AmbergrisCaye.com Home

New Spa/Resort/Restuarant

Posted By: ScubaLdy

New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 09/16/07 09:08 PM

Good news for north side people! A new spa/resort is about to open it is called Akbol which I’m told means center of the village in Mayan. Although I can’t find a web site right now there is something on MySpace. Milio and his wife Kirsten (called Tikki) are wonderful people.

They are taking reservations for the beginning of November and the restaurant “Bean” should be open by the first of December. Tikki is a Yoga instructor and I believe they will have massage and everything that goes with an upscale spa. She is such a fabulous cook you meat lovers will not even miss the meat and you vegetarians will be in heaven.

Akbol is just a shout north of the Palapa Bar – on the south side of Nurse Natalie’s place. This has been a labor of love and I have been honored to have them here at the Villas @ Del Rio while building. Sophia and Rome are the best behaved children that I have ever met coming from North America.

I hope all of you will welcome them.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 09/16/07 11:21 PM

That's great news Harriette. Kirsten & Milleo are great people and we wish them the best of luck in their new adventure. We will defintitely check it out when we get there next month. And I agree, their two children are super kids!
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 09/17/07 05:04 PM

Sounds fantabulous!!!! Let us know when they do in fact open!
Posted By: Scuba do

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 09/18/07 04:24 PM

Good news for NorthBeach
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 09/18/07 05:09 PM

Very cool people!
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 09/19/07 12:01 AM

Seen the property and cabana's in the under construction phase and they looked great. Both K and M have a great eye for design and the finished product is going to be really nice.
Posted By: mobunny

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 01/25/08 08:54 PM

Has Akbol spa, restaurant, resort opened?
Posted By: mobunny

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 01/27/08 07:13 PM

Anybody?
Posted By: kwalkpt

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 01/27/08 10:34 PM

I do not think it is opened yet. They have just finished the dock and I know that they have been gone part of last week.
Posted By: IGAmel

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 02/05/08 06:11 PM

A couple days ago Milio said they could be open in a couple weeks except they're having trouble getting restaurant equipment for Beans and wood to finish their beds.
Check the photo forum..will post some pics. The pool will be rad!

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 05:55 PM

Heard a great review on Bean restaurant yesterday from ScubaLdy.

Care to post what you were telling the gang Harriette?

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 09:29 PM

If you have not already met Milio and Kirsten you are in for a wonderful experience. They bought five acres on the south side of Nurse Natalie’s property and moved here over a year ago. Along with their wonderful children, Sophia and Rome, they have worked tirelessly to build a very different sort of get-a-way here on the island.
From the Palapa Bar you can look north and theirs is the next beautiful pier with a big palapa on the reef end. Kirsten teaches yoga and in nice weather holds here classes there.
In the not so nice weather she holds them in the jungle hide-a-way a bit up towards the road.
I think there are seven casitas and they are so uniquely done you have to see them to believe them. There is a very big free form pool with a full sized coconut palm tree in the middle. There is also a broad shallow play area where the waterfall flows in before dumping into the pool.
The restaurant is called BEANS and she specializes, though not limited to, vegetarian food. They wanted to have a place where the local workmen could afford to eat and have the food they like to eat. This is for breakfast and lunch. Soon they will be open for dinner. The dinning room is on the 2nd floor among the trees overlooking the sea. They will have a more upscale dinner.
At the Verde meeting yesterday Kirsten told how many-many citrus trees they are bringing in. She is a true believer in sustainable living and wants to grow healthy organic food for the restaurant and her family.
Can you tell how much I like these people?
They are working on a web page and as soon as I get some pictures I will post them.
Posted By: cakelee

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 09:33 PM

You requested that she have GLASSES of water, right?

Sounds like a place to check out! Will add it to my list!
Posted By: Belize-N-Us

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 09:52 PM

Wouldn't this be considered new development?

Do you think they cut down any trees when they built this resort?

They built a "reef killing, beach destroying pier" that is "beautiful" with "a big papala" over the queen's water?
A structure, over the queens sea?

Do you think their guest will generate any sewage? How about generating garbage?

I'm soooo confused. I thought most posters here were anti-tree cutting, anti-pier building and anti-new development.

Sorry about the tone. But am sure that many of you get my point, others may not. But it seems to me that cutting trees, building piers and new development is just fine as long as it benefits "ME". Anything that doesn't benefit "ME" gets ripped apart on this board by the so called conservationist or anti-development hypocritical posters.

This new development sounds great and I support such development on the island even though I personally rarely ever cross the bridge.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 10:29 PM

With that bad attitude you'd better rethink ever moving here...you'd be eaten alive within 3 months!

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 10:47 PM

I have a great attitude!

Be there in July 8-13 at The Palms.

Do you prefer white or dark meat? I'm very white meat but I do get fairly tan if I sun or tanning bed. Just let me know when you are ready to dine.

P.S. 3 months? Where does that figure come from?

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 10:50 PM

Clever! gonna be interesting to see how the local government/community structure likes your attitude.
Many have come and many have gone...
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 10:54 PM

"I'm soooo confused. I thought most posters here were anti-tree cutting, anti-pier building and anti-new development."

Guess you thought wrong BNU... ouch..

I'd like to check the place out myself next time down. Providing ticket prices haven't gotten to the point of me selling blood just to get down there. (said with tongue in cheek of course)
Posted By: Jim Wade's Little Sister

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 10:56 PM

I will give him only 2 months and he will be devoured.

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 10:58 PM

Jesse, I have been there about 10 times now. I have always had a great time and gotten along with everyone I have met there. I have hired locals to help me clean up our property as well as construction. I have worked side by side with them in the process as well.

I don't think for a second that this board represents the beliefs or attitude of the local population. Most of the posters here are ex-pat wanna-be's just like me. Most don't even own property and most have no real plan to ever move to Belize full time.

All of my interaction with the true local people has been great so far except for a few cross words with a very few true locals like yourself on this board only.

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 11:00 PM

You probably have a good attitude in person and only bring out this nasty one on the message board....hopefully.
Posted By: reaper

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 11:03 PM

"The pot said to the kettle"

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 11:04 PM

I don't smoke that stuff.
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 11:14 PM

perhaps you should consider it
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 11:25 PM

Id smoke a dang chain if I could get lit.
Posted By: TacoBoy

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 11:29 PM

and another thread goes off the rails...

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 11:31 PM

Oh come now TB, dont they all ?
Posted By: shuffles

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/06/08 11:41 PM

Funny how that happens, the train is going along on the track...."choo choo"......and then all of a sudden.....
a non sequitur comes along.....and over the hill it goes...
Posted By: deadserious

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/07/08 12:38 AM

poker anyone?

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/07/08 12:41 AM

Shuffles, "smooth seas made happy Marines"
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/07/08 12:56 AM

Poker? I don't know her! (sorry for the bad pun)
Deal me in!
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/07/08 01:59 AM

Ok
Enough already.
Milio and Co.
Has works his ass off for many years to put together this place and I, for one, take my hat off to him.
This was not a one year deal--he and his wife have been planning this for at least ten years.
Belize-N-Us
You have no idea how much damage a stupid post like yours can do.
FYI
I don't think they even cut one tree--they added a bunch.
These folks are not some Big Corporation--they are hard working folks that will succeed with or without remarks like yours.
I just wish the bar was open later than 5 pm.

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/07/08 06:10 AM

Well said belizeonthebeach.
It still surprises me how far some people can leap to support one of their opinions.
Ek Bal had no mangroves that could have been cut even if they had been so inclined.
The sea grass was not ripped out to build a pier.
No big/high buildings were erected.
The little casitas as spread among the palm trees.
I think they cut out a few poison wood trees.
Many other things have been planted and there are plans for a complete orchard.
These folks are soo ‘green’ you should turn that color with envy.
Just wait until you see what she has done with natural materials in building and decorating.
The north side of the cut* is not the place for everyone and I would like to keep it that way!
If you can’t be nice here on an information message board I doubt that I would find you nice in person.

*Elbert take note of my careful wording - LOL
Posted By: Nova

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/07/08 01:05 PM

They wanted to have a place where the local workmen could afford to eat and have the food they like to eat.

Based on this idea alone, they sound like wonderful people.
Posted By: Northern Canuck

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/07/08 01:26 PM

Will have to visit this place next time we are down.... Thanks for the info scubaldy.

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/07/08 03:31 PM

They are great people.

Kirsten volunteers to teach yoga at the high school and she also came out to the recycle parade and talked to the kids before hand about why we were all there. She also got them fired up and shouting "Don't trash our future reuse recycle"

I have not seen the Akbol in it's more finished state but once Kirsten invited a group of us to have a sunrise party there and see the land it was so much fun.
Posted By: bywarren

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/07/08 03:46 PM

You need to tell Kirsten to apply for her license to teach yoga, even thought it is hard to obtain due to the governments policy of protectionism, so she doesn’t have to volunteer her services. wink
Posted By: H20dog

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/07/08 03:46 PM

Who writes the talking points for the welcoming committee?
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/07/08 04:25 PM

Sounds lovely! Can't wait to check it out!!!
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: New Spa/Resort/Restuarant - 06/10/08 03:03 AM

Hey ScuBaldy, Stop agreeing with me--makes me look bad.
Just Kidding
Elbert
Yes we are on North Ambergris Caye.
You my friend, are in Mexico--I think--maybe
Who Cares
Elbert is way the F%$# up the coast where they drink Dos XX
(lame excuse to send this to the top)

© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board