AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Axeman Poll Question about roads- TO ALL SEWER RATS - 12/25/06 05:13 PM
How many visitors would REALLY be willing to help pay for the roads. If you are willing, please include your feelings and comments on the extent of your willingness.

Please excuse my grammar...I missed a few classes.
Of course, I'd be willing to help.
Yeah I would, but that blacktop is gona get really HOT on the bare feet so I guess we'll have to start a shoe fund for the locals.
It will be coated with a sand coloured surface
There is a fishing village in Brazil that has addressed this issue successfully in the past. Buzios, in the state of Rio de Janiero, requires any improvement and/or structure to fit within the general concept of the 400 year old town. Parts of the central tourist district were being improved during our last visit and even the NEW streets were built with cobblestone pavers and an appropriate substrate. The town has decided collectively to employ a method that has proven to be effective for the climatic conditions and has had the courage to adhere to the decision. It is clear thinking that will preserve the ambience of that small enclave for years to come. Hopefully, San Pedro can achieve a similar result with dignity and cooperation that reflects the charm of a small fishing village on a small spit of land in the Carribean. JMHO

I agree with Silroman. I personally like the currently used cobblestones.Doesn't take away from the quaint aspect for this town.Aren't we tourist/visitors already helping pay for that kind of improvement?
Sometimes it takes drastic measures to solve issues.

After the big storms several people from the States banded together and brought tons and tons of relief to SP.

How is this issue any less of a threat...
If Belize and Ambergris Caye in particular are going to develope and promote tourism as an industry, is it not their responsibility to invest and provide the infrastructure to attract and support that industry?

An anlalogy would be me going into the business of selling gitzits and expecting my customers to pay for a building and supply my inventory so I could sell the gitzits to them.

Sure, if the industry is successful, then it should return a profit thru tax on the industry that would repay and sustain the investment.

Aiding someone after a natural disaster is far different than giving them money to provide necessary services that they will be charging you for.
Well said, just trying to brainstorm my friend. Again I will repeat what I said before, Most would not mind helping if it meant the place they love would remain comsumer friendly.
True, that is why I brought up what I considered to be a shortcoming in real estate taxes in a more serious comment.

For some reason, I am not in a serious mood today. That brings me to my question for you as to what you refer to by "comsumer friendly". Sounds interesting. smile
Just woke up so I'll try to expound...

Many of the comments by others mention The MUD and Dust, these are not comsumer friendly attractions.
Just to repeat myself, I love AC the way it is and really don't want it to become Jamaica or even something remotely like it.

I do wish to see it and all of the local people prosper. I also mentioned that many folks who don't like to rough it just won't brave the roads for health and comfort reasons. That sector of people tend to spent alot of money. To close, more people means more taxable income and a better standard of living for everyone.

I too agree the GOB needs to step up to the plate. Is this going to happen any time soon...doubt it.
My only purpose in even discussing this is to motivate others into helping.
BW..we are on the same page....
You all have a GREAT NEW YEAR !
up here they paved a long walkway at a big playground with help of donations. folks "bought" a paving stone (in different sizes and associated $ per stone). each donor got to have their name painted or etched into a stone. people gave in DROVES, cuz up here, wealthier folks who donate LOVE to see their names in print, so all can see how "generous" they are.

now, axe, i am not saying this is YOUR intention, i see where you are going with it, but it might work as an incentive to some others...
Great idea!
in a addition, i saw 'in memory of' and 'in honor of', too. some did several in the names of their kids so they could take the kids and show them their names. kids loved it. worked out very well, actually. they imagine they would eventually wear, so maybe put along the 'curb' or something.
I just wonder how those folks that are investing The BIG $ in new resort condos feel about having the sand leveled and paved with cobble stones. Would they approve,,, disaprove,,, or be willing to share the expense? It would seem that this issue would be of great importance to them from an investment point of view.
When the Airport area was done most seemed to be pleased.
The idea Jane wrote could work to supplement a charity as well. I know we paid for a brick or something at Coors Field but we never could find the sucker. lol
"I know we paid for a brick or something at Coors Field but we never could find the sucker. lol "

If you ever do find it look for mine as well. I paid for 3, myself and 2 kids. Still don't know where the heck they are
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board