AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: tacogirl Update on Holy Cross present drive - 11/27/06 08:32 PM
Hi All

Our small apartment is slowly turning into Santa's work shop.

If you are able to help out, this is a good cause. we need to see that all the kids at the school get a mid sized present. So if you are coming down, going to the mainland or see a toy here on the island that would be suitable, lets make this a Christmas to remember for kids who need it.

We have 30 mid sized toys as of right now, and still need 92 (12 more special needs kids have been added and the clock is ticking)

Big thanks for the toys. It is really starting to come together for the Holy Cross kids Christmas party on December 15 2006.

Last week we ran into kwalkpt at super buy, she was buying enough candy canes for all the kids and sent them home with us. yay

We met Bob K and his wife yesterday at BC's and they gave us 2 bags of 10 lovely stuffed toys.

The mail Gods have also been good to us today...

Tinkerbelle's box of 20 stuffed animals arrived and was a welcome sight.

As was the Christmas stockings and small toys we ordered from save on close outs.

A few more board members have sent stuff to the states and Kwalkpt is going to bring it back with her.

(on a side note the donation containers that
RI Beth bought for us also came)

Lara is having a cookie baking party in December so we can have some snacks for the party (store bought cookies are also welcome for those who want to contribute but are not into baking)

Deacon is our Santa. (We may still need help on Santa Costume if anyone has some red stuff handy.)

Anyone welcome to come to the party, please let me know in advance so I have an idea of numbers.

Thanks
Tacogirl & Tacoboy
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 11/28/06 02:52 PM
Lara, when is the cookie party??
TQ and all
Would LOVE to have the cookie party, but no one but us three responded! Need more elves to make cookies for all those kiddies...

who else is interested?
this is about holy cross school but not about the present drive. holy cross school's location is listed as san mateo, but it's just north of the cut, is that a different municipality than san pedro?
Posted By: Marty Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 11/29/06 09:31 AM
no, just different area of town
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 11/30/06 01:56 AM
We were up there today and saw the new buildings.

Anyone planning to come for the Christmas party?
Posted By: shuffles Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 11/30/06 02:47 AM
Will come for cookie baking.......just tell me when and where...and what to bring....
Posted By: domjo Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 11/30/06 03:31 AM
Hi,
I would love to help out Holy Cross in anyway I can. I am going to be in AC from Dec 2-9. I can help make or bring cookies(hopefully they won't be crumbs)Also... I want to bring a few things down for the teachers/school if that would be OK. It would be hard for me to bring many "presents" but maybe teaching supplies instead which are always needed. I taught 1 st grade for 10 years and would love the opportunity to visit the school one day when I am in town. Is this possible? I also have so many baby/toddler clothes I would love to donate. New and used. I am willing to carry an extra suitcase to get it there if you could let me know the best place to deliver it to be sure it lands in the hands of Moms and Dads who need them most. I leave in two days so let me know as soon as you can. Thanks!
thanks marty
domjo, talk to francis wilson ([email protected]) at the school. as to what to bring, children's multivitamins (you can bring alot without worrying about weight limits on your luggage), the school's enrollment is about 100 students.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 11/30/06 04:08 PM
Domjo

Your offer is totally appreciated.

Stuff for the teachers is great and we have not really included them in the party present wise so that might not be a bad idea to try and have a little something for each of them.

I can help you on the baby toddler clothes for getting them delivered. What I would do on that is I would talk to Francis as most likely some of the school kids families could use them.

We just saw Francis yesterday and dropped off some things. Some stuff like vitamins tropicalsmitty mentioned are ongoing and you can't go wrong in bringing them.

The special ed buildings are almost finished and they will have 12 new students there so rough total now is 122 for kids.

Posted By: domjo Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 11/30/06 04:47 PM
Thanks. I sent an e-mail to Francis with my intentions so hopefully I hear from her at some point today. We leave tomorrow(YIPEE!) so that doesn't allow much time for correspondence and arrangements. Wish I thought of it sooner. I'll keep you posted. I'll go to Walmart tomorrow so if you think of any other necessities I can bring please let me know before then.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 11/30/06 05:38 PM
If you need any help Domjo just pm me, as i work directly with Francis and can always call her to relay any messages or questions from you if I cannot answer them myself.

She does check her email regularly but 24 h cutting it close lol.
Posted By: domjo Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 11/30/06 09:30 PM
Francis did get back to me. She gave meher number so I will call her and make the arrangements for drop off when I arrive.

thanks!
Posted By: DB Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 12/01/06 05:50 AM
Tropical Smitty,
I emailed Francis re: needs/list of items, meanwhile do you know if she/he has an id on this board?

We're heading down next week and can bring along a few items. Would like to know what they can use the most - vitamins noted.

Thanks,

DB
DB, i don't think so, but she promptly responds to e-mails
Posted By: domjo Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 12/01/06 04:04 PM
Hi,

Francis will get back to you via e-mail. She is so nice and grateful for anything anyone offers to donate. I also asked her about much needed items mainly regarding the teachers and this is what she said "Special needs of our teachers include broad tip markers for making posters, coloring books, math and early reading workbooks, and (of course) children's books K through 2." Hope that helps but I am sure she will contact you with other things. Have a great trip.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 12/01/06 07:08 PM
I saw Francis's name on the board as FrancisWilson, however she said herself she is much better for emails contact wise than navigating the board.

Db anything you bring will be great.

Aside from school supplies and such they also hand out small prizes to the kids as rewards so that is something to keep in mind for dollar store shopping.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 12/01/06 10:31 PM
Laurie, empty PM Box!
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 12/02/06 07:15 AM
Done Rykat.

smile
Posted By: kwalkpt Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 12/10/06 12:21 AM
Just want to thank Rykat for all the wonderful things that he sent down for the Christmas party. Was so shocked and pleased to see lots and lots of coloring books, nerf footballs, puppets, crayons, hair bows, stickers, and other great stuff.

Francis was smiling a big smile when I dropped it off and she wanted to make sure you knew how grateful Holy Cross is for toys!!!

Thanks
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Update on Holy Cross present drive - 12/11/06 03:39 AM
Yes cheers Rykat

Also to all who have helped, I did name names in the other thread that is long buried lol.

Peace
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board