AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Ruby's

Posted By: BFaucett

Ruby's - 09/18/06 05:26 PM

I am planning a 2 week trip to San Pedro by myself in November and I was considering staying at Ruby's because the price is right. Is it a decent enough place to crash for a couple weeks?
Would I need air conditioning in November?
Bob
Posted By: SeaDreams

Re: Ruby's - 09/18/06 06:38 PM

Hi Bob -

Husband and I stayed at Ruby's on our last trip back in May. Completely lived up to what I'd read on this forum... clean and basic. No phone, TV, radio, alarm, etc. We wanted to take advantage of the time we had and weren't planning on spending much time in the room. Any down time in the room not sleeping was sitting on the balcony watching the foot traffic go by and enjoying the breezes(beachside room).

Have to admit I loved the AC though - made sleeping much easier.

Re: Ruby's - 09/18/06 06:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I stayed at Banana Beach in May of 2005 and I agree that AC was needed but I wonder if is needed in November? Maybe a local can answer this?
Bob
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Ruby's - 09/18/06 07:07 PM

Banana beach and rubys is like night and day . Rubys no ammenities,no frills nada, nothing .Now having said that if you want just a bed and chill and pay next to nothing $$ then rubys is your place.
Posted By: deacon+

Re: Ruby's - 09/18/06 07:15 PM

If you really want to save check out Pedro' Inn. If the promo is still on your room is FREE.

Re: Ruby's - 09/18/06 07:34 PM

I like Ruby's because its on the beach and I don't think that Pedro's is.
There is no question that Banana Beach is a much better place but its a lot more expensive for a long term stay. I am close to retiring and I want to try Ruby's to see if I can handle it for a month or 2 in the winter. Just give me a bed, a place to dive and fish, and a nearby place to drink a few beers and I am happy.
Bob
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ruby's - 09/18/06 07:40 PM

Ruby's is a good choice for you. You might also check out the Conch Shell, northward on the beach about 3 blocks. You won't need AC.

Re: Ruby's - 09/18/06 08:08 PM

Thanks, I will check it out.
Posted By: krehfish

Re: Ruby's - 09/18/06 08:25 PM

Bob: I've put my time in at both Ruby's and BB. They're really different strokes and comparing them probably isn't fair. BB is, for the price and amnenities, unrivalled. However, Ruby's has the early morning hustle of the cafe, and you can literally watch the town wake up-fisherman gearing up, diving boats getting ready, joggers etc. For me the difference was that on the mornings I wasn't fishing and I'd had my fill of coffee and didn't want to read, at Ruby's, I could wander around town and see all variey of activity. I felt just a bit secluded at BB-which of course is not all bad either.

Re: Ruby's - 09/18/06 09:51 PM

bf did you say a month or two ,because you asked about b/b or rubys for two weeks in november ???,but never said two months thats is a lot of money $ between the two !!!!!!!!! again night and day!!!!!!!between places.good luck in your quest..

Re: Ruby's - 09/18/06 09:57 PM

Check out the home page top right corner. There are places accross from Ramon's. IMO for a month or 2 alot better$$$ wise.

Re: Ruby's - 09/18/06 11:32 PM

Another place on the beach which gives high value for money is Spindrift, not far up the beach from Ruby's. The home of Caliente restaurant and the chicken drop competition. Some rooms with A/C, some just with fan. You may well find a fan sufficient in November. Run by very pleasant genuinely caring people.
Posted By: govikes

Re: Ruby's - 09/19/06 03:11 PM

Having stayed many times at Ruby's, it is cheap, clean and a great way to meet other travelers while you're down here.
Posted By: San Pedro Daily

Re: Ruby's - 09/19/06 05:45 PM

**Do not reply to messages to point out bbs rule infractions. Leave this to
BBS Administrators and Moderators. When you jump in, it makes for even more
work on the part of the administrators to clean up the mess. If you feel a
message is improper, please email the Administrator or the forum's Moderator directly.
Posted By: ozarksdiver

Re: Ruby's - 09/19/06 07:29 PM

although I agree with the "board police" that the comments were not made in a positive light....let's make sure we have the same set of rules for all parties. It would appear that it is fine for some people to be rude and mean....but not ok for others to make a rude comment.

Re: Ruby's - 09/19/06 09:35 PM

Marty interrupting here
didn't delete i cause i didn't see it. i certainly don't read everything. if you think something needs to be deleted feel free to email me at [email protected]

Marty aka board police

here;s Jeff, sorry i interrupted but i saw this quite a bit later
================
Orzark diver ,your right.nobody should be rude ,nobody.We need a happy ,happy board.
Posted By: ida_y_vuelta

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 02:46 AM

So... back on topic...

I'm staying at rubys this december for a month but i'm staying there by myself (my friends are staying out of town and weren't originally coming with me...) but i chose ruby's based on the fact that i hear it's clean and a decent place to stay! Also for the fact that it's in town and on the beach!

You prob could save yourself some money by renting out a villa or casita for the month or two...
Posted By: seashell

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 05:45 AM

Thanks law. I have to admit, that it's probably hard for certain readers to see the twinkle in my eye from here.

By the way, to all of you out there that were giving me heck . . 1) that's law's job and 2) how come Stephie didn't get heck . .it's not fair, she started it. wink

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 07:17 AM

Yeah! What she said! wink
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 10:26 AM

I put on 3-D glassess and now this thread has more clarity.
Posted By: indygal

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 11:29 AM

While at Ruby's have breakfast. I like their fry Jack with ham and beans. Also cheap. Enjoy

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 12:25 PM

What is fry jack? From some of these reply's it sounds like I made the right decision with staying at Ruby's.
Posted By: dabunk

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 01:00 PM

Fry jack is a fried tortilla. Excellent!!

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 01:07 PM

How is the other food at Ruby's? Do they have any salads?

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 02:34 PM

Hello, dog. Good call, as usual - 3-D beats rose-colored anyday.
Nice to have you back. smile

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 02:36 PM

BFaucett, the food at Ruby's is quite tastey and ya can't beat the prices. My guess is their salad selcection might be a bit limited though...
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 03:01 PM

...or perhaps nonexistant.

Hola Law! Come see me SOON!!
Posted By: MALIBU

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 03:04 PM

Oh what I wouldn't give for some fry jacks right now! Everybody you've GOT to have them! Ask for them with your breakfast. And.....when you go home you can have fry jack-withdrawal just like me. laugh

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 03:20 PM

Hey there,TQ - QT. Did ya book me in A1 for Oct? wink

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 03:28 PM

Rubys cafe ,has one table inside, and five tables out side under hotel to sit with your take out !! self serve food . It is counter service quick ,And friendly take out very limited menu ,no salad , maybe fruit salad?? mostly good fresh coffee ,buns , fresh squeeze oj home made cakes ,All different fried jacks,burrito's.. The locals in place to grab something to start there day..opens at 5 am great for fisherman or party people who are out all night,not fancy ,no Ambiance just a nice local hangout.

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 05:31 PM

Thanks Capt Jeff. You and I chated back in the Spring of 2005 when I stayed at Banana Beach for a week. This time I am coming by myself and I would like to stay in the middle of town to get the feel of everything. I used to run a charter boat for about 15 years, parttime, so a lot of people call me Capt Bob.
Maybe we can meet someday.
Posted By: SeaDreams

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 05:34 PM

Mmmmmm... fry jacks... we ate Ruby's every morning during our time in San Pedro. Quick, handy and tasty so we could head out and play.

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 05:44 PM

BF yes I remember !! ok capt bob ,enjoy ,,,go live the dream....

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 07:05 PM

Ruby's has a small cafe with very limited choices. But they have the best coffee and easily the best sticky buns on the island.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 09:13 PM

BFacucett, Don't stay at the 2milesnorthofcut-Inn. I hear the security guard is nasty as a Croc. wink

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 09:14 PM

Thought the guard was a croc????????????

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 09:19 PM

Oh, come on now 2miles, your guard is a real sweetie! wink

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 11:15 PM

True Cappy, Law, Real sweet till you get close enough to him, Than real Biter eek

Re: Ruby's - 09/20/06 11:20 PM

2MILE, have you sized him up for shoes yet. Am I going to here it now. Just a joke people. Oh, and gringostar I did not mean ALL the crocs.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Ruby's - 09/21/06 06:21 AM

Drats, I wrestled 12 crocs, turned each of them over at great personal peril and guess what? Not one of them was wearing shoes.
Posted By: J DOG

Re: Ruby's - 09/21/06 10:21 AM

Rubys does have A/C rooms for about $15 extra, I've stayed there many times in my early years 90s Had a great time & met a lot of interresting people. Also stayed at Lily's a lot, good location, center of town.
Then I made the mistake of bringing my wife down, no more single vacations & I had to make a upgrade on accomadations. Been at the Blue Tang ever since & love it.
See you all in Feb.!!

Re: Ruby's - 09/21/06 12:23 PM

J DOG: I have been married twice and I won't make that mistake again. My last wife wanted me to sell my boat then it was all down hill from there.

Re: Ruby's - 09/21/06 01:43 PM

As long as she didn't want to get rid of the dog!

Re: Ruby's - 09/21/06 02:49 PM

2miles, a little bite once in a while is good for what ails ya! wink

Re: Ruby's - 09/21/06 02:57 PM

That's what I always say. eek

Re: Ruby's - 09/21/06 08:54 PM

Deacon, I asked him what size shoes he wanted and he just hissed at me and said Belizians don't wear stinkin shoes!(Disclamer: Croc's can't really talk to humans and some Belizians do wear shoes but most of the ones that I hang with don't wear shoes so thats why i said that the croc said that to me. ok Gringostarr wheeeeew, I have to get a new lawyer. :rolleyes:

Re: Ruby's - 09/22/06 02:22 AM

2Miles, would you like my fee schecule? laugh
Posted By: Pam&Dave

Re: Ruby's - 09/22/06 03:51 AM

schecule? selcection / No one is perfect wink

Re: Ruby's - 09/22/06 05:12 AM

No one is perfect, but some are better at some things than others. You looking for round two, Pam? Will you be an English Professor this round? wink

Re: Ruby's - 09/22/06 01:26 PM

hahahahahahahahahah Law, you're so funny!!!!!!!!

Coach ain't bad Law... you coming in Oct.??

Re: Ruby's - 09/22/06 02:00 PM

I'd love to, girlie! And you know I'm a coach kinda gal! smile I'll call you this weekend!

Re: Ruby's - 09/22/06 02:42 PM

smile
Posted By: RMT

Re: Ruby's - 09/22/06 03:57 PM

I know who I'm placing my bets on. laugh
Posted By: klcman

Re: Ruby's - 09/22/06 03:59 PM

Sucker bets!

Re: Ruby's - 09/22/06 08:54 PM

Law, I'm assuming your fee schedule includes Ca. to BZ airfare, accomodations and of course "incidentals". wink

Re: Ruby's - 09/22/06 08:55 PM

Love ya, Rhon! wink

But of course, 2Mmiles. And you know, of course, that you will be quoted the "friends and family" rates! wink
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board