AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 05:28 PM
Jan 19th: Tom Vidrine reported that the center part of the Boca Del Rio Bridge has arrived today. Both sides of the bridge are nearing completion and it won't be long before the center part is attached and the bridge will be open.

Here's some pics from Harriet...

Jan 19
[Linked Image]

Jan 20
[Linked Image]

Jan 21
[Linked Image]

Jan 22
[Linked Image]

Jan 22
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 05:32 PM
Great shots. Thanks so much for the update. It's progressed a lot further than I thought it would.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 05:39 PM
Looks Great, might be able to walk on, in Feb, middle of month, when I am down there.
Long time , but worth the wait.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 05:43 PM
For kicks, does anyone know how much it will carry, or being built to carry, engineering specs on weight limitations, not limits put on by city council.
Posted By: IRM Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 06:03 PM
Who's gonna be first to dive off?
Posted By: streetchie Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 06:39 PM
...and doesn't the 'ol Hammock House look pathetic in the background. Ohhhh bother...
Posted By: captjeff Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 06:58 PM
Wait just a minute where are the train tracks????? and the station ?????
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 07:07 PM
I will dive off for the grand opening IRM if no other volunteers.

Harriet, thank you so much for the pics. I keep pics in my journal for memories of changes in AC while living here and greatly appreciate these.
Posted By: Gela Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 08:08 PM
I'm so amazed that the bridge is actually being built. It's been the topic of discussion for as long as I have been visiting AC. Good or bad, it is progress. I can see me bicycling to the Palapa Bar laugh

Now what about the move of the Barge? eek
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 08:28 PM
Good question Corona Steve and great answer Casa Caracol!!!
Posted By: casa de amor Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 09:06 PM
if someone would fly me down there i would jump off the bridge
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 09:31 PM
I might have to do it, come Feb, when I arrive.
After all, I have been talking it up myself, and taken a lot of heat, for some time, on this subject.

Keep in mind, we have a new bridge to fight for in the North, and a Corona Freeway conecting, the new Bridge to Flying Bridge on the Border.
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 09:39 PM
I'll hold your hat...and belikin...well, just your belikin...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 09:48 PM
Bridge jumping contest. SimonB in his endless and extensive list of wines can donate the champagne for the Christening of the bridge. Pedro1 will provide the pizza. If Barefoot Skinny's around he could do the entertainment. We could get Kristykins cousin for the poster-girl, wow!! Who will do the actual breaking of the bottle???MMMMMMMM don't know.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 09:50 PM
Oh!!Capt.Jeff will be in his fishing boat in the water waiting to reel in the jumpers. YEAH!!!FUN!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 10:05 PM
MichelleWilliams will do the Christening honors as part of her bartender training class for Pedro1.
She'll be ready to "pull that tap" for the spring break crowd.

And Marty will be Master of Ceremonies !! laugh laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 10:36 PM
And me?? I'll be doing aerial photography and videos while trying to miss your sling-shot hits, etc. :p
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 10:52 PM
Did someone visit the starbucks too many times today? :p
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 10:54 PM
Just for fun smile
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 10:56 PM
How many coffees did you have fly? :rolleyes:
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Bridge arrival - 01/23/06 11:18 PM
Its all good fly, your a funny dude, just sounds like your going a hundred miles an hour (Thats funny!). smile
Posted By: Scuba do Re: Bridge arrival - 01/24/06 05:10 AM
Harriette ( correct spelling ),thanks for the update,I have Feb 6 & 7 in the Coco Locos pool,along with a couple later dates
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Bridge arrival - 01/24/06 05:40 AM
ATTENTION ALL JUMPERS: The water is waist deep.
Barefoot Skinny: I humbly request that the sign you had at your "fire escape" tunnel be placed on the bridge. For those of you who never saw it: NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR STUPID PEOPLE.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lacysbeach Re: Bridge arrival - 01/24/06 07:15 AM
So Cool to see the bridge going up!!It even looks like small boats can go re-fuel without problems..I love the fact that there is a bridge, but only as long as the people who live there who cross it,everyday, like it as well and ... will share their voice..
Posted By: Marty Re: Bridge arrival - 01/24/06 07:29 AM
i'll jump for sure. i love leaping to the water taxis when there is a long way to the dock still.

san pedro long jump. with camera bag.

saw one of the ferry boat workers go in just stepping onto the dock one evening. missed the dock. very cold too. man i felt for him. chill.... his boss sterling was in the boat too.
Posted By: Marty Re: Bridge arrival - 01/24/06 07:34 AM
waist deep maybe not good for diving? feet out head on the bottom?

reminds me of out ponds in oklahoma when i was a kid. the water was three feet deep with soft mucky mud on the bottom many feet think. we'd dive in headfirst from way up high, and be stuck headfirst into that soft mud. feet sticking out of the water. we'd pull ourselves out with a nice underwater sucking sound....

the cows thought we were crazy
:>
Posted By: lacysbeach Re: Bridge arrival - 01/24/06 08:19 AM
If you Tipp the cows over and end up in the mud yourself , does that mean your equal?
Posted By: lacysbeach Re: Bridge arrival - 01/24/06 08:21 AM
Too funny Marty, LOVED your kidd/cow story!!
Posted By: Belikin Bill Re: Bridge arrival - 01/24/06 07:31 PM
I am somewhat new to this board and have been to Belize a few times over the past 10 years. I was checking out the bridge threads and found them very entertaining. I really don't have an adgenda or much of an opinion about the bridge although I can't remember anything quite as unique as the pull ferry in my travels.

I was wondering who was the person or persons that really pushed for the bridge over the years and helped it become a reality. Was it Barry Bowen or was he just kind enough to help finance it? It can see the project was approved and going by early Feb. 2005. http://sanpedrosun.net/old/05-053.html

I also see that SIN put his money where his mouth is but no one called him on it.

It appears to follow the some of the 6 phases of a normal project:

1. Enthusiasm
2. Panic
3. Disillusionment
4. Search for the gulity
5. Punishment of the innocent
6. Praise and honors for the non-participants (mostly from themselves)

I can tell the bridge must be about complete because phase 6 is going strong.

Who should really cut the ribbion? And who should jump off the bridge?
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Bridge arrival - 01/24/06 10:17 PM
When are they going to auction off the pull ferry? A part of san pedros history!
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Bridge arrival - 01/24/06 10:30 PM
Yes, Then maybe corona steve can pull people to mexico :rolleyes:
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Bridge arrival - 01/25/06 01:09 AM
Too dark and dreary to take pictures today - besides I didn't have my camera in the underwater housing. However, there are stacks and stacks of metal grids ready to be put down as the deck.
Posted By: Marty Re: Bridge arrival - 01/25/06 05:04 AM
can you draw a picture?
:>
love you scubalady
i tend to put your name in there and then erase to write scubalady
Posted By: lacysbeach Re: Bridge arrival - 01/26/06 06:23 AM
I think I remember someone saying that the only way to commit suicide off the new bridge will be if you jump off and land into excess rebar.. ouch!!
Posted By: Dallas Dave Re: Bridge arrival - 01/26/06 07:03 AM
You could have excess at the bar....Quite common here!
Posted By: lacysbeach Re: Bridge arrival - 01/26/06 07:15 AM
Hot Danm Dallas!! They must of said that!!Excess at THE BAR, not excess rebar!I only thought someone was jumping off the bridge...In to mud?Marty?
Posted By: justwishin Re: Bridge arrival - 01/29/06 07:44 PM
I just joined this board today since my twice yearly trips to AC are expanding to more like three or four times a year. I will be arriving March 1st for about two weeks this trip.

The biggest curiosity I had was the bridge (last visit was november) and right here on this forum I found the best update ever!..

Thanks for posting the pictures and for all your fun comments.
Posted By: lacysbeach Re: Bridge arrival - 02/01/06 06:43 AM
I hope that this message board can answer your questions, thats why were here, right!! The bridge is a bittersweet thing, no more old San Pedro pulling us across VS new bridge ...thats all..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bridge arrival - 02/01/06 06:54 AM
YEAH!!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh :p
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Bridge arrival - 02/01/06 02:07 PM
fly-boy, I second that, plan on using it end of Feb.
Will let you know dates soon.
Going on cruise also, this next week. Will fly from BC to AC, then by boat to Property with 18 other guest. Will see and travel under it next Thursday.
Good new business could come out of this.
Someone could buy Ferry, and those who still want to use it, or experience the trip, can still do so, including those who fought against it.
I think, most will be happy about the bridge and convenience of it. Hurrah
Posted By: Belikin Bill Re: Bridge arrival - 02/01/06 04:15 PM
SSDD smile
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Bridge arrival - 02/01/06 10:04 PM
yep!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board