AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 04:32 AM
I'm very surprised the main thread has been censored. I am afraid that Sterling's final outburst has not helped his cause. I wholly support the concept of the school, but I am now withdrawing my own offer of help. Something just doesn't feel right.
Posted By: pamkillen Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 05:03 AM
I am just sorry that Sterling jumped all over Beth who is probably one of the nicest people I have ever met. She also gives a lot of time and money to island charities.One is allowed to ask questions regarding use of funds that one donates.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 08:08 AM
I now see that my responce to Sterling regarding RIBeth has been nuked. What happened Mr Board person? I said nothing ill about anyone, just suppored Beths position and that Sterling was a little rough on her. Now the topic is locked? What gives, who ever deleted my post? I would like an answer.
Posted By: natalie p Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 01:30 PM
It's sad whenever anyone tries to help a cause on this island there are some who ruin it with nit picking and squabbling. Perhaps we forget the main thing here which is to provide schooling for children who would otherwise HAVE NO EDUCATION OR ADEQUATE NUTRITION!!!!
Are those who are causing so much harm to this cause ready to take the place of those they think are not doing it right and provide for the children?
Posted By: islandferry Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 01:33 PM
I apologize to Beth and the board. I am frustrated by the continous misinformation and ill will against a really descent and good organization. If anyone wants to see how the $10,000 raised is being spent, or any other questions about the school please spent pm me.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 02:54 PM
I agree Beth is one of the nicest people and I think her original post is valid.

It is important to tie up loose ends before proceeding with new business.

(I missed the posts that got edited or deleted)

Posted By: RI Beth Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 03:09 PM
Hi all:

The main point that I was trying to make with my other post is that I believe that the best way to diffuse misinformation is to get out in front of it with real information. It can be time-consuming - but I believe it is essential to the long-term objective of serving the children.

Thanks for the kind words! And Sterling, as for your final comment on the other thread - tough luck with that! Oh, I missed the other posts too.

Beth

Posted By: kwalkpt Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 04:08 PM
The Cinco de Mayo fundraiser was not done by the school. It was done by "Friends of Holy Cross". There was an article in the San Pedro Sun prior to the event recognizing people/businesses that had donated to the event and what they had donated. Laurie (Tacogirl) should have the list of people who won the prizes.

Holy Cross School has bought and received $10,000BZ worth of fill in the last month and on Thursday a check from the "Friends of Holy Cross" for $10,000BZ for fill was deposited in the Holy Cross account.

Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 05:27 PM
Thanks kwalkpt. That is the info people are looking for.

Folks all work hard for their money and they want to donate to a charity that is transparant and fully discloses where every last penny is spent. If the spending appears to be wise and effective people will continue to dontate and new donors will join in the effort.

Having abusive outbursts is not they way to encourage good will and attract new donors.

Asking people to send private messages if they want to know what is really going on will create the impression that there is something being hidden.

All charities send out reports showing where, when and how each and every penny is distributed. If the Holy Cross school and the Friends of the Holy Cross school want to attract more interest and donors the best way to do this is by publicizing exactly what is going on. And the long flowery (fluff) letters really don't assert confidence either - again, to me anyway, it always seems like something is being covered up under all the sweet words.

There is a time and place for all things. The long drawn out wonderful thank yous can be made at the annual appreciation gatherings - where people that are involved and interested can attend and hear the extended version of all the good work and progress that has achieved throughout the year.

Accountability for donor funds is crucial to a charity's continued success and positive reputation.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 06:50 PM
Kwalkpat -I read that in the Ambergris newspaper that Vernon was given a 21,000 dollar cheque with photograph from the friends of Holy Cross-now it has been said that a further 10,000 has been given to Vernon and 10,000 donated for fill (this has been paid-to whom?)
Now if this is the same 21,000 that was raised from Cinco de Maio where is the other 1000 or am I just getting lost and 41000 was actually raised ??/
Posted By: kwalkpt Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 07:04 PM
I think that it said that $21,000 was raised and that was a cermonial check - the first actual payment was made on Thursday - for the remaining actual amount ask "Friends of Holy Cross" -tacogirl. I do not know.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 08:45 PM
The amount shown in the picture of the cheque in the San Pedro sun news paper was for 20,016.56.

PLEASE NOTE... to date 20,016.56 is the total that has been raised.

To my knowledge I never saw anything in print that said 2100.

A big fake cheque was all that was turned over to the school that day. They were never given any money at that time from the event.

Since that photograph was taken, 10 thousand has been turned over to fill and the rest of the money still has to be collected from people who bought stuff at auction and the totals need to come in from the 2 bars who made donations of their sales that night.

I hope this clears things up for everyone.
Posted By: pamkillen Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 08:49 PM
Thanks so much. It does clear it up. I think that for me the discussion of the money being used for a medical and dental infirmary building just confused me. It sounds like that is a totally separate issue. Is that correct? I think the "Friends" of the school concept makes a lot of sense. Thanks
Posted By: tacogirl Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 09:01 PM
You are welcome Pam.

I can honestly say I found that confusing myself as the infirmary/office was all ready well underway being buillt.

So why they would need to use the money for that I do not know.

You are correct Pam it is a totally seperate issue and was well underway the day that cheque picture was taken, the roof was going on at that time.

Adam the musician is the one who made the offer put on the benefit for the school, and there needed to be somewhere to put the money that his event raised. The "Friends of Holy Cross" made an official bank account as a way to handle the donations from Cinco De Mayo.

Posted By: islandferry Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 09:13 PM
Did someone say the money was raised to build an infirmary and dental clinic?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 09:15 PM
We do now seem to be getting somewhere. Openness and thorough accounting are what is required, not reassuring words. I'm not saying that anyone has their hand in the till, but I was getting concerned at the proportion of bland assurances and frankly misinformation to hard facts. Pedro1 has an ascerbic way of expressing himself, but fundamentally he has expressed my concerns. Amanda (as always) has been a voice of calm reason. What I want to see is a straightforward list of donations coming to a total, a list of expenditures coming to a total, and a reliable statement as to where the difference is located and under whose control. As I said, basic accounting (is my accountancy training showing?).

I'm not fundamentally concerned and will probably reinstate my gift. But I do want a lot more clarity introduced as a matter of standard practice first.

It seems that the original thread's been unlocked. Good move that, though now we'll have to scan two threads. Any chance of this one being merged into the other one, Marty? I don't think this matter is ready to lie down and go to sleep just yet.
Posted By: RI Beth Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 10:03 PM
Thanks TG!
Posted By: pamkillen Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 10:08 PM
In the previous thread, the statement was made that a dental and medical infirmary was being built over the new fill. It certainly gave me the impression that they were the same project. I have another question. Will the fill be used to provide the new access road from the San Mateo Rd so that there will continue to be access after Jeff begins his new bulding? Thanks
Posted By: kwalkpt Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 10:20 PM
I think the fill that was bought has already been used to go under the existing classrooms and the cafeteria. There is area that was water that is now sand. When I was at the school on Thursday some of the area between the classrooms and under the classrooms were still water, so I think fill is still needed to go under the existing classrooms, cafeteria and office. Not sure about the new access road - reading the previous posts it sounds like a major job that needs an engineer and that fill will not fix that problem. JMHO
Posted By: Ernie B Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 10:28 PM
I'll probably regret this, but I think we have too many cooks in the kitchen. Various, well meaning opinoins are good, however, they are still opinions. If the "Friends of Holy Cross" could appointment a spokes person to lay out FACTS, most of this conversation will go away. JMO.
Posted By: pamkillen Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/20/07 10:40 PM
I agree that an informed spokesperson makes sense.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 02:06 AM
Absolutely we need a spokesperson who actually knows what is going on and we need him/her on a real school board with serious people who understand that all charitable contributions should be treated with the highest integrity and should only be spent after the board has decided that they get the best value for the donations.
I am still concerned about Johnston International(especially when they are saying they are doing it for cost-whose cost?)-how much have they been paid and what are they going to do for the monies that they have received-I,personally, wonder if they think they can make a profit.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 02:10 AM
Ease up, Pedro. I bet it will all work out.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 02:34 AM
How much will you bet?
Posted By: Ernie B Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 02:55 AM
I have pretty deep pockets. Lets see how it plays out. Be cool.
Posted By: islandferry Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 05:28 AM
Peter

Totally agree with you. I nominate you Peter to be the spokesperson for the Holy Cross School. As a spokesperson can you tell us what you KNOW (not think) is wrong that can be fixed with the way the school is being run so that we can all get to work and clear all the problems up. Basically how would you run the show. The floor is yours.
Sterling
Posted By: Scuba do Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 01:32 PM
You won't see my posts anywhere on these threads before this one--but I must say that Sterlings post above,among others is what is wrong with this board.Everyone holding bitterness towards each other and trying to one up each other verbally.I am a prison minister and see bitterness destroy lives every day,besides,Jesus calls this murder of the heart.Most of you have it made in paradise but elect to live in anger among each other.You are missing out on the Great Commision,to love your brother as yourself,relax,enjoy life,walk in love,life is REALLY to short for all this---- David Nisbet Jesus is the Way Prison Ministries,Illinois USA
Posted By: tacogirl Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 03:07 PM
Please get this part clear as to the cinco de mayo money that was raised.

The "friends of Holy Cross" are doing the deciding they raised the money for land fill and ultimately they are the ones handing it over to pay for the fill.

The board that makes all the major decisions for the school is the Anglican Diocese. They can answer any questions that people want to know regarding the school itself.

Here are some numbers to better explain landfill and what it will take. (please note the information below was from April 27 and the friends of holy cross has since given half the money raised towards landfill for the school)

The school 60,000 cubic yards of fill for the property. There was an engineer who was here several weeks ago who took out a little boat and did water depths all over the property. That's the figure he came up with.

Currently the school is paying $140 for 7 cubic yards (one truck load) or 8,571 loads costing $1,225,149BZ That's to fill the entire 8.6 acres UNBELIEVABLE!!! They are talking with some folks who have a dredge (Johnston International) that could do the fill for half the price of dump trucks - that's only $612,574.00

Posted By: pamkillen Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 03:54 PM
I think that it is very unfair to continue to imply that because one asks questions, one does not care about the kids. In my case, I care enough to put myself at some risk of insult to ask the questions. I asked about the cesspool under the school and it has been partially addressed. If I had not asked, I wonder if it would have been given the same priority.
My primary concern is that the Wilsons are so intent upon growing the school that it is outpacing the capacity to do so in a clean and safe manner. They also the absolve the government from the responsibilty for those kids. In my initial discussion with Francis, she stated that she had been talking to school authorities to take over the school next year and that there was a plan for that to happen. That seems to me to be the best plan and then the "friends" of the school can keep up their good work to raise funds and the actual academic administration can be where it belongs, with the government. The education department already pays the teacher salaries presently so this should be smooth transition.
A part of me wishes that the"friends" of the school could coalesce into a somewhat stronger and bit larger board and take on an active role in raising money and supporting all the students on the island because then we could have continuity and nonpartison fundraising. All the public and religious school school students have great need not just the Anglican ones. And there is so much energy aroused for these kids that with a little more organization and solid leadership, so many more kids could be helped. I know that the local government would welcome such a cause if done in a respectful and positive way.
Thanks to those who took the time to read this whole entry. Fairly verbose!
Posted By: travelqueen Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 04:00 PM
Scuba do, you speak the truth for sure!

Pam, you have a great idea but obviously takes a LOT of work to coordinate this type of thing... "A part of me wishes that the"friends" of the school could coalesce into a somewhat stronger and bit larger board and take on an active role in raising money and supporting all the students on the island because then we could have continuity and nonpartison fundraising." Why don't YOU do it??
Posted By: pamkillen Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 04:08 PM
I would consider being part of it but once the committee got together and developed their plan, they would choose their own leader. I did bring it up, though, and that is a start in and of itself. Let's see where it goes.
Posted By: bywarren Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 08:53 PM
Now you have gotten my attention. You mean to tell me that some idiots decided to build a school where it will cost over a million dollars just to fill in the land - not to mention the destruction to the marine environment that it will cause in order to do that. Unbelievable is right. Why don't they just give the kids a scholarship to Harvard and save some money and the environment?
Posted By: Nova Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 09:01 PM
It is my understanding that the government donated the land for the school. I don't imagine the school had much choice in the matter; 8.6 acres of beachfront was likely out of their reach.
Posted By: TrueLover Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 09:09 PM
Not exactly Warren. My understanding is this road will be the new road north and that the old road was temporary. So truly the school should not have to absorb all the expense. It is only a light duty wooden bridge now. To make it passable for all traffic it should be filled and or a bridge. I don't know where you came up with millions but the span is less than 40 feet. A decent bridge could be built for the price of a small concrete house foundation or filled properly for much less. The map I saw showed the road going around Reef Village on the west side and passing sweet basil's back side. Fill, fill, fill. By the time they dredge and fill all around the isle's mapped out past Tres Cocos to the west you should be able to bring a decent size boat back there.
Posted By: bywarren Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 09:20 PM
The figures are from Tacogirl's response on this thread.

"Please get this part clear as to the cinco de mayo money that was raised.

The "friends of Holy Cross" are doing the deciding they raised the money for land fill and ultimately they are the ones handing it over to pay for the fill.

The board that makes all the major decisions for the school is the Anglican Diocese. They can answer any questions that people want to know regarding the school itself.

Here are some numbers to better explain landfill and what it will take. (please note the information below was from April 27 and the friends of holy cross has since given half the money raised towards landfill for the school)

The school 60,000 cubic yards of fill for the property. There was an engineer who was here several weeks ago who took out a little boat and did water depths all over the property. That's the figure he came up with.

Currently the school is paying $140 for 7 cubic yards (one truck load) or 8,571 loads costing $1,225,149BZ That's to fill the entire 8.6 acres UNBELIEVABLE!!! They are talking with some folks who have a dredge (Johnston International) that could do the fill for half the price of dump trucks - that's only $612,574.00"

Posted By: pamkillen Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/21/07 09:22 PM
Here is the history as told to me by Vernon.He also told other people at the same gathering. The Wilsons put in a permit request with the previous planning board to build a 4 plus story condo development right on the point across the Boca Del Rio.The plan for the development is on a poster at the bridge for anyone to see. . 4 plus stories was beyond the usual height limit for the island at that time. (he has set a precedent and now there are others) He said that in exchange for an exemption to that height restriction, he would , with his own funds, build a school for the San Mateo area. According then to Francis, for some reason that I have no knowledge of, the condo development was delayed and the town had been counting on that school they were promised and asked the Wilson's to build before the condo development was complete. The idea being that the profit on the top, unusual floor, would pay for the school. So instead of paying to build the school from their own funds for whatever reason, they began to fundraise. I am not sure if the lagoon property is theirs or the towns but all the dredging and build up of land is a environmental disaster.Any land that the school is on or expanding on to will be dredged lagoon. They fill with garbage and put sand on top of the garbage. They are not the only group doing this just the only one asking for us all to fund it.The town sort of got screwed because now that fundraising dollars are unexpectantly being used to build up the school, they are being diverted from other charitable institutions on island with equal or greater need. All the information that is here is from either Vern or Francis except the opinion.
Posted By: TrueLover Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 01:39 AM
I guess nobody wants to touch this one. It sounds so convaluded. My first question would be how can the town expect them to make a dollar to extend toward the school if they cannot develop? I would assume the school being conected with the Diocese and the development not, they are only married by the trade off. So far the town seems to be coming out ahead in my opinion. The perminent school is to be constructed elsewhere I'm told and this site will become Teachers quarters later. No doubt the now depressed swamp land will by then be worth much more as something else. I hope the trades continue to benefit the town. Call me an optimist. smile
Posted By: Danny2 Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 12:05 PM
The truth will set us free.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 12:57 PM
A perfect example of the peter principle.
Posted By: bywarren Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 01:08 PM
This should be taken as an outrage by the people of Belize, and especially the people of Ambergris Caye in this instance. It is an outrage that the town council would give a "sweet hart deal" to a developer that deviates from their original planing in order to provide a school that is the responsibility of government. The people of Belize, through government , have the obligation to educate the children. It is also an outrage, if these allegations are true, that the developer would turn to private donations to fund a personal commitment that he made.

Now my friend Chris has often, in the past, pointed out the fault of the Government of Belize in not funding the needs of the country especially the needs of AC based on the tax dollars AC generates. So what does the elected government of AC do? They neglect their responsibility and attempt to solve the problem by giving a sweet heart deal that deviates from the original planing that one would assume was developed in the best interests of the island and it's people.

What should be done is realizing that the Government of Belize is incapable of meeting this obligation and therefore the people of AC through their elected government should step up and solve the problem. That needs to be done by the people of AC and not by searching for funds from others. It is the people who live on AC responsibility, and the people like me who own property on AC, to meet this obligation to the children.

What I pay for property tax is ludicrous. If AC would tax the real estate value that exists on AC at a more realistic amount, their would be ample funds to pay for the needs. For those of you who are not aware of the tax structure let me give you an example. A condo that is valued at say $300US pays around $500BZ in tax. That same piece of real-estate if located anyware in the US where services were provided would pay what? Say anyware depending on location from $5000 and up for taxes. I am not suggesting that taxes need to be raised that much, but only a small increase would provide much needed funds.

Now I know all of my friends living on AC are going to come back and tell me they pay enough in taxes now through GST, import duties, etc. Well that might be, but it aint solving the problem. So quit bitching and quit sticking your hands out asking for donations and get together as a community and solve the problem.
Posted By: TrueLover Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 01:16 PM
Whoa Horsey!!! This is illedged and speculative at this point. But all good points Warren.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 02:24 PM
Byron makes two good points (and possibly many others!). Firstly, why was it necessary to build the school on what could be termes prime land - or at least beachfront? There's a vast amount of fairly good quality land near (but not in) the DFC area south of town that wouldn't have neede this expensive infill. I don't know whether the school needed to be located where it is for the pupils' sake, mind.

Secondly, his point on property taxes. My house in the UK is half the size of my AC one, yet my property taxes there are about US$34000 annually (and it's standing empty). Even 10% of that imposed here could transform public services.
Posted By: pamkillen Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 02:33 PM
Just a note. Whatever deal was made between the Wilson's and the Planning Board was done by the previous board not the sitting board.
My second point is about the kids. Holy Cross serves 2 free meals a day to students which is great. They will be getting many more students because of that. I know some from the DFC that will commute up for the meal plan. It is commendable. But what about the RC students . Are they less deserving? I go back to the fundraising umbrella plan. The "friends" could be the "friends" of all San Pedro students and make sure all kids get a free lunch.
Posted By: Chris Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 02:35 PM
The government HAS the money to fund education on the island.

Most people here on the island thought the government didn't have money to fund road construction here on Ambergris. Now look and see what's happening. Nothing like a bit of organization and urgency to get things done.

Most folk here think the Government of Belize is too broke to send some of our tax dollars back to the island for education and more (and much needed) road improvements etc. While the majority continue to think that way the Government is more than happy to agree with them.

Bywarren, there's an awful lot of wasteful spending at the Town Council level here on Ambergris. Next time we're having a beer together I'll explain. Suffice to say I really don't feel that they're ready to manage even more of my money.

Education is Central Government's responsibility. We can't just write off the tax dollars we're sending to Belmopan ...kids on the island deserve better.

Posted By: bywarren Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 02:50 PM
Chris my good friend, the GOB is broke. They can't service their national debt even to pay just the interest. That is a whole different discussion. The fact remains that the children of AC are being neglected and it should be the people of AC that find a solution for that problem. If you can get the GOB to do what is should be doing, fine, If not, then look for another solution. It is not enough for us to sit back and say the GOB is the problem and not find a solution to the problem.

You are right, the kids deserve better.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 03:27 PM
GOB as an entity is broke, but quite a few of the individual members are far from.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 05:24 PM
It was my understanding that Vern Wilson came to the island, said he was going to build a condo project.

It is also my understanding that Vern Wilson came to the island and said he was going to build a primary school that would provide school lunches.

I thought, at the time that Vern was going to build this school on a portion of the land that is on the eastern side of the roadway.

I was horrified when I saw where the school was being built. I was also dismayed to see the school soliciting funds. I thought the big developer guy with the magnanimous heart, the big yacht and the fancy house on the beach was going to actually improve the schooling opportunities on the island. Instead this has turned into an unmitigated disaster.

I agree with Bywarren. Stop blaming the town council, stop blaming the government. This is a community problem that needs to be resolved.

There are a lot of hard working parents sending their kids to the Holy Cross because it is their ONLY option right now. The situation isn't perfect, but the parents have to work each day and their kids need an education and a controlled environment.

No self respecting, honourable charity is going to consider donating to this school if the community it serves doesn't take the bull by the horns. GOD HELPS THOSE THAT HELP THEMSELVES.

Now personally I believe that Mr. Wilson should have done what he said he would do. The plan should have been made, controlled and implemented. Letting the school run out of control and taking responsibility for so many more students than the school could handle was not only reckless but down right dangerous.

The folks that now depend on this school want to see it improved, not destroyed. However, I believe it is not sound business sense to keep throwing money into a bottomless swamp hole.

I say :
1.Move the school buildings, the town board/government can figure out where to. A place that has water, power, sanitation disposal and road access - and is high and dry without the requirement of fill.
2. Wrestle the school out of the control of whomsoever is supposedly in charge.
3. Set this school up as a true government sponsered school that is governed and staffed by government employees.
4. Set up a charity that financially aids the school. Said charity should have a board of all of the folks that are truly interested in the cause and have sound business sense. Donations will be logged, all payouts will be approved by the board and a monthly or quarterly report will be made to all donors and potential donors.

So, how much room does the school really need in order to operate "as is?"

Let's start there.

Posted By: Pedro1 Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 05:47 PM
Absolutely spot on -I agree with everything Amanda has written
p.s. just imagine the comments if I had written her post
Posted By: SP Daily Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 05:49 PM
Question: Since the RC School is Catholic, why is the Holy Cross being Anglican such a problem? Many schools in Belize are Anglican.
From their website: "Today, the Diocese is comprised of 31 churches spread throughout the country. In addition to providing spiritual homes for our many congregations, we are engaged in missionary outreach within and outside of Belize and are actively engaged in international companion diocese relationships. Through our churches and communities, in partnership with the government of Belize, we sponsor one preschool, eighteen primary schools and one high school. Total enrollment is almost five thousand children. Our schools employ about two hundred and fifteen teachers. The diocese also sponsors the Anglican Theological Institute through which we work to equip church members, ordained and lay, to embrace more fully their leadership roles in the church."
Posted By: Chris Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 06:17 PM
I also agree with Amanda's post except the "Stop blaming the town council, stop blaming the government" bit....if charitable donations need to be monitored and audited then what about our millions in taxes?

Last year this island almost ground to a halt during the rainy season because of our disintegrating roads and a group of VERY worried businesspeople got together and secured government funding to pave the road from Distributers to BWS. And that was the same government everyone was saying is broke.

Look, there IS money, paying taxes and expecting NOTHING back will get you just that, NOTHING. We have a community responsibility to jointly expect more from our own money. We play into government's hands when we just say "Keep our money, we don't expect any of it to come back to the island."

Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 06:30 PM
Chris, I guess my point was that we can't all swing around playing like we are helpless infants when we have have a very serious community problem. It just seems to me that people are crying "Help me, I have a problem, somebody, anybody, help me.Give me money and I'll stop crying." I am saying let's find a solution, think it through, present it well, in a manner that the government can simply say "here's a solution - the government backs this plan!" Rather than whining and asking the government to come up with a solution - we the community need to present the solution and then force compliance. Exactly as your group did with the roads. The problem with the school is that a core group that will spear head and lobby correctly has yet to emerge. It will, but its not there yet.
Posted By: Chris Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 06:38 PM
"The problem with the school is that a core group that will spear head and lobby correctly has yet to emerge."....that core group surely has to be the parents of primary school aged children.

Perhaps the new San Pedro Business Association will be able to help as well.....
Posted By: SP Daily Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 06:39 PM
Oh good! Yet another group to further divide community energy!
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jesse
Question: Since the RC School is Catholic, why is the Holy Cross being Anglican such a problem? Many schools in Belize are Anglican.
From their website: "Today, the Diocese is comprised of 31 churches spread throughout the country. In addition to providing spiritual homes for our many congregations, we are engaged in missionary outreach within and outside of Belize and are actively engaged in international companion diocese relationships. Through our churches and communities, in partnership with the government of Belize, we sponsor one preschool, eighteen primary schools and one high school. Total enrollment is almost five thousand children. Our schools employ about two hundred and fifteen teachers. The diocese also sponsors the Anglican Theological Institute through which we work to equip church members, ordained and lay, to embrace more fully their leadership roles in the church."

Jesse don't get me started on my opinion of the RC school either. It is also a less than ideal situation - it is just a small step ahead of the Holy Cross.

This is not a debate about Religion. It is a concern for the kids.

Even though my family is not catholic I went to an RC school, and my eldest is in a RC school. I have friends and family of many faiths including Moslems, Jews and Bhuddists - Don't try and make this about religion because it isn't. I have nothing for or against the Anglican Church and in fact I attended Anglican services often as a child.

If the Anglican Church and the Government of Belize are willing and able to manage the school that is fantastic - but logic, health and safety and honesty must be part of the equation. That is the point I am trying to make.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 06:44 PM
My question isn't about religion...but pointing out that the Anglicans are proven school operators thus should be qualified to run Holy Cross
Posted By: bywarren Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 07:03 PM
Being qualified and getting the job done are not one in the same. If the job were getting done, we would not be having this discussion.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 07:07 PM
The problems seem to be centered around development of the school property. Operation of the school seems to be running smoothly. The Anglican Church isn't equipped to be a developer but is a school manager.
Posted By: TrueLover Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 08:19 PM
I was regretting responding to Pam's accounting, (like pouring salt in a wound), but I guess this is not so bad. I agree with much of what's been said and suggested but, in reality, there can only be "what happens".

Who is willing to do more than Vernon and the Dioceses are doing now?

Speak loudly so we can hear you please.
Posted By: Short Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 08:21 PM
As I read in the history being told in this thread they very much ARE developers. Just an observation - not an opinion.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 08:25 PM
Not the Anglican Diocese
Posted By: TrueLover Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 08:42 PM
I imagine most of this "Core group" mostly working mothers or at home with the baby. Doubt that's gonna happen but ready to be surprised.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: More on Holy Cross School - 05/23/07 08:53 PM
Anyone serious about stepping up to the plate send me a pm. I DON'T want to receive anymore finger pointing, whining, complaining and negative opinions. Thanks all. It was real enlightening.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board