AmbergrisCaye.com Home

computer programs

Posted By: tacogirl

computer programs - 11/05/06 01:19 AM

I was wondering if anyone had a copy of microsoft office or microsoft works.

I am one of those who needs spell check.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:22 AM

for now you can use this until you get it.
cut and paste your text here.

http://www.spellcheck.net/

My friend who is one of the computer guys here probably sells copies, his copies of everything are extremly well prices and reasonable. I will send him a message.
Posted By: Pam&Dave

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:06 AM

Thanks Keli smile

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:07 AM

sure thing! glad it helped someone else too!
Keli
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:11 AM

Keli, I'm just curious. Are the "copies" legit or are they pirated? Pirating is illegal, even if done in another country and it costs us all money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement_of_software

Of course this would not apply if your friend has purchased copyright privileges.

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:25 AM

you just asked me this in a PM. I thought today you even said you now think it is best we don't talk on the board?

I will answer your question again since you asked and I don't like to ignore questions if I can answer.

No clue if they are legit or not. It is not my concern. That is between the computer man and the person who wants to purchase, I don't sell and was answering Taco's question...she asked for a "copy." I assume not considering nothing in this town is legit for dvds and cds.

Translvania Tech (the movie rental store) sells all their movies copied and bootleg with their name on it.

The CD stores are all copied cds too and put their names and copied covers from the orginals on them. Not my concern, fortunately not my area of business and just letting her know if she wants a copy. All throughout the city you find this too.

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:30 AM

Actually I posted after the PM so that I could post the link and maybe people would think twice. Any way you characterize it, it's stealing. That should be everyone's concern and I'm surprised you would be a part of enabling people to engage in criminal activity.

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:35 AM

You are right. I never said it was not stealing or right! I answered her question as we have no way to get that here.

All your friends here engage in this behavior as every person who rents DVDs here, purchases CDs here, etc have no choice. We do not have real copies here.

We are going to bed. Law, let it go. You keep starting up new arguements and I am not agueing, I agree!! I answered her question on how to get the copy. All she would have had to do is ask in town and anyone who lives here would have said the same.
Posted By: Pam&Dave

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:41 AM

Good night Keli - Thanks again!

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:46 AM

It's okay, just another area where we have a different viewpoint. No hard feelings.
Pam, I'm surprised you approve as well, what with your legal training and all. I'm always amazed that people think theft is somehow justifiable. Is there anything else on the island where lack of easy access justifies stealing?

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:47 AM

no difference in viewpoint, if you read what I wrote I said I agree.

All she would have had to do is ask in town and anyone who lives here would have said the same. No one said it was justifiable.

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:52 AM

oh, ok
Posted By: seashell

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 06:35 AM

Kzk, that K has got to go. I think I'm going to have an epileptic fit!
Posted By: Now Danny

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 10:48 AM

Let the chips fall where they may.

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 12:22 PM

corn or potato?
Posted By: Nova

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 12:46 PM

I think he means computer chips!?! wink

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 01:09 PM

Really?

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 02:42 PM

Thanks for all your replies on this.

I have to say if you know me well I am a very honest person and do my best to live that way daily.

We have a membership at local video store (as a few of you might) and they are very nice people always treated us well.

K and Law I do agree with you both and I thank you for the information.
Posted By: dabunk

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 02:44 PM

Let see now, Microsofts new Vista program (replacing XP as we speak) per their "rules" can only be installed on one computer. If your hard drive fails, you as the legal owner of that software, cannot reinstall it on your own computer. You will be required to buy a whole new OS license. Can you spell legal "rape" another way???
Posted By: SimonB

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 02:56 PM

Legally it's wrong, morally it's wrong but when no one has legal copies for sale on the island or you have to pay $800 or $900BZ for a legal copy on the mainland (if you can find one) it doesn't leave you with many options.

Even in the US it costs about $300 for a copy of Office. For someone working minimum wage and who has managed to save up for a used computer they now have to work 60 hours just for one piece of software. Is it any wonder that piracy is prevalent?

I'd be willing to bet that even those who are most adamant about not pirating have had at least one piece of pirated software on one of their computers at one time. Ever buy a used computer with software loaded? Ever load software on more than one computer without checking the EULA to see if it was legal to do so?

If the software companies dropped prices to a realistic and affordable level piracy would drop as well (but never end.)

Music is a big issue down here as availability of the type that I listen to is next to zero. I had little success in Cancun or Chetumal either. Most online retailers won't ship CD's, DVD's or software to Belize so downloads are the only answer.

It's easy to say you shouldn't pirate when you can walk to the corner store and buy what you need (if you can afford it) but when you have no other option at the fault of the manufacturer then...
Posted By: DitchDocDiver

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:05 PM

There are pleanty of lower cost programs if $$ is a problem. How about free and legal?

http://www.google.com/google-d-s/tour1.html

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:27 PM

Simon, I understand what you are saying completely, including the difficulties presented on the island. I just don't agree that it justifies stealing.
What other product would you apply these arguments to?
Sounds like good tuna is difficult to find and expensive when it is available. Does that then justify pocketing a can or two next time you're in the mood for it?
Your argument almost makes it seem there simply are no other options. There are; they may be more difficult and the results not quite as desireable, but it beats stealing.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:34 PM

That's a step in the right direction. Unfortunately I was unable to upload my order form as a test as it's too big. Will try something else later.
Posted By: Adman

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:40 PM

Here is an idea for you. there is a FREE office suite called Open Office. this is produced by Sun Microsystems and it is great!!!!

Here is a link where you can download your
FREE copy. http://www.openoffice.org/

You will need a good connection...it is 93mg. This is very similar to Microsoft Office but in some ways better. It has word Processing, Spreadsheets, database, presentation and more. Everything is compatible with Office files. This is a wonderful program and most people do not know about it and pay money to Bill Gates.

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:44 PM

DitchDocDiver and Adman - thanks for providing some viable, legal alternatives!
Posted By: San Pedro Daily

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:45 PM

Bloody lawyers...Shakespeare had the right idea!

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:45 PM

sorry about the awful typing....I am not totally awake! The product is "Open Office"

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:47 PM

The people who write software have a right to make money....I have written computer code and it is very difficult! We would not steal a loaf of bread from the corner store...so why steal from the software writers? Especially when I have given you a FREE, LEGAL alternative.

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:53 PM

Many here complain about BTL and have no problem using Skype, but it is illegal in Belize. And if Adman and Law do not use these programs, my hat is off to them. But unfortunately many hold high standards in one area and ignore it in others.

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:55 PM

Jesse/whether, please tell us which of your many fine products or services you would like to have stolen.
Why am I not even marginally surprised you agree with the line spoken by a common thief in Shakespeare's Henry VI?

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 04:59 PM

dabunk, are you arguing that the hypocrisy of some serves as adequate justification for the criminal behavior of others?
I wonder if I can use that one in my next trial. :rolleyes:

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:09 PM

Dabunk....I do not use Skype. I am not a perfect person...but I try like heck to do what I know is right. What bothers me is that many people seem to have ethics only when it is convenient. That is not how it works in my opinion. Fyi...I am not a lawyer or a software writer.

I guess the "Golden Rule" applies here....I don't like people stealing from me...so why should I steal from software companies?

By the way... I am also known as Ozarksdiver on this thread....but I screwed up and managed to create two identities.

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 05:15 PM

Wow! Now there is some integrity.
Well done. smile

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 06:42 PM

I am speaking of personal integrity, which as I believe is the way Adman took it. I congratulate him, as hypocrasy is the norm today, as in situational ethics (what is right for me is not necessarily right for you)

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 07:23 PM

By the way, back to the subject of software. Sun Microsystems encourages the users of Open Office to distribute it to others. Find someone on the island with a fast connection and download this...and give it all of your friends on the island...LEGALLY.

I would not suggest using Microsoft Works. It is a nice program....but most programs will not open these documents.

You might say the entire reason for this software being free has to do with a very long feud between Sun and Bill Gates. Sun is trying to damage Microsoft's profits by giving away Software for free.

I will gladly bring copies of this software to the island when I come down March 3. Please pm me if you want a copy.
Posted By: DitchDocDiver

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Adman:
By the way, back to the subject of software. Sun Microsystems encourages the users of Open Office to distribute it to others. Find someone on the island with a fast connection and download this...and give it all of your friends on the island...LEGALLY.

I would not suggest using Microsoft Works. It is a nice program....but most programs will not open these documents.

You might say the entire reason for this software being free has to do with a very long feud between Sun and Bill Gates. Sun is trying to damage Microsoft's profits by giving away Software for free.

I will gladly bring copies of this software to the island when I come down March 3. Please pm me if you want a copy.
Adman, you don't have the PM option turned on with this account...just a FYI

Not to upstage Adman, but I'll bring copies for anyone that wants it Dec 21st... Just in time for Christmas! PM me and we will work out the details.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 09:04 PM

Oh Guys, Don't forget to pay the duties to customs when you bring the copies into Belize. G.O.B. want's their $$ even if you are giving it away for free!!

Re: computer programs - 11/05/06 10:08 PM

Thanks Ditch Doc....did not realize my pm got switched off. I am glad you can get copies to San Pedro sooner...no offense taken here.

2Miles...paying duties to customs is based on the value of a product. This product is not sold by the manufacturer...it is given away. Should the GOB look at it differently I will gladly pay the duties to customs. I guess I will also have the cost of my cd's.....which is approximately ten cents each.

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 01:39 AM

dabunk - since when has Skype been illegal in Belize?

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 02:10 AM

If you are using BTL lines it is, according to them and Ralph.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 01:41 PM

Hey guys - SOME OF US ARE IN BELIZE (not the US!!) As big as the US is, it's laws do not entend beyond it's boarders.

Of course current events show that when the US decides something somewhere else is "illegal" there is a tendency to send in the troops - watch out Simon, the 101st Airborne is on it's way to make your computer safe for democracy!

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 01:47 PM

No offense, Diane, but you are incorrect. Copyright laws DO apply internationally. And stealing is stealing, no matter where you do it.

On the other hand I do agree the American govt. is bizarre in its interference beyond its own boarders.

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 02:06 PM

And Belize, at least on the books, honors US copyright laws. Many countries do not. Coluntries such as India and China, do not and thus they market their own drugs and such, violating US copyright and patents. Does not bother them at all. Belize gives lip service to it, but does not enforce it at all. There is nothing but pirated software and good available. US has gone way overboard in my opinion, but it is the law, and it is enforced sometimes.
Posted By: JZB

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 02:39 PM

Belize has enough trouble trying to enforce its own laws, nevermind the laws of other countries. There are far more serious acts being committed in this country than stealing from multibillion dollar international companies. I'm not saying its right, but does Microsoft always play by the rules?
Posted By: Caye Connect

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 02:58 PM

Stealing Software, DVDs, CDs, Video Games etc happens all the time in Belize. Sure, legit copies are not widely available, but we should recognize that it is stealing. So if you are okay with theft, then so be it.

Skype, on the other hand, is LEGAL in Belize. There has never been any specific legislation preventing the use of voice/video transmission on IP lines in Belize. Additionally, the PUC did release guidelines in June 2006, albiet totally ridiculous and unenforcable, that SPECIFICALLY ALLOW SKYPE and any software that connects PCs for voice/video communication. BTL has ignored these guidelines, plain and simple.

BTL themselves use inexpensive VoIP interconnects to facilitate almost ALL international calls, and they have extensively deployed VoIP within their own retail network. Just look at the Mitel IP phones on the desk of the BTL office next time you go to pay your bill.

They just want to make sure that YOU cannot use it. Pathetic.

http://www.bfic.org
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 03:21 PM

Hola Alex!
Posted By: Scuba-John

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 05:08 PM

Software, Music, Movies. It is true that US law does not extend beyond it borders but lets say that I like the design of your house. One puts elevations and a few pictures of in progress work in a public forum. Keep in mind that you paid and personally worked with the architect and put your own “touches” on the work, and are also going to be selling this house. Under the present theme it would be just find to take that work and produce a replicas, and sell it. Someone else for their profit is now selling ones imagination and intellectual ideas. Is that ok?

There are far more serious acts being commited but as a root cause: Is it the basic line the it is ok to steal because it cost to much, cant get a real copy, the only have conterfit, or everyone else is doing it so why not, wait it ok because they are making piles of bling bling its ok.

For every design, program or operation they are people just like you that go to work, program, design or run. They have dogs, kids, people that depend on them, no matter how you stack justifications.
Posted By: Scuba-John

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 05:29 PM

Ethics starts at home.

http://osdir.com/
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Adman:

2Miles...paying duties to customs is based on the value of a product. This product is not sold by the manufacturer...it is given away. Should the GOB look at it differently I will gladly pay the duties to customs. I guess I will also have the cost of my cd's.....which is approximately ten cents each.
GOB will certainly charge duty.

If you bring in books and school supplies, and even medical supplies that were donated and being given away for free, import duties still apply.

Software is probably not considered a "humanitarian" need so chances are duties will apply.
confused

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 06:21 PM

We brought school supplies in and showed them and they did not charge us duty on them, which was nice because we already got hit with overweight in Toronto.
Posted By: ChrisW

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 06:31 PM

Way more money has been stolen legally by those who make the laws then will ever be stolen by those that have to obey them. But I sleep better at night just knowing that big business and politicians are doing it the legal way. :rolleyes:

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 07:13 PM

Amanda and Tacogirl...thank you for the valuable insights into customs. My offer still stands and I would be happy to bring this software down.

I just deleted my earlier post because I was afraid it could have been interpreted in a way that I had not intended. My apologies if I offended anyone. I am not trying to judge people...I am only trying to offer ideas.
Posted By: San Pedro Daily

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 08:14 PM

Should copying be a right?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2006/10/061031_copyright.shtml
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: computer programs - 11/06/06 09:46 PM

Adman, I was being sarcastic about the GOB collecting duties on just about everything brought into Belize. I have read here that some people have paid duty on the shipping charges for items sent to Belize. We do bring donated supplies for SAGA etc.with us every time we visit. But have been lucky to avoid duties when we explained where the items were going to (And did not try to hide them). We also have paid excess and overweight baggage charges to the airlines for donated items but it is well worth it as it is very hard to get some of the items in belize.
Posted By: CarribeanSunSeeker

Re: computer programs - 11/08/06 05:06 PM

Dabunk, "Let see now, Microsofts new Vista program (replacing XP as we speak) per their "rules" can only be installed on one computer. If your hard drive fails, you as the legal owner of that software, cannot reinstall it on your own computer. You will be required to buy a whole new OS license. Can you spell legal "rape" another way???"

This is not true. If you have an OEM version of VISTA (ships with the computer) you may not copy it to another computer but you can replace the O/S on a new hard drive on the same system.
Recent controversy has been over your rights to copy the "retail version" (ususally bought in a store or online or volume licensing) to another computer if you erase it from the original computer. The license agreement said that it could only be done once. However, after user feedback, Microsoft changed its agreement (EULA) and now will allow you to copy it to a different computer as often as you require as long as you only use it on only one computer.
The significant change is that if your VISTA is not recognized by Microsoft as a genuine version, it will stop working after allowing you a period of time to get a genuine copy or work with them to show that it is genuine. Currently Windows XP will continue to work if it is not recognized as genuine but updates will not be allowed. I expect that Office 2007 will also have similar protections. If you are using "copied" software, you may need to learn Open Office or another program because soon copies of Microsoft products will not work on your computers.
Posted By: Caye Connect

Re: computer programs - 11/08/06 05:25 PM

Ahhh, the good ol' "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation". Luckily it took the hacker community about 2 seconds to release a crack for the XP version. I predict the Vista crack will come out even quicker.
Posted By: CarribeanSunSeeker

Re: computer programs - 11/08/06 05:32 PM

Another way to access word processing, spell check, and spreadsheets for free is a new service called Google Docs and Spreadsheets. http://docs.google.com/
It will read Word or Open Office docs.
Posted By: apache1048

Re: computer programs - 11/08/06 05:43 PM

OpenOffice is fully compatible with MS office and allows you to save in the various file formats which are associated with MS programs. With MS and Novell (owners of Suse Linux) now in a 'partnership' this looks likely to continue.

If you want a truly free setup use Linux, there are may flavours - I prefer Suse but that is an opinion. It used to be a techies tool but now it's very friendly and easy to use. It can be downloaded for free. Support and regular updates can be got for $50 but that is FAR cheaper than XP or Vista. Also the spyware, viruses etc etc. which plague windows users are much less prevelant on Linux.

If you can get past the market speak - http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/ gives you a good idea. Click on view demo.

The disadvantages - well, it's not for games and there is a slight learning curve but if you want mainly office tools and email - go Linux.

Geek speak over. We'll be down in 10 days.....WooHoo!!!

Re: computer programs - 11/08/06 09:24 PM

Adman I am interested but will most likely have something by the time you come.

We can chat closer to time maybe and see.

Peace
Posted By: Bearfoot Gibby

Re: computer programs - 11/13/06 06:46 PM

...."As big as the US is, it's laws do not entend beyond it's boarders.".... "On the other hand I do agree the American govt. is bizarre in its interference beyond its own boarders...."

Should Boarders confused about Borders, be legal?

Re: computer programs - 11/13/06 06:48 PM

Certainly not. Could you check in a little more often to keep us in line? laugh
Posted By: Bearfoot Gibby

Re: computer programs - 11/13/06 07:02 PM

Eye wood cheque Moor butt halve know thyme two. cool

Re: computer programs - 11/13/06 07:11 PM

i c, two bad four wee
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board