AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: michael&jules diving? - 01/21/06 02:24 PM
staying at exotic caye resort. should i just use dive shop at this resort or any other suggestions? Any recommendations on dive spots?
thanks.
Posted By: michael&jules Re: diving? - 01/21/06 03:01 PM
Thank you.
Posted By: J DOG Re: diving? - 01/21/06 03:13 PM
I've only used Amigos Del Mar for diving,they will pick you up at your dock as well as clean & store your gear.
I would recomend a day dive at Hol Chan followed by a nite dive there, the diving is good around San Pedro. For a all day trip I'd try one of the Atoll's-- Light House or Turneffe.
Be there one week from today!!
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: diving? - 01/21/06 06:45 PM
Mikey&Jules, I no longer give my opinion on this question as I stated it too much already...so I am pasting the most recent answers to this question. I have not been diving in a long time so perhaps one day we'll all go...since it sounds like we'll meet up and I'll be painting you then running!

//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/4/t/011411.html#000000
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: diving? - 01/21/06 06:53 PM
oh, and that shop is a fun bunch over Carnaval, was with them last yr to celebrate.

by the way, what is your favorite color paint? I recommend the last day to keep your mouth and eyes closed as much as possible. Geez, goggles would have been great last year but that would look crazy!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: diving? - 01/21/06 10:16 PM
Ask the manager of the hotel who he recommends.
Posted By: clover Re: diving? - 01/21/06 10:30 PM
Excellent advise Pedro2....that's what they are there for!
Posted By: CarribeanSunSeeker Re: diving? - 01/23/06 05:32 AM
We stayed at Exotic Caye back in August and used their "dive shop" for the first two days. They don't have any boats, guides etc. but just book you with other local guides or shops. They were very pleasant and handled everything for booking dive and fishing trips. Their rental equipment however was sad. Our equipment was delayed for a few days by the airlines so we rented equipment from them. On one day I got a regulator which was so hard to breathe through I had to use the octopus, my wife got a air gauge which read exactly the same pressure when she returned from the dive as when she left and my son got a BC that filled itself with air when connected to the air hose. That could have been disasterous forcing him to the surface if not for his quick thinking, dumping the air as quickly as possible and the attention of a good dive guide who sized up the situation quickly and disconnected the air hose. The staff at the "dive shop" were very kind and apologetic and did not charge us for the use of the equipment. I only have nice things to say about them. However, we decided after that to book the diving directly. Protech has a shop one pier over and they are excellent. We also used Amigos Del Mar and Ambergris Divers and were very pleased with them as well. All within easy walking distance. Any of the shops will pick you up and return you to the dock at Exotic Caye resort and you save a few dollars and have better choices booking it directly. By the way, most of the dive guides still know the resort as Playador. Hope you enjoy the diving as much as we did.
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: diving? - 01/27/06 06:26 PM
Hi michael&jules,
I've dived with Bottom Time a few times in the past and been satisfied with their operation. They'll come pick you up at your hotel's dock. I've also dived with Gaz\'s operation and had a good time. Other dive shops I've dived with include Blue Hole Dive Center and the Blue Hole Express "live aboard". I'd dive with any of these shops again, no problem.

Dan
Posted By: inthemarket Re: diving? - 01/27/06 06:43 PM
why would you use the hotels recommendation! If they do not have their own shop, they usually have 'agreements' or arrangements with dive shops and they will set you up with whoever they get commisions. Use who people recommend and have great experiences with.
Posted By: CarribeanSunSeeker Re: diving? - 01/27/06 07:54 PM
I recently received a Private Message from the owner of the dive operation at Exotic Caye Beach Resort. It appears that during August they were having some temporary problems and that they do in fact have boats, guides and a divemaster. You can check their website at www.oceanadventures.com.
Posted By: Phil Re: diving? - 01/27/06 08:42 PM
Whoa! That's a pretty harsh statement damning many hotels. Care to expand on your experiences and qualifications to make such a sweeping statememnt, as it got my hackles up. I can see where you are coming from at the end although I still don't think that is always the best advice for everyone.
Posted By: seashell Re: diving? - 01/27/06 08:53 PM
CaribbeanSunSeeker, LOL, yes, I would certainly believe that those guys were having a little trouble getting their boats all the way to SP.

Maybe try these guys, they might do better, being so much closer. http://www.ocean-connections.com/

ahahahahhaa
Posted By: Barbara K Re: diving? - 01/27/06 08:58 PM
Unfortunately Blue Hole Dive Center has closed down, Dan.
Posted By: RobertE Re: diving? - 01/27/06 11:17 PM
For a personal touch, non crowded boats and the best rental equipment go with Protech. Also do a search on this very topic and you will get lots of results.

Just my two cents
Posted By: mobunny Re: diving? - 01/27/06 11:20 PM
Originally posted by RobertE:
For a personal touch, non crowded boats and the best rental equipment go with Protech. Also do a search on this very topic and you will get lots of results.

Just my two cents
What he said!!! mobunny cool
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator Re: diving? - 01/27/06 11:30 PM
Just a guess, but I'll bet Exotic Caye recommends Protech. wink laugh :p
Posted By: clover Re: diving? - 01/28/06 12:57 AM
Just a guess...but the guy that started this thread hasn't logged back in in 6 days...that being said.....I'll bet he knows more than you think!
Posted By: Belikin Bill Re: diving? - 01/28/06 01:08 AM
Pedro2 knows a little about Protech ask him if they are any good laugh
Posted By: clover Re: diving? - 01/28/06 01:16 AM
I don't think the owner of Protech is going to run down his own shop Billy!!! I ain't no tourist.
Posted By: Belikin Bill Re: diving? - 01/28/06 01:27 AM
No kedden!! This threade this provided some good comic relief from the about the 4th post.
Posted By: clover Re: diving? - 01/28/06 01:39 AM
This whole message Board provides good comic relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Belikin Bill Re: diving? - 01/28/06 02:06 AM
LOL thats really about the only reason I look at it. I will try to help someone we a straight answer now and again. but look at this thread clover its really to funny.

1&2 guy asks what dive shop to use?
3 Jdog surprize reccommeds amigos
4 Kraz Says this is too hot a topic for her
5 Kraz but amigos is great to party with
6 Protech owner says ask his buddy hotel manager
7 You smartass remark
8 exotic caye horror story in equip
9 2 outa 3 aint bad
10 Hotel kickback schemes
11 Use dive shop in Bonaire
12 Casa fells pissed on not all hotels have scheme
13 seashell smartass response honduras dive shop
14 bluehole in 9 closed down
15&16 protech testimonials
17 on smartass responses no wonder Pedro1 goes crazy
Posted By: marge Re: diving? - 01/28/06 02:45 AM
Oh, how funny you are.
Posted By: Belikin Bill Re: diving? - 01/28/06 03:06 AM
Actually marge not. I'm one the the smartasses. The overall post is kinda sad when you think about it.
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator Re: diving? - 01/28/06 03:48 AM
Oops. Sorry.

Had to edit my "smartass" reply. "Bet" gives it a much more realistic tone than the original, mistaken "be" does.

I really don't know who EC recommends. Just guessing...sort of. wink

BB, you cranky or just play that on MB?
Posted By: clover Re: diving? - 01/28/06 03:52 AM
I'm just wondering if BB takes it as well as he slings it. I'd sure like to find out.
Posted By: seashell Re: diving? - 01/28/06 05:59 AM
"17 on smartass responses no wonder Pedro1 goes crazy"

Gosh yes, one must wonder . . .

And while we are at it, why not wonder what substance Pedro1 would have added to this thread?
Posted By: clover Re: diving? - 01/28/06 06:11 AM
Beyond belief.
Posted By: seashell Re: diving? - 01/28/06 06:12 AM
:p
Posted By: Belikin Bill Re: diving? - 01/28/06 09:49 AM
Well I can't remember the last time I was pissed off. I do laugh at myself a lot and hope others don't take me to serious. I have not seen anyone on the board that falls into the "I can't stand the asshole" well maybe one but kicking a dead horse does get old. A smartass reply is always better than the alternative which happens way to often.

As I said in another post CM I think you must be a dyslexic, agnostic insomniac that stays up all night wondering if there is a dog? or is that me?

My favorite cartoon is dennis the menance sitting on the couch talking to his dog saying " Hey Ruff look at that dumb guy on TV talking to his horse"

Well I just got home the keyboard is looking kinda fuzzy off to bed before I pass out. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: michael&jules Re: diving? - 01/28/06 03:33 PM
clover, i am just sitting back and taking in all this entertainment.

i have noticed everyone has an opinion, some have attitudes, some have little experience, some have a great deal of experience, so called experts. But the bottom line, while on AC, it is hard to go wrong with any hotel, resort, restaurant, beach, pier, bridges, depth of water, cell phones, dive shop, bar, dance club, golf cart, excursion, drink, cigar, sunrise, sunset, grocery store, local, etc....now i am sure everyone will post everything i did mention.....

We have no expectations and are just ready to enjoy the atmosphere, the island, the locals and the new friends we meet.

I have to admit, I am becoming addicted to this message board, the hours of entertainment and laughs are priceless. Just hesitant to post anything until we experience AC and all of you that use this board first hand.

Do any of you have pictures you can post, so we know who we are looking for at the bars? Or avoid! just kidding.

Looking forward to meeting all of you that will be in AC the week of 2/20 thru 2/27. Our flight arrives in AC around 2:00PM and will be at Crazy Canucks ASAP.

I appreciate everyone's posts, pictures and feedback. No matter what, this is going to be an experience of a lifetime. Wishing everyone a great weekend!
Michael
Posted By: michael&jules Re: diving? - 01/28/06 03:36 PM
....now i am sure everyone will post everything i did mention.....

should be did NOT mention.....
Posted By: clover Re: diving? - 01/28/06 03:40 PM
Originally posted by clover:
Just a guess...but the guy that started this thread hasn't logged back in in 6 days...that being said.....I'll bet he knows more than you think!
LOL! And some he didn't ask for!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board