AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Dirty laundry

Posted By: ex,why z?

Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 05:28 PM

We might want to consider doing our dirty laundry in a different venue. It can have a negative impact on an otherwise positive experience, as seen below.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
San Pedro Daily

Having just returned from San Pedro, I would like to comment on our experience there. Before we arrived, we had concerns over the road situation. Yes, there is a problem with pot holes but that shouldn't keep anyone from coming. In fact, the ride from the airport to our hotel was an experience to remember - joyfully. And the people were so friendly that twice while walking we were offered a ride past the wettest portions of the road. We saw no crime, no spitting (as someone commented), no agressive venders and amazingly no auto/cart/bicycle accidents. What a friendly place where passing strangers, old and young alike, say hello or good morning to you. We enjoyed the water and sealife, the restaurants and bars, the warm weather even when it rains, and the friends we made there. Overall, we had an excellent experience and plan to return soon.
Ashley and Jeri
Sacramento, California
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 05:31 PM

What does this article have to do with airing "dirty laundry"?
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 05:33 PM

Hi Ashley: I think you are the Ashley from my Spanish class. Seems like you had a great time - let's hear more about it!
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 05:34 PM

I like this type of dirty laundry. It is refreshing to have some positive comments.

Does this letter remind anybody of the reasons why they come to the island???

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 05:42 PM

You miss my point.Ashley and Jeri, read all the negatives from this forum and came anyway. After arriving they saw none of the negatives discussed. Their ONLY negative impression of San Pedro was from this forum.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 06:23 PM

I really enjoyed Playa del Carmen, for a weekend. I'm sure if I lived there it would be different. The charm of a new experience can wear thin. Great to hear a positive experience as with most of our visitors. On the other hand, we live here and while a week of potholes is no major issue for a visitor, it is a serious concern for those who live and work here.

SIN
Posted By: Bobber

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 08:14 PM

Some folks look at mud puddles like old people do. Others, the kind of people you will probably find enjoying SP look at mud puddles like kids do. smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 08:28 PM

SIN, I believe that's exactly the point I made when all this road discussion began. I'm all for improving the roads, for the health and safety of the residents. But I still have a very hard time believing the failure to do so will keep tourists from coming. Seems the letter posted at the beginning of this post bears that out. As always, just my opinion.
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 09:03 PM

hey coooooocoooooooeeeeeee,
i got some dirty laundry for ya!!!!!!!
do you have any change for the washer & dryer?

as with the condition of the road north, potholes will not stop the tourism bucks$$$$$$$
not to worry
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 09:09 PM

Gay!!! I soooo miss you! frown I don't do laundry - but I'll clean the kitchen!! laugh I'm thinking if you aren't going to come see me, I'm gonna have to inflict myself on you two pretty soon. Time for a phone call this weekend?
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 10:36 PM

While I do agree with things being a bit different in vacationing as opposed to living here, I am still charmed after being here over a year. (Even though I got soaked today going for tostadas, and walking to Pedro's tonight will probably put us ankle deep in water a few times.)

San Pedro even with it's roads and stuff is still much more charming than the -26 with wind chill that my friends are experiencing in Toronto. smile and I totally appreciate being here.
Posted By: ericinsc

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 11:02 PM

Be careful what you wish for. Paved roads without the infrastructure (drains, underground piping, etc.) can make the water problem worse.We also go to Isla Mujeres , above Cancun, and it is similar to San Pedro, but with paved streets and sidewalks. When it rains, often the streets are under water in many spots.
Posted By: 737Pilot

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 11:15 PM

You know that if you use lime juice on your clothes it will get the mud stains out! An elderly lady let us in on this clue when we were there last. (Doing laundry at the Iquanomat!)

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 11:42 PM

lime juice with salt takes out most rust spots too.

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/26/07 11:43 PM

What about curry chicken stains? It never fails, get stained EVERYTIME I eat it!

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 12:40 AM

And if you get a minor cut, lime juice on it. It hurts like hell, but it won't get infected. Lime juice is a miracle.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 12:47 AM

Rachel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia writes "If you spill or splash some curry on your blouse or dress quickly wet the stain and RUB ordinary bath soap (bar) on the spot. Then wash out the affected area with warm (hand temperature) water and place the garment along with your normal wash in the washer. Note: Do not rub liquid wash detergent directly on curry stains as it leaves brown or red spots after washing the garment." Ginny Foster from Schenectady NY writes; "Curry stains can be removed from clothes with a paste of baking soda and water. Put the garment in plastic bag overnight to keep it moist. Scrub and wash as usual. Note: Don't use plastic dishes to eat curry, they will turn yellow but can be bleached with Clorox." This last tip is from Joni "Curry stains on white fabric can be removed by smearing the stain with white non-gel toothpaste. Let set for about two hours and wash off."

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 07:46 AM

What, if any, is your point eric? We are going to properly engineer and drain the new cobbled streets as we did the existing ones.

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 07:50 AM

Curry, lime juice,salt, dirty laundry,sounds like a ceviche party to me, and hey its the weekend!
Posted By: Marty

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 09:39 AM

EX: the letter doesn't say this anywhere

read all the negatives from this forum and came anyway. After arriving they saw none of the negatives discussed. Their ONLY negative impression of San Pedro was from this forum.

an equal interpretation could be:

they read good and bad on the forum. and found the bad not so bad.

no reason to trash the forum by the nice note the folks wrote. they don't trash the forum, you do

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 04:53 PM

HI TQ.

Rather than go to all that work getting out curry stains - just wear a bib!

I spilled a whole take out container of curry on kitchen rug once - of course, I then got a new rug.

Oh, and in reference to the cobble stoned paving in Cancun and Playa that get submerged - FYI, when I go to Disney World the rain can come down in such a deluge that the cobble stones and other pavers go underwater - once I remember over ankle depth - sometimes it rains so hard no amount of drainage is sufficient.

We are looking for a road solution - however it is unlikely that any type of surfacing and drainage is going to be ideal under all situations.
Posted By: ArtZ SmartZ

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ex,why z?
You miss my point.Ashley and Jeri, read all the negatives from this forum and came anyway. After arriving they saw none of the negatives discussed. Their ONLY negative impression of San Pedro was from this forum.

You are absolutely right! I've said it all along. I know you have read it before but these are my thoughts on the matter smile :

"I don't feel the message board is a place for negative comments. The message board attracts tourists whom have never been to Belize. They should only be given helpful tips of where to stay, where to eat and what to do while in San Pedro. You can find aquamarine waters & sandy beaches all over the Caribbean, but it's the friendly people that attracted us to Belize. We want newcomers to love Belize as much as we all do, so they will continue to come back. When on the Belize Message board we are, so to speak, Ambassadors of Belize."
Posted By: DitchDocDiver

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 05:27 PM

If I didn't see / read about any negatives, I'd wonder what was so bad that everyone was hiding.... No one likes surprises!

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 07:08 PM

Yo Marty, not trashing the forum (your forum,?)
I like it, otherwise i wouldn't hang, aight.
Just SUGGESTING, as are others, that those of us who live from tourism, might want to air our dirty laundry n a different venue.
BTW how do i change my online name (ex,why Z?) up in here?

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 07:17 PM

"Oh, and in reference to the cobble stoned paving in Cancun and Playa that get submerged - FYI, when I go to Disney World the rain can come down in such a deluge that the cobble stones and other pavers go underwater - once I remember over ankle depth - sometimes it rains so hard no amount of drainage is sufficient."

Right you are ken!!!!
Yo amanda, hows the super bowl going? Are the Bay City Rollers in it this year? Just saw them on VH1 "where are they now".
http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/images_music/bay_city_rollers.JPG

Posted By: LtoZ

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 07:27 PM

I have not been to San Pedro as yet and I read this forum. It does get heated with different opinions. However, there is one combined opinion and that is - you all love San Pedro!

Thank you for this forum!

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 07:55 PM

You're right L.
Are you those California Zs? My peeps are from South Carolina.

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 08:12 PM

Anyone who is put off by some of the negatives you see, I would suggest looking at the positives. There are negatives wherever you are, including home. Pull up the articles section and read some opinions of others. //ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/articles.html

Read the trip report that Katherine Huskey wrote, she was looking through happy eyes. Whatever happened to her?

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 08:18 PM

ex- yep I am California, San Francisco to be exact. it's rainy and foggy - as usual!

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 10:02 PM

Yo Jesse, whats the problem with my pics?
i assumed the first one was too big, so i posted a smaller one.

"Edited by Jesse ( 30 minutes 55 seconds ago)"

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/27/07 10:06 PM

Yo L, you related to ZZZ?

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/28/07 12:12 AM

ex - I might of responded too quickly with the yep- I do not know of any other ZZZ's. No relation, do not know who they are..

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/28/07 01:05 AM

Yo L,
Just my weak attemt at humor bro/sis. where in SFO? I got a bro in Noe Valley.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/28/07 01:13 AM

Please take this to CHAT...

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/28/07 01:18 AM

Why did you take down my pics?
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/29/07 02:34 AM

Exactly, Marty. I got a nice e-mail from Ashley thanking me for all of my recommendations on places to see and things to do - they had too much fun and were too busy to even make it up north! LOL. Nothing about negative impressions from this board. I think he and his girlfriend will be back!

Re: Dirty laundry - 01/29/07 08:08 PM

sj, thank you for the information, I'll take it with me next time to SP! smile

Amanda, I do wear bib(s) but that dang curry likes to find a spot - regardless! lol Looking forward to it tho, next time!

I want to see pics! laugh
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board