AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Kgryfon Snorkeling Sites? - 10/30/06 05:02 AM
Hi All!

I am planning a trip to San Pedro for sometime next summer for six adults. Most are novice snorklers, and it would be great if I could find some off-beach snorkle spots (rather than boat trips). Any suggestions?

Also, anyone know of a two or three bedroom beach house - doesn't need to be the greatest, but needs to be in or very near town and on the beach. If we can't find one, I guess we'd need to get a condo/suite because we all want to hang together and would prefer to not be in separate hotel rooms. So...any suggestions would be really appreciated!

BTW, this is a great forum!

Thanks!
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 10/30/06 05:03 AM
What price range for the beach house, do you prefer north or south?

Ramons is pretty cool to snorkel at, there are plenty of places. Just ask around when you come down.
Posted By: Kgryfon Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 10/30/06 05:54 AM
North, I guess. I read somewhere that south of town was boring...but they could have been trying to sell something that was up north : )

Something about $250 a night would be nice (6 person). Or less would be even better, of course!

Thanks for the tip on the snorkeling. We'll check it out when we get there!
Posted By: J DOG Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 10/30/06 11:20 AM
I don't think you'll find anything beach snorkleing that will even come close to what you can see on the boat trips.
Try Caye Management for your rental on the beach close to town.
Posted By: cakelee Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 10/30/06 11:51 AM
Look up Casa Caracol on this site. Nice place, very spacious, close to town, extremely helpful owners who are willing to give lots of tips on how to enjoy your time and/or arrange excursions for you.
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 10/30/06 03:19 PM
Ramon's pier does have fun snorkeling and you'll see several varieties of fish.

But even for novice snorkelers, it would be a cryin' shame to not take a quick ride to see Hol Chan Marine Reserve.

The coral reef is so gorgeous, and the many species of fish in vibrant color should not be missed. Unforgettable experience!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 10/30/06 03:32 PM
south of town ain't boring unless you get too far south.
let them novices practice at Ramon's but like snorkelgirl said, don't miss Hol Chan. Its not difficult, anybody can do it. toughest part for us old geezers is gettin in an outta the boat! laugh
Posted By: J DOG Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 10/31/06 12:26 AM
Your right about that Rykat, the getting in is a whole lot easier than the getting out though. lol!!
Posted By: spots101x Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 10/31/06 04:40 PM
J Dog is so right in the overall scheme of things, and (as much as I hate to admit it, so is J Dog), but please don't rule out the simple pleasures while you're there. One thing I enjoyed most during my trip last May was to walk out on the dock outside of Corona del Mar just after sunrise with a mug of coffee. Then I'd put on only my mask/snorkel, then slip into the ocean using the ladder. I even saw my first, though I hope and pray it won't be my last, sea horse down out there one morning thanks to this great local I met and nicknamed "one-in-a-million Willie". D#*n, I want to be back there right NOW! I'd heard that Ramon's had dressed up their pier and wanted to check it out but another told me that it was for guests of Ramon's only. Were they right? If not, I'd like it check it out next visit.
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 10/31/06 06:57 PM
We stayed at Paradise Villas (Cap'n Ron's place)but went to Ramon's pier 3 different times. Never had anyone ask if we were staying at R's Village. So we enjoyed drinks from their bar, lunch from their restaurant, purchased tshirts from their shop and lounged in their chairs. They have put some artificial reef near the end of the pier. But you can find some fish anywhere underneath the pier. The rays came in close to shore where the fisherman clean their fish right there by the dive shop, too.
Posted By: Kgryfon Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 11/02/06 03:51 AM
Thanks for all the info, folks! How much is a typical boat ride for snorkeling at say, Hol Chan? Also, is the Blue Hole ok for snorkeling, or mostly for scuba?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 11/02/06 06:47 AM
Most places are charging about $25 US, plus park entry fee and rental of snorkel and fins
Sorry, I don't remember what the entry fee is.
Posted By: snorkelgirl Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 11/02/06 01:39 PM
I think I paid $35 US which included the guide, ride and park fee. Well worth it!! You'll get both Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley on that 1/2 day trip.

The snorkel gear rental is about $7 US from one of the dive shops on the pier.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 11/02/06 06:00 PM
blue hole is for diving, too deep to snorkel. also a bit far from the island, i think. hol chan is great. for a little adreneline, check out shark ray alley. you will always remember both! guaranteed.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 11/02/06 08:44 PM
I've talked to people who snorkled Blue Hole. It's a long boatride out but they said the experience was wonderful.
Posted By: J DOG Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 11/02/06 09:01 PM
A typical trip to Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley is between $25-40 us.+ park fee of $10 & lasts about 2-3 hrs.
Yes you can snorkel the Blue Hole, I'm a Diver but have snorkeled around the outside perimiter the last few times to spend more quality time on the other 2 dive sites at Half Moon Caye Wall.
It is a long boat ride(about 2 hrs.) and a bit expensive.
Amigos Del Mar charges $250us for divers($40 park fee incl.) & 185 for snorklers.
Mostly divers take this trip but I have seen a few snorklers.
Agree with Law this is a wonderful trip, you have lunch on Half moon Caye & get to see the red Footed Booby Birds up close.
The 3rd. site is called The Aquarium & I have never seen so many fish in one place.
It's a all day trip, leave at sun rise & return just before sunset.
It's a pricless experience.
I always agree with Law because she's always right!! Well most of the time anyway!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 11/02/06 10:43 PM
J Dog, your weekly check is in the mail. wink
Posted By: Bobber Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 11/02/06 10:47 PM
And red footed boobies taste just like chicken :rolleyes:
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 11/02/06 11:30 PM
Good Friend Bobber, you're not rolling those eyes at me, right? :p :p laugh
Posted By: PalapaBob Re: Snorkeling Sites? - 11/02/06 11:36 PM
I think they taste like iguanas.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board