AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Banana Beach vs Xanadu

Posted By: sandb

Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/19/02 01:59 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful source of info on AC.
We are celebrating two 50th birthdays on AC in December.
While being somewhat anal and having read all the messages we are still torn between Banana Beach and Xanadu.
???
thnx
Posted By: Johnboy

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/19/02 02:11 PM

We stayed next door to BB 2 weeks ago, used their pool ,& everybody that we talked to said they loved it....BB--hands-down..
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/19/02 02:21 PM

i have heard only positive things on xanadu as well.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/19/02 04:35 PM

I think they're both very good places.

Some differences:

* With the new addition, Banana Beach is much larger, with around 67 units. Believe Xanadu has 10, maybe 12, one-bedroom condo suites (units have lofts with an additional bed).

* Banana Beach is more traditional construction, reinforced concrete with a Mexican-influence style, especially the original building. Xanadu is unique in that is has dome construction with thatch roof.

* Banana Beach has a wider variety of rooms, from regular hotel rooms to four-bedroom suites (in the addition the hotel has the ability to combine several one-bedroom units into a single large suite). The majority of units at Banana Beach, however, are one-bedroom suites with a bedroom, kitchen/living area.

* Banana Beach has two pools, Xanadu one, but Banana Beach's are "courtyard" pools, inside the central patios.

* Xanadu is a little closer to town.

* Banana Beach's management and staff are top-notch; nothing wrong with Xanadu's either but Banana Beach is known for its professional and friendly staff.

* Xanadu throws in free use of bikes, canoes, etc. Banana Beach does not.

* Banana Beach has always been known for its superior value, and it's still a top value though prices may be a little higher or a little firmer than before, and Xanadu has been discounting some, so the prices may be closer.

* The beaches are similar. There's a low seawall right in front of Banana Beach and, if I remember correctly, not a seawall at Xanadu, but you can walk a few steps at Banana Beach and be on a beach without seawall.

* Depending on when you go, Banana Beach may have its on-site restaurant open, but in any case there are plenty of good restaurants on the island.

Believe in my guide to the island, San Pedro Cool, we give Banana Beach four stars and Xanadu three and a half.

I'd be very happy at either, though I'm still a big fan of the second and third floor seafront corner suites at Banana Beach, and especially so when the old A/Cs are replaced with new units.

--Lan Sluder www.belizefirst.com
Posted By: o jackie

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/19/02 05:05 PM

Thanks Lan, YOU really eased my mind.I guess I made a good choice.
Jackie

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/20/02 05:55 PM

Posted By: B_b_f_b

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/25/02 11:39 PM

Banana Beach - I'm a regular now!!!! Hope to be there in November for my 4th time.
Posted By: GetMeOuttaHere!

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/30/02 10:29 PM

Hi, Sandb:
I will be blunt in order to emphasize the point I'm trying to make:
Stayed in Banana Beach: it's a glorified Howard Johnson's....really....not that there's anything wrong with that, just highly overrated, especially the front desk staff that collectively had the personalities of those who are heavily sedated, or victims of frontal lobotomies.....and we stayed there.
Xanadu: much, much prettier. The British couple who owns the place was kind enough to give me spf #30 that had been left in their front office by previous guests (I couldn't find any in any of the stores on the island). As the bottle was almost full, I offered them money, which they refused. Additionally, the thatched roofed condos had a real island feel, the pool was beautifully landscaped, and right on the beach - not a plain rectangle, enclosed in a courtyard like Banana Beach.
It is a comfortable walk to town from Xanadu, whereby the walk from BB was a schlep.
Xanadu has bicyles and kayaks, free of charge to their guests.
So, I would never again stay at Banana Beach, but when I go back to Ambergris, which I love, I will stay at either the Xanadu or the Banyan Bay, or, if I want to do the Jungle Jane thing, I'd even stay at the charmingly tiny Mata Rocks.
Happy double birthdays and I hope this helps.

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/31/02 12:55 AM

GetMeOuttaHere!
You could have waited til I was gone, to post that lovely Banana Beach report.
Jackie
Posted By: CMNate

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/31/02 02:43 AM

Don't worry Jackie, we don't need a thatched roof to know that we're on an island. Personally, I don't plan on spending that much time by the pool staring at the roof anyway. [Linked Image]
I'll have to see for myself.

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/31/02 10:27 PM

Jackie:
I'm really, really sorry about that. Careless of me not to have read the thread and paid attention to the dates....again, my apologies.
Not that it's any consolation, but it really was one of the best vacations I've ever had, and I'm sure it will be for you as well.

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 07/31/02 11:10 PM

Believe the people who own Xanadu are South African and more recently from Canada, not British (or at least not in recent times). And the thatch at Xanadu is on top of monolithic concrete and foam domes. Island style? Well, guess that depends on how you view the island.

My experience (over several years, not several days) with Tim's front-desk people at Banana Beach was quite different from that of "GetMeOutofHere" One of the staff, and I'll misspell her name if I put it here, is an American who has been on the island for years. She knows her stuff and has always been very helpful to me, going back to her days at Captain Morgan's.

Again, I think both are excellent places. I like them both a lot.

Again, if you want a really neat suite, just steps from the sea with balconies right on the beach, try the front seaview rooms in the "old" section of Banana Beach.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: JmHanna

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/01/02 03:59 AM

I aggree with Lan--again--yikes--this is getting scary.
Ms. Jackie from Banana Beach is an Angel in diguise. Everyones Mom.
The Pumpkin Patch is a little bizarre looking but nice folks own it and I am sure its excellent. From the sea it looks like bald monks with the ring of hair they have--sorry xanadu
Also------How can you not have an island feel when you are on an island 300 yards wide no matter where you are?
Go figure
Jim

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/03/02 12:42 AM

For the record: so much for the democracy of open forum of opinion....I received an email to my business email address from the owner of Banana Beach, objecting to my views!
Go figure....a little scarey...big brother is watching, no???
And he has my credit card number!!!
So make sure you only say nice things about the vendors who through commerce have access to your personal information!!!
Posted By: KC

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/03/02 06:32 AM

It does trouble me that people can't give honest views without being attacked. If someone asks "how is hotel A" and you have stayed there, and have an opinion, you should be able to state it without repercussions. The fact that BB e-mailed him does not reflect favorably on them, in my opinion. Bad stuff does happen! Even at good places, sometimes things go wrong and the experience isn't all good. Sometimes there is an explanation. If that is so, come here and explain your side if you feel the need.

Just my opinion. As long as someone isn't vile, nasty, and hateful in their criticism, I'll listen.

Kathy

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 08-02-2002).]
Posted By: seashell

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/03/02 08:30 AM

Geez, you got an email from BB?! That's just so wrong on every level, unless they were trying to offer you something to make you happier.

With all the great things I've heard about Tim and his staff and then to learn that they are emailing people that didn't love the place, really doesn't sit too well. So what did they say to you? Did they offer wishes that your next visit would be more enjoyable or did they give you heck for having stated your preference for another resort?

Come on there Tim, get a grip. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Shake it off and let it go.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/03/02 07:01 PM

gads, if an owner can't read something bad on the board and attempt to find out more and correct it, what the heck?

isn't trying to discover why a customer is unhappy and attempting to improve the situation the most important part of customer support?

geeze. thats how we won over many cherished customers in my 25 year restaurant career.
Posted By: JmHanna

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/04/02 03:28 AM

I find it hard to believe that Tim would do that.
It may have been his computer but I doubt that he would even have the time or the lack of business sense to send a recent guest a nastygram unless there was or is more to the story that what we read here. I smell sour grapes.

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/04/02 07:33 AM

Sorry Marty, my post didn't represent what I meant very well. I did mean that it is OK for BB to contact the guy to find out what's what, or to offer remedy but if it was a "nastygram", then I still think that's not cool. However, with everything I've heard about and know about Tim myself, I find it hard to believe he sent a nastygram. Therefore, I was just trying to get a better explanation than that we'd been left with.

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/04/02 11:01 AM

I have only had conversations with Tim through email.I asked about 10 questions a day and he was very prompt with his replies.I have also talked with the staff, through email and they were very prompt and nice. I will be there on Wednesday for three weeks and I have no second thoughts on staying there. I told him that I just had foot surgery and he was willing to accomadate me anyway possible. But Marty is right, what kind of business man would he be, if he did not find out what the problem was. Especialy if so many people read the board and make there decisions from that. Just my two cents.
Jackie
Posted By: Banana Beach

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/04/02 07:17 PM

Good afternoon all,

Yes I did email GetMeOuttaHere! direct. GetMeOuttaHere! was a direct booking and I have all direct booking email on file. GetMeOuttaHere! never once emailed me after their visit or contacted me during their visit to lodge any sort of a complaint.

I have watched GetMeOuttaHere! post negative posting after negative posting on the message board about Banana Beach. In one instance someone was trying to contact Banana Beach as they were having trouble getting the fax to go through and GetMeOuttaHere! placed a posting behind this requesting this person to email them direct at a yahoo address. I don't know for sure but I don't think GetMeOuttaHere! intended to help this person get in contact with Banana Beach...

I accepted all of these negative postings until the posting came along stating and I quote "the front desk staff that collectively had the personalities of those who are heavily sedated, or victims of frontal lobotomies.....and we stayed there" was made. At this point folks I emailed GetMeOuttaHere! direct. To satisfy everyone's curiosity I will now post my private email and GetMeOuttaHere!'s reply. I will modify only GetMeOuttaHere!'s identity.

Good evening GetMeOuttaHere!,

It seems that you have some personal vendetta or "axe to grind" against Banana Beach, my staff and possibly me?? If you had any problems while you stayed with us I certainly would have appreciated an email from you concerning any problems. You received a super rate of $86 U.S. per night including all tax and not even and extra charge for your third person. I don't know if you checked prices of other resorts while you were here but if you did I think you should be able to see that you received excellent value for money spent.

I have been in the hotel business now for going on 9 years on Ambergris Caye. I am very proud of my employees and our establishments. We all work to make our guests happy and comfortable. In following your chain of attacks on Banana Beach I am not certain what was really the matter. Please take into consideration that we are not a "corporate" hotel chain and everyone here is always striving to make our guests stay a pleasant one.

I hope that emailing you direct is not taken offensively. I prefer to stay off the message boards. Please take into consideration that we are all people who are trying our best and have invested a lot of blood, sweat and tears. There are no publicly owned resorts here on Ambergris Caye and it personally hurts real people when remarks such as the ones below are posted on a public forum:

Reneet: just got back from Banana Beach, and yes, they have a pool, but if you walk out of your hotel, cross the "beach" heading for the water, you'll break you're ankle!
Stay at either Mata Rocks (nice, clean, and inexpensive with great bar, pretty little beach that graduates INTO THE WATER), or stay at Banyan Bay (which is 3 resorts closer to town, gorgeous, fabulous beach, nice rest., Rico's everyone mentions, but a bit pricier than Mata Rocks).
My friends and I felt that sunning ourselves on the Banana Beach Resort's "beach" was like laying on someone's terrace....the wall there really detracts from the "natural" beauty of a tropical isle....also, the incessant hammering next door (they're adding on the northside) was just a little less distracting than a screaming baby with gas pains.
Hope this helps....when I go back with money, we'll stay at Banyan Bay (our favorite), but if we're on a budget, we'll stay at Mata Rocks. In any case, you'll have a great time, because the people of Belize couldn't be warmer or kinder.....LOVED IT!!!!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Reneet: Just got back and would like to email you privately if possible.
[email protected], and I'll write back to you.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
We tried every beach south of town, and think the beach at Banyan Bay rivals any in the Caribbean...none of those atrocious "sea walls" (like the one in front of Banana Beach), and they rake the seagrass every morning between 8 and 9 a.m.
Best beach south of the cut in my opinion and that of my travelling companions.
Hi, Sandb:
I will be blunt in order to emphasize the point I'm trying to make:
Stayed in Banana Beach: it's a glorified Howard Johnson's....really....not that there's anything wrong with that, just highly overrated, especially the front desk staff that collectively had the personalities of those who are heavily sedated, or victims of frontal lobotomies.....and we stayed there.
Xanadu: much, much prettier. The British couple who owns the place was kind enough to give me spf #30 that had been left in their front office by previous guests (I couldn't find any in any of the stores on the island). As the bottle was almost full, I offered them money, which they refused. Additionally, the thatched roofed condos had a real island feel, the pool was beautifully landscaped, and right on the beach - not a plain rectangle, enclosed in a courtyard like Banana Beach.
It is a comfortable walk to town from Xanadu, whereby the walk from BB was a schlep.
Xanadu has bicyles and kayaks, free of charge to their guests.
So, I would never again stay at Banana Beach, but when I go back to Ambergris, which I love, I will stay at either the Xanadu or the Banyan Bay, or, if I want to do the Jungle Jane thing, I'd even stay at the charmingly tiny Mata Rocks.
Happy double birthdays and I hope this helps.

With Regards,

Tim Jeffers www.bananabeach.com

Following is GetMeOuttaHere!'s email reply back:

Jeff:
Competition is what makes it all happen: your business, as well as mine.
I am sorry you took my remarks personally....they weren't meant to hurt or offend any person (perhaps my comments about the belizean front desk staff were too strong, but we really didn't find them helpful AT ALL -- mostly indifferent at best, uniformed at their worst).
The message board is a democratic forum in which all voices may be heard....I merely exercised my right as a American Credit-Card-Carrying-Tourist to voice my opinions.
I believe that the overenthusiastic reviews of your resort on the message board led me to make a poor decision when trying to choose where to stay on A.C.

So my effort was to create a more balanced view of the resort choices on the lower section of A.C., and again, it's just my, and my travelling buddies, opinions. Hopefully, you can see my point.
If not, I suppose we're at an impasse, yet I wish you well.
Please, if you care to correspond with me further, contact me at XXXXXXXXXXXhotmail.com
Thank you, and best of luck,
GetMeOuttaHere!

If my email was too strong or taken as a nasty gram then I apologize... I could no longer hold back making a personal contact when the attack was made on our staff. Seawalls or sea grass is one thing but the people of Belize are another!

You all have fun now and please don't go too hard on me!

Thanks,

Tim
Posted By: Chris

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/04/02 11:22 PM

Well said, Tim.

Getmeouttahere: your posts are too full of venom to be simply the observations of an unhappy camper. It is obvious to any neutral reader that you DO have an axe to grind.

The new building at Banana Beach is now finished. That's how hotels appear....they have to get built.

Marty, this thread IS being paid for by the businesses of Ambergris Caye...I personally would like to see it smitten as gettmeouttahere's bile is so full of crap it needs a good pull through.

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/04/02 11:23 PM

Well said, Tim.

Getmeouttahere: your posts are too full of venom to be simply the observations of an unhappy camper. It is obvious to any neutral reader that you DO have an axe to grind.

The new building at Banana Beach is now finished. That's how hotels appear....they have to get built.

Marty, this thread IS being paid for by the businesses of Ambergris Caye...I personally would like to see it smitten as gettmeouttahere's bile is so full of crap it needs a good pull through.
Posted By: CMNate

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/05/02 12:03 AM

I'll just add my two cents. I have communicated with Tim (via email) also. He answered my questons even though he was out of the country at the time. He has been very helpful to me thus far and I will be arriving there on Friday for a short stay. I have read many postings on the boards about BB and have no reason to not to believe the positive ones (which seem to be all except the one listed in this thread).
I report my own opinion when I return next week.
Posted By: Sandcrab

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/05/02 08:08 AM

In my opinion, Tim Jeffers was well within his rights to contact "GetMeOuttaHere!". The offending post was both hurtful and insulting to his staff. It was a vile, nasty, and hateful message. Anyone who has stayed at BB knows how much the staff will go out of their way to help make your vacation a success.

I have stayed at BB several times and I can personally say that I could not have been treated more cordially. the staff was concerned, caring and extremely willing to please. They couldn't have done more, and they always did it with a smile.

This "Get............" poster is definitely using this board to purposely demean a well-run, and very popular resort and I resent it.

Tim has spent many years building his business by being a damn good hotelier, and has put in many years making sure that his staff was trained to an exceptional standard.

The popularity of Banana Beach and Coconuts Hotel didn't just happen... it took years and years of very hard work, and attention to detail that is rare in any country.

My hat's off to you Tim, and I want every one to know that I say, you have done well.

Jim

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/05/02 12:52 PM

Very well stated Tim, I to also forgot to add,that when I was making contact with Tim, he was in the states and was very prompt,considering. As for his staff, they were very informative and pleasant in there emails and phone conversations. I have no second thoughts about choosing Banana Beach and I have not even been there yet. With me also having foot surgery he is will to make any accomodation possible for me.
Thanks Tim and Staff.

[This message has been edited by o jackie (edited 08-05-2002).]
Posted By: sandb

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/05/02 04:56 PM

Having been the one to start all this, I don't know whether to apologize or simple express my gratitude.
Let me just say that, as a result of all your thoughts we have made our reservations at Banana Beach and look forward to meeting Tim and his staff. We anticipate a pleasant stay.
Thanks again one and all.
Happy Trails.

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/12/02 05:40 PM

Wow! Talk about being blasted. Unlike most of you, I stand by my convictions: Banana Beach was a below-satisfactory experience for myself and my travel mates at BB, and foolishly, I thought I had the right to voice that opinion on this "message board", which is, apparently, just another term for "Ambergris Caye Hotel Advertising".

Hope you all have a great time stroking one another, calling me names ("vile"...are you kidding me?), and generally giving me a ton of power....I mean, how could one person's opinion carry this much weight and merit this much rebuttal?
Thanks for the power.

Just to reiterate; this was not about hate, or as Tim indicated, a "vendetta", but was truly my way of trying to balance the scale, and to give my honest opinion based on my experience at BB. My writing style is laced w/wit and sarcasm, and if that offended some, then I am sorry. But I stand by what I've written.
Okay, enough....back to work, and best to all.

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/12/02 06:38 PM

GetMeOuttaHere:

You are wrong, none of your writings contain any wit whatsoever.

You're just a pathetic attention seeker.

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/12/02 06:53 PM

FYI: Someone just sent me this comment about Ambergris Caye and Banana Beach this morning. Because I do Fodor's and other guidebooks to Belize I get a good deal of mail, pro and con, about different places. I think this e-mail is fairly typical of the kinds of comments I get about Banana Beach and indeed about the island. There are a bunch of really good places to stay on Ambergris, places that offer good value, good management and a nice seaside location, and I think Banana Beach is one of them.

--Lan Sluder
Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide (new 4th edition coming this summer)
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
San Pedro Cool (the first and only visitor guide to Ambergris Caye)
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
UpClose Central America
Belize Book of Lists

>>

My family and I had a marvelous vacation on Ambergris Caye in June thanks to the information we obtained on your website. We followed all your advice and were totally satisfied with all aspects of the trip. We
loved Banana Beach--service was great, rooms were clean, air conditioning was good, location was perfect for us. Would definitely stay there again. Tim even refunded some money to us because the pool
was out of comission for 2 days of our stay. The desk at Banana Beach booked a fishing trip for us--very reasonable price--picked us up at our dock, cleaned our fish--had a terrific time.

Again--thanks so much for your good advice--hope to return there in the
future.

Carol W.<<
Posted By: B_b_f_b

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/12/02 09:04 PM

Hi Lan, here's a comment I would like you to include:

Went to Banana Beach for the 3rd time in less than 2 years, I have never been to a hotel where they treat you like family. EVERY person that worked at Banana Beach remembered my name from being there before. The staff did not even give me a hard time when I walked a beach dog out through the lobby and stuck him in a taxi, they simply smiled and told me to have a safe flight. These people were genuinely nice. Thank you so much Lan for your tips about San Pedro.

To Getmeoutofhere: Get out of here.

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/12/02 10:51 PM

Wow...does time pay you Becky? Is he your brother, Chris. Or is "Chris" really Tim (rumor I heard from someone who contacted me offline).
You guys are really nuts.

Because I had such a great vacation, I'm going to stay off this silly message board, before it tarnishes my memories of a terrific country.

I'll bet you guys voted for George W., too.
I must say, I really enjoyed getting a few of you idiots this worked up!
Oh, well....stroke away!

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/13/02 09:00 AM

Hey, you guys. Like I said, you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. If Getmeoutahere didn't enjoy his stay at Banana Beach he didn't enjoy his stay. So what?

One thing that I noticed noticed about his preference was that he liked staying with the ex-pats but didn't care for how he was treated by the locals. Personally I think that says a lot more about Getmeoutahere than it does about BB and/or Tim and his staff.

Now that said, what's the deal? Can't a person(s) have an opinion on a property that goes against the grain and express it? We don't have to agree with it or like it but surely he has the right to express it. Besides that, it is the *only* negative opinion that has *ever* been expressed about BB here or anywhere else that I have seen. I'm sure that BB has nothing to worry about with this one somewhat negative report. This whole thing has been blown up to be much worse by those trying to stifle Getoutahere (and/or call him names) than it ever would have been if it had just been left to lay there as the one and only dissenting opinion on such a fine resort run by such a fine guy as Tim and his good staff.
Posted By: Sandcrab

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/15/02 02:24 AM

My gawd, a New York bond trader fib? Nah, can't happen. Not in a million years. I for one believe everything he says.... Right!!!

Jim
Posted By: Seaislegal

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 08/22/02 07:32 PM

Everyone has different experiences where they stay. Getouttaheres may have not had the ideal one but if you compare that one negative review to the rest on these boards you will find them 99% positive in favor of Banana Beach. To be honest that was the first non-positive review I have seen.

I and a group of my friends stayed at BB in April of this year and just loved it. The small seawall didnt bother us in the least, it provided for a level beach for sunbathing at least and we took floats into the water and spent some time just floating there, signalling our boyfriends when we needed new Belikens! The rooms were immaculate and the view incredible. We loved having the kitchen and sitting area and heck.. they'd even deliver a case of Beliken to our fridge on request! We found the staff very helpful and friendly and enjoyed the resort so much that we are returning the first week in May next year and hopefully with the 10-16 of us again. We have two rooms re-booked already at least.. and the rest of our slacker friends will book later this year. Tim took in stride our multiple questions last year and was very helpful in accomodating us. So add my review to the postive ones.

Andrea in Atlanta
BB bound again May 3rd!
Posted By: greeneyes

Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu - 09/28/02 08:29 PM

sandb...I have been to AC many times and have stayed at various places over the years. In my opinion Xanadu is the very best. Ivan and Judy, the managers, are marvelous people and definately add to the overall enjoyment of this lovely property. I especially like the non resort atmosphere. It is more like having your own wee place in paradise. The pool is unique and the beach area very nice. Also the pier provides a marvelous place for evening cocktails. We love Xanadu and will return again in the future.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board