AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip

Posted By: KVarner

Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 03:01 AM

Seasonal Affective Disorder is a serious medical condition that requires prompt medical attention.

In my case, the prescription is 10 bottles of Belikin/qd and lots of relaxation.

I'm already coming in March, but I thought that since I have a little break from school at the end of January that I'd hop down too. The only thing is: I don't want to spend too much money while I'm on the island, least I not have enough to party wildly with my friends when we come down in March.

I also have a 40 page essay on Aristotle that I have to write. I'm getting some of it done here, but the dreary weather and the cold makes me less productive. I will bring my laptop and find a quiet place at some bar and have Belikin help me along.

So, I have decided that, in a departure from my usual impulsive and risky spending and partying behavior, I'm going to go low-budget, low key, de-stress relaxation. No night clubs, no fishing, no scuba, just me, Belikin, my laptop and some bullshit asshole from ancient Greece.

I need suggestions: where to stay, where to go to study and relax (where I won't be bothered), where to eat quickly and cheaply. Where to get cheap ceviche (because this is my biggest weakness).

Oh, and a more specific question: how much is the taxi ride from the international airport to the marine terminal? I'm contemplating taking a boat, which I have never done before, but I want to know how much it is going to save me.

Thanks for any helpful musings!
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 06:17 AM

I have already given you the Pedro's cost-guarantee you cannot beat this on AC and very difficult to beat in Belize-remember staying for free is tough to beat

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 07:12 AM

I intend to stay at your place! I'll send you an email tommorrow about it.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 08:01 AM

You can buy cheap cups of ceviche for $9bzd I think at greenhouse on front street.

Posted By: seashell

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 08:01 AM

$9 is cheap?

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 08:57 AM

compared to $15 at some restaurants lol
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 05:58 PM

$25 US for the taxi to the marine terminal (last boat at 4:30). Eat from the street vendors - cheap & good. I once came to Belize for 3 days with $150 & no credit cards (but most of my friends were bartenders at the time! ;-)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 06:14 PM

You could always do a deacon.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 06:18 PM

HAHAHA!
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 06:26 PM

your disorder is contagious.
can i stay a pedro's for free as well?
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 07:02 PM

Kvarner, eat breakfast at Estel's. It's nice and relaxing and they have internet. Celi's or Ruby's for a quick on-the-go breakfast - cheap!

The park has some really good cheap eats day and night!

Drink rum n' coke. It's $2.50 US most places.

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 10:37 PM

Maybe I should get a flask and bring my own rum ;-)
Posted By: Wyoming Carla

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/18/07 10:50 PM

Heavens no....don't BRING any....go get you a bottle of One Barrel down there....coke, ice, glass, yer set.....OR, you could mix it up and put it in your flask! Have FUN!
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/19/07 02:30 AM

the little deli across the street from Pan Dulce is one of my new favorites. Burrito - $2 bze. Tostados - $1 bze each.

i find both estelles and ruby's "expensive" in the sense that i wouldnt spend $15 for lunch every day in the states...cant afford to do it every day here either.

Street vendors REALLY are the best and cheapest way to eat (short of cooking at home).

Pan Dulce has really yummy ham and cheese rolls for $2 bze, and one is enough to fill me up!

Happy eats!

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/19/07 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by GAY AND DAVID
your disorder is contagious.
can i stay a pedro's for free as well?

I believe that you can. He charged my card $420 BZE, and I stay there free for a week, and I draw down on that amount in the bar and restaurant. And I hear Pedro's is a really, really good place.

I wonder if they have ceviche...
Posted By: Danny2

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/19/07 08:57 PM

I was wondering how Pedro did it. Sounds like a good deal for on the cheap. A week with a place to stay, and 210 us for beer and pizza and good commpany. Go for it kid.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/21/07 03:23 AM

Pedro has a big heart ,and if the young man drinks ,like all young men do... He will do the right thing, he will drink there ,therefore a win /win.But peter does have a big heart..

Re: Pinching Pennies on a Last Minute Trip - 01/21/07 03:31 AM

Good to know about Deli Lara been meaning to try it but have not done so yet.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board