AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Kids Traveling to Belize With Us

Posted By: speedpro50

Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/01/07 03:22 AM

I am taking my wife back to Belize for our second time at the end of May for our 10 year anniversary. I would like to have our best friends come down with our kids (2 girls - ages 5 and 6) AFTER we are already 2-3 days in to our vacation. This will be a total surprise for my wife. I have a few questions now that you have some background information:

1. Do my 2 children need a passport to travel to belize?
2. Will there be any issues with our best friends flying with our 2 children to belize?
3. Any other possible problem or issues you can see with this?

Thanks for your answers / feedback in advance!
Posted By: klcman

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/01/07 03:35 AM

1. Yes

2. Give the friends a notarized statement granting them legal responsibilty for the kids and permitting their out-of-country travel. Be very specific as to dates/countries/itinerary etc. This should cover any immigration/emmigration issues - has for me in the past, even post 9/11.

3. Double check with the airlines.
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/01/07 03:37 AM

Your kids will need passports. In addition, both parents need to be present to apply or you'll need something notarized that your wife agrees to this passport application. Google US passport,and it will spell it out.

So, unless you have another reason for your kids to get passports, this will be hard to pull off as a surprise.

Your friends should have notarized letters stating your permission to take your kids with them to Belize.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/01/07 12:51 PM

yup, what they say is so, i just did it.

both parents need to be present to get the passports, or one has to supply a letter giving the other permission to get it. they require their original birth certs (with raised seal) and photos at time of application. childrens' passports are only valid for 5 years. if you intend to do this, get on it soon! you will need to pay extra to super-expedite them.

you will also need a letter giving the non-custodial adult permission for the children to leave the country on the given dates.

so, as Jean said, it will be hard to make it a surprise.

we will be in BZ the same time as you, with our sons. good luck, and enjoy!

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/01/07 04:27 PM

Any particular outline of what exactly needs to be in the notarized document giving authority to our best friends to travel to Belize with our children?
Posted By: RMT

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/01/07 05:45 PM

I had to do this once in regards to the letter. State that you and your wife ( full names) are giving consent. So that you have it all covered, add the children's names, ages, dates of the trip, who ,what and where. Include your phone number where you can be reached and your address. Notarize it and you should be good to go. Good luck.

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/01/07 05:52 PM

Thanks so much!
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/02/07 04:29 PM

There is a big back up in getting passports lately so better get on it if you are going at the end of May. Will need to do one of the expedite options. Regular apps are taking over 6 weeks.
Posted By: RMT

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/02/07 06:24 PM

My husband applied for his passport three weeks ago. Expedited it and was told a wait of 5 weeks. I was suprised but he received it to the day in exactly two weeks. Like Barb said though, don't take a chance and get moving!
Posted By: cakelee

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/03/07 02:28 PM

I just checked on passports for a friend. The official website says it could take up to 10 weeks for regular submission (still only 2 weeks if you expedite), but the post office told them it could take 12 weeks!

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/23/07 07:40 PM

Do children need anything to board a plane as proof of identification going to Belize outside of their passport?
Posted By: belizegial

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/23/07 07:46 PM

I would get the letters as suggested.

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/23/07 07:51 PM

speedpro50, I sent you a PM.

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/23/07 08:39 PM

Do you know if children need anything to board a plane as proof of identification going to Belize outside of their passport and the notarized letter?

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/23/07 09:05 PM

I beleive the passports are enough.

Maybe what you can do is check with the airline.
Posted By: dabunk

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/23/07 09:22 PM

Passports are not enough unless they are over 16. We had a friends son come visit us last year and when he hit immigration they asked me where his letter from parents was. Had to be notarized as well. They allowed me to have a copy faxed but had to bring in the original in 5 days. So we waited for several hours until the parents were able to get paper faxed to us.
Edit to add the airline did not care but Immigration did. Maybe we hit the lady at the desk on a bad day, but better to have it and not need it.

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/23/07 10:29 PM

Right, so my children (ages 5 and 6) will have their passport and the accompanying adults (our best friends) will have the notarized letter. That should be all I hope!
Posted By: dabunk

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/24/07 12:57 AM

I would also make sure they have a phone number that you can be reached at. Just in case!!
Posted By: kris48

Re: Kids Traveling to Belize With Us - 05/24/07 01:28 AM

Just to cover all the bases, it might not hurt if the kids had copies of the front pages of the parents passports.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board