AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: indygal Review of newer resturants - 10/30/06 01:51 AM
Tried Pedro's Pizza, the new Monkey bites, Fido's two-the Sandbar.
The scoop is The Pizza at Pedro's is very good. Plenty of toppings and nice crisp crust. Oh and free pool table which is especially nice if you are as lousey at it as I am.
The new owners at Monkey bites are doing a nice job. You can tell they like to cook. Tastey lunch specials M-F. They do not try to copy the locals, more USA type food.
Fido's II way down south has a beautiful setting, nice beach, pool, bowling and plenty of shade. The sunday BBQ was just plain food-not bad, but not good either. To bad the food is not better because the setting is lovely.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/30/06 01:58 AM
Try the "Beachen Kitchen" at the entrance of the Palapa Bar...........great to say the least! Former owner owner of Monkey Bites.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/30/06 05:01 AM
For lunches I love Hakal Kiik, El Fogon, Tabu, Blue Water. Hakal Kiik is one of the only places to get subs and one of the most reasonably priced places. And I do enjoy the food at Tabu a lot too!! Blue Water is very reasonably prices for lunch vs. dinner.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/30/06 08:08 PM
What about Rojo? Do they serve lunch?
Posted By: Axeman Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/30/06 10:37 PM
Is Jambel's still there?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/30/06 10:54 PM
Jambel's alive and well - yum!!
Posted By: Gela Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 12:37 AM
Jambel's in it's new location - not the old location on the Beach that Axeman might have remembered. Isn't that now Rick's (from Crazy Canucks) new restaurant?
Posted By: PalapaBob Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 12:52 AM
That old Jambel's by the beach was a great place. Loved to sit upstairs for lunch!
Posted By: indygal Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 01:59 AM
Went to Hakal Kiki today - they had not a window open and it must have been 95 in there, could not sit down and eat,just toooo hot. Had nice lunch at Tabu. Where is El Fogon?
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 03:13 AM
this is so strange, it is always freezing in there. They keep the A/C nice and chilly. I wonder if it is broken? El Fogon is right behind Tropic Cargo.
Posted By: KC Jayhawk Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 03:24 AM
Gela, more info, please on Rick's new place!! We got to be fans of his last year at Canuck's. If he's got a new place, we'd like to leave some $$ with him when we get down there in a few days. Besides, I've got a Chiefs shirt for him; I got tired of that d#%* Broncos shirt he liked to wear.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 03:27 AM
it's in Coral Beach hotel across from Rehab. It's been there at least 1 1/2 years.
Posted By: Windjammer Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 03:28 AM
Rick's place "Oregano's" is closed & when I was there a week ago he was not on the Island.
Posted By: Windjammer Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 03:31 AM
Jambel's is in the Coral Beach Hotel, the original restaurant on the beach with the great upstairs which became Oregano's is now something else. smile
Posted By: Axeman Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 03:54 AM
Wow...that was my all time fav...Thanks for updateing me..I'll miss the veranda..it was sooo peaceful...
Posted By: Gela Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 04:27 AM
I blink and things change - well, it's been 14 months since I've been there so, what do I know eek

Thanks for the update.

My conclusion - there were too many restaurants and not enough meals to enjoy them all. So, I will patronize a few, and try a few new ones laugh

Cheers and happy eating!
Posted By: diane&greg Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 02:29 PM
Ate at Rick's place, Oregano, in January...sorry it didn't make it.
Posted By: krehfish Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 03:12 PM
Jamacin me crazy shrimp still avail. at the original re-invented Jerk Pit. Mara was runnin' the show last August.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 03:14 PM
Rick has the restaurant at the municipal airport in Bz City now. Stop by when changing planes or while in the city!
Posted By: Gela Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 04:12 PM
Barbara - a restaurant @ municipal? I remember a tiny room. Is it there?
Posted By: spots101x Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 04:20 PM
Can anyone tell me what happened to Cathy at Monkey Bites - I so enjoyed visiting with her while I ate my breakfast (she had great taste in fruit) and she made breakfast for the others. I'll miss that next visit.
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 04:39 PM
Cathy is opening a diner type establishment near the palapa bar. I spoke with her in August, and she said she was working on getting it together to open soon. Can't wait. Her food is great, and she is so laid back, makes it a true SP experience.
Posted By: KC Jayhawk Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 04:51 PM
I'm with Spots--Monkey Bites was almost a daily breakfast stop for us. Good food and good company! Cathy's new place is exactly or approximately where? I'm not sure which palapa bar Sun&sand in referring to. We'll be there in less than two weeks so I'd like to give her some business.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 08:11 PM
The Palapa Bar is on N AC about a mile over the bridge on the seaside.

The restaurant at the municipal is a separate building just before the Tropic Terminal. It's been there a while but Rick's had it since the summer. There was a tiny restaurant across from the Tropic terminal at one time but I think it's just a small store now.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 10:03 PM
Gela is right!! Too many restaurants, too few meals. What San Pedro really, really needs is acouple more Tee-Shirt Shops. PS. Eat at Caliente's!!!!
Posted By: klcman Re: Review of newer resturants - 10/31/06 10:06 PM
How about edible T's?
Posted By: Chica Blanca Re: Review of newer resturants - 11/01/06 12:14 AM
Cathy from Monkey Bites has opened up Beachin Kitchen at the Palapa Bar north of the cut. Has been open for a few weeks now. She has added to her menu at this new place. She is a wonderful addition to the Tres Cocos neighborhood.
Posted By: GailM Re: Review of newer resturants - 11/01/06 03:32 AM
Rick is at municipal at what was Hangar Cafe - on your way to Tropic.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board