AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Question about water

Posted By: LeeFranke

Question about water - 03/23/07 02:44 PM

I meant to ask this while I was there.

At the hotel (Sunbreeze), we were told that the faucet & shower used non-potable water. I also remember the same thing from my visit 20 years ago (different hotel).

Is this the same for the locals? Or is that for the hotels in order to save water?

thanks,

lee
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Question about water - 03/23/07 03:44 PM

Many homes and hotels use well water to save money. The cost of BWS water can be prohibitive.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Question about water - 03/23/07 04:35 PM

A guest of ours was quite unpleasantly ill recently with some form of amoebic infection after making tea with what we believe must have been well water (from a faucet at Paradise Villas?). I know lots of people who drink BWS piped water with no ill effects, though to me it doesn't taste the best, but many other people choose to use bottled water. Drinking well water is a no-no, unless you purify it chemically.
Posted By: LeeFranke

Re: Question about water - 03/23/07 04:39 PM

BWS is the water company in SP?

Is BWS water piped into the homes or delivered only?

Typically is piped water well water?
Posted By: collyk

Re: Question about water - 03/23/07 07:23 PM

BWSL is the company responsible for the distribution of city water, which is produced at the desalination plant owned and run by Consolidated Water Services.

Some properties have well water, some have cistern water, some have city water and some use a combination.

If you are drinking city water, it is potable. Some also drink cistern water - I think it depends on how well you maintain your cisterns. Whether you receive city water, cistern water or well water will depend on when, where and who developed the property. Piped city water is not available on some parts of the island.
Posted By: CB Belize

Re: Question about water - 03/24/07 12:00 AM

we have always used rain water since i can remember, its natural and pure, unless someone drains our water vat(holding tank), then we use BWSL, have never had a problem with both as far a sickness goes.....

Re: Question about water - 03/24/07 12:03 AM

Lizards like to s**t on the roof...big lizards!
Posted By: CB Belize

Re: Question about water - 03/24/07 12:05 AM

i guess i must be used to the big lizards then... cuz its good water to shower with and cook with and drink....
Posted By: Tinkerbell

Re: Question about water - 03/24/07 03:07 AM

we own a condo at Paradise Villas and never had problem with cistern water. We use bottled water mostly to dring and tap water(cistern) for cofee, etc and never had any problems
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Question about water - 03/24/07 06:34 AM

I suppose different people have different sensitivities.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: Question about water - 03/24/07 01:50 PM

We also have a cistern and a R.O. system. Our water is treated and filtered but we do not drink it regularly, I have and it seemed fine (maybe a little turdy taste) but we always buy bottled water for coffee and drinking water. We just like to play it safe. Thanks for the info Jesse, Now I"m going to think I smell like lizard poop after I take a shower.

Re: Question about water - 03/24/07 02:22 PM

Raccoons like to s**t on the roof too. Messy!!!
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: Question about water - 03/24/07 09:08 PM

No problems with racoons anymore Jesse, The Croc's next door seem to have solved that. But I sure hope the Croc's don't s**t on the roof. (I guess that would be the least of our problems if the croc's can make it up four flights of steps.) We don't have to worry about them ringing our door bell though, (We don't have a doorbell)
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Question about water - 03/24/07 11:36 PM

We use bottled for drinking and tap water for washing veggies, boiling stuff and brushing teeth.
Posted By: Caye Connect

Re: Question about water - 03/25/07 12:02 AM

We don't drink the BWSL water. We drink from the old faithful 5 gallons. Many have told me that it is potable, but I smell a distinct chlorine aroma whenever showering or washing my hands (not quite pool strength, but there). We treat it as if it were rain water. We generally don't use it for drip coffee although we do use it for boiling water for pasta/rice. Everybody I meet has different guiledines. I also have been told that the Crystal 5 gallon water and the BWSL water are purified in a very similar way...

Re: Question about water - 03/25/07 12:29 AM

Thats true...they both use reverse osmosis.
The main difference is, BWSL is required to add chlorine and various other additives to protect against the inevitable threat of contamination in the distribution system.
Crystal doesn't have that problem so long as the bottle cap stays in place.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Question about water - 03/25/07 04:47 AM

Here is an interesting article on the water that I came across tonight...

//ambergriscaye.com/info/questions/58/Is+the+water+safe+to+drink%3F

Re: Question about water - 03/25/07 07:20 AM

That is an excellent, well-written definition of the situation.
Posted By: Relaxed

Re: Question about water - 03/25/07 03:24 PM

It is what grows inside all pipes that will be the primary concern.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board