AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: tacogirl Christmas present drive - 11/12/06 04:34 PM
We are organizing a Christmas party for the kids at Holy Cross school on December 15th.

smile So far there are almost equal number of boys and girls - about 55 of each if everyone is present smile

Our goal to get a Christmas stocking for each child and have small toys and some candies as filler.

We would also like to serve cookies and juice that afternoon.

All help, ideas and well wishes are greatly appreciated laugh

tacogirl & tacoboy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Christmas present drive - 11/12/06 04:59 PM
tacogirl,
post "particulars" when you have them!
Posted By: Nova Re: Christmas present drive - 11/12/06 05:32 PM
For those of you in the US and Canada, hows about rounding up some of your co-workers and making this your Christmas project! smile
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Christmas present drive - 11/12/06 09:18 PM
my daughter and I have collected about 25 new stuffed animals, looking for just such a project.
Let us know where to send them so they will be there in time.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Christmas present drive - 11/12/06 09:39 PM
Wonderful tinkerbell, Rykat, Novascotianuts and all who are responding to this post. I will pm you mailin addy.

Do you have aproximate size of the stuffed animals incase someone else would like to help in that area with similar toy? (does not nessarily have to me a stuffed animal)

We are trying to make all the stockings similar in respect to what each child gets so there will be no hard feelings.

We also plan to decorate for the kids as well the night before so it will be a surprise.
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Christmas present drive - 11/12/06 10:14 PM
Tacogirl,
We just counted and we have 18 new stuffed toys various creatures(some bears,dogs etc) , and sizes with some duplicated. They are from 7" to 13 ". Will try to find some more before I get the package ready.
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Christmas present drive - 11/12/06 10:16 PM
Need a Santa Clause? I know someone that may fit the description.
Posted By: Nova Re: Christmas present drive - 11/12/06 10:50 PM
God love ya deacon!!!! Now there's the spirit!
Posted By: belizegial Re: Christmas present drive - 11/12/06 11:13 PM
tacogirl,I did the same thing last year for kids here in Dangriga.

Boarders were very kind in donating stuff.
Posted By: Adman Re: Christmas present drive - 11/12/06 11:18 PM
are you sure this will make it in time? I just sent a letter and it took 33 days to make it to San Pedro. I want to help....but am concerned about the mail between here and there.
Posted By: Nova Re: Christmas present drive - 11/13/06 12:17 AM
Adman - depends on how you send it. Ground can take weeks - even months, air is much quicker and courier is the quickest. Your cost of sending can be as much or more than the value of what you're sending. When you think, however, of where and to whom it's going, the issue of cost matters less. Tacogirl can likely give you details to expedite the process.
Posted By: Adman Re: Christmas present drive - 11/13/06 12:41 AM
tacogirl...please provide an address...I am going to try to send something this week.
Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Christmas present drive - 11/13/06 02:10 AM
We are bringing Christmas presents with us when we arrive on Dec 22. Some stuffed animals, and a bunch of other smaller type items. We ae open to ideas of where to drop them off in San pedro area. Our girls may want to play Santa Claus hand hand them direct to the kids.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Christmas present drive - 11/13/06 02:33 PM
Hi All thanks for your response and action.

Deacon as we chatted about last night at Pedro's we are so glad to have you as Santa. I am working on finding out time for you to arrive.

That is great Belizegail.

Adman I private messaged you my mailing addy. I know mail can be slow but as far as the school goes so far, the mail Gods have been hearing my prayers so much so that they are waving duty on donations or charging very little. Yay.

Thanks for the specs on the stuffed animals Tinkerbell, they sound perfect.

DitchDocDiver that is great, I am sure you will find some wonderful kids to give the presents too, You could always give them out directly or maybe to the library if they are still open at that time.

If anyone is coming down and has room in their suitcases, I would love to make a dollar store order or 2.

Right now my main resources are this board and trying to find cheap bulk lots on ebay for smaller toy items.

We now need to get more mid size presents With Tinkerbelle's 18 that leaves 82 needed. I will find out about Christmas stockings later today a net friend in Colorado has offered to check for me.

I am confident we can totally pull this off with all your help so far I can imagine kids will have a nice Christmas party.

I almost forgot those of you who are here on that date Dec 15, are welcome to come and join the fun.

I will keep posting progress and what is needed along the way.
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: Christmas present drive - 11/13/06 04:11 PM
to anyone in the states...
There are these WONDERFUL stores, that i called "teachers stores" where teachers go to buy supplies. I used to go there to buy things when i was in HR, and you can get TONS TONS TONS of CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP toys kids LOVE!

just google teacher store and your area. OR, better yet, find a site you like, order online, have it shipped to you so you can bring or send down.

i'm talkin' like, $.25 a toy CHEAP....and they'll love it!

PLUS there are OOODLES AND OOOOOODLES of decorations.

this is a great site i've used many times...
http://www.ustoy.com/novelty/default.htm

PERHAPS....someone who is coming down can place an order, and we can all chip in and pay you a portion when you get here???
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Christmas present drive - 11/13/06 04:38 PM
what a great idea Lara

I looked at the site briefly saw some cool stuff, lots under small toy novelties and stocking stuffers.
Posted By: JeanH Re: Christmas present drive - 11/13/06 06:10 PM
There are several other mail order places for small novelty toys and stickers. Oriental Trading Company, Medibadge, and Smile Makers are the ones we use for prizes at the pediatric clinic where I work. If you order something and get on their mailing lists, they have good sales and lots of 'free shipping' deals.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Christmas present drive - 11/14/06 01:45 AM
JeanH do you know if any of those places ship international?
Posted By: JeanH Re: Christmas present drive - 11/14/06 03:31 AM
I just looked at the websites, Smile Makers and Medibadge do international shipping, but they don't list any fees. I bet it isn't cheap.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Christmas present drive - 11/14/06 04:22 AM
That is the hard part the cost.

I am still looking at some things on ebay as I find it easy to figure shipping there and if people sell international.

These sites have some great stuff on them though.

I wish the dollar store fairy would come when we are sleeping and leave us a big bag of things laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Christmas present drive - 11/14/06 04:26 AM
tacogirl, do you know what the fastest, most reliable shipping method is? Might be able to get some stuff out if the shipping isn't outrageous.

also, go back to the best beaches thread - I left a question there for you. Thanks! smile
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Christmas present drive - 11/14/06 02:12 PM
Shipping is usually pretty outrageous. Best to ask people to bring stuff down and send it to them in advance, if possible.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Christmas present drive - 11/14/06 02:23 PM
Hi Law

I have only dealt with regular us post so far.

I am an ebay shopper so I can find out ahead if shipping is reasonable before buying.

Light items like stickers and small toys are reasonable cheap to send though.

True Barbara.

Anyone coming down care to bring some stuff for Holy Cross Kids christmas?
Posted By: Nova Re: Christmas present drive - 11/14/06 03:10 PM
Just a thought...it would save a lot of time and money if those going before Christmas could also take items donated by those not able to go but interested in helping. It's much cheaper to mail things within the country rather than internationally - not to mention a lot quicker.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Christmas present drive - 11/14/06 03:20 PM
thanks tacogirl, the suggestion about sending with others makes sense. I've carried stuff back and forth for other people and it's really not a problem.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Christmas present drive - 11/14/06 04:21 PM
Yw Law

I think many people share that idea to send with people and it is always a good way to go if it works out.

At this point I am up to my eyeballs in glitter glue making small cards for the stockings we do not have yet and just praying it will all come together in time.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Christmas present drive - 11/14/06 05:19 PM
Hi all, I just got word from a net friend in Australia that he sent a package today....

I sent a parcel today containing 150 balloons some stickers 31 bookmarks and a few party hats.

Hoping we can give these kids a Christmas party to remember.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Christmas present drive - 11/15/06 01:36 AM
After a nice lunch with the girls, I am making an executive decision.

I am going to order a bunch of stuff from this website and hopefully a few people might be willing to pitch in.

http://sav-on-closeouts.com/

This makes it simple and easy.

For those of you who were planning to send stuff please continue on or join in this new plan if you like. smile
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: Christmas present drive - 11/15/06 03:08 PM
Taco,
when you have a total for your order, please post it. I will give you money once you know the total. Will you have a paypal account or something so people can give you some dough re mi for the fa la la? surely our kind, generous, handsome and lovely fellow boarders can spare some cha cha ching!

Now, WHO THE HELL IS COMING DOWN HERE BFORE THE 15th of DECEMBER?????? SOMEONE must be coming down!

The things you will need to bring will only take up a small portion of your suitcase. Taco will have the stuff shipped directly to you to bring down.

Capt Jeff, can you bring some stuff?

ANYONE ELSE? HELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OUT THERE!
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: Christmas present drive - 11/15/06 03:09 PM
by the way, while mail seems like a good idea, it just pains me to spend a couple $100 US to get small boxes down here in time for the party which is only one month away.

please please please??? who's comin?
Posted By: crayonlover06 Re: Christmas present drive - 11/15/06 10:51 PM
Too bad I will be down second weekend in Jan. I'm so sorry that I can't make it sooner!
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Christmas present drive - 11/16/06 12:09 AM
The cost from the website I posted will be 100 for the stuff and $50 for shipping it here.

We still need more medium sized toys to match what Tinkerbelle sent.

As for those of you who were thinking to send something, I now have information as to an address you can send to in the states ( it needs to get there before Dec 3rd) please pm me for details on that.

It is slowly coming together.

Anyone feel like baking some Christmas cookies lol??
Posted By: Bob K Re: Christmas present drive - 11/16/06 01:07 AM
I am coming down in a few days and could bring school supplies, etc. Let me know what you would like.
Posted By: belizegial Re: Christmas present drive - 11/16/06 01:22 AM
Bob K

As you'll be down in a few days time, will you be able to pick something up for me?

I would certainly re-imburse.

let me know.
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: Christmas present drive - 11/16/06 03:44 PM
i am willing to offer my house up for a cookie bake. frankly, i've never made 'em, so lets pick a date, and BAKE!

How about Tuesday, Dec 12. day or evening, doesnt matter to me.

KraZK, Taco, who else is here on the island? BOYS CAN BAKE TOO! Make it an event!

who's in?
Posted By: EllyMay Re: Christmas present drive - 11/20/06 11:04 PM
Tacogirl, just read your post, sounds fun! We will be in SP on Dec.1st if items would arrive here on time, would be oh so happy to help.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Christmas present drive - 11/20/06 11:29 PM
HI EllyMay Thanks for your offer.

The issue on hand is now the place I have chosen to order from wants mailing address and credit card address to match. If this is not the case they want a money order instead, so trying to some how sort all that out.

(we did place an order finally and I am hoping all goes well and it ends up here at least a few days before the party so I have time to get it all ready. Any prayers on this welcome)

Lara I am not much of a cookie baker but your offer is great so count me in. I am sure we can find a few easy to make cookies.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Christmas present drive - 11/20/06 11:57 PM
I am in, forsure, will have fun with you, tacogirl and tacoboy. smile
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Christmas present drive - 11/21/06 12:32 AM
then again always fun with you three!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board