AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Type of wetsuit needed in February

Posted By: j&dgreen

Type of wetsuit needed in February - 09/01/07 01:41 PM

Hey all you divers--
We wil be on AC in February. My husband & I are snorkelers, so we wear shorties. Our adult children will be joining us & they are divers, but only have dived in the summer. What's the water like in February? Do you need a full wetsuit, or is a shortie adequate?
Posted By: elbert

Re: Type of wetsuit needed in February - 09/01/07 02:35 PM

I use a full wet suit in Feb. The water sometimes goes down to 79 f.
I know thats still warm by most peoples standards but I'm in the water twice a day and it accumulates.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Type of wetsuit needed in February - 09/01/07 04:15 PM

On the other hand I use a diveskin, and I'm in the water about as much. It's a very personal thing.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Type of wetsuit needed in February - 09/01/07 08:12 PM

What the guys are not saying is it depends on how much fat they have one their bones. I'm very fat and sometimes don't wear anything! Oh - just so I don't freak everyone out I wear a swim suit. LOL I also have a 1 mm sleeveless shorty which is nice when the water is below 80.

You snorkelers might want to consider a skin as you will probably burn any exposed parts.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Type of wetsuit needed in February - 09/01/07 08:12 PM

Hey Elbert - Did you dye your hair? Nice picture. Can you sing too?

Re: Type of wetsuit needed in February - 09/01/07 08:17 PM

My new hurricane look
Posted By: Rykat

Re: Type of wetsuit needed in February - 09/01/07 08:42 PM

From the picture, elbert needs one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Conair-NE150NSCS-Cordless-Nose-Trimmer/dp/B000050B70

wink

Re: Type of wetsuit needed in February - 09/01/07 09:20 PM

Be careful Rykat , it seems when ever we are on a thread at the same time ..poof ,,,the smell of smoking digits and its gone. wink
Posted By: seashell

Re: Type of wetsuit needed in February - 09/01/07 09:45 PM

Well, there you go. It just shows that everyone is different. When I'm diving, no matter if the water temp is 84+ degrees, I wear my full 3 mm suit. I don't get overheated in the water and if warm up on the surface, I can pull the top down. I've found that over multiple dives on multiple days, I'm glad to have it.

When diving in cooler water temps, like those around Belizean waters in the winter months, I've even been known to wear a light hood, neoprene beanie cap or a bandana, to help keep my head warm too.

The padding I have before I even donn my wetsuit doesn't seem to help keep me warm at all. It's more like there is more surface area to chill. smile

Posted By: Nova

Re: Type of wetsuit needed in February - 09/01/07 11:53 PM

Hey elbert - caught your little dance on the new Arby's commercial. Adorable! crazy
Posted By: j&dgreen

Re: Type of wetsuit needed in February - 09/02/07 02:33 PM

Thanks for all your imput. Our daughter has a full wetsuit & our son will rent one.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board