AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Houstonian Caribe Island Resort - 10/18/07 02:05 PM
Hello Everyone....I know you get a lot of these questions but I am new to this message board so please bear with me. We are coming to Ambergris Caye June 2008 for a week. We have reservations at Caribe Island Resort. Does anyone have any information regarding this place...like reviews, etc. We realize it is just a bit from town but that is okay. Also, June will be hot/sticky..we are use to that living in Houston...other than that is it a good time to visit?
Posted By: Cooper Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/18/07 03:33 PM
My husband and I spent one night there. We live on Caye Caulker and I did the Wedding Photography for a couple staying down the road at Pelican Point. We loved it!!!! The apartments were lovely, sooo comfortable and cheerfully decorated. The pool and beach were great. The girls in the Office were very friendly and helpful. We spent equal time at the two resorts, Pelican Point being more upscale, expensive, but we felt all that was lost as it was not as comfortable or welcoming,(friendly) as Caribe Island Resort. You will have a wonderful time.
Posted By: mountain Larry Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/19/07 10:53 PM
We spent a week (in June) at the Caribe a couple of years ago. It is a beautiful place and the apartments are nice. There were three of us in a one bedroom unit but since it wasn't full they upgraded us to a larger unit for free which was nice. Now that said I will tell you the people that were running the Caribe then are no longer doing it. There was some fallout that went along with the change of management.
We didn't really mind the fact that it's a little ways south but I would recommend you have golf cart, the walk gets a little long after a few One Barrels and coke.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/20/07 12:52 AM
They offer free transportation to town every night around dinner time. They will also pay for your taxi when you arrive and when you leave. Taxi fares can vary, if you go with the individual taxis you can get to town for $5.00 to $ 7.50 US ask first because it can go as high as $15 US, we stayed there 6 months ago.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/20/07 09:53 PM
Not to cause trouble ,but it no way would I call this a resort!!!!in the travel buisness a resort has all the facilities one would or should want . ie =front desk 24/7 person on duty that you can call. tour office ,restaurant , bar ,room service ,etc...so this is a condo complex.with a dock and pool ..But that may all you need or want!! and should be a lot less in price than a resort.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/21/07 05:52 PM
Well six months ago. they had a office, nice big one, open all day till just after dark, with a couple real nice young ladies working,All the tour info and bookings you could want. a little internet area with a computer hooked up, the place was wired for wifi. The bar and restaurant opened at 11 am, guess if you needed a drink prior to that you were on your own. This was in off season, the place was almost empty yet the bar and restaurant still opened. I would hope that most people are looking for something on vacation besides the proper definition of the word RESORT.
Posted By: seashell Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/21/07 07:47 PM
I'm curious as to which "resorts" on Ambergris Caye have room service.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/21/07 08:19 PM
Sueno del Mar,Blue Reef,Portofino,Mata Chica,Capricorn,Ramon's,Banana Beach,Victoria House and you guessed it first Pedro's
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 02:11 AM
There are some lovely places that aren't resorts in the normal sense of the word. Paradise Villas for example.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 04:28 PM
Cooper while I can understand you like this place and may have a good reson to reccommended it ?? Please understand there are people who try to make a choice of where to stay ,and the word resort [I was trying to factual] ,, may paint the wrong picture of this place or any place .This is a group of condo units .Now if you are talking about paradise villas I would say the same .Condo units with a pool and nice grounds .very nice place but not a resort !!! The names pedro 1 has named are true resorts in every way..And all who come here do not need a resort..a hotel[rubys,spindrift, may be just great !!! just like a condo/apt may fit the budget and needs of lots ..But lets tell it like it is..
Posted By: Cooper Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 04:57 PM
Actually, if I was to vacation on A/C. I would not stay there. I would stay up North, always wanted to stay way up where the reef is so close to land, I love to snorkel. There are so many really cool places to stay in San Pedro,A/C, these resorts have the money to build themselves and maintain beautiful beaches, somthing Caye Caulker can not do. I am in S.P. town several times a month on business so I would not care if I could access it or not. I was only answering the poster who sounded like he had already made plans to stay at Caribe Island Resort that it was a nice place. I got to stay their for free. but at $90 a night off season the price is right, as it can cost much more than that at other places, The folks that got married paid $500 a night and I actually did like The Caribe Island much more. To state their is no office, or bar or restaurant it misinforming these folks that are coming down to vist.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 08:11 PM
Cooper ,it is obvious that you did not understand my point And what I was saying or do not understand or care what the point I was trying to make !!!!!!to many places call there place a resort!! and are not And no way is this place even close to a resort.. just Because it has place to eat,[never seen it open for the longest time ],and has a desk ? just wonderful] it is still not a resort.!!!!!!! It is a condo..A condo complex is a condo complex.There are great places to stay here .but the facts are the facts .You may know art!!! but you need to see where I am going with this picture ????? please do not call it a resort call it what it is!!!!!!
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 08:14 PM
capt, looks like you're due a visit to paradise! you down in Nov.?
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 08:57 PM
Back to love shack the end of november after thanksgiving arive 25 ,any chance thats the lucky date???..PM me???
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 08:59 PM
Darn! I'm down about the mid of the month.

Next time we'll get together! We'll tour the island deciding on what is or is not a resort (in our opinion). wink

See you soon!
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 09:16 PM
Tq ,You got a deal. I will get the limo ready for the tour.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 09:18 PM
Resort = accomodation, full service bar & restaurant with room service, swimming pool, gift shop, front desk and tour desk, dive shop facilities (or pick up and drop off to one nearby) spa facilities or close & easy proximity -

5 star resort has all facilities on site including gym, on-site laundry services

What did I miss?

Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 09:29 PM
Pedro's Inn is a "Resort"?? Did I read this correctly? Good place for cheap accomodations with Bar and food available. But not exactly a "Resort". (No offence to Peter but Victoria House, Azul, Portofino and the others are a few steps above pedros place).
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 09:31 PM
Amanda,your on the money ..Five stars it does not have to be!! but above is corect.You got it all only , few here meet that critera .the rest are very good hotels ,or condos!!!!! but island and its people are ten stars...And a great place to live the dream...
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 09:37 PM
2 miles my brother if you read what he said he was just pulling our leg..
Posted By: Cooper Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 10:07 PM
CAPTJEFF;Goodness, I just cant get all worked up about the true definition of Resort,That really was not the question posted. I am sure these folks checked out websites,in trying to stay with original topic. I just thought you gave wrong info, maybe under the old owners the place had no office, bar, restaurant etc.. I see your point. by definition its not a resort, so what. you seemed to have lost the original question asked, and if you are not in Belize now, if you are working a 9 to 5 job, driving a car around in traffic and dealing with high stress, get yourself down here for some R&R soon. The issue you are trying to get across just is not worth an argument,I*m going for a swim with my dog. YOU WIN!!!!
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 10:18 PM
It's all good! Peace, love and harmony!

I had this argument with one of my friends who had never been to SP before. I see both sides. All is good...

Let's hijack this thread onto something else...
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/22/07 10:27 PM
Be down in november will take the yacht over and buy you a drink or two or three ,no winner just a point .and every day is a holiday for me no stress ,life is good . ask my local friends .I am down every month ,so we will meet ,stay well...
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/23/07 01:50 AM
mmm a trip to Caye Caulker ot apologize sounds good....

I can smell the sauted lobster as we type. Yum Yum
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/23/07 02:22 AM
Amanda your invited .get the butter sauce ready..
Posted By: Cooper Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/23/07 02:27 AM
Captain Jeff, You know I remember reading a study of how often miscommunication happen regarding email communication. It is not possible to reflect emotions, moods or temperament easily in the written word. It has lead to alot of misread emotions. To put it more plainly, at times you just cant get a handle on where the other guy is coming from, and of course visa versa,I do hope to see you around.

Posted By: Ernie B Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/23/07 02:30 AM
Whew ! Im glad thats over.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/23/07 02:05 PM
Ernie my brother when are you comming over to vist me at the royal palm resort..
Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/23/07 02:38 PM
LOL!! Capt. Here we go again smile
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/23/07 02:44 PM
bill thats was the ,best one of the day....
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/23/07 11:36 PM
capt jeff...you cant get a drink at Carib Island in november. they closed the restaurant and bar until high season (not sure when that will be actually).

also, you cant tie up at their dock either...its gone. Dean did a number on it, and its being rebuilt. Its SUPPOSED to be done in about 3 weeks, but.....it is belize after all. smile

Posted By: LaraTravelBelize Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/23/07 11:38 PM
oh, and in defense of the guy that asked the question, while capt jeff, is of course, 100% accurate, Carib Island calls itseld a resort. Thats their name "carib island resort"...

at this point they offer lovely accommodations, a pool, tour arranging and stuff. and of course, the lovely quiet of the south side of the island (plus really nice neighbors) smile
Posted By: captjeff Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/24/07 04:55 PM
lara yes really,nice neighbors..!!!!!!!
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/24/07 04:57 PM
CJ, can you say "Resort"? smile
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/24/07 09:23 PM
Agree, very nice neighbors aroud Carib island.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/25/07 03:10 AM
Hey CaptJeff: Hope to see yah soon...I will be returning to my belovied resort of last resorts...Laguna Punta on November 28th. Take care: Bill...Prez. SPA-SC in exile. PS. If I need a diet Coke in the middle of the night, I just go get it. I don't need no stinkin room service smirk
Posted By: Barefoot Skinny Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/25/07 08:15 AM
I've have many fond memories of Caribe Island. I'm sure you will too.
Posted By: skullyboy Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/25/07 06:08 PM
i agree many fond memories there. don't mean to stir the pot, but did the owners get things worked out?
Posted By: flyfisherman Re: Caribe Island Resort - 10/25/07 07:33 PM
Great music and great link! Thanks.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board