AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21

Posted By: Ruth1

Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 12:33 PM

Hello all,
I listened to Reef Radio till late last night. I wrote Jan at Portofino several times...and did get replays. Someone on the island should check on them this morning. Jan and other staff members are in the 3 building (I think that was what Jan said)
I have lost my connection with Reef Radio...I don't know how things are. I am sure we are all worried about all of the people left on the island...and it sounds as if there were many people left on the island.
Anyone in San Pedro or North/South part of the island....let us know you are fine.

All the Best,
Ruth-Panama City Beach, FL
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 12:46 PM

Good morning Ruth,
I just spoke with Chris Barenfanger who lives in the Villas del Rio condos just north of the cut on the Caribbean side. The winds are still blowing about 100 MPH per hour but the water surge was not bad on the east side at all. I've spoke with several others and all seems fine......at least as can be.

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 12:56 PM

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much...Good to hear.

All the best,
Ruth
Posted By: chris sailsports

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 01:42 PM

Am not in Belize (on holiday in the uk) but just spoke to Junior Berrios and Rebecca from Seaduced, they are all fine. hurricane not as bad as Keith for wind and height of water in town and south. most of the piers have gone in town. wind still blowing pretty hard from the south east. should be able to get out of the house and look around in an hour or so.

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 02:27 PM

Again - thank you for the up-dates.

All the Best,
Ruth
Posted By: Rickey A. Visoria

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 03:25 PM

thanks for the updates. Does anyone know how high the storm surges were? Our prayers for everyone on Ambergris!
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 04:17 PM

Has anyone heard from the Taco's?? Laurie and Paul also Collette and Maya? Looks like our collective prayers were heard. Dean and the Mayan Weather Gods were no match for all our prayers and positive thoughts.
Posted By: Kristykins

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 04:50 PM

Havn't been around these parts much lately but I'm so glad to hear that for the most part the hurricaine wasn't too bad... I hope that everyone is okay and the damage is minimal... keep us updated!!!
Posted By: bignred

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 04:55 PM

First time on site and first message sent. Hope you all will bare with me.
Would like to know if Sheila and Rusty Nail got out of San Pedro. They manage the Mayan Princess. Also, how much damage to roofs and structures resulted from Dean.
The Mayan Princess seems to be a pretty solid building, was there much damage there?
Posted By: Don Greife

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 05:06 PM

I hope that those who stayed on the island will "check-in" so we will know they are OK and give damage reports. Son Steve and I fished Sunday with Manuel Azeuta and need to know that he and his family are OK. Wondering about the Anglican School too. We got to the international 30 minutes befor it was closed. Got home about 11:30 last night. Don Greife
Posted By: Savanno

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 05:11 PM

I have just spoken with Vivian from Rojo Lounge (Casa Azul) and she said that everybody is ok up North!
They have lost their dock, so has many other neighbours up North, they and Mata Chica have not much damage. The roofs (palapa) are still there, there is a little water damage, but other than that is all fine.
There is still no power on the North side of the Island, which probably will take a few more hours.

If anyone has some news from Portofino and Jan (my husband) please let me know, as I'm in Belgium and I'm very worried!

Lets just pray that there is minor damage on the Island so we can all go back home soon!

Sandra van Noord

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 06:00 PM

Hello Sandra,
I spoke to Jan about 10:30pm last night....If Rojo is Ok and Mata Chic is Ok I am sure Jan is fine...
At 10:30pm Jan said he thought the dock was either gone or he said it would sure be gone with the storm coming in...Jan also posted lots of photo's late yesterday afternoon.

I hope someone checks on Jan and other staff staying at Portofino.
Sandra...I am not sure but last I heard Elbert Greer was staying.

All the Best,
Ruth- Panama City Beach, FL
Posted By: Rena E

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 06:46 PM

has anyone heard from anyone on the southern part of the island? i am concerned about Changes in Latitude B&B and owners Cindy and Renita...haven't heard from them since the 18th.
Posted By: Portofino

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 07:15 PM

Hey Ruth,

Already talked to Sandra on the phone. Everybody is ok at Portofino, and so are all of the neighbors. We sat out the storm with 10 staff, and we have been cleaning since this morning. We are getting the rest of the staff in by 1:30 pm, and we will be fully operational for lunch tomorrow (Restaurant and Resort).

Damage is minor. We are currently on generator power, but think General power will be restored today. It took me a while to get the internet back up and running. Phones were down for a while as the battery backup systems have been unavailable with BTL for the past 2 years. For now we can not receive calls from abroad (except for the cell phone, when we have reception), but the email is working, and we will be answering them from 1:30 pm on.

Jan van Noord
Posted By: Chuck9876

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 07:20 PM

Anybody seen or heard about Xandu? We have a trip down there in a month. Should we keep our reservations? Do you think AC will be back to "normal" by then?

Hope everyone is safe.

Chuck - Texas
Posted By: cblessing

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 07:34 PM

Hey Chuck,

I am going to Xanadu also (Nov.2) and coming from New Orleans where Hurricane recovery can be at a snails pace, I too am concerned. I am anxiously awaiting word on the resort and the island.

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 07:39 PM

cBlessing & Chuck,
I haven't talked to Roger & Susan yet. Susan manages Xanadu. But I can assure you they will be up and running well before you guys arrive. You probably wont even notice that AC had a hurricane!
Posted By: Wyoming Carla

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 07:42 PM

I slept very little, and by the looks of it, Marty didn't sleep at all. God Bless you Marty for your information all night. WOW.....I'm SO GLAD no one got hurt and for the most part our wonderful island is in tact. Again....thanks Marty, you're the bomb. Hopefully someone will post some pictures!
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 07:45 PM

Just what is "normal" on AC? laugh At any rate, based on reports so far, very little significant damage was done to AC, even to the areas north of the cut. I have heard or read no reports of heavy damage as far south as Xanadu. I'm coming down for ten days in early November and a few busted up piers and breached seawalls will not keep me away. AC will be back to normal (whatever that is) in no time!

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 07:49 PM

Thanks LOANSUM - AL K.! We have been looking forward to coming down since the first of the year and I'm glad to hear thing should be good to go by then.

Chuck
Posted By: RadConDave

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 07:50 PM

I have been following this board for so long that I feel like I know you all. I have had that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach ever since Dean started to threaten you. I am so relieved that everyone seems to have weathered the storm, so to speak. My wife and I are scheduled to arrive on the 8th of September (in 18 days) at the Belizean shores and we were wondering what you all think about AC's ability to recover in that amount of time.
Posted By: justoneweek

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 07:54 PM

First time on this site as well.
Anyone seen or heard from Sharon Boyd (Banyan Bay) this morning?
I'm not sure if she stayed or not...last I heard she was (maybe?)planning on going to Banana Beach.
I hope everyone out there is okay!

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 07:56 PM

HaHahahaha! As long as there is good food, plenty of booze and air conditioning I consider that normal. Sounds like we are going to keep our plans to come down. WoooHoooo!

Posted By: Kristykins

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 08:01 PM

I'm so relieved to hear that the island had minimal damage!!
I'm glad everyone is safe smile

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 08:01 PM

I just heard from Sandra at Portofino...She is not there (she is out of the country) but her husband Jan is there...Jan just called her....here is the message. Jan and Staff are fine - Portofino Resort. This is North on the island.

Dear Ruth,
thank you so much for your help!
Finally Jan had called me about an hour ago, and he and our staff are ok! Thank goodness!
As well we have minor damage, things that easily can get fixed up, and even the power is still out, we are on generator, so I can call him any time I like.
I really want to thank you for your sweet words earlier today.
As I'm 6 weeks pregnant and really was worried that something might have happen on AC. Luckily everybody is fine.

Thanks again,

Sandra
Posted By: 6string

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 08:10 PM

Hey everyone... so very glad to hear that everyone seems to be ok, and that Dean didn't do the damage that he might have. We miss so many of you too.... Hope Tacogirl and hubby are fine, Marie says hi, and thanks for the pics!! We will be back soon... you all stay safe and smile... tomorrow will be another beautiful day in AC!! Take care!

Mike and Marie

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 08:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the update and reassurance that all will be okay. I have been planning this trip for a LONG time for our 25th wedding anniversary and I could not imagine not being able to go. The more I read about the people and AC the more I like about it. I will see you in November.
Posted By: ALM1717

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 08:20 PM

I'm a friend of Steve's at Ecologic Divers.

How did his pier and building survive?

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 08:24 PM

Cblessing, a number of us board regulars will be down in November, generally starting about the 9th or 10th. Just look for us at BC's, Canuck's, Tackle Box, Roadkill Bar, etc. We'll be the sunburned ones laughing our asses off!! laugh

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 08:28 PM

Oh Darn!!! We leave to come home on the 9th. We will only be there the 2nd thru the morning of the 9th.

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 08:31 PM

Reef Radio is back up...I am sure they will be telling everyone first hand how things are...
http://www.thereefradio.com/

All the Best,
Ruth
Posted By: STILES

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 08:37 PM

Glad to here everthing is all right. but what about the REEF any info on it

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 08:43 PM

Go to Reef Radio
http://www.thereefradio.com/
then Click on Live Radio
this radio station is on Middle Street...Last night they gave updates and some music...today mostly music...But I am sure they will have updates on how things are...also yesterday people were calling in checking on people and areas.
It sounds like they made it through this storm surprisingly well.
All the Best
Ruth

Posted By: Patrick la perla

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 08:48 PM

hi,

I am looking for any information on La Perla
Posted By: Dita

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 09:32 PM

Any info on Capricorn and the owners and staff?
Posted By: CindyF

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/21/07 09:36 PM

Does anyone have any info on how Belizean Shores & Tuff Enuff fared? Thanks

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 09:41 PM

Jan from Portofino wrote me and said he still had a dock...little damage. But he was working on small repairs today...He said he would be open tomorrow for lunch and had guest that would be arriving tomorrow...That is north of Belizean Shores...So I am sure Belizean Shores is fine too.

All the Best,
Ruth

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 09:45 PM

Just talked to Kate; she and Elbert are fine and so are the dogs.
Jan
Posted By: SarahBE

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 09:47 PM

Any information on the Holy Cross School on AC?

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 09:51 PM

Glad to hear Elbert, Kate, and Bubba are fine...
Thanks for the info Jan....
All the Best
Ruth
Posted By: debnlyn

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 10:05 PM

Has anyone heard how Ecologic Divers fared in the storm? Also how about the Villas at Banyan Bay?
Posted By: tbatsueno

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 10:29 PM

Has anyone heard how Sueno del mar faired? Has phone service been restored?
Posted By: Seafan

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 10:41 PM

Has anyone been to the very south end of the island? (approx. 2 miles from the very end)I have a house with caretaker who stayed there? From what I have read sounds like it is probably in good condition? Thanks
Posted By: Hightide

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 10:43 PM

Word from Jacqueline at Banyan Bay reservation office is that so far so good, some minor dive shop and restaurant damage but no water or wind damage, no structural damage. Don't have an 'eyes on' confirmation just from email updates from her. Any other info / input appreciated. Coming down there Thurs.
Posted By: CaroleD

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 11:08 PM

So glad to hear everyone is doing OK and that the damage was nowhere near what it could have been. You have all been in our thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: lisarb

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 11:35 PM

Stephania
It was a total fluke that I received my mom & dad in Orange Walk...no contact since around 9am...I try every hour, no luck. Keep trying.

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/21/07 11:39 PM

View photo's that have been posted "Hurricane Dean" on
Photographic Forum...

All the Best
Ruth
Posted By: WHC

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/22/07 12:10 AM

I am interested in finding out about the status of the Holy Cross Anglican Primary School and Francis and Vernon Wilson. I was there only 3 weeks ago with a mission group from Connecticut and would love to be able to communicate with them in some manner. I have sent emails this afternoon, but am unsure of the impact of the storm on their Internet capabilities. Thanks so much for any information...

Posted By: b2Karen

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/22/07 12:21 AM

Like many of you, I've been so thankful for all of the updates on this board! My husband and I visited AC for the first time just 2 weeks ago and fell in love with it. We stayed at Costa Maya and are hoping that everyone there faired well. Ruth - thanks for all of your info. We were at Costa Maya same time as you and met on the boat the day we arrived. If anyone has more info on Costa Maya, Jose, David, Rudy and others, we'd love to hear it!
God bless,
Karen
Posted By: SarahBE

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/22/07 12:24 AM

I heard that the Wilsons are on vacation and not in Belize.

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/22/07 12:35 AM

I understand the school is just fine......just standing amist 8 to 10" water which will recede quickly. I believe Francis & Vern evacuated.
Posted By: aerohavana

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/22/07 01:42 AM

Hate to be so secular but how is BC's, after the Frida Bar in PdC went away several year ago and Hole in the Wall barely escaped oblivion in Roatan, I don't think I could stand another loss.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/22/07 01:43 AM

BC's is fine, bigger beach no sign.
Posted By: sunny smile

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/22/07 01:56 AM

Hi,

has anybody seen Greg Smith and his family? Are they OK? How about the houses and resorts North of Costa Maya?
:-)
Posted By: C Sayle

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 02:36 AM

I got an e-mail yesterday from Jenna at the Capricorn. She said the their family and the entire staff were safely evacuated and would be returning quickly.

We are due to be there next weekend so she was updating me.
Posted By: islandferry

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 02:38 AM

Has anyone heard from Jan at Porto Fino. I drove past today in one of my boats and they look to be in good shape but have not heard anything.

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 02:39 AM

Jan has posted several time and is doing okay. Minimal damage according to his post.
Posted By: Craigswench

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 02:40 AM

Just got an email from Bob and Maureen just south of Caribe. Said lots of wind, some dock damage, some minor home damage. Pool might be a casualty, as water was somehow drained out this morning. But they are OK.
Posted By: DitchDocDiver

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 02:49 AM

Reports for Jan, @ Portofino, and Greg Smith, plus bunches more on the Acer family and friends tracking site...

http://acerfriends.blogspot.com/

Posted By: carole158

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/22/07 02:58 AM

We are shceduled at Xanadu next week...any info about how things are appreciated!

Carole

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 03:04 AM

thanks loansum
Posted By: TacoBoy

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 05:27 AM

the taco's checking in. all is well with us. thanks for all the support, will have lots to say later.
Posted By: denverdan

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 06:51 AM

Glad to hear of all the good news coming in!
Craigswench... tell Maureen and Bob to get that pool filled, we may be out soon and she frickin owes me big time (or does Anne owe me big time?). HA
Posted By: Arcadia

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 08:48 AM

Wondering How Charlie and Estiel (on beach restaurant) weathered the storm?
Amego Del Mar?
Mayan Princes?
Posted By: Nova

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 12:32 PM

Wondering how lil'red (Pasta la Vista) is doing.
Posted By: Jlighter

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 04:11 PM

Hi. It's great to hear that most made it throught the storm with little damage. It looked very scarey on CNN!!!
Danny and I send our thoughts to you all. We'll be down soon to start the clean up.

Thanks to Jeff at Azul for letting Danny know everything was relatively ok at Mata Chica.

Hope all our staff is ok. Anyone out there?

Judy Lighter
Posted By: southerncasa

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 04:31 PM

Information wanted on the island in general but particularly the southern end. The property at the southern end with the white fence. Any news on Caretaker and family or condition of the property?
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 04:44 PM

Yeah! Thanks for the updates and happy to hear from the tacos! xoxoxo
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 04:55 PM

Just talked to a friend there, seems as though minimal damage in town. He says its super super windy there today.
Posted By: KimP

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 05:01 PM

Hi all. Stayed in CasaCaracol in June and absolutely loved the island, the people and the diving. Already booked for next year. Any information on Patojo's Pier and the Bar at The Tides. Also, any word on Phil and Marie that own Casa Caracol? Glad to hear damage is not as bad as it was looking to be and no one was hurt.
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/22/07 11:12 PM

update from the south of the island....
Lots of tree damage, but thats about it. The roads are better today than they are after a regular ole storm. I am a few houses away from Bob and Maureen, so i'm pretty far down there. Seems that we did as well as the rest of the island.

folks, call this what you will, but those of us who stayed here through this thing all count ourselves very very lucky.

As for Patojo's pier...the swim dock is gone, but aside from that its ok.

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/23/07 01:45 AM

Hey Sterling,

We are doing fine here at Portofino. We opened today for lunch, and although there was no stampede, we already have guests staying at the resort.

When you pass by again, please come in so we can have a drink or a bite together.

Jan

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Au - 08/23/07 01:58 AM

Hi Judy,
Your staff is OK; we took them in today, as the boats seem to be broken. Three came on our regular 1:30 boat, and then we send a special boat for the rest (eight). There doesn't seem to be much damage at Mata Chica, only the dock is twisted. Just went looking from our dock and we see lights over there.
Jan
Posted By: darrin fisher

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/23/07 02:55 AM

hello lara.

i own the big green house on the corner just before the house with the white fence. can you tell me if there is any damage to windows or dock?

fish
Posted By: Christy Ax

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/23/07 04:08 AM

Does anyone know Trevor Del Valle in San Pedro? The last time I talked to him he was at Wild Mango's....

My husband and I would really like to know that he's alright as well.

Thanks for any info!
Posted By: lauratex

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/23/07 04:42 AM

Any info on Tranquility Bay , due to be there end of Sept. after postponing from august 25, Seems like all should be fine. Was sooo ready ! but can wait few more weeks .
Posted By: tamiam

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/23/07 06:37 PM

Hi there, does anyone know if the Capricorn suffered any damage or if anyone has any pics of that area? We are supposed to be there in 2 weeks and are not sure if we should postpone. Thanks much for any info.

Tam

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/23/07 08:30 PM

No specific info on Capricorn, but there's no reason to cancel. Structural damage was almost exclusively limited to piers and smaller outbuildings and should all be cleaned up and repaired by the time you get here. I'd go today if I could!! smile

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/23/07 08:48 PM

I hear ya KC Jayhawk!!

Re: Has anyone heard from anyone on AC Tuesday, Aug 21 - 08/23/07 09:09 PM

Jan
Drinks on me. A lot of people were realy worried about you. Thank god everything is ok.
Sterling
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board