AmbergrisCaye.com Home

CAMERAS FOR KIDS

Posted By: ScubaLdy

CAMERAS FOR KIDS - 04/21/06 07:11 PM

The digital photography classes have been completed. First of all I want to thank those of you who donated camera. I'm ashamed to say I have lost track of everyone but I do know that Amanda, Sun & Sand, Pam and Wayne and Ken & Monica gave. Those of you who I have ˜forgotten" please send me an instant message so I can properly record this. There were many cameras donated including two Canon A6's and Scubawalk donated four more new Canon A520's so that we could use the same models in teaching the kids.

We decided to give one of the older model cameras to Detective Inspector Myles for use by the Police Department. He has been very successful in arresting criminals and getting convictions. I am working to set up a way to get more media coverage on these successes to get the word out on the street that San Pedro is no longer open to wholesale thievery and major crimes. I sincerely hope that those of you who donated do not have a problem with this decision.

Cullen Walker came forward and offered to assist me with the class. Truth be told he did more for the class than did I. Thank you Cullen!

We had 10 pupils that attended classes. Four children attended and participated in enough classes to graduate. We both felt that this class was a good start in an effort to develop new opportunities for the children of San Pedro.

Cullen made up folders for each that contained a diploma and two prints of their work suitable to hang on their wall at home. Together we selected one image for each student and I wrote an article for the newspapers and took a picture of the two who came to the graduation ceremony. The San Pedro Sun ran the article as a feature. You can view it at http://www.sanpedrosun.net/06-154.html It laid out in print much nicer than it shows up here.

I suggested to the Sun that they take on our brightest pupil, Monica Ack, as a student photographer. They like the idea. I will work with them getting this to happen.

Again thanks to each and every one of you who made this dream a reality.
smile
Posted By: Pam&Dave

Re: CAMERAS FOR KIDS - 04/21/06 07:19 PM

My pleasure Harriette. Both you and Cullen have planted a very special "seed" in the minds of those impressionable children. It must have given you such joy to work with those young, bright minds. Keep up your volunteer service to the community of AC. You are making a difference!
Posted By: klcman

Re: CAMERAS FOR KIDS - 04/21/06 09:27 PM

Hey Scuba -

is Monica Jerry's daughter?
Posted By: scubawalk

Re: CAMERAS FOR KIDS - 04/22/06 12:21 AM

There were five children with the last name Ack in the class. I'm not sure about the parents names, but all the children they were all cousins.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: CAMERAS FOR KIDS - 04/23/06 02:08 AM

Thanks Cullen - Actually the Jerry mentioned is 8 years old and the brother of Monica who is 10. Janelli is a cousin and I saw here at Castiollo's Hardware today. They were all a wonderful bunch of students. Yes, it was fun and I think we have some very good up and coming photographers.
Posted By: IGAmel

Re: CAMERAS FOR KIDS - 04/23/06 12:58 PM

Hi Klcman,
Yes. Monica is Jerry's daughter and 8 year old Jerry is his son.

Re: CAMERAS FOR KIDS - 04/23/06 01:22 PM

Thx IGA, was really chuckling at how an 8 yr old could be a father to a 10yr old laugh

Especially since I saw no reference, other than my own, to Jerry.

Re: CAMERAS FOR KIDS - 04/23/06 02:06 PM

klcman,
Sorry to confuse you. To answer your original question: yes, Monica is Jerry's daughter.

Re: CAMERAS FOR KIDS - 04/23/06 02:09 PM

u didn't confuse me at all. it was somebody else!

Re: CAMERAS FOR KIDS - 04/23/06 02:18 PM

got it.
Posted By: Scuba do

Re: CAMERAS FOR KIDS - 04/29/06 03:17 PM

Thanks to you,ScubaLdy for your work with the children of San Pedro,you seem to "get the picture" on how to make San Pedro a better place to live,after all,they are the future of this island
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board