AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Construction Cost on AC

Posted By: Corona Steve

Construction Cost on AC - 03/20/06 08:15 PM

This question came up by Gay & David, thought it would be a good subject to entertain, and learn something.
Lets hear from those who know, go at it.
Thanks,
Posted By: reaper

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/20/06 08:57 PM

San Pedro is the only place you can build a $400,000 for...
Posted By: SFJeff

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/20/06 09:59 PM

...safe to say it will cost more than you plan for, take longer than even your most conservative estimate, and present more challenges than the most creative imagination could anticipate. On the positive side, seeing a project come to fruition is incredibly rewarding. One thing is for sure if you are planning on building here: plan on being here for ALL (if possible) or MOST all of the construction process.

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/20/06 10:05 PM

Also, is there a crew, that is reasonable to clear land up north, Habaneros area.
Heard the mininites do a good job, and reasonable, Info would really help, as I would try and talk to them Wed 22nd when I am down there.
Otherwise will come back, and get a list, and talk to them on next trip.
Thanks for all help.
Posted By: Belikin Bill

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/20/06 11:01 PM

I heard chaining works well and I bet the Mennonites do a great job.
Posted By: reaper

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/20/06 11:33 PM

...$800,000!
Posted By: Richard Chambers

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/21/06 04:00 AM

One bag of concrete at a time, my observation over a few years! eek
Posted By: Windjammer

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/21/06 04:01 AM

reaper BZ OR US???
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/21/06 12:44 PM

Corona Steve, the Mennonites mainly clear by slashing and burning. If you have any trees that you wish to save - this would not be the route to go. Casey Moore of Island Consructions or Alvaro Guerrero of the Essene Way may be able to help you out. They have heavy machinery and will bulldoze most of the area, but they will save whatever trees or landmarks you request.

The other method is hand clearing, it takes longer and the crew needs supervision to save your trees.

Whichever method you choose, it is not inexpensive. Unless you are planning to either build or landscape you may want to reconsider clearing you land at this moment. Within 18 months, if you do nothing to the land, it will be overgrown again.

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/21/06 12:47 PM

In answer to the construction cost question. Depends on where you build, the method of construction, the quality of the finish work, etc.

Rule of thumb, concrete construction, glass windows, mahogany doors and trim - $80 US per sq ft in town, $100 - 120 US out of town if you hire a general to handle all aspects of the job.

Wood could be a little less costly, easier to work with, faster construction - but durability could come into question during storm season and the insurance companies may choose not to offer coverage.
Posted By: San Pedro Daily

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/21/06 03:45 PM

We have some fine Belizean builders here...licensed, professional, responsible and honest. We also have some others. Choose carefully.

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/21/06 03:51 PM

Any word or references for Mayan Construction.

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/21/06 06:01 PM

Armando Graniel - excellent builder

Daniel Camal - excellent builder * built my home - on time and on budget - 8 months for 4,000 sq ft 2 storey house approx. $80 US per sq ft.

Medina's contruction - excellent builders.

As with everything in life - you do get what you pay for. If you shop around for the great deals you will have to spend a lot more "hands on" to ensure the job is going to specs.

Others to consider, Luis Cabral, Oscar Rivera, Jim Hanna * built a large addition on one house for me and recently completed my pool deck and cabana. Approx $80 US sq ft about 2 months. On time on budget.

Most of the good builders will be busy and you might have to wait a little while (a few months) before they can get to starting your job.

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/27/06 05:47 PM

No more info from this topic, how come.
No more interest, quite surprised.
Time to wake it up again.
Posted By: caribe

Re: Construction Cost on AC - 03/30/06 05:43 PM

When he was building Brightwaters, Orlando Garrido of Mayan Construction offered a reasonable price to re-clear our lot in Habanerous. It had been cleared a few years ago, but it had pretty thick ground cover.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board