known you but you've never made the effort to follow up, maybe today should be the day. Other than supporting other charities through donations of money or free advertising Saga is the only charity that I am involved in.

One thing I forgot, Saga has an AGM each year which is open to the public, the date of which is published in the newspapers. Financials are handed out to all in attendance.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/19/05 03:15 PM

kristykins, it was worth it though wasn't it. [/QB]
Absolutly. wink

I've been trudging along, the last week or so with not more than a few bucks to get by but not once have I regretted one second of being in Belize & every dollar spent wink

Well, okay I maybe didn't have to buy those last rounds of shots, but hey...we were on vacation! :p
Posted By: Moon Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/20/05 03:11 AM
Hey Simon,

Is there anyway that SAGA can find missing domesticated "wild" animals and return them to their "owners?"

Last Thursday and Friday two animals were stolen from two different people that we met up with on the island.

The first was a young boy, about 10ish, who I'd seen riding up the beach with a racoon on his handlebars a couple of times, and when I saw him on the day I left he said someone had gone into his house and broken into the cage and stolen the racoon in the night. I think he said his name was Esmond, cute kid.

And the other person we met through the kids was Jesus at the "Animal Park" just down from Xanadu. The kids had taken me there a few days beforehand to see his monkey, and he also showed me a baby bush pig/hog/piglet that he had, called Maggi. I had stuff left over in the fridge that I thought he could use for the animals and some stuff for himself and when I visited him, he said that the baby bush pig had been stolen in the night also.

I didn't know whether this was something that SAGA could help with, if only to get the animals to their center for proper care while they're so young and practically domesticated.

Just a thought.....!

Don't bother sending me back milk money, put it towards the cause! Sorry I can't help out financially with the animals right now but I was able to help some kids in San Pedro thro Kath and also sent stuff to Debbie in Dangrida.

Festivimas to you all!

Moon
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/20/05 04:05 PM
Simon, will I have any problem with customs for bringing supplies in for the animal clinic? I have lots of instruments and medications. Also have a few syringes and needles. And of course, ace wraps and miscellaneous stuff. I likely will have a large bin full, and am unsure how best to get them to you. We can check it into the airplane, but once we get to Belize, how difficult will it be to get it to you? My plan is to place all of it in a transparent plastic bin, and tape it shut, with our name as well as SAGA on it. Hopefully, this will do, but should customs get testy, what do we do?
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/20/05 11:17 PM
My advice would be to hide everything in your bags and go through the nothing to declare channel-the odds are that your bags will not be opened-if they are-claim that they have no commercial value and that you were correct in saying that you had nothing to declare-
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/21/05 01:53 AM
Truly bad advice!
Posted By: Chris Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/21/05 02:25 AM
I think the syringes should stay at home. You can buy syringes prescription-free (unfortunately for some) at any drug store in Belize for absolute peanuts.

As for the other stuff, Pedro1 is right and wrong, no need to hide it from customs, just tell them it's for the benefit of the island, they'll let you through.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/22/05 12:34 PM
Hi All, sorry been a bit swamped and haven't had time to get online.

Bringing donated supplies into the country - I've recently heard rumours that there is a form that can be filled out by an organization to be brought along with the donated items to avoid duties. I'm going to look further into it but it may just be a myth. The best thing to do is to send a list of the items to [email protected] and we will send a covering letter explaining that the items are donated supplies. There is no guarantee that it will be a solution but it's better than nothing. Syringes are fine but needles are best left at home.

Wild Animals - We do not condone the keeping of wild animals as pets, especially Raccoons. Raccoons are not domesticated, live for a long time and are extremely vicious when provoked (Raccoons and Coatimundi are quite capable of killing a dog.) They are cute when kits but anything but when they reach adulthood and they are almost always turned loose to become a nuisance in the community.

Whenever Saga receives a wild animal it receives medical care and if it can be re-introduced to the wild it is taken to Corozal and released in the bush by Dr. Sheila. If it can't be re-introduced it is sent to the Belize Zoo.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/24/05 01:20 AM
Please tell me how a custom officer knows that it is for charity -of course he does not and it then boils down to if he believes you.
The law is, and I have checked up on this (Pedro never wrong-unlike others on this board)-you have to apply way in advance of your arrival for your license to bring goods into the country for charitable purposes.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/24/05 01:32 AM
may be the law, but it's not the custom at customs
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/24/05 01:35 AM
How many times have you been involved with people in customs?
Posted By: Chris Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/24/05 02:05 AM
Am I doing the roast potatoes for Xmas lunch/dinner?

Also, regarding items you have to clear through quarantine ($10.00BZ fee for a bit of paper saying it's OK)something interesting has been added by Customs - slash - Government of Belize to things you have pass through quarantine.

Ceramic tiles.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/24/05 02:08 AM
Yes and a turkey
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 12/24/05 02:10 AM
Merry Christmas to all...
Posted By: Phyllis&Ray Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/07/06 07:50 PM
I just fired off an e-mail to saga regarding an donation and shirt order that I placed back when this thread was first opened. My credit card was billed, but I waited because I figured the mail would be slow, but now 3 months later????
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/07/06 08:40 PM
Phyllis&Ray,
If it makes you feel any better the same thing happened to me. I ordered some t-shirts and gave a sizable donation to become a lifetime member of the SAGA Society. Don't give up hope, the shirts did come. It took so long that I had forgotten about ordering them. I hope the delay means they are so backlogged with orders and donations that they find it impossible to respond in a timely fashion. The next time I am on the island I am going to offer my services to fill any unprocessed shirt orders and write letters of acknowledgement to the people who were kind enough to answer Simon's plea for donations. Whether it be $20 from your pocket or $1,000 from your credit card, a letter of appreciation should immediately be generated by SAGA. I realize that SAGA has a volunteer staff, however, a simple form letter would suffice. People who care enough to donate to SAGA would like to hear from the society. An annual newsletter to people who donated in the past would be awesome. I bet it would remind them to donate again especially if it were sent in November or December. Simon, maybe you could put this issue on the agenda for your next SAGA business/board meeting. I have mentioned to Simon the idea of a "lifetime member" plaque to be hung in the SAGA office. He said that was in the possible planning stages.
Good luck to SAGA - you all are doing a wonderful thing for the animals of the island.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/08/06 03:25 PM
Phyllis&Ray please PM me directly with your name and contact information and I will follow up to see what's going on.

As far as thank you's go it's policy to respond as soon as any donation is processed. If you don't get a response please contact me and I will follow up on it.

Cheers,

Simon...
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/08/06 05:04 PM
Don't forget, every card, every plaque etc costs money. I would prefer that 100% of my donation go to care and shelter of the animals. A basic greeting card here costs around $5 Bz. Then mailing would be around $1 Bz. So, would you rather have a $6 acknowledgement of your donation, or see happy, healthy animals on the island?

This is by no means a personal attack on anybody's comments, simply my opinion on what I believe Saga's priorities and legitimate expenses should be.

Don't forget too that the person that answers the emails, and would write the newsletter etc. is a volunteer - and he would probably rather be feeding the pups than sitting on a computer smile

Pam, love to hear you will be donating a little time to Saga during your next visit.

What if you took the Saga Shirts back to the US with you and mailed them out from there? It would be way less expensive than sending them from here.
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/08/06 06:59 PM
Good idea Amanda. I'd be happy to do that. I volunteer at our local humane society and handle the donation correspondence. A local engraver donated the plaque we have in our office. Lots of people stop and check out who has donated. Many times they pull out their checkbook and donate after witnessing how many generous people have donated before them. I hadn't thought about the cost of postage. I'm sure that is a concern in mailing acknowledgements. Ideally, 100% of donations should go directly to the care of the animals. Our shelter uses volunteers like myself to keep records of donations and do follow-up correspondence with the hope that the donation is not a one shot deal, but is remembered and repeated by the benefactor on an annual basis. I would be more than happy to send a copy to SAGA of our form letter that goes out to individuals and businesses that contribute to our shelter. We couldn't keep our doors open without their support. Our future depends on them.
The SAGA Society is much needed and from what I hear, is doing an awesome job. In no way am I trying to tell them how to run their facility. If I lived on the island, I would volunteer at the shelter as much as I humanly could. I was only throwing out some suggestions that have worked and continue to work for my local humane society. My best wishes and support for all the hard working volunteers at SAGA. It is a thankless job at times. You are the voice and advocates of the innocent animals. Keep up the good work!
Pam
Posted By: seashell Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/08/06 07:21 PM
Looks to me like Saga just got themselves a stateside volunteer to send out thankyou's and annual remember letters.

Way to go, Saga!
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/08/06 07:42 PM
My pleasure. Send me a list with the pertinent information and you can consider it done. I'll pay for all stationery and postage. I guess this is called putting your money where your mouth is!
Believe me, the benefits will be tenfold.
My work will be in memory and honoring Minet, Protech's Dog.
Posted By: seashell Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/08/06 07:59 PM
Whoa!! That's kewl!! Good for you Pam, good for you.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/08/06 10:27 PM
When we droped off some donated supplies We were verbally thanked about ten times by heather and simon and also mary at caye management when she found out. Waaaay more thanks than expected. Made us feel good about what we did. Will bring more next time down. Just knowing that the people in charge of caring for those poor animals are doing everything in there power to care for them is more than enough thanks. If everyone on this board that can spare a little something would contribute, It would make a major differance to saga's success! smile
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/09/06 12:42 PM
Simon, when we were there last month to drop off some supplies, we spoke to Heather about the new clinic. My husband, who has a masters in electrician/hvac offered to assist with this phase of building. Wouldn't it be great if all of the SP Boarders who had any trades experience (or none at all, just muscle power) offered to come down (on their own time, and expense) and volunteer to assist with the building of the Animal Clinic? It would save gobs of money, and the little four legged kids would have a nice new home. OF course, the materials would have to be purchased, but the labor alone savings would be worth it, I'd think. I think most of us can swing a hammer, and we'd all have a greater connection to San Pedro. We could give back, even if it's just in labor, something to the island, and most importantly to the beautiful animals, who need our help. Any ideas???
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/09/06 01:29 PM
It sounds like a great idea, my only concern would be volunteer work permits and licensing issues. However, we are quite a ways away from starting any construction so we should be able to get something worked out by then.

Pam&Dave, I'll pass on your generous offer to the board today to see if we can't get something worked out.

Thanks to everyone for your support!
Posted By: CaliBlueFrog Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/09/06 05:45 PM
Simon, my best friend, (Chicky) and I are coming down May 12-20th, and would LOVE to bring any supplies that you think would not be a problem getting through customs. We would even pay extra for bringing down a special suitcase with blankets, toys, pillows, treats, etc, if you thought that would help?
We would also be delighted to volunteer some time while we are there to help, and leave whatever monetary contribution we can. The only problem is that we would get attached to all the animals there.
It really tugs at our heartstrings when cruelty to animals prevails anywhere, and our condolences to Minet, for the horrible act committed to what was seemingly a wonderful animal. It's a shame we won't get to meet such a sweet dog.

We appreciate all your efforts and look forward to meeting you in person.

Karen & Michelle
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/09/06 06:13 PM
Hi Karen and Michelle,

Can you please contact us directly at [email protected] and we'll get everything set up. We do have a need for volunteer dog walkers as we're up around 40 dogs right now. We also allow fostering during your vacation (if your hotel doesn't mind.)

Many thanks in advance.

Simon...
Posted By: CaliBlueFrog Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/09/06 06:29 PM
Wow Simon, the fostering part sounds cool, but how does that work? We also plan on finishing our certs. for diving while there with Happy & Grumpy, and doing the "usual" touristy things like, cave tubing, zip lining, snorkeling, diving, etc., so what would we do with our "foster" dog while away from the hotel? We are staying at Xanandu, if that helps?

I'll contact you directly at your e-mail address shortly.

K & M
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/09/06 07:30 PM
For fostering you can pick up and return the dog during clinic hours. When you have free time the dog can hang out with you, go for walks...
Posted By: lacysisland Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/11/06 12:07 PM
Simon, if we foster a dog while in SP this summer, and its a great connection, what are the chances that we could take him/her back to TX? We have a great 2 yr old Lab at home already..What are the quarentine issues and costs associated with adoption? Or can we just foster them while we are there and give them back before we go?
Posted By: lacysisland Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/11/06 12:11 PM
I'm such an animal lover that I would have a hard time giving it back, I hope you can be there for us Simon if this happens..
Posted By: SimonB Re: Do you have $20 in your pocket? - 03/11/06 02:46 PM
A health certificate is all you need to take a dog back to the states. Kathy at Pampered Paws specializes in arranging out of country adoptions.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board