AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: scubawalk How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/11/06 10:19 PM
I just got charged $1 BZ to cross the new bridge on my bike. I thought bikes and pedestrians were free and you only had to pay for golfcarts. The toll taker told me I couldn't cross without paying.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/11/06 10:24 PM
it has never been free, was always $1 BZ to cross even before. $0.50 is a bargain. They need to collect for any upkeep and the toll takers pay!
Posted By: mikeh375 Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/11/06 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Kra-Z-K:
it has never been free, was always $1 BZ to cross even before. $0.50 is a bargain. They need to collect for any upkeep and the toll takers pay!
I guess I could swim across for free. laugh
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/11/06 10:28 PM
lol, why swim. wink $0.50 is so cheap you should pay them.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/11/06 10:31 PM
The pull ferry charged SOME bicycles and some pedestrians $1.00. It has been widely publicized that ONLY golf carts would be charged for crossing the bridge. I think you need to put in a call to the Mayoress' office - Monday - they are partying tonight.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/11/06 10:35 PM
oh yeah! THE PARTY! $1 beers tonight! got to stock up!
Posted By: mikeh375 Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/11/06 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Kra-Z-K:
lol, why swim. wink $0.50 is so cheap you should pay them.
After my wife gets done shopping, I hope I've still got 50 cents to pay the toll. I suppose the question should be, if she doesn't have 50 cents left after shopping, will she have to swim? laugh laugh
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/11/06 10:40 PM
huh. perhaps if your wife can not save $0.50 the man should do the shopping...in fact, do the laundry and dishes while your at it, lol!!!
Posted By: mikeh375 Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/11/06 10:46 PM
Then, perhaps I should charge her for my "services". Not bragging, just stating the facts. laugh laugh laugh lol!!! Oh fyi, I do pick up my things, do the wash occassionally, do my own dishes, and I cook. Which ever one of us gets home from work first, cooks dinner. It's worked for us for 31 years.
Posted By: scubawalk Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/11/06 10:50 PM
Kra-Z-K,

I think the point is - they are charging Gringo's and not anybody who "looks" Belizean. We live here and doing volunteer work so every dollar counts.
Posted By: casa de amor Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/11/06 11:51 PM
yep the locals(sanpedranos) get deals that us gringos can't match, i have seen it numerous times, even at the grocery stores and other places like that, and i guess they really should get deals i mean its there island,
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/12/06 12:00 AM
nope my friend who is local got charged yesterday, not the case. Casa, san pedrano or gringo they do give deals to both if you actually live here. Same as many places, the last place in the states I lived too.
Posted By: JeanH Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/12/06 03:27 AM
I read in the San Pedro paper last week that only golf carts would be charged, bikes and walkers were free. However, my husband and I were charged $1.00. In fact, they actually asked to see our receipts when we were coming back to town. I never had that happen on the ferry. I don't mind paying the toll if the money is going where it's supposed to and not somebody's pocket.
Posted By: DJH Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/12/06 10:45 AM
I also read in the paper that it is free for everyone except gulf cart. It didn't say anything about gringos or locals just gulf carts. We went to the bridge our last day there (Sunday) and walked to the other side and back. Nobody charged us. We didn't even see anyone whe would charge the gulf carts. Maybe Sundays are free. Not.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/12/06 07:19 PM
Somebody made a mistake in the paper. There has always been a $1 per pedestrian or bike charge - it just isn't strictly enforced. Typically the school kids that live on the north side of the river and labourers that live in town and cross each day to work are not charged - as a courtesy to them. You will find in a lot a cases that the construction companies that have the jobs up the coast pay a certain monthly fee to the town board to let their workers back and forth at a very reduced rate.

Most gringos that live on the north side buy a monthly $100 pass for unlimited crossings.

I am sure that if you are a volunteer, you could talk to the mayor about getting special dispensation.

Hey, we have to pay for the bridge, it wasn't a gift, it was a loan. So some of us have to pay for it. It makes sense that the folks that use the bridge should pay for it. Hence the toll. Seems fairly simple to me. If you choose to live on the north side of the river and you would like to cross over to town via the bridge, pay the price. Life isn't always what we percieve of as fair.

What did you say bobber? - get over it!

This is the price of convenience and progress.
Posted By: scubawalk Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/12/06 08:50 PM
I agree with you Amanda. It wasn't the money that was the issue, it was the inconsistency. It makes more sense if the paper was wrong about the tolls.
Posted By: JeanH Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/12/06 09:51 PM
I certainly don't object to paying the toll either. I was just surprised after what I read in the paper. You would think I would have learned not to believe everything that I read....
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/12/06 11:33 PM
Amanda, I bought a monthly pass when we were there for the month of May and was charged $150 BZ..........what's the $100 you posted?
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/13/06 01:53 AM
I might be behind the times. I don't live up north and usually travel by boat. I remember my friends had talked about a $100 pass - it would make sense to me that the rate has increased to $150 over the years. Thanks for the update Loansum/
Posted By: justwishin Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 02:55 AM
My husband was charged $2,00 Belize RP on his bike but who cares! There is a bridge!!!!
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 02:09 PM
As for inconsistancy, well, have $1 BZ ready in your pocket and if you don't get charged it'll be a blessing.

I mean, c'mon, didn't the coke machine ever drop you an extra?

Bring $35 exit tax, too, but I didn't get asked for it...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 02:30 PM
I think most airlines are building the exit tax into their ticket prices now. But last weekend I got charged some type of inspection fee - I don't recall exactly but it was around $2.50bz. Anyone else seen this?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 02:58 PM
I didn't check luggage, had one carry-on so sounds like the fee must be per bag whether you check or not.

Good morning Clover!
12% interest needs to be paid by someone.

I am really glad to see the local workers and students are not required to pay the .50 toll twice a day. They earn so little, every cent counts towards their family budget.

The nice thing about tolls is, they can always go up, providing a small contribution to SP's economy which we all love so much!

SIN
Posted By: ckocian Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 03:27 PM
They must be doing a bit of "profiling." We got to go directly to the luggage check in por nada. We're old laugh
Posted By: clover Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 03:38 PM
Senior discount?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 04:14 PM
Clover - that was just mean laugh Besides, we're not that far off - AARP is already sending me stuff :rolleyes:
I'd love to think it was profiling - almost as good as getting carded at my age wink
Posted By: clover Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 04:26 PM
I'll take all the breaks I can get! I tip heavily when I'm carded!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 05:35 PM
The exit tax is a joke.....what is really ironic is that they will not take Belize $, only US $, then in the very next breath, they offer to buy back any of your left over Belize $.......never could figure that one!
Posted By: Barbara K Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 07:20 PM
The departure tax thing has been very inconsistent lately. Best to have the $35 US on you just in case. I have had clients who definitely paid the tax in their ticket price but were still asked for it and not allowed to board the plane until they did. I have since been able to get them a refund but it was a major hassle and they had to have the $$ on them to leave (or get a cash advance at the airport bank!)
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 07:31 PM
SIN
if the workers earn so little, why are construction costs so high?
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 07:54 PM
How can you tell if the exit tax is included in the ticket price(Continental). It's not listed anywhere.
I think the construction costs should be higher to keep growth at a more controlable rate. This would allow more of the costs to be directly allocated to higher wages than funding imported consturction supplies. Higher wages, higher costs, higher prices, higher commissions, less development.

We only have 26 miles of this sand bar and most of it has/is being developed.

SIN
Posted By: clover Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/20/06 09:30 PM
Jeez SIN.....we all know the local workers make squat.......and the construction costs are identical to those costs in California....and California construction workers make 10 times more than Belize construction workers......so it looks like the developers are makin the money.............or they wouldn't do it....kinda like good ole American Capitalism.
Good assumption Clover! The secret is out, the developers, as you say, do it, to make money.

After assisting in the development of a few projects here in Belize, the profits may not be as large as many may perceive.

It costs about the same amount of money to ship materials/supplies from the Port of Belize to San Pedro as it does from Port Everglades to the Port of Belize. Then of course the GOB import tariffs, everyone's favorite on top of the LANDED cost (not FOB).

Then throw in the constant variables (great phrase) of running out of raw materials, back-ups at the port, transportation, weather, etc. There is no Home Depot here.

Just a little clarification on your broad generalization.

Our neighbors here may only make squat (in your eyes), but they make it go a long way here in Paradise (happy people), so give em' a break on the bridge and get em' a cold one when you do run into them.

SIN
Posted By: klcman Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/23/06 11:59 PM
snorkelgirl - CO does chg tax in your ticket - I believe it's coded as (don't laugh) SX----- or something very close to that - don't have an e-ticket to check right now.

the fee breakdown they recently provided me was this:
U.S. Security Service Fee: 7.50, Belize Airport Development Fee: 15.00, Belize Conservation Tax: 3.75, Belize Passenger Service Charge: 15.00, Belize Security Tax: 1.25
Posted By: Barbara K Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/24/06 06:18 PM
The Belize departure tax codes are FU, FV, FW & BU
Posted By: seashell Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/24/06 06:41 PM
FU??

ahahahahha
Posted By: RMT Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/24/06 06:44 PM
You're evil SS laugh
Posted By: Barbara K Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/24/06 07:32 PM
funny but true! The FU tax - that about says it all!!!
Posted By: klcman Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/24/06 07:43 PM
yah that was it - I knew it had SOME innuendo attached to it...thx B!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/24/06 08:59 PM
Geez K - funny you should get those two confused! wink
Posted By: klcman Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/24/06 10:11 PM
not really wink
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/27/06 05:41 PM
Walked and drove over bridge,this last weekend, thanks to those who were responsible for this great feat.
Crossed over after 10 PM, was supposed to be free, had to pay 5 BZ, looked like a local taking advantage of the gringos.
O Well, was nice to see bridge working.
Never saw or heard of one bad word of bridge, only nostaliga, and rememberance of past, but love bridge.
Improve the road North, and we are on our way to people traveling to those great restraunts up north.
Will try and do my part, and will help, when it gets close to my property, dollar wise. Will do what ever it takes, now, including money support, now.
Posted By: JDTremblay Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/27/06 06:03 PM
So only gringos get charged to walk or bike across the bridge as well as cart across the bridge This doesnt sound good i dont mind paying the toll to drive across the bridge but if they just make up the ammount as they go that bothers me SOME ONE please shed some light on this what is the real story i have heard so many i am confused
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/27/06 06:20 PM
After 8:00 PM, I understand that the $$ collected goes into the guys pocket. It doesn't go towards the bridge/expenses. Is that true? The last time we used the bridge after 8, we were not charged. Jules told us that it was not legal for them to charge us after 8. So, is it or isn't it legal?
Posted By: JDTremblay Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/27/06 07:04 PM
that is what i am talking about i want to know the real story
Here's the story directly from the San Pedro Town Council Administrator: When the bridge first opened the toll collector was on duty 24 hours a day but that was too expensive so the hours have been reduced. The tolls are charged from 6AM to 10PM, 7 days a week. There are NO CHARGES after 10PM. If anyone is charged after 10PM they should report that to the SPTC office.
Charges are: Carts BZ$5 each way. Bikes BZ$1 each way. You MUST get a ticket when paying. A sign with fees and rules will be posted soon.
Posted By: JDTremblay Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/27/06 07:55 PM
Thank You SPD Very much for the real story
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/27/06 08:11 PM
A sign, well, that should put the crooks out of business.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/27/06 09:02 PM
Soon? How soon? Oh, VERY soon!
Funny thing - now that elections are over the rules change? It was well documented that bicycles and pedestrians would NOT pay.
We'll see what the sign says.
Will it tell pedestrians to walk on the sides?
Will it be in Spanish as well as English?
Will it really matter?
Will Corona Steve pay double?
Tune in tomorrow. :p
Stop by the SPTC offices and see the sign. It's waiting for the contractor to remove the old booth as promised, then it'll be installed.
Workers on bikes do not pay.
Pedestrians do not pay.
English is the official language of Belize.
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/27/06 09:12 PM
LOL Scubaldy. Is the fare still $5 BZ after 8 pm instead of $10BZ? Interesting how things change. The "tolltroll" who collects after 8 never gives receipts. Is he suposed to? confused
Sounds like you're being victimized by afterhours scammers. DO NOT PAY AFTER 10PM! INSIST ON A RECEIPT! REPORT SCAMMERS TO SPTC.
Posted By: Short Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/27/06 10:32 PM
San Pedro Daily, please don't say that; you're ruining my business.
Do you pay first than report them to the town board in the morning confused OR just run the F@#ker over and motor on? smile
Posted By: spl Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/27/06 10:55 PM
ah! your funny 2mile! I needed a good laugh just before my nap!!!
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/28/06 12:50 AM
Good one, 2Miles. Belive me, I did think about it!! laugh
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/28/06 03:55 AM
If someone insists that you pay, and you think you should not have to TAKE A PICTURE OF THE jerk. The camera is a mighty wheapon! :p
Yea scuba, Take photo,THEN RUN THEM OVER!!!(LEFT OUT "F" WORD) eek Then motor on!! smile
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: How much to cross the new bridge? - 03/28/06 09:43 PM
Yes - I edited my comment - no need to get more people mad at me!
SCUBA,I was refering to ME leaving out the "f" word confused
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board