AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize

Posted By: MensErgerJeNiet

Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 02:03 AM

Last time I went to Belize, I brought a bag with some packaged food. I heard after my trip, that possibly Belize customs might have had issue with some of the items.
So, before I go back, who can tell me which of these items that I (hypothetically) could have broght with me, can/cannot be imported. (I actually asked this question of Customs, but have had no response several months later).
Canned foods
Powdered drink mixes
Dried fruits
Bagels or Poptarts
Cheese
Candy bars
Coffee
Canned cashews or peanuts
??
Posted By: dabunk

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 02:19 AM

None of those are a problem, except for the bagels. You would be required to bring them to PG for my personal inspection. Actually everything on your list is available in Brodies or other major shops here already.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 04:42 AM

I bring my fav snacks and have never had a problem. You should know that you can get cashews in Belize for way less than what you'd pay in the states - and they're better!
Caye Coffee has decent beans as long as you're not looking for a really strong roast. Everything else may be available but freshness is an issue and price is considerably upped!
That said, the more I go the less I want the stuff from home (except I really miss my half and half!)
Posted By: seashell

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 08:31 AM

I bring my own cheese, you guys might have heard me say so before.

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 12:19 PM

Then again, that slice might have gotten lost among the other cheesey comments on here... :rolleyes:
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 03:05 PM

Why lug all those items down here and risk them being confiscated when you can easily get them on the island?

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 04:00 PM

Simon, can I get Kraft Canadian Cheddar (not having reached its expiry date)?
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 04:03 PM

Seashell -since your last visit which was what four years ago -let me point out things have changed a lot more than you could possibly imagine

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 04:19 PM

4 years? Snort.

So? Can I get the kind of cheese I like or not?
Posted By: SFJeff

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 04:26 PM

for what it's worth, cashews (albeit plentiful) are actually MORE expensive here than in the States... even when purchased in bulk (we buy 25-50lbs at a time) on the mainland.

RE: bringing in food in general, I'd say that a lot depends as much on HOW much you are bringing in as it does on WHAT you are bringing in... amounts obviously for personal consumption are, more often than not, allowed to pass... If your luggage contains 1/2 a Safeway store, they're going to ding you for some duty and/or make you "buy a permit"...

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 04:28 PM

Well, let's see I have Kraft Cheddar, Monteray Jack and Colby in the fridge right now so I guess the answer would be yes (they expire in July).

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 04:32 PM

SFJeff - I stand corrected - they seemed less expensive to me, but I only bought the tiny packages from the kids so apparently that wasn't a good comparison.

Simon, come on, be fair. We all have a few favorite things that aren't available there. I wouldn't lug in a grocery store, but for a long stay there are a couple of things I always want to bring. I've also been asked by locals and residents there to bring the occassional item. I've never had a problem with any of them at customs.

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 06:07 PM

Hey, great. So I CAN bring an assortment of food in.
And yes, I've learned that so much stuff is available in SP. I like the sausage factory meats and chicken tacos.
Maybe next time I'll just bring some really good cheeses, wines, and of course bagels. And cookies. And pasta. and maybe a few other things.

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 06:09 PM

Was just going by the list that was posted. True there are many items you can't get here (mainly by brand name) but the list had a lot of items that you can get here...

Canned foods - got 'em, what do you need?
Powdered drink mixes - KoolAid, Tang, Nestea... got 'em
Dried fruits - Apricots, raisins, cranberries, dates...
Bagels or Poptarts - got 'em both in all kinds of flavours
Cheese - the cheese has returned!
Candy bars - this might be the only one that you may not get your favourite but do you get white chocolate Kit Kat's up there?
Coffee - local, Guatemalan, Maxwell House... got 'em
Canned cashews or peanuts - got 'em in numerous brands and types.

Pasta's - Mueller's brand is widely available and of good quality

Good Cheeses -
Asiago Aged
Brie (France) Wedge
Camembert-Supreme
Danish Blue Pre-Cut VacSeal
Danish Blue Wheel
Dbl Gloucester w/Stilton (Huntsman)
Emmental (Swiss)
Feta
Gorgonzola
Havarti with Dill
Havarti with Sundried Tomato
Mozzarella
Mozzarella, Fresh (8 oz ball)
Parmesan Grana Pre-Cut VacSeal
Parmesan Grated 8 oz container
Parmesan Reggiano Pre-Cut VacSeal
Pepper Jack Pre-Cut VacSeal
Port Salut
Provolone
Romano Pecorino
Roquefort Societe Bee Wedge
St. Andre
Stilton
Stilton Ilchester Pre-Cut VacSeal

Wines - Over 300 varieties available on the island
Posted By: kris48

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 11:15 PM

Can we all admit that some of the boarders own businesses on the Island, and from time to time post about that business? In general, they are answering direct questions, and are very helpful! At least, Simon and others (including Pedro 1) are well known for their business. Let's let them inform and educate!
Posted By: Sun&sand

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/13/06 11:47 PM

I'm all for supporting the businesses on the island, but if you only have so many $$'s, if you bring a lot of the stuff you eat, it allows more $$ to go to other stuff. I like to eat at home half the time, and eat out the rest of the time. If I can bring stuff to make samiches for lunch, I can afford to eat dinner out every night. I still spend the $$ on the island, but not all for food. If allows me to do more stuff, and enjoy more if I can eat a few meals at home, or at least have snacks with drinks at home, then go out to eat. I don't think that is gyping the economy....is it?

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/14/06 02:28 AM

okay, so perhaps there are some experts here, is it true that businesses have one price for the locals, and another price for the tourists? I'm really not personally opposed to that. I love Belize, and can probably afford the higher prices more than some of the true Belizeans, but it is one of the reasons that I like to at least take some stuff with me.
Posted By: lacysisland

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/14/06 07:21 AM

Years ago going to SP I took all kinds of stuff, I would end up giving it all away to the locals by the time I left.Hawaiian Sling, masks, fins,tent, binoculars, can opener,etc., the can opener was the one thing that made a lady cry over in San Ignacio, she had never had one. The hand crankink kind, no less. The Federalies would always want to consificate my tapes(music off M-TV back then)and cigs that my friend offshore wanted. Mervino was around in those days.So were the Brittish soldiers who loved to drink and play darts.The fish were so beautiful and plenty, it was sand streets, barefeet, paradise. Wish it was more like that today at times, but I love it none the less..

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/15/06 01:31 PM

"is it true that businesses have one price for the locals, and another price for the tourists?"

Some restaurants offer a discount to locals, most don't. As far as groceries go, most stores have price tags on their products or they have scanners so you know you're paying the same price. Just make sure that the price on the item is what's keyed at the register.

I remember once listening to a couple in front of me at the register demanding a 15% discount because they had just bought a vacation condo and were now "local". Guess they heard the same rumour as well.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/15/06 04:58 PM

Don't bring cashews!!!! The cashews from Belize are 10 X better than those in the states, fresh, and amazing... and cheaper than in the states.
Posted By: GBZ39

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/15/06 05:51 PM

Wine is available but is expensive in SP.

If you enjoy wine, a bottle or two in your suitcase makes $$$ sense.
Posted By: desertrat

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/15/06 06:04 PM

yes, locals frequently get a discount. ie: $5 cabs vs $7 or 8 for tourists. Saw a local buy a pack of Marlboro's for $10, tourist paid $12, etc. All prices in Belize dollars.
Posted By: desertrat

Re: Is it possible to bring (any) food into Belize - 05/15/06 06:17 PM

internet prices are at some places reduced, as well, for locals.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board