where can you get them
which resturants carry them
and are they very expensive there
Posted By: clover

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/02/06 07:19 PM

Carumba's
Posted By: J DOG

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/02/06 07:22 PM

Had them at Capricorn & yes they are Expensive.
Avg. bill at Capricorn for 2 is about $150.us. with drinks & appetizers & desert.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/02/06 09:02 PM

I have had them in sanpedro ,a few times.but better in florida??,at joes stone crabs,or don shula's ..Seems to me the prices$$$ and quality and preparation are missing something ???? here ..To much work for not alot of crab meat... In other words the juice is not worth the squeeze , but do eat all the other delicious seafood that the island has to offer..all just yummy and fresh ..Again just my gringo opinion ..
Posted By: Island Iguana

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 12:13 AM

Best Stone Crab claws I ever had were bought from the fishermans co-op on Pine Island, Florida. Much cheaper than SP but still not inexpensive, a real delicacy.

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 12:43 AM

I ate them at Carumba's in early December....well under $150 US per couple....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 12:47 AM

Clover - you are a man in the know! crab cakes anywhere on the island?

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 12:53 AM

That's easy.......I was amazed to find Stone Crab claws on middle street in San Pedro......and they were good!
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 12:54 AM

Where?

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 12:56 AM

Caliente's as of Feb 14th....the owner of Oregano's was with us and had them.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 12:57 AM

smile Thanks

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 01:01 AM

okay on the crab claws - I'm askin bout crab cakes ??

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 01:05 AM

Caliente's had crab cakes on Feb 14th.....the only problem with SP is that on Feb 26th there was a snapper shortage and a lime shortage on the island....so using the phone pays off! Carumba's had Stone Crab...which means they could probably make crab cakes too....but I didn't look that close to the menu (lazy or 1 barrel) so back to the phone...........you'd think that if Blue Water grill could turn out the best filet mignon on the island they would also have crab cakes........but the best bet is.......back to the telephone!

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 01:11 AM

thanks!

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 01:14 AM

Joyce says Oregano's had crab cakes on the menu on Feb 26th........go figure.....I can't even remember what I ate!

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 01:43 AM

Definitely 1 barrel :p
Posted By: Kelly 1

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 02:45 AM

"you'd think that if Blue Water grill could turn out the best filet mignon on the island they would also have crab cakes"

clover, thanks for the compliment on the filet mignon, and we now have crab cakes as an appetizer on our dinner menu.

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 04:17 AM

Bless you........
Posted By: windyw

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 02:44 PM

Crab cakes?? Casa Picasso of course. They are awesome. Was there in February andthe crab cakes were wonderful as was everything we ordered.

Do they have crab cakes at Jerry's Crab Shack? Never been there, across the street from Ramon's.
Just wondered!! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Bzedoll

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/03/06 07:01 PM

I buy crab claws from the co-op in Caye Caulker. Why go to a restaurant when all you have to do is steam them and eat with garlic butter...mmmm. I hate the mess after ward but it is always worth it.
Posted By: JDTremblay

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/04/06 01:09 PM

Does anyone know what market price is at the co-op for claws i would prefer to make them myself
P.S. thanks bzedoll
Posted By: Seachange

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/04/06 03:00 PM

Hey Capt. Jeff--Thanks for reminding me of Joes Stone Crab...YuMMMMMMMMMM
Posted By: lacysisland

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/07/06 09:53 AM

Save a crab?!! Just wack off his claw!!

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/11/06 01:08 PM

Growing up on the coast, we would just pull off one claw, the bigger one, and let it go..The next year, there where plenty of crabs not many missing limbs..

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/11/06 01:13 PM

Not to say mama did not have that big pot boiling with seasonings just to soak the crabs and shrimp for dinner, yummy! All the fixins too.
Posted By: phillytodd

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/15/06 06:59 PM

I had stone crab claws 4 or 5 times on my last visit this past jan... not overly expensive considering how many were in a serving... I remember I ate them at the banyon tree and the serving included about 6 or 8 of them for about 35 or 40 bze...

I still think the best way to eat them is to pull off the claw yourself ( just one though), then boil it up with garlic and butter and a nice cold beer. .

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/15/06 07:31 PM

Can some one find out the market price at the co-op in cay caulker
Posted By: Marty

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/16/06 10:09 PM

Wendy called them to check, and its $16BZ per lb of claws. (thanks Wendy! http://www.auxilloubeachsuites.com )
Posted By: Marty

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/17/06 09:19 AM

elvis makes a very yummy stone crab too

Re: Stone Crab claws - 03/17/06 01:15 PM

Thanks Wendy and Marty I will try them in the resturants but there is nothing better than boiling them yourself ( as I am from Fla i am no stranger to claws ) I guess that you take the water taxie to CC and can pick them up at the co-op ???? or do you have to be a resturant to buy from them ?????
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board