AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Last minute questions

Posted By: BFaucett

Last minute questions - 04/12/07 03:53 PM

I will be in AC this Saturday and I have a couple last minute questions:
1) Do I need a wet suit for diving? What is the water temperature?
2) Are ATM's available
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Last minute questions - 04/12/07 04:32 PM

1. Probably don't need the wetsuit. Water temp is warmish now. Don't know what temp but the heat is finally cranking up in Belize. However you should consider a skin because this time of the year we often have the man o war jelly fish and a stray tentacle will get your attention! You can probably rent a wetsuit here if you don't want to carry yours.
2. Yes, we have atms. Don't know what the limits are, but we have them and they work.
Posted By: KYJeff

Re: Last minute questions - 04/12/07 04:33 PM

Water temps should be right around 80F..possibly a few degrees higher. I dive there with only a dive skin...my wife wears a 3mm suit since she gets cold easier than I do.
Yes..there are ATM's in town..but I'm sure they charge a decent size fee to withdraw money from a US account.
Posted By: RNdiver

Re: Last minute questions - 04/12/07 05:15 PM

does anyone know what the average temp is at around 40 feet or deeper? ( in late april/early may)
Posted By: desertrat

Re: Last minute questions - 04/12/07 06:00 PM

the ATM limit has been at $500 Belize withdrawal-able daily, at least when I was last there in February. There are fees, a couple of US dollars on each end. May depend on your bank.
Posted By: J DOG

Re: Last minute questions - 04/12/07 06:17 PM

RN I've never noticed a difference in water temp at depth except the Blue Hole.
I'll be there the same time as you 5/5-5/12.
Speaking of jelly fish I had a purple Man o War roll up on my arm last May, WOW! the most pain I ever experienced, spent 3hrs. at the clinic on morphine, I would definately wear a 3 mill or shorty with a skin, last May water temp was about 81
Posted By: BFaucett

Re: Last minute questions - 04/12/07 06:24 PM

Thanks for the come back. It sounds like I should bring my shorty. Does anyone know if there have been any Whale Sharks in the area? Its my understanding that April is the time that they are around Belize. Bob

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 02:17 AM

J Dog- maybe your on my connecting flight smile
I was thinking of bringing my 5mm shorty (full sleeves) then Im thinking Im gonna croak on deck of the boat.. this could be the reason to buy a 3mm shorty and a new skin?

I read somewhere the whalesharks show up around the time of the full moon? It would be wicked to see one!

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 03:31 AM

Hey RN,
I be on the 9am. cont. flite out of Houston arrive Bze at 10:30
Never saw any whalesharks in A.C. logged over 200 dives with Amigos, saw one in Roatan in 91, been to A.C. about every year since 87.
I be wearing a blue Belize hat!

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 03:33 AM

You'll be there b4 me, I dont arrive til 1:40 off delta. this is my first trip to belize.
Posted By: Sandra_rx

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 03:40 AM

This is the first I have heard about the Man of War (haven't done a ton of research yet mostly worried about mosquitos) can anyone tell me if they are present all of the time, or will we have issues at the end of September? Thanks for the assistance.

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 03:43 AM

Sandra google "bot fly" -gross.

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 03:55 AM

Uh yeah, I'm disgusted!!! If your'e interested this link was quite nice, explians the life cycle of the bot fly and states if you just "wait it out" they'll leave on their own. Exactly what I plan on doing in the event I am infected. Waiting for larvae to crawl our of my skin.

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 03:56 AM

oh yeah, here's the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_bot_fly

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 11:59 AM

Sandra,
The purple Man O War is the little brother of the Portugese Man o War, it is very painful but not deadly like its big bro the portugese Man o War, you see the purple ones washed up on the beaches alot in S.P.
I got hit laying on a raft off the pier in front of the blue tang.
Posted By: OESGwynedd

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 04:52 PM

hi there, boy did i do a blunder coming home. At Salty Dog they have a
little kids white dress with embroidery on it. I gave one away to my
neighbor kid and my house sitter was saying as i had it in my hand "OH
Hannah is going to LOVE that!"

I would really appreciate it and will pay you back before you ship it to me
if you could get me another one of these....... (don't cha hate it when
things like this happen?" I need one in a size 3..........
Posted By: OESGwynedd

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 04:56 PM

when we were there 2 weeks ago the thimbull size jellyfish "pica=pica" were in full bloom. I had on a dive skin and somehow they still got into the arms and legs of my skins.

Believe me we tried everything. Windex, no itch (sold on island), amonia, urine.......... the only thing to break the rash and cycle was to go the Dr. back home and he gave me a prednisone pack.....

oes
Posted By: BeachBride07

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 07:06 PM

I got it too- 2 weeks ago- calamine lotion and a benedryl pill cleared me up in 2 days
:-)
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Last minute questions - 04/13/07 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra_rx
This is the first I have heard about the Man of War (haven't done a ton of research yet mostly worried about mosquitos) can anyone tell me if they are present all of the time, or will we have issues at the end of September? Thanks for the assistance.

Very unlikely to see the Man O War end of September. If you are lucky there might not even be mosquitoes. Remember sun up and sun down are the worst times for the mozzies - so stay inside for an hour around those times and you might leave the island unscathed - except from the land sharks of course.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board