AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Banana Beach

Posted By: Divin'Dad

Banana Beach - 07/20/06 08:04 PM

Hi all. My family and I will be making our first trip to Ambergris at Christmastime. I've booked acouple of condos at Banana Beach and would love your thoughts on the resort, location, where to eat, with whom to dive...generally everything. Enlighten me, oh denizens of San Pedro Town! wink
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Banana Beach - 07/20/06 08:19 PM

Love BB! The staff is great (owner's a little strange - Hi, Tim wink ) a full breakfast is included in the rate, great pools, well-equipped kitchens, the onsite travel shop is set up to arrange any trip you want and will bill it to your room, walking distance to town in 20 minutes or so (not counting stops at the various bars along the way! laugh ). And their bar makes the best rum punch on the island - and I outta know, I've tasted 'em most everywhere.

To eat: my two faves are Papi's for local food and Casa Picasso for the best drinks and yummy nice dinner out.
You can find lots of info on the board - no shortage of opinions. You'll develop your own when you get there! Have fun.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Banana Beach - 07/20/06 08:21 PM

You can't go wrong with Banana Beach. Very accommodating staff and a great on-site restaurant (El Divino's).......just one of the many great restaurants on the Island.
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Banana Beach - 07/20/06 08:48 PM

Also there is Fido's, Elvi's and the Reef. Caliente's also for good drinks. If you happen to be near the Pier Lounge on a Wednesday, you need to see what the "Chicken Drop" is all about! eek laugh
Posted By: spots101x

Re: Banana Beach - 07/20/06 09:07 PM

Uh oh...I see another food fight coming laugh
Posted By: spots101x

Re: Banana Beach - 07/20/06 09:21 PM

Hey, Divin'Dad...Check out the Visitor's Guide of the San Pedro Sun...see Marty's post of 7/19 for a quick link. You and your family should have a blast!
Posted By: klcman

Re: Banana Beach - 07/20/06 10:11 PM

Ditto everything everyone else had said thus far. I conside BB my AC home-away-from-home. Tim & the gang are, IMNSHO, top notch in every way.

Check out Caramba asd well for some good food. And my fav little "locals' places like Antijitos San Telmo, Warugama, The Reef, and for a taste of local bar flavor, Sandals. Damn, now why did I miss them the last time down? Oh yeah - not enough time!

Go, enjoy, explore. Make your own discoveries....much of the fun & adventure of travel. No expectations, no day-by-day itinerary, just flow.

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 12:42 AM

Thanks to all for your quick input. It sounds like I've made a good decision. I'll continue to welcome all the advice I can get. Particualrly on choosing a dive operator and an airline. (My family and I will be coming from Indianapolis and my mom and sister from Phoenix.)

BTW, I lurked awhile before joining in the fun here and I gotta tell ya , I enjoy the food fights. Quite entertaining. Have at it. ;-)

One more thing. spots101x, where do I find the Visitor's Guide of the San Pedro Sun?
Posted By: DB

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 12:53 AM

Divin'Dad ....don't forget to go bowling on the beach while at Fido's. cool
Posted By: Hon

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 12:59 AM

http://www.sanpedrosun.net/06-29.pdf

Divin'Dad, follow the link for the latest issue of the Visitors Guide. Enjoy.

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 01:02 AM

Thanks, Hon. You all have been great. I feel like a part of the community.
Posted By: ecosvl

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 02:29 AM

DD there are lots of good dive centers in Ambergris Caye. Amigos del Mar is one of the oldest and largest dive centers,
Ecologic DIVERS and Protech cater to smaller groups and individual attention. check out there websites www.ecologicdivers.com www.protechdive.com www.amigosdive.com
Posted By: ArtZ SmartZ

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 01:15 PM

DD

If you have kids don't forget to take them to see the 8-14 ft Crocodile in the lake. It seems to grow with every story told. Just keep them away from the water's edge.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/artzsmartzkris/album?.dir=3e1d&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/artzsmartzkris/my_photos
Posted By: seashell

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 01:22 PM

Geez Louise, it's just a matter of time.
Posted By: krehfish

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 03:26 PM

The original Jerk Pit has been reincarnated as the Jam Rock Cafe. Mara's back and Jamac'n Me Crazy Shrimp is back on the menu.
Posted By: snorkelgirl

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 03:56 PM

Banana Colada at Banana Beach is yummy! No I make my own with One Barrell back in the U.S.

Breakfast at Banana Beach is great. Big hamburgers for supper, enough to feed 2 people.

Go around the corner to Israel's little market in the morning, get a few of the meat pies made by the locals and put them in the frig to heat in the microwave later. They make a quick and tasty snack when you come in from diving/snorkeling. But if you wait til noon to purchase them, they're GONE!
Posted By: SeaDreams

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 05:31 PM

Hey there Snorkelgirl!! So, there's still a market close to BB? We didn't stay there on our last trip - but we went past it and the little market that was across the street on our first trip was no longer there. Kind of bummed us out cause we were in that market a couple times every day.
Posted By: PalapaBob

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 05:33 PM

Isreal built a new store just down the street.

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 08:23 PM

Oh yeah! I was so glad to find Israel just north of BB and on a side street. Easy walk.

Some nice upgrades for his store: A/C, good freezer and refrigerator setup, and more selection. Always looking for those "Peace Fuzz" drinks in his frig case, dontchaknow :p

He was looking well and happy. Love to chat with him. And his clothing was looking a little better too.

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 08:25 PM

Right. That was supposed to be "Peach Fuzz" and a smile not a :p

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 08:30 PM

He is one of the hundreds of great little pieces of the "Why I love San Pedro" puzzle.
Posted By: catdog

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 10:31 PM

And of course, his lovely friendly,helpful wife! :rolleyes:

He is a sweetheart tho and his new shop is quite a step up!

Re: Banana Beach - 07/21/06 10:54 PM

Can't wait to see it, he has been working on it for the last two years I have been down.
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board