AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Whats wrong with tipping?

Posted By: JZB

Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 04:44 PM

I'm not talking cows here. How many people out there actually tip the maid when they travel? (Whether staying in a hotel or vacation rental with maid service 6 days a week.) I thought it was normal to tip? Am I wrong?
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 04:49 PM

We always do.
Posted By: JDTremblay

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 04:51 PM

even in the states we always leave a tip for the cleaning lady
Posted By: Tillie

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 04:52 PM

We don't tip at nice hotels or resorts but we definitely do at places like Belize and Mexico.
Posted By: atomicindy

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 04:54 PM

Just make sure the tip is not already included in the rate. It is nice to tip but no reason to do it twice.
Posted By: mobunny

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 04:59 PM

We always tip the maid in SP. And a decent amount too especially when they do the dishes for you and have to clean up all the sand off the floor everyday. mobunny
Posted By: windyw

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 05:00 PM

We always tip. The ladies where we stay take very good care of us. And we show our appreciation!!! smile smile
Posted By: klcman

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 05:04 PM

ALWAYS & everywhere! - I don't even care if it is "built" into the rate. (not trying to get another min-discussion started here) All too often the $ is split among all staff. I wanna be sure the person(s) that I want to be taken care of are. Doesn't hurt to let your maid know that in advance as well wink
Posted By: deacon+

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 05:08 PM

What is the standard tip each day?
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 05:58 PM

At Pedro's one shot of Jagermeister per customer in the bar
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 06:05 PM

Damn Pedro, You even tip your customers? No wonder you have one of the best bars in SP !
Posted By: kris48

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 06:07 PM

We usually leave the maid $2 US/day, then at the end of the time $20 bze, plus all the change we don't want to lug home. At the Palms, the tip is included, but it does get shared. I honestly feel bad when they wash the dishes, but also enjoy not having to do them. I know the tips are appreciated.
Posted By: JDTremblay

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 06:10 PM

we planned on tipping at the end of the trip in one lump sum to me it seems to be better to leave a solid $20 than a long line of $1's but that is just me
Posted By: deacon+

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 06:11 PM

Pedro, keep one cold for me. laugh cool
Posted By: Bobber

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 06:13 PM

Our last trip down we stayed at the Palms. the first day we left $5 bz on the kitchen counter when we left in the morning. Still there when we came back, and the room had been cleaned. The next morning we left a note with $10 bz on the counter. The note thanking the maid for the job she was doing and specifying that the money was for her. When we returned that day, the money was gone and there was a sweet note from the maid thanking us, and every day thereafter there would be a note wishing us a pleasant day and a flower. So small a cost, so nice a reward.
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 06:14 PM

Tip BIG and OFTEN!
Posted By: Bobber

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 06:15 PM

JD, he who tips daily never runs out of toilet paper.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 06:15 PM

JD - If you are going tip at the end, and certainly nothing wrong with it at all, just be sure to advise yor maind accordinglyy - else she'll think you are an a**

(edit) hahahah Bobber , we posted simultaneously. And my ending words really had no relationship yours laugh
Posted By: kelly d

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 06:22 PM

I always tip the maid, regardless of the quality of the hotel/motel/lodge/dungeon. Those ladies (I've never seen a male maid) work their butts off for minimum wage, or close to it.
Having grown up in Hawaii, where the tourism industry supports many families, I tip everyone I think even remotely deserves a tip. When in doubt, a dollar or two to someone who doesn't expect a tip makes ME feel good when I'm on vacation!! Share the joy!
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 06:30 PM

I love big tips!

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 07:22 PM

I'm glad to hear it! I hired a maid to clean my vacation rental and told her she can keep all tips and anything else left behind by my guests. (that wasn't accidentally left behind) So far this YEAR she's made a total of about $3.45BZ. I feel like such an *ss for promising her tips that I'm having to toss her extra cash myself because she does such a good job (including washing, drying and putting away dishes daily). I just want to remind everyone else out there that it is nice to show their appreciation for a job well done. Whether its a maid, your tour guide, bartender, taxi driver, whatever, a couple Belizean bucks probably means a whole lot more to them, than to you.
Posted By: gailtor

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 07:36 PM

Like others have said, firstly if you tip daily, you are ensured the best of services. laugh I leave the tip on the pillow, that way there is no question as to whether it is a tip or not.. It is always gone on returning to the room. Leaving the money on the counter with a note indicating it is a tip also works. Without a note, it will be left there. Tip daily, that way all the maids get their share. While alot of the maids work 7 days a week, there are some who do get real days off and could miss out in the tip (or share of) if it's left at the end of the trip/stay.
kelly d, I too, grew up in a tourist town and know how important the tips are to many of those in the tourism business. Your wages are based on the assumption that you will get tips to top up the wages.. not always the case, as we know.
JZB sorry to hear that your 'guests' are not tipping.. perhaps you might want to put a small reminder in their contract that tipping is not included in the rental fees. Sadly, there are some very selfish small minded individuals out there who only think of themselves. :rolleyes:
Gail
Posted By: papashine

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Tillie:
We don't tip at nice hotels or resorts but we definitely do at places like Belize and Mexico.
does this mean that Belize has no "nice" hotels or resorts?

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 10:42 PM

JZB-pay more money to your staff-dead easy-
Why should people tip-when I worked for a living no-one tipped me for turning up everyday and doing my job-mind you I would certainly have appreciated it-it just never happened
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 11:20 PM

I like big tips.

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 11:20 PM

I like any type of tips
Posted By: Beachy

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/14/06 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Pedro1:
JZB-pay more money to your staff-dead easy-
Why should people tip-when I worked for a living no-one tipped me for turning up everyday and doing my job-mind you I would certainly have appreciated it-it just never happened

Here's a good story for you.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20...treatawaitercanpredictalotaboutcharacter
Peter: Sorry I was off last night, but i hear you were too :rolleyes:
Posted By: LBI Jerseyboy

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/15/06 12:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by travelqueen:
Tip BIG and OFTEN! [/QUOte
I agree, especially to you! served any cappacino's lately TQ? LOl eek

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/15/06 02:20 AM

LOL! I don't make drinks anymore, just drink them (and am nice to ANYONE serving them). Speaking of, I'm outta here. Y'all have a nice night!

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/15/06 02:20 AM

SIN, do you like BIG tips?
Posted By: collyk

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/15/06 05:35 AM

We tried tipping our maid several times but she was a strong one and just kept getting back up..har har..sorry..it's too early here to make sense.

We always tip as generously as we can afford. Both of us have had to work in the service industry when we were young and know how hard it is to get by without good tips.
Posted By: lacysisland

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/15/06 08:05 AM

We usually tip after the 2nd day, leave a $20.00 bill to start. We seem to come across this maid at times and they will be happy to see you.We play money games at night and use Belizean coins as play money, this all gets put in the ante for maids. Also, at the ends of trips, we leave purfume, extra munchies,shampoos, make-up, clothes, stuff we'll get the next day, but they might not in a long while. Products given to them means more than ones disgarded as one maid told me one day. Just FYI..
Posted By: Now Danny

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/15/06 09:19 AM

I bring lots of US $2 bills for tips. They seem to go over good. I write on the top " keep this and you will never be broke".
Posted By: seashell

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/15/06 10:37 AM

I agree with gailtor. Whenever I stay in a hotel, I leave a daily tip (usually under the pillow). The maids aren't always the same every day and that way you make sure that it's going to the person that did your room that day and not just the person that did your room the last day.

I even tip the maids that work at my dad's house in Indonesia.

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/15/06 11:16 AM

When you stay at Capitain Morgans, your get the same girls(maids) everyday, for the week.. We'll tip them right everyday..They deserve it!! we trash our rooms with sand!!flippers,booties & bathingsuits..

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/15/06 01:55 PM

Pedro1, I think she is well paid. If I give her yet another raise, how do you expect me to pay her during the summer and fall when there is no one here and she has nothing to do, and I myself am living from week to week stretching out a buck?
Posted By: Xoe

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/16/06 04:50 AM

In January we left $5US daily for our condo cleaning staff, and $20US at the end of our week's stay. I had the impression that the housekeepers may be at the low end of the pay range there; we also left our extra food items, which the office staff told us would be appreciated.

We tipped 20% at restaurants, as we do at home.
Posted By: Gela

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/16/06 05:47 PM

I've stayed at various hotels on AC. An example: Xanadu, charges 10% for service in addition to the 9% hotel tax. I will leave a little more for the maid if I've caused her more than her usual work.

I tip at restaurants like I do at home. Tours - probably 20%.
Posted By: Bzedoll

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/17/06 02:35 PM

Alot of us forget how much the staff at Hotels make!

Most of them live off their tips during the week since on pay day they will probably have enough bills amounted that all their checks go to those.

Also the service charge that is added at most resorts is not shared properly with Management and Owners getting a big chunk right off the top. Leaving a little bit to be shared by the real workers.

I am a big tipper. Maybe it is because I am constantly around hardworking people that are very grateful for the little tip they get.
Posted By: Xoe

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/17/06 05:12 PM

I should have mentioned above that there had been a "service charge" already included with our hotel charges, so the $5 per day & $20 at the end was in addition to the included charge. If that weren't true, we would have tipped more.

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/18/06 05:54 AM

Xoe, lets just hope that the service charge you paid at that place went to the service help, as a tip. It's not right if they add a maid fee or service charge that doesn't go to the people whos "SERVICE" we experienced. They made our trip nice.

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/18/06 03:12 PM

I believe BTB rules are 100% of service charges MUST go to employees.
Posted By: 1BKeeper

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/18/06 07:59 PM

Do the housekeepers, groundskeepers, maintenance, night watchmen, and desk personnel make close to the same salaries? When a service charge is not requested I try to tip all, but at some places, some of the staff is more visible than others.
I figure out a total tip and then try to give all some with the maid getting the most along the way. Any better suggestions? I want to be fair.

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/18/06 08:10 PM

You sound very generous to me. I think tipping is only expected by those that perform a direct service for you. Unless you call the maintenance guy to fix your AC at 1am, or the gardener keeps the bushes in front of your room extra nice compared to everyone elses, I don't think you need to tip them. Of course I'm sure they greatly appreciate it and hopefully will think about doing another great job for the next guest.
Posted By: 737Pilot

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/23/06 07:15 PM

To
Insure
Proper
Service
Posted By: Bzedoll

Re: Whats wrong with tipping? - 04/23/06 11:11 PM

laugh
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board