AmbergrisCaye.com Home

watch out for island tours golf cart rentals

Posted By: Sandra_rx

watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/26/07 11:18 PM

Hello all. I thought I should not wait to get home to write about this component of our trip. On our first day here (saturday) we rented a golf cart from the island tours company located at the big pink island grocery. We did so because they offered a 10% internet discount. This morning we were headed to town from Victoria house when a dog started barking and chasing us then proceeded to try and attack my husband who was driving. My husband veered right and hit an embancement and the golf cart tipped on it's side. The very nice locals who were around came and picked us off the ground and turned the cart upright. I though we should immediately go to the tour company/grocery store to inform them of what happened, since we bent the roof and one of the wheel fenders was torn off. when we got there the manager called a guy out to give us an estimate of what they would need to charge to fix it. Remember the only obvious damage is minor cosmetic, we drove the cart the rest of the way and it ran perfectly. She comes ut to say the chasis is cracked and that the cart is basically useless from that point on, that they would have to part it out, she then told me a new golf cart costs $20,000 belize dollars. I asked to see the cracked chasis she showed me something undrneath that was covered in mud and there was no visible crack. I told her I don't see any crack and she replied well its covered with mud? Well if it's not visible how did she know it was there? This made me really nervous and she called the police to file a report. When they came the police flat out told us to get a second opinion because these guys are scam artists, we weren't the first ones this has happened to and to NOT pay them any money. I got into a taxi (cesars taxi and truck company. He took me to pick up a mechanic he knows named ohsman. Ohsmon came and gave us an estimate of 780 belize money plus a little more for labor. The manager came out yelling saying he doesn't want anything fixed he wants it all to be new. We then went to file a police report ourselves. They were shocked at the prices the island company were quoting us. The girl manager showed up and stated they would take $12,000 belizean dollars to fix the cart. The police advised her anything over 5,000 she would have to sue us and she said ok. The police removed the copy of my credit card the company had and told them they were NOT allowed to charge my card any money. The police then started their own investigation and called a well known mechanic to reevaluate the cart. The police mechanic gave an estimate of $1000 dollars, which is just a little more than what our mechanic said. Meanwhile I went back to victoria house to check for any charges, and sure enough she ran my card twice the 1st for $6000 dollars and the next attempt was also for $6000 which american express declined without talking to me first. Anyhow, we are set to go to court on friday to settle this once and for all. I want to mention as soon as the owner of victoria house heard what had happened to us he went with his own mechanic to look at the cart and to talk with the owner of the store. I thought this was incredibly gracious of him. I'll write a complete trip report later just a warning to those who are coming here, I strongly recommend you find a more ethical company to place your business with.
sincerely,
Sandra
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/26/07 11:31 PM

WOW! Thanks so much for posting this as it is unethical! Luckily my cc only has like $500USD left that I can charge! Ok but seriously - that is awful. Thanks for posting this.

Let us know what happens after court.
Posted By: Nova

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/26/07 11:35 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Sandra - hope the rest of your vacation was awesome and helped to make up for it. I echo TQ - let us know the outcome.
Posted By: Bobber

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 01:22 AM

Hmmm, interesting.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...rentals-Ambergris_Caye_Belize_Cayes.html
Posted By: Sun&sand

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 02:14 AM

Wow...hubby and friends were coming home from the gym and they were stopped by a guy in front of the island supermarket who said they were "crooks" in there. Hubby looked at the golf cart in question and said the damage was minimal, yes, the roof was bent and the frame around the windshield would have to be replaced, but it was drivable, and not too bad. It's good to know that this forum allows us to warn eachother of the unethical people on the island. Besides, they sell black ketchup...so we don't buy food from them, either. Good luck on getting this resolved.
Posted By: CanBrit

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 03:31 AM

Don't quote me on this....but if hiring a vehicle using your credit card, it usually means you have free insurance for the vehicle you are driving.
(hire companies usually forget to mention that when selling you their insurance package).

You might want to check your credit card details. ie can depend on whether silver/gold plat/ plat + etc etc. As carts are the rental vehicle and as gas powered are considered vehicles you might be able to use that with your Credit card company...if so the hiring company is gonna be SOL wanting $12k.

I'd also be looking at whether you signed a waiver or was even given the chance to buy insurance. (I have no idea what the rules are in Belize for vehicle hire btw)

Hope your CC will cover for you or court find the vendor over the top.

Posted By: spl

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 04:16 AM

canbrit- my positive guess is that you have not acutally ben to Belize before. Its not like the states or even canada or even britian for that matter. think similar to a third world county. its Belize!
Posted By: Caye Connect

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 05:54 AM

Oh man Sandra... I feel so bad for you! I saw your cart as I passed a few times today in front of Island Supermarket and all it looked like to me was roof damage. I was with VH's mechanic (Mathias) when he and the owner were discussing your situation. WOW, I heard the $12000bz figure. Simply crazy. Glad to here you got the right people involved to make sure their extortion scheme was somewhat unsuccessful. The fact that they charged you credit card w/out consensus between parties is criminal. Not that I had been but I, for one, will never rent from nor recommend these guys ever again. Thanks for the heads up...

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 06:08 AM

Thank you for all of your support. The community support has been unbelievable so far. Bobber, thanks for that link, I am going to print it out and take it with us to court! knckerbckernyc, the owner of victoria house has been so kind to us sending his own mechanic down and speaking with the staff on ou behalf. I am just simply amazed with this little island thanks to all of you for your prayers. I'll keep you posted on the proceedings.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 12:50 PM

Their whole strategy is based on a Harvard business case I once read.
Posted By: ubbit

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 01:22 PM

Use cash. On larger purchases, such as cart rental for a week or so, you will receive a 10-20% discount. I received a 20% discount at Moncho's rental this past week for paying cash. I had a flat tire on my rental and Moncho's was there in 10 minutes with another cart-no mention of a charge. If you visit often, open a bank account and get an ATM card. Belize Bank has a savings account that pays 6% interest and you can write up to 10 checks per month. Must maintain an $US500 to receive the interest.
Posted By: DGrefreshed

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 01:29 PM

Wow. First off, GOOD LUCK with the case. I applaud the actions of the police on this one and this story was very good to read in that sense for I have heard some very disparaging remarks about the cops in San Pedro (which I refused to believe anyway) which I thought were pretty bogus.

Word of advice regarding Credit Cards for rentals.....I keep one credit card for this purpose and it is one of those secured cards meaning that there is only X amount of dollars on it to be used so for example when I pay my vehicle bonds going into Mexico no more than 300 dollars can come off of that card just in case there is a computer glitch....same with rentals. YOu cannot get blood from this stone.

These people are gonna get their butts kicked good one of these days. ARe they related to Island Grocery or just occupying space there? I did not quite understand the relation between the two.

Again, good luck. No one deserves to deal with this sort of BS on a holiday!!!! And no, this is not the way business is generally done down here so to the individual remarking on third world nonsense? Please form a more cohesive and informed argument in the future?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 02:02 PM

Personally, I've encountered several first world businesses run by third world mentalities.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 02:24 PM

I don't often pre-judge based on one side of a story, however there seems to be an indication that others have been badly treated. I hope this will take the usual path that I have seen in AC, where there is so much quality competition that the under-performers are weeded out. As a tourist, I come to places to avoid the hassles of daily life, and would be quite outraged to be victimized. I do realize that a lot of these carts are abused, either accidently or on purpose, but that comes with the rental biz, and is figured into the rental costs. Just my opinion. Good luck in court, and let us know what happens. 50+ days out, and I will ensure that our carts are rented elsewhere.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 02:41 PM

I agree that they were victims of an apparent scam. However, let's look at the initial cause. The damn dog chasing the golf cart. The owner of the dog is the one that should be responsible. No one wants to be chased by dogs on their vacation. The owner of the dog should be tracked down and given a warning to keep his dog confined or it will be euthanized. End of story.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 03:02 PM

I was riding my 250 one day and same scenario (this was in northern Canada btw about 20 yrs ago) - this dog comes running at me from the left, I swerve, lose control and learned how to fly over a small fence. Luckily I was unhurt and there was only superficial damage to the bike.

The dog owner comes out and starts yelling at me about almost hitting her mutt. Not an are you ok was uttered! The owner of the home whose fence my bike hit made sure I was ok and told me not to worry for he saw exactly what happened.

I looked at the broad who owned the dog and told her, next time lady I ain't gonna swerve! I meant it. Just uttering that threat did achieve something....she had that mutt secured properly thereafter.

Dogs coming after you be you on a bike, motorbike or golf cart....how do you know whether or not they are gonna bite or for that matter do you really want to hit the creature?

Such is the situation presented. As to myself? I will never swerve again.
Posted By: belizegial

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 03:13 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your encounter Sandra_rx.

I hope it get resovled through the court.
Posted By: Tillie

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 03:22 PM

DGredfreshed you almost had me fooled! I was reading you post thinking you actually had something positive to say (for once) until you bash someone mentioning 3rd world. I think they were just trying to give a general idea of what the island is like. Durrrrrrrrr! Not everybody has to think like you.

On a separte tab I am sorry to here about the incident that happend Sandra and agree that no one should have to deal with that while on vacation.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 03:27 PM

If it were me, I would have had several breakfast Belikins and probably would have run over the dog anyway.
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 03:30 PM

Dog!!!!!! smile

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 03:33 PM

Tille, I have never found the cayes to be "third world". I was not bashing but instead asking that such a generalisation be articulated better? I shall refrain from asking folks to make intelligent critiques since that mere action seems to draw out your ire and it was never my intention to upset the easily upsetable.

Read the post after mine where the gentleman phrased his experiences succinctly....third world practices in so-called first world businesses.

I don't believe Belizeans appreciate being called third world anything. At least that is what the Belizeans I do business with have stated to me.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 03:36 PM

That was no gentleman - that's Dog! laugh

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 03:40 PM

Dog hits dog (film at 11) smile Third world is a media generalization, first world is what your heart is comfortable with.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 03:41 PM

hahahahaha....I have never met the man in person so I take the high road unless convinced otherwise....<grin>

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 04:42 PM

I like the way you think, DG. OK, I can cop to gentleman as long as the scholar part is included, and I do prefer blondes. There's also something to be said for having a first world view in a third world reality -- delusional.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 04:55 PM

I am blond, sometimes idealistic and definitely enjoyed what you had to say. I like to find the middle ground down here and I think I have in some ways because I have had relatively no problems doing business down here....just one time, and one time only a vendor tried to pull a fast one on us and hopefully that situation will never happen again but vigilance is a good thing to practice. When I lived in Jamaica, boy oh boy, that place was a great practice run for living here. I prefer HERE most definitely to THERE! Fi true. Ya better belize it EH? <GRIN>

When one is on holidays however they are not always vigilant, they are after all on holiday and are thus more optimistic, I believe, than what they would be at home? Bad things happen to good people or in their case NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED....I have had to learn that truism down here to be sure and it is a hard lessson to adhere to.

I try to not judge until otherwise shown terrible, unethical whatever, examples.

Hope I ain't being too blonde (hehehe). Thanks!!!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 07:15 PM

Hello all,
Just an update to yesterday. We have a few estimates at this point (mechanic for the police, our independant mechanic, The Victoria House mechanic)all of these estimates came in at $1000, $400 and $550 USD respectfully. Our conference with her yesterday to show her the estimates was no good, her estimate states $6000 USD and they wont budge. I still have not received my $6000 dollar refund. She almost got herself arrested yesterday charging that to my CC after the police forbid her to use my card. She produced a paper that showed there had been a void of that charge however, as of 9am this morning Amercian Express does not see that credit. The Victoria house has been amazing to us, they have contacted a lawyer in Belize City and we had a conference this morning. He said they may not have enough time to get all of the necessary paperwork together before we leave, so if they file after we're gone we may have a hard time getting back into the country. This is really upsetting to me because we love it here. I cannot begin to tell you how much support we've received from the community. We hung out at Pedros last night (LOVED their pizza) and we spoke to several people who were very passionate about our cause (I wont name names because I wouldn't want anyone to be adversely affected my our unfortunate incident) but you know who you are and we thank you for being so kind to us. It seems the entire community knows about this situation, this morning the victoria house staff gave us a ride on their golf cart to town. When we stopped for traffic a man on the side of the road told the driver, "hey you wanna come in and shop for golf cart parts?" I thought that was hillarious. Anyhow, I will keep you posted on Thank for all of your kind words and advice. I love my AMEX but I will use only cash from here on out for security deposits.
Sandra

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 09:05 PM

Good to know you're still enjoying yourselves by spending time at Pedro's! That place is bound to take your mind off of life's stresses! :P

I will start using that solen cc I have - for deposits...

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 09:07 PM

Nice to see the Dawg come out and play - you've made Leah-Ann's day! laugh

Glad to see you have so much support Sandra - that's how most folks on the island are!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 09:26 PM

TQ you are too funny! We really are enjoying ourselves in spite of it all. We attribute our ability to continue on with our wonderful vacation, to the true quality of the people here on the island.
Posted By: Banana Beach

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 10:23 PM

Well we figured one thing out last night at Pedro's... and that is they aren't going to be able to pay for the golf cart off of their poker playing. ;-)

Posted By: JZB

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 10:30 PM

Sorry to hear this has all happened to you! I can't believe they think they can get away with it. For 6,000 benjamins you can buy a brand new cart!

I'm happy to hear this horrific experience hasn't tarnished (too much) your view of our island. I'm sure everything will work out in the end.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 10:35 PM

I thought that was 6,000 Washingtons! Wow! Hehehehe.
Posted By: carl 60

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 10:42 PM

One good thing will come out of this is that CC is a smallplace and when someone runs into a problem everyone knows about it and a business with a bad rep. won't be around long.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 10:43 PM

sorry AC
Posted By: Aviator

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 11:27 PM

Hi I have been following this and think that your dealings with Island Tours is absoulutely CRIMINAL! I can't think of anything to say it makes me so angry. We used to rent from them every time we were down and it won't happen again...ever.

I also USED to shop there, and for whoever asked Island MArket and Island Tours are owned by the same family.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 11:43 PM

Yeah I asked. I wanted to know if the two entities were linked as I had run into issues with quality of goods sold at Island, addressed the issue and was ignored. Oh well, if they do not want my money then who am I to argue?

I really hope the vacationers get satisfaction in the system regarding this because it is very upsetting to hear stories like this.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/27/07 11:45 PM

PS I emailed Island Tours the first day of your post ([email protected])and as of now I have not recieved a reply. The following is what was in the email that I sent:

Quote:

IS THIS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is half true, no if it is one quarter true I will never rent a cart or shop at your store ever again. I am down two or three times a year (this year for 8 weeks minimum) and have spent a very, very large amount of money at your establishment. No more. Part of doing business is expecting that there will be the unexpected and you are charging enough to cover that. If I were you I would be severely embarrased.

(insert your post here Sandra)

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 12:48 AM

On one occasion I paid for my goods in the shop then remembered another item and went to get it - the shop was otherwise deserted so I just left my bags at the checkout (avoids suspicion that I've added something to the bags). When I returned with the additional item the manager (who was running the checkout) said I hadn't paid for the rest of the goods and would have to pay before he would let me leave. Needless to say I did leave with my goods and didn't pay again, but it was a fairly unpleasant few moments. He knew exactly what he was doing, and did it deliberately. I've rarely been back there since, even though it's my closest shop.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 12:49 AM

Aviator, as time goes by I continue to be shocked at the response this horrible event has produced. What you have said is amazing to me and may be one of the reasons we still have not been served with court papers stating they are suing us. We have actually been hanging out all day at the resort for them to "serve" us, we left only for breakfast. We cannot thank you enough for putting in the effort to email them in our support. I hope someday I can repay you in beer smile Oh, and Mr. Banana Beach, we will meet again on Saturday, I for one am looking forward to it wink
Sandra
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 01:34 AM

Banana Beach, have you no compassion ? smile

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 02:22 AM

On one trip we purchase some cheese from Island Grocery and when we got back to our condo and opened it up it was all moldy. We brought it back and they acted quite put out that we wanted a refund. We have shoped there every trip, but after this thread....no more!
Posted By: wonderwoman

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 03:25 AM

Good luck on suing anyone for anything. Have tried, got horribly attacked by two rottweilers, couldn't work for 3 months, came within 24 hours of having my foot amputated! You are kind of on your own here. In some ways, it's good, but in a lot of others, it's HORRID!! I love Cholo's golf cart rentals, if the cart doesn't do what it's suppose to, they exchange and I really haven't heard anything bad about them! I lived next door to Island Supermarket when they first opened, some of the best prices around then, I only go there to get cat food (persnickity cat) and boiled peanuts in a can. Can't afford them anymore. After they had a bad fire and a bad hurricane(Keith), they got more expensive and do what they want. Sorry for the golfcart incident. That hurts this island!!! and there are so many good people here who would look after you!!!
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 04:21 AM

Wow, sorry to hear about this experience. Obviously, a rogue dog started this whole chain of events. I hope someone took good photos of the golf cart. I would want to be at a hearing in Belize, not depend on an attorney there.

Makes me think of 2 very unpleasant travel experiences years ago, both in Mexico: in Cabo, a pack of wild dogs surrounded us, just walking down a public street, growling and bearing their teeth. Quite scary. We managed to jump up on the seawall and onto the sand, very slow and quietly. Years later, my former husband and I parked our rented VW on a street in Cozumel, leaving our snorkel gear and a bunch of gifts/souveniers we bought, locked inside and hidden. Went to drink and eat, came out, and the vehicle was gone. Towed away, we discovered, allegedly because we parked on the wrong side of the street. Had to go to office of head island Commandont - the dude in charge. I was so nervous. Guns, uniforms, etc. $20 bucks and 2 minutes later, we were out of there, with all of our stuff still in the car! Never so happy to give anyone $20 in my life!

At least you still are having some fun. Good luck
Posted By: mitzi

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 04:33 AM

Sorry to hear of your experience w/Island cart people. Wishing you well.

We were just about to make a res w/same company, as that is who I think our hotel suggested. Not sure who it will be now, however, I know who it will not be.

They had too many chances to take the high road and fix thier "error", and didn't do it. Shame on them.

Glad you are enjoying your stay anyway!!!

Mitzi

Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 10:24 AM

Mitzi- On my last two trips to SP I have used " Carts Belize" through The Resort I stay in ( Xanadu). I have never had a problem with them .*

* this is not an endorsement, just a suggestion who you might want to rent from. Ask them about thier 20% discount program.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 02:50 PM

Hello,
Today is the day we are supposed to be in court. However we needed to be served papers to go and that has not happened as of yet. So, we are on our way to eat breakfast at our resort and if nothing comes up we are going snorkeling! I am sick of waiting for them. Maybe they've been reading this message board and have changed their minds. Yesterday evening the police cheif said that they had not filed papers and if we were not served, go about our business (or vacation). I am going to call amex later today and hopefully our money has been returned.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 02:56 PM

Hopefully they make it right and then drop the issue. It is evident that a lot of folks monitor this board, including the local expats and business owners. More importantly, the tourists and prospective tourists.

I know this adds a different color to the vacation, but I see you are enjoying the rest of it as best you can. Every place seems to have its predators, unfortunately.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 03:27 PM

So true Bobber and other who mentioned the fact that they had a few chances to make it right... stooooooooooooopids! They have certainly lost out on business just simply from this thread and from the locals who know what's going on. Shame on them... probably will have lost at least $6000US!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 03:29 PM

Greed is a terrible master. I see no other reason for such behavior.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 04:32 PM

I e-mailed them and told them I would walk before I would consider using their services.Loss of bussiness is the only way to get attention from people like them.
Posted By: kathyw

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 05:04 PM

Let's bombard them with e-mails, telling them how you feel about this scheme.([email protected]) When they loose business over greed,they might change their ways. (not)
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 05:25 PM

!!!
Posted By: mobunny

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by kathyw
Let's bombard them with e-mails, telling them how you feel about this scheme.([email protected]) When they loose business over greed,they might change their ways. (not)

I just emailed them too. I hope this all turns out okay for you. mobunny
Posted By: Scuba do

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 06:48 PM

I just E-mailed them and it was returned--wrong address--will check my end of the deal-may have copied wrong
Posted By: h20lover

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 06:58 PM

I also emailed Island Tours, as I was to rent from them next week and here is their response:

We have no problem with your decision. I just hope you continue to reading about this matter. I have been very anxious to post my side but for the fact that we are doing everything on the legal way I have been advice not to do so until the case is solved in court. As soon as we have finish with the
case I will go to the web and post the story from our side and you will see the difference.
I am not Shame of the way I have manage the situation and I also don't feel that I have rip off no one. Like I said before, after the case you will get a lot of things cleared.

Thanks for your comment have a nice day!
Karol Maldonado

Don't think their response changed my mind!!!!!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 06:59 PM

Hi, I just got off the phone with AMEX. You won't believe this but the charge is still there! We leave Sunday but mark my word if that charge has not been credited by monday we will call the San Pedro police and press charges. I found out something interesting from AMEX- the $6000 charge was put through at 8:21am mountain standard time, which makes it 9:21 here. Basically what this means is that within a few minutes of our arrival they charged my card. They stood around hmmmhaaaing for a couple of hours trying to come up with their "estimate", which is complete BS because they had that $6000 figure within 5 minutes of seeing us. One thing I keep forgetting to mention is that not one time did any of the people from this establishment show any type of concern for our well being. No "are you ok?" "can I call a doctor for you?" nothing like that. My husband had blood running from his finger, it looked pretty meaty and I asked if she knew where we could find a doctor and she said she didn't. I went into their store and bought peroxide, water to clean it, and bandaids. They could not have cared less.
I am starting to worry that maybe the reason we haven't been served or heard from them at all is because they have our money and never reversed it, so why take us to court? The police told her she'd be arrested for this but maybe she doesn't believe them or care? We'll see soon enough.
Posted By: seashell

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 07:18 PM

Why are you waiting to pursue your side of the case?
Posted By: 1izecreemlady

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 07:26 PM

The correct email is [email protected] I emailed them also. I couldn't imagine having such a thing happening to me. I am self employed and take great care in making sure my customers are treated with respect and fairly. I am so thankful that this board is here. Most people would not have known how you were targeted by this unscrupulous business. I hope everything turns out in your favor. I will be praying for a favorable outcome.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 08:07 PM

Island rentals has to sue her for non payment before Sandra-rx can defend herself.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 08:09 PM

Why can't Sandra-rx sue them for charging her the $6000 in the first place?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 08:16 PM

I dunno. I haven't seen the rental contract/waiver that was signed when they initially rented the vehicle.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 08:19 PM

OK, thanks. It just seemed to me that if the police were willing to arrest them for processing the first $6000 and that all of the other appraisals were for much less, then she should be able to bring suit herself and serve them for a partial refund based on an overcharge.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 08:21 PM

As for Island Rentals, I've no doubt that there are two sides to every story. However, it does seem that since they have the $6000, and the tourists will be leaving for the US, then Island Rentals need do nothing. They are sitting pretty, rightly or wrongly.
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 08:31 PM

The language in the rental contract/waiver/damage provisions will probably hold some weight in resolving this matter one way or the other.

Don't think a suit is necessary (at this point) for the $6k charged to AMEX. I would definitely dispute it in writing - it can be considered a fraudulent charge.

I am not willing to send an e-mail to Island Rentals, but will remember not to use them when I return to the island.

Hope it all works out.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 10:41 PM

In my experience Amex are way more reluctant to reverse/credit a charge than are Visa or Master. I've experienced it both ways around, as have family members. Once this is all over, ditch the Amex card.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/28/07 11:23 PM

I carried AmEx for over 35 years and never had a problem getting them to reverse any charges that were in question. KEEP YOUR AMEX !
Posted By: twocanphotogirl

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/29/07 12:23 AM

wow....Not surprising stuff here everyone...

I'm afraid I also have had a terrible experience with the Island Store and they sent me to the manager of the golf cart place.

I'm an amiacable person (did I spell that right?) therefore I chickened out and bailed on the confrontation... I'm out only $130US but will never shop there again. Don't tell my husband....I told him I got it worked out....

I'm afraid I might have set the standard for allowing them to bully people around.... That's too bad...

As far as AMEX they are the best..... My humble 10 years experience with them.
Posted By: crockhunter

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/29/07 12:33 PM

Hey everyone, I've watched this thread for several days. My comment would be, there are two sides to every dispute, and while the story may be believable no one should rush to judgement without hearing both sides. Remember, a judge would want to hear both sides before ruling. I know what it is like to be advised not to discuss a situation and have to sit by while the other party publicly attacked me.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/29/07 01:54 PM

Crock - many of us have had personal dealings with this business, and our opinions are pretty consistent.
Posted By: Sunny Day

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/29/07 02:52 PM

one bit of information regarding the assumption that 5 minutes after arrival the vendor had the money from AmEx - i guess it's possible, but from all i know it's higly unlikely. There are two reasons many establishments don't take AmEx - the % they charge the vendor to use the cars (4%) and delays in crediting vendor.

You may have an AmEx beef too.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/29/07 04:02 PM

Even if there is damage to the cart, there is no way it would cost $6k to fix unless they tried to drive it out to the reef. Is that quote from a government contractor or what?
And don't most cart companies include an insurance cost in your rental? Isn't that what insurance is for?
I'm still dumbfounded by this whole thing. It will certainly need to be solved before leaving the island or it probably never will.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/29/07 04:54 PM

My nephew and 4 of his college football buddies rolled a cart and actually broke the frame in half. The tab was $1,800 usd which included, among a bunch of other stuff, a new frame.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 03:35 PM

They served us yesterday late afternoon with an injuction preventing me from leaving the country. We're supposed to leave today, I have no idea what we're going to do. We have a child at home and of course our jobs. We spent the evening cunsulting with the US embassy and talking to a lawyer in Belize city

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 03:41 PM

Best wishes with you, Sandra. We are all watching the outcome of this.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 03:46 PM

They've already taken $6000 from you. What more do they want?
Posted By: 1izecreemlady

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 04:04 PM

Good luck Sandra. What goes around comes around and they will get it in the end!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 04:34 PM

The $6000 has been reversed (not charged to the account for paynent yet) because the SP police made her void it and took her copy of my credit card. However, the charge is still "approved" and has not dropped off of my AMEX. I am not sure what we're going to do. I'll let you know.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 04:36 PM

Wow! I had no idea they could prevent you from leaving the country. What would happen if you just went to the airport?

Seems to me some other local business owners might want to take an interest in this matter. I can't see how this would be helpful to anyone...

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 04:58 PM

With my limited knowledge of the law(right, Leah-Ann?) but with my experience with people would indicate that they are using that as a lever to get you to cave in and pay whatever they want. This is going to follow them (Island tours) for a long time.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 05:52 PM

Jeez, what a freakin nightmare. Hang in there and let us know how you are doing. mobunny
Posted By: Short

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 06:10 PM

Sandra,

I haven't read the whole thread, only parts of it and I think you'd better come to a settlement with the golf cart company. Do you have travel insurance? Claim it!

The problem you are facing is that a dispute over BZ$ 5,000 has to go to the Supreme court in Belize (not the Magistrate's court in San Pedro). Now the Supreme court is years behind in its cases, so the earliest your case will be done is probably in 1 to 3 years - with smart lawyers it can take 5 years or more. I guess you don't want to extend your stay here that long.

As a foreigner having a dispute with a Belizean entity, it is the court's obligation to make sure that either party can fulfill the debts that are being claimed. When you leave the country you are out of the jurisdiction of the Belize court and then you might decide not to come back.

The only way you will be allowed to leave the country is when you put up a Security of Funds for the amount claimed plus the legal costs the other party may incur when you loose. On top of that you have to pay for your lawyer and I don't think they will start a Supreme court case with a deposit lower than US$ 5,000.

This system is not unique to Belize, in fact I think any country (including the USA) has similar protections in place for their citizens.

Don't take my word for it - I am not a lawyer, nor a specialist - ask an attorney. Keep in mind that whatever the Police tells you is worth near to nothing, as the Judge has to make a final decision (and that can take years).

An other idea is to contact the Belize Tourism Board; they can make a quick decision and their judgment weighs heavily as they are part of the Government, in charge of Tourism. Always keep in mind though, that if the golf cart company insists it can still put the ruling of the BTB aside and go to court.

Short
Posted By: SimonB

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 06:52 PM

I agree that BTB might be your best bet at this time.
Posted By: toy4irma

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 07:15 PM

Since renting a golf cart and bouncing around San Pedro (literally) is part of the charm I WILL be reading the rental
policy very closely. We have never read it, not sure we got one,
just signed away our CC and bumped on down the road..actually
up the road to Captain Morgans.
Anyone have a copy of a Golf cart rental agreement??..different policies for different rentals I suppose. Planned on booking on a cart line for the end of this month Perhaps I should wait to see the out come with Sandra..I have a feeling all golf Cart policies may change...
Posted By: toy4irma

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 07:19 PM

???booking a cart line........OMG..!!!
get excited just thinking about coming there smile
THAT was "booking a cart on line".

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 07:40 PM

Oh Sandra_rx, I am so sorry to hear about what you're going through.

Hope the US Embassy and your lawyer can help you greatly on this especially as I know you want to get home to your little one.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 08:52 PM

For clarification I would like to say that with my previous post I am not choosing the side of the rental company; I am just trying to give some practical advice and explain the way our courts work.

As for the company Island Tours Golf Cart Rentals: I would also urge them to settle quickly for a realistic amount (a new golf cart doesn't cost that much), as they are severely damaging tourism here with their stupid actions. No matter what the other side of the story is, the damage can never be that much.

Sandra, you have my sympathy and support!

Short
Posted By: DitchDocDiver

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 09:37 PM

Sandra,

I am so sorry that this happened to you and your party. I wish you the best of luck, PRN and a postive outcome.

Short,

Thanks for an insight that I didn't think of.

MODS,

Thanks for not sweeping this under the rug and deleting the posts.

Island Tours, Island Grocery, et al

I'm sure that there are 3 sides to the story, us, them and what really happened. I am sure, like many others would like to hear your side.

Please remember that it takes a WHOLE lot of $$$ to over come negative publicity, and I hope you are sure of your story.
Posted By: RNdiver

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 09:44 PM

Sandra- how did everything go in court? were you able to get any pics from our trip on tues? if not I will send you some of mine.
I hope everthing went better for you after we saw you at the chicken drop.
email me if you want or PM me here

RNdiver (kristine)
Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 10:21 PM

Sandra-rx, I believe short is referring to 'giving security for costs'. Normally, the Defendant would move the court to order the Plaintiff to give such security for costs, as the Plaintiff must take the Defendant as he finds him financially. Perhaps if Sandra were to move the court to order the golfcart company to deposit such security in the amount of the disputed charge, and stay the proceeding until such time as the security $ was tendered to the court, the case would be withdrawn by the golf cart company. I'm not a lawyer, but I've lived in Belize. Good luck to you.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 10:59 PM

Yes iluvbelize, I mean "giving security for costs" thanks for correcting me; somehow I can never remember the right wording for that term.

As for your suggestion; Sandra can't move the court to order the golf cart company to deposit such security, as they are a Belizean entity, and remain under the jurisdiction of the Belize court.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 11:11 PM

Sure she can, although it would be prudent for her to deposit $1500 BZ, or whatever the amount of the highest repair bid is that she received, into a Belizean bank of her choice, file an affidavit stating that she has sufficient assets located in the jurisdiction, and that security for costs should be paid by Plaintiff before any further action may be taken. I would attach as Exhibits to the affidavit copies of the rental agreement, the estimates she has from reputable local mechanics, and a copy of her bank pass book binder reflecting her name and amount of money on deposit to the affidavit. Keep it honest, clean, organized, and the Supreme Court will be more likely to consider and rule in her favor, and hear her motion for costs sooner than later with the affidavit on file. You don't need to be a Belizean citizen to bypass the order for security for costs as far as I know. Of course, what I know may be useless... here. I just think if she moves quickly with this strategy, she may also move for a removal of the injunction upon her leaving the country to get back to her child. I'd also put that in the affidavit. They love a robust affidavit in lieu of lazy uninterested attorneys wasting the court's time and the client's money. Trust.
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 09/30/07 11:24 PM

In this case would everyone please send an email to localtourism@travelbelize.org (BTB) stating their support for Norman and Sandra Warren-they are currently in a hotel in Belize City as they have not been allowed to leave the country.
Posted By: flip flop

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 01:51 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a previous complaint on here about Island Tours? I couldn't find it, but I remember somebody complaining about the same type of "hold-up."

As far as I'm concerned, and it's just me, but if I really needed to leave Belize, there's always a way across the border and I would have long been gone.

NOT that I'm saying one should leave a legal issued unresolved, but this is bordering on assinine. Better to be safe (and home) and deal with foreign relations on firmer ground.

Just my two cents worth....
Posted By: suecate

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 02:22 AM

I can't believe all this over a golf cart. We are coming back and were going to rent a cart but am having second thoughts. Don't want to be held for a golf cart. Bad for tourism if the gov't does this over a small matter.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 02:37 AM

There are many reputable golf cart rental operations that have been in business for years without complaint.
Posted By: DJH

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 01:56 PM

Sorry to here about your incident. I really belive those of us who come to the island for vacation and have things like this happen to us need to make a fuse and have the police called. If more of us do it maybe these company's will stop trying to take advantage of the tourist. My husband and I and our friends had things happen to us last Feb and it is posted on the trip report section. (after 15 years coming to the island)

Denise
Posted By: carnes

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 05:39 PM

Really sorry for your troubles....I know it is little
comfort but they will pay for this many times over...
many people follow this message board...I cannot see
how anyone will do business with these people in the
future.
And this is not good for any other businesses on AC !!!
It will make people think San Pedro is a tourist trap
I really think the Chamber of Commerce or Town Council
should get involved.
Many people are pulling for you !!
Maybe we could start a donation drive to help but we would need
a local to handle things in San Pedro.
ANY LOCAL TAKERS !!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 05:48 PM

Any body have the email address for the Chamber of Commerce & Town Council? m

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 06:18 PM

Town Board [email protected]

Chamber [email protected]

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 06:32 PM

Thanks a bunch..
Posted By: Danny2

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 06:42 PM

Man, what is Island tours golf cart rentals thinking? Who's running the show?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 07:15 PM

If Island Supermarket/Auto had given those folks 6 grand and a free trip to Disneyland it would have been cheaper than the amount of lost business they probably has suffered already.
It amazes me to see how short sighted some people are. They have not just shot themselves in the proverbial foot, they amputated it.
Jikes!!
Posted By: Portofino

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 07:21 PM

FYI some partial quotes from the Business Forum to let you all know that the situation is being addressed. the 3 first quotes are from yesterday, and the last quote is from today.
Jan

Originally Posted by SPBA member
We would like to ask you to email or fax the BTB and urge them to make a quick binding ruling in this case, so these tourists are not being held hostage in Belize, and they are not being ripped off - we are not asking for you to support either side or the other: the decision should be fair.

www.sanpedrobusiness.com

The release can only come from the court; Belize has a separation of powers between Executive, Legislative and Judicial just like any other democracy. That being said, politics can persuade the company to drop charges by pulling their licenses. That would be mainly the BTB (PUP), but also the Mayor and the town board (UDP) are a possibility. A problem that may present itself could be the upcoming elections in March.

At least 4 business people from the San Pedro Business Association are personally involved in this matter now. The Tourists will be taken by the hand to the BTB. Through this post and a mass email earlier today to 400 business people on Ambergris Caye, the BHA and BTIA we are asking support to show the BTB how serious the local businesses are, forcing them to rule and pressure Island Tours Golf Cart Rentals to follow their ruling.

The San Pedro Business Association has volunteered to take over these folk's position of responsibility for any damage claim over $2,000 Belize. Must go now as I am meeting another member of the SPBA in a few minutes to fly to Belize City in regards to this issue.
Posted By: Pam&Dave

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 07:37 PM

Looks like members of the SPBA are stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing. Only makes sense, this is a horrible story for a potential visitor to get a hold of.
Thanks for sharing these messages Jan.
Posted By: Barnacle

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 07:43 PM

is this the same grocery store that seems to charge double what is the going rate for grocerys?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/01/07 08:18 PM

Jan,
Thanks much for the updated info. The input of other SP businesses probably carries more weight than a multitude of emails from tourists. Good job!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 02:26 AM

Barnacle - yes, it is. It's also the one that likes to add to the charge if it thinks you won't notice. Sadly, as Simon said earlier, it's also a shop that sometimes stocks items not available elsewhere.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 02:52 AM

Hello all,
We are doing well. I want to say to Suecate, I for one and my husband in tow, will return to San Pedro and won't think twice about renting a golf cart. I just won't ever do any type of business with the family that owns island groceries, carts and hardware stores. The San Pedro business association was there with us to meet with our lawyer as well as Brent and Javier from Victoria house who remained with us all day until they almost missed their flight back to San Pedro (Thank you Brent for getting us a comped room at the Radisson in Belize City). We have court in the morning so that maybe we can go home. I can assure you that Norman and I have been very well taken care of by Victoria House, Pedros Inn, Banana Beach and many other caring people around the island. Normally, when travelers have to deal with a situation like this, they duck and run because they are in a foreign country with no assistance. We don't feel as if we are in a foreign country at all rather we have a new extended family we can't wait to come back and visit. We are really bummed out we couldn't hang out at Pedro's tonight but we'll be there again soon. Perhaps tomorrow night if we can't go home wink I'll post again after court tomorrow. Norman and I cannot thank the the Vicotria House and the San Pedro Business Association enough for standing up for our case. What you have done for us is an incredible act of kindness and nothing we could say or do could ever reflect our gratitude.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 02:55 AM

Sandra,
Thanks for keeping us posted. Many of us are very interested in the outcome of this situation. You couldn't have found better businesses to stand up for you: Victoria House, Peter, Banana Beach - the best there is. Good luck tomorrow!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 03:04 AM

It is nice to know that when the chips are down, that there are some shinning stars that aren't afraid to step up to the bar.

Kudos to all that have help a fellow tourist, and gone above and beyond.

I'll make sure I patronize the shinning stars if I can, when I return to Belize.

Thanks for keeping us posted, and best of luck on Tuesday.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 03:55 AM

Sandra-rx, I do hope it all get sorted out tomorrow.

All the best.
Posted By: kayesscee

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 05:09 AM

This whole thing absolutely appalling! I lived in San Pedro for three years, and while I had some issues with this grocery store a number of times, I put it down to my own negligence when I bought things past their due date (still on the shelves) and was overcharged or double-charged for items. I got better about checking dates (though they also got better when they began rubbing the dates off), and I became hyper-vigilant at the checkout for pricing (they often tried to overcharge, but I caught them and they corrected themselves without any animosity). I heard plenty of people tell me to watch it when I shopped there, but I tend to see the best in people and stupidly, I always gave them the benefit of the doubt (they were busy, going too fast, etc.). Now I'm seeing it all in a new light. I realize I don't have both sides of the story and I reserve final judgement until then, but given the little things I saw on a daily basis this story rings too true. I'm sorry, Sandra. This just sucks to have happen on your vacation. Glad it didn't sour you on San Pedro and the mostly wonderful people who live and do business there.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 12:49 PM

Sandra, best wishes for a good outcome. As for the other parties that have gotten involved (even when they didn't have to), my congrats for getting involved. The people of SP are very special, and this is another confirmation. Doing the right thing is the best advertising available, and they will definitely get my business. Others won't of course.
Sandra and Norman, thank you for not caving in like most people would. Saying you would come back says loads about your character, I am impressed. Something may come to a head here that has probably been brewing for awhile.
Posted By: jason0515

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 09:29 PM

Any more news on this fiasco? Wow, scarry that these crooks at Island rentals are getting away with this. Yes?
Posted By: jason0515

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 09:31 PM

Any more news on this fiasco? How are these crooks @ Island tour rentals are getting away with this? Seems like locals would want to nip this kind of stuff in the bud before SP gets a BAD rep.. HUH?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 09:54 PM

According to the last update I received the San Pedro Business Association has taken over liability, and they are on their way home.
Jan

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 09:59 PM

I salute the SPBA.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 10:41 PM

My salute also. I assume that taking over liability does not mean that it is resolved. I would like to see what the final resolution is. After getting one side of the story, it would be interesting to get the rest of it. At least they are on their way back to their lives. Hopefully, justice will be served.

Again, thanks to the SPBA, they are honorable people and will continue to get whatever business we can bring their way.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/02/07 11:01 PM

They just took off and are in the air.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Channel 5 - October 2

Dispute over golf cart strands tourists in Belize

[Linked Image]

It may not be classified as a crime but two U.S. tourists were prevented from leaving the country for the last two days. Their story, while not very flattering to Belize’s reputation for hospitality, points up the need for a better way to resolve disputes involving visitors to our shores. News Five’s Janelle Chanona explains.

Sandra Warren, Sued for Golf Cart
“We never in a million years expected such questionable business practices, never.”

Janelle Chanona, Reporting
Like many visitors to Ambergris Caye, when American tourists Sandra and Norman Warren arrived in San Pedro Town on September twenty-third, they decided to rent a golf cart. The couple signed a week-long contract with Island Tour Rental Limited, but four days later the vehicle crashed.

Janelle Chanona
“Tell me about this accident, did you roll over, did you...

Norman Warren, Crashed Golf Cart

“It just tipped over. I veered like this because a dog was going to bite my feet and I lifted my feet and turned and I turned into the fence a little and there was a little embankment and the golf cart just tipped over.”

Witnesses helped turn the vehicle right side up, but the Warrens say when they reported the incident to the golf cart company everything went downhill. The couple say they were willing to pay but when employees told them the repairs would cost twelve thousand dollars, the tourists were shocked. They decided to get a separate estimate from a local mechanic, who put the bill at eleven hundred bucks. A subsequent traffic police report assessed the cost at “no more than two thousand dollars.” But Island Rentals wasn’t budging and on Saturday night, Sandra Warren was served with an injunction, barring her from travelling home the next day.

Sandra Warren
“This is just, I wish they would have just settled, we were ready and willing to pay for everything last Wednesday, but they tried some intimidation tactics and trickery, serving us the night before we leave thinking that we’re just going to pull the money out of our pocket, it’s not fair.”

“We tried to negotiate with her. We told her we’d be more than happy to pay for what is really wrong with the cart. We’ll give you a thousand dollars. No. So then she served us with the papers and that day they already wanted to negotiate. They were willing to take four thousand five hundred U.S. dollars and we said no, that’s not the price of what’s wrong.”

Unable to go home, the Warrens were forced to retain attorney Anthony Sylvester to present their case in the Supreme Court this afternoon. And in court today, Aldo Reyes, representing Island Tour Rentals actually asked the court to imprison Warren. That request was denied, but Reyes says his clients are simply trying to recover their costs, which now amounts to fifteen thousand dollars.

Aldo Reyes, Attorney for Island Tour Rentals
“Mrs. Sandra Warren is a tourist to Belize and she was scheduled to leave on Sunday so if she would have left, our client would have been left without any type of recourse to proceed her in the States, there are no reciprocal enforcements arrangements with the States.”

“Liability has been admitted, it’s just now the quantum of the repairs, the quantum of the damages. We have our estimates that are claiming one amount and their estimates are claiming an amount, so it’s just to come to figure that’s agreeable to all parties.”

Today the court ruled that the Warrens could go home until the substantive case is heard.

Anthony Sylvester, Attorney for Warrens
“It is really shocking and in a sense frustrating and distressing to the defendants, but the good news is that this won’t deter them, they will still come back to Belize.”

Janelle Chanona
“Now, they get to go home today right?”

Anthony Sylvester

“Yes.”

Janelle Chanona
“Now they do have to come back [for court]?”

Anthony Sylvester
“They will have to come back for the trial proper, but in addition to that they still want to visit Belize on vacation.”

Janelle Chanona
“As for as a message to golf cart renters, what do you think this sends?”

Aldo Reyes

“Well just be very careful of the terms of golf cart rental, read them, and be very careful when you drive your golf cart.”

Advice the Warrens say they will definitely take the next time they’re in Belize. No date has been set for the golf cart trial. Reporting for News Five, I am Janelle Chanona.

The San Pedro Business Association has agreed to provide eight thousand dollars as security for the Warrens in their case against Island Tour Rentals. The couple hails from Phoenix, Arizona and it was their first visit to Belize. Despite their troubles, they say they will vacation here again as they thoroughly enjoyed the rest of their experience.

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=19357

Originally Posted by Channel 7 - October 2
Tourists Who Crashed Golf Cart Sued

[Linked Image]

Tonight an American couple who were on vacation in Belize are happy to be on the way back to their home in Phoenix Arizona after they had been denied permission to leave Belize. The couple is Norman and Sandra Warren and it is the Supreme Court which barred them from leaving the country.

The story began on September 23rd when the couple rented a golf cart from Island Tour Rental Company in San Pedro. But while driving the cart through the island on September 26th, dog chased the couple and they lost control of the cart, hit an embankment and flipped the cart.

The roof was damaged and the couple concedes that they caused it and agreed to pay to fix it. But the golf cart rental company wanted the couple to pay $12,000 for a new cart – even though two mechanics offered to fix it for $1,000. That is because the company claimed the chassis was broken.

So the golf cart company took it to the Supreme Court and sued the couple for the $12,000. Their attorney Aldo Reyes got an injunction barring the couple from leaving the country. But today the couple’s attorney – Anthony Sylvestre Jr., from Musa and Balderamos, got the green light from the Supreme Court for the couple to leave the country.

The San Pedro Business Association agreed to take on the case and the responsibility in order for the couple to leave the country.

We note that the golf cart company had already charged $6,000 on the couple’s American Express credit card for damages. Also notable is that the chassis of the golf cart was damaged and the replacement part isn’t available in Belize.

The tour company’s manager Carol Maldonado told us this evening that if the chassis was welded, it would endanger the lives of future drivers because a welded chassis won’t be reliable because of the salt water on the island. She says she would have to buy an entirely new golf cart for them to get the replacement chassis. She says all her company wants is their golf cart back in working condition.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/archive/10010707.html

Originally Posted by Ambergris Today - October 3
Incident Strands Tourist in Country

[Linked Image]

This past weekend an incident occurred between Island Tour Rentals and a couple visiting the island that could post some negative effects on San Pedro's tourism. According to the Warrens, they are being over charged for damages caused to a golf cart which they had rented at Island Tour Rentals - a small incident that could cause a ripple effect on the tourism industry here on the island and the country of Belize on a whole.

According to Sandra Warren they arrived on the island on Saturday, September 23, and rented a golf cart from Island Tour Rental. On Wednesday, September 26, they were heading to town from Victoria House when a dog started chasing them and tried to attach her husband, Norman Warren, who was driving. Her husband veered to the right and hit an embankment and the golf cart tipped on its side.

After having turned the cart upright with the help of a few locals, they immediately decided to go to the rental company to inform them of what happened. They had bent the roof of the golf cart and one of the front wheel fenders was torn off. Upon arriving, they asked the manager for an estimate on the damages, thinking that what had happened to the golf cart was minimal. The manager Ms. Maldonado informed them that the chassis was broken and the cart was basically useless. She came up with a charge of $20,000Bze for the cost of a new golf cart.

[Linked Image]

Island Tour Rental then filed a police report. Upon the arrival of the police, they suggested Ms. Warren not to pay for the charges and to get a second opinion because this was not the first incident of its kind involving overcharges by the rental company.

Mrs Warren visited several local mechanics and they all estimated that the most it would cost to repair the damages would be around $2,000Bze. Mrs. Maldonado then showed up with charges of $12,000 to fix up the cart, but was advised by the police to make the matter into a law suit because she was charging more than $5,000. The police removed the copy of Ms. Warren's credit card the company had and told them they were NOT allowed to make any charges on it.

Upon Mrs. Warren arrival to her hotel room later that day she discovered that Island Tour Rental had attempted to make two charges on her credit card, each amounting to $6,000US. Only one charge was accepted by the credit card company.

Upon listening to the Warren's case, the San Pedro Business Association (SPBA) has taken priority over this matter since they want to protect the tourist couple from being extorted from a ridiculous amount of money. The Warrens are being charged for damages to: (i) Lift Kit - $1800 (ii) hubs & Bearings - $420 (iii) Sun tops - $1400 (iv) Front Frame - $265 (v) 1 rear & front fender - $695 (vi) Tie Rods - 250 and Chassis for a grand total of about $6,275Bze.

Island Tour Rentals has taken this case to court and their action had forced the Warrens to stay in Belize beyond their scheduled visit. They were scheduled to leave Belize on Sunday, September 30 but were given an interim injunction preventing them from leaving the country; failing to do so the Warrens could have been sent to prison or have their assets seized.

The San Pedro Business Association volunteered to take over the Warren's position of responsibility for any damage claims over $2,000Bze. The SPBA has done this so that the Warren's can be discharged of the interim injunction and be able to leave the country and return to the United States to attend to their child and return to work. The Warren's appeared in court on Tuesday, October 2, and were allowed to leave the country with an agreement that the San Pedro Business Association take responsibility of the case and represent them in court.

Whatever the case may be, and whether or no the Warren's are being ripped off or not, this small matter can cause great damage to our tourism industry. News on the incident has spread like wild fire over the internet and one can rest assured that some tourists might think twice about renting a golf cart or about coming to the island.

Business should take great precaution in protecting our industry and avoid creating situations that could leave a negative mark on our island. We only hope that this situation will be cleared up as quickly as possible. We should all deal with whatever problems arise in an educated, legal and proper way. Ambergris Today will keep you updated on this matter as information becomes available.

Deep linking to the article is not possible, this is the link to their web site: http://www.ambergristoday.com/

Originally Posted by San Pedro Sun - October 4

Legal dispute over Golf Cart #8

[Linked Image]
Pictured is the golf cart in question. The Warrens were permitted to leave Belize, but will have to return for the court case at a later date.

Golf Cart #8 remains as the golf cart in question and that is the number that Sandra and Norman Warren will never forget. The couple who hail from Phoenix, Arizona rented a golf cart from Island Tour Rentals located inside of the Island Supermarket on September 23rd for a weeklong period. Upon renting said vehicle, the Warrens or rather Sandra, signed a contract, which among many things, stated that the couple will incur any expenses should the cart receive any damages.

Heading to the resort where they were vacationing at, The Victoria House, a dog intercepted the couple’s path with the intention of biting Norman’s feet. This caused Norman, who was driving, to veer to the side where he was met with an embankment, causing Cart #8 to tip over. Witnesses of the accident helped the duo flip the cart to its upright position and immediately drove to Island Tour Rentals to report the incident.

Upon arriving at the company, Karol Maldonado, manager, met the couple and went outside to inspect the damages received. Island Tour’s in-house mechanic was brought in to assess the dents and scratches on the cart. The inspection revealed, according to the company, a broken chassis (the framework of the cart), with damages on the lift kit and three fenders to name a few amounting to a price tag of $12,000. The couple was in shock to think that they would have to pay this amount for according to them, “a golf cart that still runs.” Maldonado claims to have explained to the couple that although it might run, the damages done to it prevent the company from renting it to other people. “We have to think about the safety of our clients,” commented Maldonado, “we can not rent out a cart that is welded and might get broken while another client has it. What if something worse were to happen?”

According to Sandra, Maldonado immediately charged $6,000 to the American Express card that she had provided when she signed the contract. An additional $6,000 was attempted to be tried but AMEX rebutted the charge until they spoke with the Warrens. Unaware that the charge had been made, Sandra waited for police officers to arrive, since the company had called to file a report. Sandra claims that she was warned by reliable sources to get a second opinion before paying any money to Island Tour Rentals. Traffic Department mechanic, Bernard ‘Sambo’ Spain assessed the damages and put them at “no more than two thousand dollars.” Second and third opinions were also received from two other mechanics on the island. With three mechanics having looked at the cart, the Warrens chose to pay Island Tour the highest of the three bids, $2,000. Maldonado refused and stated the fact that she was pursuing legal action against the couple. When the Warrens returned to their hotel, they were shocked to see a charge of $6,000 on their card. The Warrens state that police officers told Maldonado to withdraw the charges which she did. Maldonado alleges that she never made a charge on the couple’s card but rather put the $6,000 on hold for use of payment on a later date.

The couple, after having been served with an injunction barring them from leaving the country, sought legal advice from Anthony Sylvestre since any matter above $5,000 needs to be settled in Supreme Court and can not be contested in San Pedro Magistrates’ Court. Island Tour Rentals stated in an interview with The San Pedro Sun that this matter did not have to go to court. “It could have been easily settled if they would have taken one of the many offers I have extended to them, including to take the golf cart and simply return it the way we rented it out to them. That’s all and even then they refused,” stated Director Mahmoud Harmouch.

The matter was taken to the courts and the San Pedro Business Association, which includes businesses such as Victoria House, Pedro’s Pizza, Banana Beach, Portofino and SEAduced, assisted the couple in any which way they could. “The San Pedro Business Association has been great. If we had been elsewhere and gone through an incident such as this it would have been completely terrifying but having these people help is just amazing,” stated Sandra.

Speaking with the Business Association, The Sun discovered that these individuals were doing their best to help our tourists who patronize our beaches and fall in love with our country. “We can not let this happen to our guests. They are willing to pay, they are aware that they caused those damages. But, they have a son and they have jobs and their lives to get on with. They can not be held hostage in our country for this. Like we said they are willing to pay but they want to pay what is fair,” commented Brent Kirkman, manager, Victoria House.

Not only did the Association help but they took responsibility of the case. “Island Tour Rentals is not suing the Warrens anymore. We have taken up that responsibility so they are in reality suing us. We will pay what needs to be paid and we will be here to contest the matter in court,” commented Kirkman.

After the motion passed through in court, the Warrens were finally free to board their Continental flight en route to Phoenix and their lives. Maldonado ended, “There has been much said about us, not in the best of light, but there are always two sides to what happened. We are in a legal process and we are just letting the court take its course.” Island Tour is being represented by Aldo Reyes.

http://www.sanpedrosun.net/07-391.html

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 06:17 AM

What on earth? It says: "Reyes says his clients are simply trying to recover their costs, which now amounts to fifteen thousand dollars."

OK, a big leap, but let's for a moment assume that the cost for repairs is actually the $4500 that was offered as a settlement amount. How then does Island Rentals costs amount to $15,000? Now, I suppose they are including legal fees.

Not to mention, I find it absolutely baffling that Island Rentals has been and is taking such an extreme position in the first place, the second place and the third place.

Note to Island Rentals, you are causing your name to be smeared all over the internet (not just here on AC message board). I guess you don't care about that or loss of general word of mouth referrals.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 06:30 AM

There's no way they can expect to recover legal costs they have incurred in bringing a vexatious and unnecessary action. But this is Belize and they are Lebanese.....
Posted By: CanBrit

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 06:55 AM

Unfortunitly this situation has already had an effect. Our friends who are joining us in Belize very recently cancelled a planned trip to a resort more remote from San Pedro in favour of one closer. Reason...no need for a golf cart in SP.

They are still coming as planned but a resort not so close to SP just lost buisness for the sake of bad reports regards golf cart rental.

It dosn't matter how many good companies there are, one bad... tars the rest. Too be honest...it's also bikes for my wife and I now in 3 weeks. More work/exercise but less worry.

Shame on Island tours and sorry for lost buisness to those good guys out there...but this is our vacation and not taking chances.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 07:31 AM

WE'RE FREE!!!!! Norman and I are home, very tired and happy to see our son who is enjoying himself immensely saying that mom and dad spent time in the Belizean Prison. I have to work early in the am so I'll start work on a trip report tomorrow. Brent, thanks for the email welcoming us home and to Peter for letting everyone know we had finally been allowed to fly home. Love to you all for saving us, literally, and to all of you who had us in your prayers.
Sandra and Norman Warren

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 12:01 PM

Great to hear that you're both home, safe and sound! I imagine it was just heaven seeing your son. laugh Once again, so sorry about your vacation being marred by such an awful incident. I'm not suprised, however, that so many people had your back. Kudos to each and every one of them!!! San Pedro is truly a wonderful place with wonderful people.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 12:18 PM

It's a small island, everyone will know. It's a big internet, and those that do their research before their first visit will know. Those that have been there will know and probably understand in a little more depth. In my mind, this nets a lot of negative publicity for the cart company, but ten times that in positive publicity for the people who stood up for them. It is amazing that anyone who deals with the tourists could be so short sighted regarding the ramifications of their actions. I get the impression that the Warrens were staying at VH. Would this same thing have happened if they were staying at Rubys? As international travelers, we all realize that stuff happens, and we are usually willing to settle up for a reasonable amount. When someone attempts to royally hose us down, it does upset the applecart.

We are down next month, will rent a cart, and will enjoy ourselves. We will also patronize the SPBA businesses. Guess where we won't go?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 02:15 PM

Whew, glad to hear you guys are home. Just putting it out there - there are MANY REPUTABLE GOLF CART RENTAL COMPANYS in San Pedro. Rent a cart and enjoy seeing all of the town at your leisure, its not to be missed.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 03:29 PM

See San Pedro Daily
http://www.sanpedrodaily.com/10-3-07.html

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 04:49 PM

She's insane. Karol Maldonado that is. The day that she served me with the injuction was the first time they tried to negotiate. That negotiation came down to $4500 (from original $6000) and was based on the fact that they had "discovered" another cart in their inventory and could remove the front end from that one to be used for the cart we damaged.
Just to be perfectly clear, the certified non-biased mechanic Mr. Spain who was hired by the SP police stated on the assessment that there was no damage to the chasis. Our mechanic and VH mechanic stated the same. have a great day all!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 04:56 PM

What a Crock!

Anyway, Welcome home..

and for EVERYONE that assisted a fellow tourist..

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 08:41 PM

I get the impression that the Warrens were staying at VH. Would this same thing have happened if they were staying at Rubys?

Bobber- In response to your question above the answer is: Yes.

Our decision to help was not based on which hotel the Warrens were staying at. Our decision to help was based on that we believe our island has problems with unethical business practices in regards to the rental company in question.

In regards to our help from a better business bureau percpective-membership is not mandatory. That said- membership to the San Pedro Business Association is appreciated and needed.

Thanks,

Tim

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 08:48 PM

BB, my question was intended to mean that "if they were staying in a less expensive lodging, would they have been targeted." I did not mean to imply that you (SPBA) would not have stepped forward if such was the case.

We will be at BB in November, hope to meet you then.

Bobber

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 08:50 PM

Bobber, make Tim buy the drinks grin
Posted By: luv2golf

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 08:52 PM

Of course they would have been targeted, it appears this business has a habit of doing this regardless of where island guests are staying. Thanks to all those who stepped forward to help them out !

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 08:57 PM

This seemed more of a stickup than the usual more common fleecing, so I was just wondering if staying in a bigger bucks spot might have made them a little more, ummm, "capable of paying". Just wondering.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 08:59 PM

I meant, percieved to be capable of paying. smile

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 09:03 PM

Bobber,

I apologize for the misinterpretation. I think it is safe to say that they would not discriminate in this fashion...

I will be in Montana part of November. If my travel dates coincide with yours I'll leave an open tab at Pedro's under Ernie's name for you. ;-) You can have my poker seat too as long as you leave it with some luck!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 09:03 PM

Can we go back to the part where Tim is buying drinks?
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 09:04 PM

I hear ya Bobber -- interesting question. Even morons choose their targets wisely -- otherwise they would have been out of business well before this.

BTW, bar tab time and location noted.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 09:06 PM

Tim,your a peach--Preacher Man

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 09:19 PM

hmmm, not sure that's the fruit I had in mind...

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 09:27 PM

Now that was funny. smile
Posted By: krehfish

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 09:27 PM

Is there a membership list for the business association? I see offers to patronize them(for good reason) but I have no clue who the members are. p.s. I think I can say with complete confidence that my Chamber of Commerce would NEVER have stepped up like the SPBA did.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 09:29 PM

You can find the members here:
http://www.sanpedrobusiness.com/membership.html

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 09:39 PM

Does that Tim have a big heart or what ! Sure, go to Pedros, mention my name and see wut ya git grin

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 09:41 PM

thrown out, perhaps? laugh

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 09:57 PM

I didn't see a link for donations... I got like $32BZ in my paypal account! laugh But seriously, maybe some other US/CAN boarders with larger bank accounts will be able to donate if it becomes an option. Obviously, this is a well worthy cause!

Thanks so much for stepping up, SPBA!
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/03/07 11:14 PM

E would try mentioning your name, but think it may get me a jager lol so I will keep quiet.

Posted By: klcman

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/04/07 12:19 AM

I mentioned his name and Cindy tried to get me to pay his walk tab!
Posted By: azbob

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/04/07 04:38 PM

I have been following this mis-fortune and I have to "belize" that Sara and husband will win in the final court battle. I am extremely impressed with all of your support. I says so much for a community for people to stand against injustice. I am equally impressed with the SPBA. In all my travels I have never heard of a business association assuming such risk for a tourist. Wonderful. I will be coming down in March for 2 weeks for the first time (already have reservations at Rubys)and was going to shop at Island Store and rent a golf cart (10% off coupoun)but not now. I also know a goup of 10 that will in SP November 1st and they will not shop there. This business is going to loose the money equivalent of "many new golf carts".

Sara and hubby: The news article said that you live in Phoenix. I live 90 miles North of you in Prescott Valley. Hope to see you around. If you guys ever escape the valley madness and come to the mountains, give me a call. cell: 928-713-1993.
Posted By: HavinFun

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/04/07 05:02 PM

There are plenty of alternatives to Island Supermarket - for groceries or golf carts.
Posted By: deadserious

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/04/07 09:43 PM

When I was in Belize last, I purchased a case of Diet Dr. Pepper at the Island Supermarket (the only luxury I missed while there). They charged me $80 BZE for the case. I was shocked and haven't shopped there since.
Posted By: Bing Crosby

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/04/07 10:28 PM

Are you kidding me deadserious, they charged you $80.00 and you paid it and now you're mad at THEM and are not going to shop there???? It sounds to me like you have the problem. I'm pretty sure as soon as I saw or heard the price the deal would have been over for me.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/04/07 10:31 PM

ahhhhhh haaaaaaaaa! Bing, I'm sure they did not actually pay the $80!!!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/04/07 11:04 PM

Deadserious did not say he paid it, he said that they charged it. I would not have paid it either. The trip prior to our last at AC I was shopping there and I tried to keep it down a little because I only had $190 BZD on me. He rang everyting up and it came to $310????? I said I was going to have to put something back and that I would like to go over the bill. After investigation I found 2 packs of Colonial's charged as 2 cartons! Error???????????

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/04/07 11:07 PM

Updated the news articles on this subject (not making an new post though, because enough has been said) and you can find it here:
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/26668/Number/251596#Post251596

For those coming or wanting to come to Belize that feel intimidated by this story, I would like to refer to this quote from Sandra in the San Pedro Sun: “The San Pedro Business Association has been great. If we had been elsewhere and gone through an incident such as this it would have been completely terrifying but having these people help is just amazing,” stated Sandra.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/05/07 02:14 AM

Missysp,
This thread is about an incident that occurred last week involving two tourists and a golf cart accident. Why don't you take a moment to reflect on the language you're using and how trashy it sounds, learn from it and come up with something insightful and constructive to discuss?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/05/07 02:47 AM

Amen

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/05/07 02:48 AM

Portofino,
I hesitate to give this anymore press as I feel it is no longer constructive. I never intended for anyone to cancel their cart reservations based on our story, we do not want any of the fine upstanding businesses on SP damaged by our "incident." I feel compelled to say a few things to future tourists. Anyone who travels as extensively as Norman and I have to foreign countries runs the risk of some "incident" occurring during their vacation. No one ever expects it, but it can happen. I think that for the rest of my life every night before I go to bed I will thank God that when it happened to us, we were in San Pedro, Belize. This story should educate travelers NOT shun people from renting golf carts or cause them to change reservations to stay closer to town. Having been to San Pedro I can tell you that while its charm is in part due to its small size, it would be hard to get the full appreciation for the island from a bicycle. There is so much to see and experience and a golf cart affords you this opportunity. I am almost sorry I shared this story as I feel some people may now be hesitant to visit- to you I want to say if you deny yourself a chance to visit this island you are robbing yourself of a truly wonderful experience. My husband and I have always wanted to see the world and we’ve been to many places- now all we want to see is Belize. Once again, we did so much while we were there, we dealt with many of the businesses and have only positive things to say. It would break our hearts to know that the town was adversely affected by us going public about one incident with a single company. WE LOVE BELIZE!!!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/05/07 03:16 AM

Who's missysp? Man I miss everything! frown

Just glad you're back home and hope things will go smoothly for you in the end.

No worries about mentioning your incident on this board. We appreciate being warned. I think the bad plub will go away... unfortunately for that company, they're tarnished indefinitely!
Posted By: mitzi

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/05/07 03:59 AM

Sandra, please do not be sorry for posting your situation. It was definately the right thing to do.

I have never been to AC. We will be there in December for Christmas week. Saw something about the island on TV and decided to go. Anything else I have learned, has been from this message board and a couple of other sites.

After having read about your situation, I know we made the right choice for a vacation destination.

A tourist has a problem, and the local businesses band together to help out?? Where does that happen?? No place I have heard of. The people on AC care about the folks who come to visit.

And to tell you the truth, I am not surprised. After having read this forum for quite some time, I have gathered what a close knit community this is, and that the folks on AC do care about thier friends and guests.

You folks have had a very unfortunate experience, and I am so sorry for that. At the same time, you folks helped bring out some information that we all needed to be aware of. And for that I thank you.

We made our reservations for a golf cart today. Not afraid to do it. Not afraid to travel to AC. In fact, looking very forward to it. More so, in fact, knowing the integrity of other businesses and people on the island.

I wish you well in the outcome of this situation. Would also like to congratulate the SPBA for what they have done. What a wonderful group of people.

Looking forward to our trip. Hope it will be the first of many. Maybe we will luck out one day, and meet you in person.

Take Care,

Mitzi
Jasper, GA

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/05/07 04:49 AM

I KNOW it isn't just me. When we are there, we are not tourists, we are guests of the people who live there. We see them going on about their lives, the kids going to school, and we see the friendliness they project. It is like a second home where we are very comfortable. The people make the place sooo much better than it already is. That's why it is "different" .
Posted By: lref1

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/05/07 10:11 PM

Hi:
I am new here to this forum. We are schedules to vacation on Ambergris in February and will want to rent a golf cart for the week. During this whole ordeal, I did not see any reference to Collision Damage Waiver. Wouldn't this have taken care of the damage to the golf cart?
Posted By: Razorfish

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/06/07 02:41 PM

I read the post/rant from missysp. Other than for language, that could have been edited, I wish I knew why that post was deleted (?) but…if that was the other-side to the story from Island Supermarket, I think we can call it case closed. Proving why defendants should never take the stand.

On the positive side...for anyone reading this thread that has not been to San Pedro, the trip we are planning for next year will be our 5th to belize and 4th to San Pedro. We love it.

We grocery shop at Ritchies Grocery. For all I know they might not have the best prices either but for some reason we connected with them and feel they are ethical, appreciate our business and give us as much respect as we give them. Thats my plug for Ritchies.

We have used Castle Car Rental for a day or 2. They have been fair. But I wouldnt say we have bonded.

Mostly we rent bikes. If you are in good health and the weather is good rent a bike. I have talked to people that have rode their bike to the Northern end of AC and back in a day. We haven't made it further North than Cap Morgans Bar or South to the Sand Bar not to mention many bars and restaurants in-between. I cant remember the bike rental shop name. Last time out, towards the end of the ride, my bike got a flat. With all the road work and construction going on it certainly was not their fault but they didn’t charge us for the use of the bike.

Bottom line, this is a very small tourist town with lots of repeat tourists. People remember us from the few previous years and say hi when walking in the street, from their carts or even saying hi from their balconies. Those are the people we do business with. I hope the people of Island Supermarket have another career path.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/06/07 03:14 PM

newbies fear not: we never had a prob with golf cart rentals with cholo's or moncho's. or any business on AC for that matter.

even had a cart stolen, and an hour later, they just delivered another one. no problem, mon.

never shopped at island for more than odds n ends, thank goodness. charging $40US for dr pepper, or 2 packs of smokes for the price of 2 cartons? that's rich. (dang - woulda liked to have caught missyblah blah's rant wink )

i hear ya, razor - 7 trips to BZ, 5 to AC, and jonesing to get back...
Posted By: elbert

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/06/07 03:18 PM

Thanks for saying that Sweetjane some times our woes posted here can give the wrong impression to Tourist/newbies.
Its a great place

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/06/07 03:42 PM

Just a clarification about missysp's post. It had nothing to do with the position of the golf cart company but was personal attack on some people that had assisted Warrens in their plight.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/07/07 01:59 PM

This will not stop us from renting a Golf Cart and we will certainly throw as much of our support to SPBA members.I know where I will not rent nor buy from!
Posted By: DelightedDiver

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/13/07 04:24 PM

Sandra and Norman,

I'm glad you posted your story. First, it provided info for new visitors (like me) about a business to watch out for. More important, it told the story of how wonderful the people of San Pedro are. There are nine of us coming to San Pedro for our first visit in May and we can't wait!!! This really sounds like a beautiful island and I Belize it.

Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/14/07 09:58 PM

Just returned from 9 days on the Island. In the past we shopped @ the Island Market every trip down. This time "NO WAY JOSE" didn't happen. Lots of other stores to patronize on the Island where the owners and employees appreciate your business. I personally witnessed an argument going on sometime last year @ Island supermarket cart rental where the Manager threw the rental customer out of the store, Had a bad feeling about the place every since (I now think my feeling was right)

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/14/07 11:31 PM

I'm just curious 2miles. If you live north, why would you have been shopping all the way down at Island Supermarket?
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 01:47 AM

Looks like I'll hafta buy my Coke Light, elsewhere. This obviously would not happen if the dog was wearing a collar.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 01:50 AM

How would a collar change arything?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 01:54 AM

wearing a collar changes everything.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 01:55 AM

Please explain...

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 02:51 AM

Yeah.
Posted By: klcman

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 03:33 AM

wow - Jesse & E agree on something??? OMG, repent, the end is near!
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 05:40 AM

The vicious golf cart attacking dog would not have been so bold...if it were wearing identifing dog tag...DUH!!!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 06:15 AM

The next similar supermarket in town by the statue has some Spagetti Hamburger Helper that expired in Aug. 2004. I have been monitoring this for 2 years. Still wondering how long it will last and I am glad I was not betting on when it would sell. There are still 2 left.If they took everything expired off the shelves the store would be half empty/full.It also amazes me that all the dairy products have the same smudges on the dates.
What are the odds?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 12:00 PM

Expiration dates not just a problem in SP. When I lived in NYC I always checked the dates. Often found packages of meat with one date on the bottom, stamped by the producer, and another, later date stamped on the top. At one point there was a big outcry when it was discovered that countless corner stores in low income neighborhoods were selling expired baby formula. I make it a point to check whenever I purchase items in convenience stores as things tend to move slower because of higher prices. I ALWAYS check dates on things like mayo, eggs and meat as these can really make you sick if they're past their expiration date.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 03:05 PM

People got busted in Toronto area for that one before (changing dates on meat)

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 09:30 PM

Seashell, We (Used) to shop @ Island market because they had a lot of product on the shelves (One stop). We also used to (& still shop) @ the stores on the circle (Round a bout)for some items. Most times when we have company with us we use Simon to provision us with necessary items. Where would you suggest we shop at up north, Caye-Mart @ Captain Morgans? confused I am not aware of any (pardon the expression) Super Markets north of the cut. Let me know if there are.
Posted By: Bing Crosby

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/15/07 09:50 PM

Yes, dates are expired and yes, prices are higher than they probably should but at least it's not Wal-Mart!!!!
Posted By: indygal

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/16/07 02:04 AM

I don't want Walmart on the island but it might be an asset in Belize City.

Is Castilo/Santiago still open?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/16/07 07:04 AM

Hey, 2miles, didn't mean to make you all agitated. I was just wondering why you would go all the way down to Island Market when you could shop at the "circle" and/or the Superbuy instead. There was no implication that there's a grocery store up north.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 10/16/07 10:12 PM

Seashell, Not agitated at all. (Sorry if it came across that way) I thought you had some new shopping spot or something. We usually travel by boat while on the island so the circle stores work fine for us as we can tie up on Wet Willy's dock for short periods of time. The island supermarket was an inconvenience for us anyway and we would go there only if we were renting a cart to run errands in town. The ice was usually half melted by the time we got it home anyway laugh

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/07/07 01:26 AM

Update:

when we were in AC in November, we needed something i couldnt find in the smaller markets. we grabbed two bags of stuff. outside, i told Bruce i thought the price was high, and about this thread.

we recounted our items....then he went back in and collected up the $16 bz we were overcharged.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/07/07 11:51 PM

Nice catch Jane. Keep them on their toes smile

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/10/07 06:53 PM

laugh always looking out for my fellow AC traveler...

heck - that $16 bz paid for our next order of conch fritters at the sunset!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/14/07 08:07 PM

When this thing comes to a head, will someone please let the rest of us know the outcome? We do have a high regard for the SPBA, and the way they stepped up to level the playing field is just awe inspiring.
Posted By: tigerwoo

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/23/07 06:29 PM

Is now Cristal Golf Cart Rentals. Hopefully more than the name has changed.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/23/07 06:35 PM

No...Crystal is different owners- different carts- different location.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/23/07 07:29 PM

Maybe so as to different carts and location. Better check a little closer......People that are booking thru what used to be Island Tours are getting Cristal (not Crystal) carts. Also, same staff. Coinsidence????? When was the last time you saw a bunch of Island Tour carts waiting outside the Island Supermarket? Perhaps the San Pedro Daily could put its best gumshoe on the case.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/23/07 07:56 PM

"Gumshoe"???
Strictly barefoot!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/23/07 09:43 PM

Jessie, if you step on some gum it would be gumfoot no? wink

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/23/07 09:45 PM

Maybe..but not "GUMSHOE"!!!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/29/07 06:27 AM

Well here we go again.
My in-laws (14 of them) are here for the holidays and decided to go shopping to feed the masses. They ended up at Island Supermarket. I was not with them unfortunately (but fortunately for the proprietors).
Upon reaching the counter with there selections the clerk asked if they were paying cash or credit card. The response was credit card. The items were then hastily rung up to a total of $964bz and the card was run and a done deal. My sister in law asked for a register receipt and the clerk said he could not print one. After an ugly moment of heated words the clerk finally pressed the button to issue a receipt.
My family left the store. In the parking lot they reviewed the reciept and credit card slip and were dismayed. They promptly returned to the store with the goods and asked the clerk to ring up the items again. This time, under about 6 pairs of eyes, the total was $404bz. No apology was offered but a reversal of $560bz was made on the credit card.
I think I have had enough of this bullshit. I bet they scam $1,000’s a day. They assume that tourists using a credit card on vacation won’t spot the scam. Well they got caught today and there is nothing I can do about it other than tell you folks.
Posted By: Bubba_in_ky

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/29/07 06:50 AM

Are there not laws against FRAUD in Belize? Couldn't/Shouldn't the owners and employees be prosecuted? The reports on this board alone should tell someone it is not a series of random events.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/29/07 03:06 PM

I'm pretty certain tigerwoo is correct. The Island Supermarket is now renting out Cristal Carts. They are just driving the renters over to the new lot by Amals to pick up their carts.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/29/07 03:26 PM

wow,bzonbeach - we only got ripped off there by $16 bz. you guys win the prize! un-be-frickin-lievable.

does SP have like BBB? i suppose not....

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/29/07 03:51 PM

Dum-de-dum, oooops,

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/260857#Post260857

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/29/07 04:21 PM

Well it looks like Island Market needed the money to pay a fine. Guess that explains it, doesn't it? Customers overcharged on the already high prices. Wow, makes me want to shop there again. smirk If all this is true, I hope they go out of business. But then again I hear that the owners also own other smaller stores on the Island. the saga continues..........

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/29/07 04:39 PM

There are a number of Lebanese business people here with the same last name. That does not necessarily indicate that they are all in the same immediate family, any more than all Smiths or Joneses are related.
Posted By: elbert

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/29/07 04:56 PM

Really good point Jesse.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/29/07 04:57 PM

So true, Jesse. Any, or each, business should rest on it's own merits.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/29/07 05:01 PM

Didja ever notice how vicious the term "I hear..." can be?
Posted By: Phil

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/29/07 06:56 PM

...you have to be kidding Jesse. They have the same name as they are all related.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/30/07 01:52 AM

Some are much better at customer service than others.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/30/07 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bubba_in_ky
Are there not laws against FRAUD in Belize? Couldn't/Shouldn't the owners and employees be prosecuted?

Well nigh impossible for a foreigner to get a conviction against a Belizean, either civil or criminal. Not just my view (I've tried three times) but I've been told by several other people who've had similar experiences. In another case involving an American I was told to my face by the Commissioner of Police (the head honcho) that "he would not use his resources to prosecute one foreigner on behalf of another one".

IMO it's one of the biggest problems we have here. I've just received a letter from someone who says he put down US$125k as a hefty deposit on a condo yet to be built that he has now been told by the owner of the site that he has no claim or rights for either a condo (still not built, two years later) or to get his money back. In short, he's been tricked out of his money.

People who know me might be able to guess where the condo is meant to be, and who said "owner" is.

I should add that not all developers here are as dishonest. Many are totally up-front and straightforward to deal with. But if you pick one of the few bad ones you're on your own. Another reason for researching VERY carefully before putting any money down. Before you choose your property, choose your seller and agent.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/30/07 04:39 AM

I find some of the Lebanese shop keepers here honest and straightforward. Even one I know to be closely related to the sharks this thread is about.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/30/07 06:24 PM

I was "TOLD" (as in "hearsay") it was the same people that "OWN" the Island Supermarket had opened another smaller store in San Pedro town. So that could only be a rumor OR it may also be true, I do not know for sure. Maybe Jesse can do some old fashioned "Gum-foot" Investigating and report back to us.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/30/07 06:28 PM

What store? Where? What kind?
Nasser (brother-in-law of Island Super) opened his own store some time ago, located at the corner of Sea Grape and Blake Streets.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/30/07 06:42 PM

Jessie. I don't remember the name or exact location (in town), But it is a smaller grocery store that looked like it had just opened sometime around Thanksgiving (ish). I'll find out when I come down to SP in a couple of weeks.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 12/30/07 09:15 PM

You are most likely talking about the new Isla Supermarket which is on the west side of Coconut Drive kind of across the street from Changes in Latitudes and Belize Yacht Club. Not Nassers store. They have a golf cart that ferries goods between their store and Island Supermarket all day. Coinsidence I am sure Jesse. Also they too are Cristal Golf Carts.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/08/08 05:27 PM

Bobber,
I am just writing in your response for knowledge when "this whole ordeal comes to a head" I have spoken with our attorney recently who informed me he has heard no new information about our case. He assures me that I will be informed when he has any new information. Looks like we will be down in May, anyone have any good golf cart companies they can recommend? Just jokin'
Sandra Warren
Posted By: azbob

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/09/08 11:33 PM

Sandra, I'm down in March (53 to go). I'll check it out and let you know. You guys are real troopers!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/10/08 12:17 AM

Sandra, just my natural curiosity. I consider myself to be a stand-up guy, and when others "stand up", like the SPBA, it tweaks my interest, and I want to patronize their businesses, and if possibly, shake their hands. Also, I am also a frequent "tourist", and I like to know what to watch out for.

I am glad to see that in spite of this hassle, you are going back. It's a magical place.

I love this board. smile

Hang in there, azbob, there is some Belikin with your name on it. smile

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/10/08 02:29 AM

We love it there. What happened to us was something that could happen to anyone in any foreign country. The way the Victoria House, the SPBA and the public reacted to the situation was unbelievable and literally saved us (I too love this board). The compassion that was shown to us is something that words cannot describe. Did I ever mention that Brent and Javier (Victoria House) and Tim and Peter (Banana Beach and Pedros Inn) flew to Belize City and spent the day with us at our Lawyers' office? Is that amazing? Anyhow, thank you again for your kind words, and hopefully we'll all meet up one day.
Posted By: colomojo

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/10/08 08:13 AM

Hi Sandra - I found your original post after we were there in 12/07...you say you are coming in May again. We are too. Let me know when if you want.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/10/08 08:14 AM

BTW, we did not rent from there, but I was wondering about our grocery bill when we went shopping there - only once
Posted By: LoveH20

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/21/08 07:02 PM

OK I am coming down for my second visit and am duly warned. Where IS a good place to rent a cart?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/21/08 08:11 PM

anywhere else but there.

we often use moncho's. sometimes stuff doesn't work in them (lights, reverse gear), but they just take 'em back and give us another. heck, once our cart got STOLEN, and they just delivered us another. no questions asked.

Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/21/08 08:22 PM

I have always used Carts Belize. I have never had a bad experience with them. This last trip ( SweetJane will remember). We were hit by another vehicle, While we were parked. We came back to the cart to find the rear section crushed.
Carts Belize picked up the damaged cart and delivered another one to our Villa. Thats the kind of service that will keep me coming back to them time after time.
There are lots of places ( Island tours excluded) that are fair and resonable.Good luck, have fun, and enjoy Paradise!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/22/08 03:32 AM

We used Cholo's and would recommend them also. Delivery, pick up and they filled the tank so we didn't have to. Great service!
Posted By: darrin fisher

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/22/08 03:35 AM

we have been using island vacation rentals. they have been very good to us. there prices are real good and their service has been pretty good too. we do have to return the tank full or pay though.
Posted By: DeniseandRoger

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/22/08 04:43 AM

I agree about the grocery prices, seems like everytime we went in, some items changed prices or were rung at higher prices than the marked price.
Posted By: LoveH20

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/22/08 05:23 AM

Thanks, for rental tips. We will surely keep those in mind:)
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/23/08 10:32 PM

My daughter is here for her semi-annual visit and brought a friend. Two days ago they came in with a box of groceries. She said “We went to the store you don’t like.”
After some shrieking, explaining how they did things my daughter said “I thought you just didn’t like them!” “YEAH – for a reason.”
They did a list of everything they had purchased, they had not gotten a detailed receipt only the credit card slip, and their list was way lower than what they paid.
Yesterday she took her list back and said they didn’t remember the price of the three postcards. He said BZ $4.50 each and the coke was BZ $7.95. That still left a difference of $21 something. The settled for $20 cash instead of letting them run the credit card again.
Then they found the same post cards for $1.50 at another store.
How do these people look at themselves in a mirror?

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/24/08 12:27 AM

Maybe there is no reflection!
Posted By: seaexplore

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/24/08 04:59 AM

hmmm.... vampires? LOL- we shopped there (before this post was done) in april of last year and didn't seem to be overcharged- we did a mental add up BEFORE we got to the register and had it been dif. we would have questioned it! I won't shop there again tho based on everyone else's comments!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/24/08 03:59 PM

I shop there, most everyday. I like the people. They treat me nicely, I treat them nicely.

I haven't felt ripped off and they constantly give me discounts. At Christmas they usually give me a turkey or a ham and a nice bottle of scotch.

So please, can we stop bashing these poor people that are trying to make a living.

This store provides many luxury items that other stores don't stock. One should expect to pay more for luxury items.

If you don't want to shop there or rent their carts, fine - but please - enough already.

Send the lynching mob somewhere else.

If people used all of these vehement feelings against crime and improving this society we would all be a lot better off.

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/24/08 04:05 PM

The way these people run their business IS criminal!

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/24/08 04:07 PM

So don't go there if you don't wish to. No one is forcing you. Peace...
Posted By: captjeff

Re: watch out for island tours golf cart rentals - 01/24/08 06:30 PM

Amanda is on the money ..I buy there and they have always been nice to me and give me a discount on my orders ..If you do not like them I can understand that..God bless you , go somewhere else.But she is right!!!!! Enough already !! Everybody ,MADE THERE POINT LETS MOVE ON...
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board