AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town

Posted By: JDTremblay

Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 01:55 PM

My Wife and I have never been to San Pedro Town. We are by no means rich but we love how the iland looks. I was looking at staying at Ramons Village in a garden villa untill I saw a post about how bad this person thought it was. Now I am looking for the NO BULL story on where to stay.
Posted By: pfarrell

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 02:07 PM

You'll get may different opinions on this question. All depends on what you're looking for in your vacation.

Suggest you do use the search feature to check out some of the following: Bananna Beach, Palms, Mata Rocks, Blue Tang, Sunbreeze, Banyan Bay, Victoria House. List includes moderate to higher priced places and is by no means exhaustive.

Also take a look at the "lodging" section. Can be broken down by price range.

There's a whole host of questions to consider in visiting the island including (but not limited to)

What type of vacation are you looking for? (ie lounge on the beach, super active, adventure travel, etc)
How much do you want to spend on lodging?
How close to town do you want to stay?
How willing to do most of the research yourself or should you work with a travel agent who specializes in San Pedro / Belize?

Spending a little time thinking about these questions and doing some digging / searching of the bulletin board will help you a lot.

Happy hunting.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 02:25 PM

Thank You pfarrell to answer the questions
1)we are looking for the loung on the beach trip but still want to interact with the locals (I have read how friendly the local people are)
2)we are trying to stay under $2500.00 USD on the trip i.e. airfare and hotel
3)We would like to be close enough to town to enjoy the night life and not have to drive a golf cart drunk in a place i have never been

Thanks J D Tremblay
Posted By: J DOG

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 02:56 PM

JD Take a look at The Blue Tang, located on the north edge of town. I've stayed at 7 or 8 different places & found it very nice & affordable, they have added a 4th floor deck that has a killer view in any direction.
Room # 6 is our favorite at about $ioo. a nite with a private balcony & full kitchen.
If I stayed south I would stay at Manta Rocks, but it is about 3 miles from town.
Posted By: kris48

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 02:59 PM

Also might want to decide if you want kitchen facilities. Some of the above are hotel rooms only, some have a fairly decent kitchen. It's a great way to save on breakfast and lunch, and to keep some Belikins cold. We have stayed at the Palms and Exotic Caye--both are very nice, good value. If a pool is not necessary try Mayan Princess, and I can't remember the name, but the place next to the Palms.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 03:08 PM

ok totally off subject BEER what is the story on drinking on the island i.e. where to go and what to drink
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 03:36 PM

As far as beer/drinking/bars/nightlife. You should do a search. This question gets answered just about weekly.

I'd go with Maya Princess, Blue Tang or Aqua Marina or my very favorite Sun Breeze.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 03:45 PM

Thanks Ms Queen

How strict are the laws down there on drinking and driving a golf cart ???
Posted By: pfarrell

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 04:00 PM

JD, where you flying in from? Most major US hubs to belize airfare can run anywhere from $300-$600 per person. Obvously, that will limit how much you can spend on lodging.

Add to the list i've already posted, the palms. Never stayed there but they get consistantly high marks from those who did. I walked through their pool area and it was quite nice.

No lack of nightlife options.

Keep asking and many will help narrow down your search.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 04:07 PM

Um... well I once heard someone got ticketed but I personally stay in town and party in town so I don't "drink and drive". You shouldn't have a problem.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 04:08 PM

i found a site and am looking at this place http://latindestinations.bookingpro...List.asp?Itinerary=2443727&Zip=62966 if any one has stayed there please tell me what you thought and how it was
Oh yea we are flying out of St Louis Mo

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 04:14 PM

map of hotels and the town...

//www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/mapdowntowndetail.html

Not to scare you but 40 min in IAH is really cutting it close. I'd carry on and prepare to haul a$$ to the next gate. IAH is a pretty big airport! However, there are two flights to BZE out of IAH, daily.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 04:15 PM

Ok – let’s get honest here! It sounds like you want to come here and get wild and crazy. Therefore, save your money and DO NOT rent a golf cart. Driving drunk is stupid. If you want to hurt yourself find some way to do it without endangering our kids. Stay at Ruby’s – clean – simple – on the beach and close enough to walk to any night spot. AND – all the illegal stuff is close by. But, beware; people are being arrested every now and then.
Heck, if you spend all your money on booze, you can even walk to the airport when it’s time to leave.
Now I’ll take my tongue out of my check.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 04:25 PM

Scubaldy

No we arent comming down to get "wild and crazy" i have just been to some beach communities that if you step out of a bar and get into a vehicle you get a ticket rest assured that we are very responsible drinkers and would never do anything to risk hurting anyone. There is a differance in having a few drinks and driving and getting smashed and driving

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 04:27 PM

Not to worry JD, your posts don't read as "wild and crazy", just inquisitive. It's all good. laugh

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 04:37 PM

thanks she scared the crap outa me there for a second i have read how nice the locals are is that true or is it just because you are a paying tourist so to speak i hope its the first because on a trip meeting new local people is fun too
Posted By: cakelee

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 04:42 PM

Looks like a pretty good price overall, especially since it includes the flight to AC. Don't know if flying out during the week is an option, but it might save you a couple hundred $s. Listen to TQ about flying out of Houston - pack light and carry it all on.
Posted By: spl

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 04:42 PM

some people are expats, or Americans that just go there to live, not locals.

The locals are so friendly. The friendliest people you will ever meet.

You will love paradise! You will get bitin' by the BUG! :p

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 04:50 PM

Oh i have already been bitten by the SP bug and i plan on only bringing a carry on ( former Army man here ) I can pack light and move fast hooah

I am so looking forward to meeting the people of the island it just looks so very laid back of all the pictures i have seen i have yet to see a watch or a clock
Posted By: atomicindy

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 05:45 PM

If you want to spend around $100, Sunbreeze or Mayan Princess are very nice. At the Mayan Pricess, all rooms have ocean front porches or balacnies.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 05:48 PM

I agree with atom, and at Sun Breeze, there's a nice pool near the bar and the bar in a fantastic restaurant, Blue Water Grill.

Affordable places, close to everything.
Posted By: SeaDreams

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 05:58 PM

I know ScubaLdy was tongue in cheek, but...

"Ruby’s – clean – simple – on the beach and close enough to walk to any night spot. AND – all the illegal stuff is close by."

We made our first trip late October 2005 and are now planning on returning late spring of this year. (Yep - got bitten!) We were considering Rubys this time (did Banana Beach last time) to save a bit of money (more diving & snorkeling that way!) Have always heard good things about it.

Is it truly an issue with the "illegal stuff" near Rubys? Use? Pressure to buy? Or not any issue at all? We got hit up a couple times last year, but you just say not interested and no problem.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 06:04 PM

I know ScubaLdy was tongue in cheek, but...
"Ruby’s – clean – simple – on the beach and close enough to walk to any night spot. AND – all the illegal stuff is close by." Ya, what???

NO, there is NO issue with "illegal stuff" near Ruby's. Sometimes there are locals that hang out right in front, late night, or all night, but so what.

Ruby's is awesome if you're looking for just a place to sleep - nothing more. Ruby's breakfast is muy bueno!!

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 06:08 PM

Thanks Travelqueen - that's the impression we've gotten from all the board comments we've read... that Ruby's is great for a place to lay your head at night. We plan on being out and about most of the time, so something as fancy as BB isn't such a requirement now that we're a bit more familiar with San Pedro.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 06:09 PM

I'm sitting writing in Corona del Mar, 3/4 mile south of town, a smallish friendly family run hotel with a very loyal following. I'm using their free wireless service, and the guests I'm talking to as I write are on their fourth visit.

If you're looking for quality and value and don't mind being a bit further out, Banana Beach is hard to beat. And if you want to be in town, check out Spindrift.

San Pedro has quite a few affordable hotels as well as expensive ones - spend some time in the accommodation area of this site.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 06:10 PM

so far i am liking the looks of mata rocks but i still like the input we like a little nicer place than rubys

whatys going on down there around the 20th of may anyone know anything and when is lobster season start

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 06:12 PM

The accommodation area here is GREAT! We've looked at every single site listed there - wanted to get a real feel for what's available, pricing, etc. We're looking at doing a lower cost lodging this time, and thinking that maybe next trip we'll treat ourselves and go more upscale. Maybe bring a few newbies with us and share a larger place with 2-3 bedrooms, full kitchen, etc.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 06:13 PM

A little nicer than Ruby's? Then yes, I agree 100% with Pedro2, Spindrifts - for sure!

Lobster season is about to end - sorry!
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 06:16 PM

Lobster season starts again on June 15th.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 06:41 PM

looks like we are comming down in may @ 19th
looks like the mata rocks wins thanks for all the help
lobster will be on another trip
i am sure we will find something to do

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 06:44 PM

Good deal! You will have a blast!!!!

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 06:59 PM

thanks for the help all of you are so very nice in helping us i hope we can run into some of you down there
Posted By: mimi

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 07:22 PM

JD

Ramon's is not bad, but I think it's a little overpriced. Personally, I love The Palms condos, right next to Ramon's, as they are very close to town, on one of the better beaches, have a pool and wonderful staff. Really though, there are so many great places to stay...it's just a matter of opinion.
San Pedro is this sweet, laid-back little town where the people are so friendly...you're gonna love it.

Mimi

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/23/06 07:32 PM

if this message board reflects the attitude of the people on that island i am sure we are going to meet some unforgetable people. I have never been anywhere on the net that the people are more helpful and want to give you information this community is a great asset to the island.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/24/06 12:59 AM

thanks jd. love to hear that!
Posted By: Marty

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/24/06 01:01 AM

and anyone that writes off ramons is making a mistake. no place is perfect for everyone, but ramons is lovely, has awesome rooms, gantastic beach and pool. lotsa folks that stay elsewhere lust for their beach and pool.

i personally have had a fantastic time at ramons many many times.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/24/06 01:05 AM

Right Marty and Hey, if we all had the same taste, Banana Beach would be 3500 rooms, 100% occupied! laugh
Posted By: Belikin Bill

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/24/06 02:13 AM

JD If you can handle being a 20 minute walk to town Mata Rocks is my favorite with Banana Beach next door a close 2nd. Both nice values where I think you can stay for around $100 a night. At Mata Rocks you will get a nice clean small room with fridge and microwave and an ocean view. I like it because of the pool, beach and bar. All very close to the ocean. Juice, fruit and rolls for breakfast and free bikes.

BB has bigger better furnished rooms with a great full breakfast included. Two pools and a good indoor bar plus a great restaurant and a good beach area. Both resorts are well managed with good security. If you are going into town to party take a taxi both ways or walk in taxi back. If walking along the beach it might take you a while to get there with all the bars along the way.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/24/06 01:06 PM

well after looking at the value i think we might be going with BB

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/24/06 01:10 PM

just to get this clear there is a bar in BB and can you go to the other resort bars as well

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/24/06 02:29 PM

GREAT bar at BB - and ya can drink at the bars everywhere else - matter of fact, think of it as your duty as a tourist! laugh
Posted By: mimi

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/24/06 02:42 PM

Sigh...the bar crawl down south...sigh.

So much fun, so many memories...that I don't remember. But there are always pictures that show up later.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/24/06 03:01 PM

I am so ready to go it is unreal

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/24/06 03:02 PM

yep, had that feeling many times. smile
Posted By: J DOG

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/28/06 03:42 PM

JD Manta Rocks is a very good pick, they have a great beach bar in The Squirrels Nest.

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 02/28/06 03:57 PM

We are staying next door a BB who is going to be there in may 21 to 28 i would like to meet some of the folks who have helped us so much
Posted By: snorkelgirl

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 03/01/06 02:18 AM

The BB bartenders make a fine Banana Colada, yummy!!

Re: Where is a good medium priced Place to stay in San Pedro Town - 03/01/06 02:27 AM

best rum punch on the island IMHO (and I've tried lots laugh )
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board