AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Should I be nervous right now?

Posted By: RachelAnne

Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:16 PM

Hey all,

I am going to AC in April and just reserved myself a cabana at the Hotel Del Rio.
To reserve the room, we have to send over our credit card number. I know, it's standard and I think I've seen it on every site I've looked at. But it scares the hell out of me!

I was communicating with Roberto at the Hotel Del Rio regularly for a couple of days. If I sent a message, he'd respond within a couple of hours. He told me to send over my CC# so I did, yesterday morning before work. I tried to be smart about it - I was very specific and spelled out exactly how much I was authorizing, and exactly what it was for.

And I haven't heard a word since.

Argh. Ok, I know it was only yesterday. I get that Belize time is a little different than Seattle time. But I am so nervous now!

has anyone had this experience?

I'm about to try and reserve a hotel in San Ignacio and they're asking me to do the same thing. Should I not do it? Am I overreacting? (I hope so!)

Help!
Posted By: klcman

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:17 PM

ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:21 PM

Ha!
I'm an instructor, and I'm sitting in front of my current class of doctors (typing away while they're taking their competencies, I might add) and trying to OHMMMMMMM in my head.

Posted By: elbert

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:22 PM

Its SOP to give a credit card # as a deposit when you book something over the net. I wouldn't worry.
I make my people print out the form ,sign it and fax it back with the signature, thats the only way the Belize Bank will accept it.
relax.
PS OHMMMM is all the caveman ever says.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:26 PM

Do you also make them give the 3 digit security code? I had to do that recently and wasn't that comfortable with the idea.

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:31 PM

Incorrect, elbert. Sometimes ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Posted By: Hon

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:31 PM

You don't have to be nervous...period.

Hell, I just sent Pedro1 my credit card info and I only had to have 2 shots of tequila beforehand.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:32 PM

That 3 digit code is a new thing and I haven't had any requests from the bank for it.
I believe it just to prove your the holder of the card.
Posted By: Nova

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:32 PM

SS - I had to do that recently to book airline tickets and lo and behold - and extra $1600 in charges. They pulled it the second I complained, but will never use that online company to book tickets again!
Posted By: C.C.

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:33 PM

Don't be worried. It is standard practice. It is the only way the hotels can protect against late cancellations and no shows. I had to give mine quite a few times before moving here and there were no problems with any of them. If a hotel misuses, imagine the slamming and bad press they'd get on here. Just ask Island Grocery.

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:36 PM

There is so much fraud with internet CC's that more & more companies require you to provide the CID number. As Elbert stated, It's to prove you are who you say you are. (And the merchant gets a small break on his transaction fees) Get used to it gang. And, if it gets rubbed off ( typical) you cannot call the issuer and find out what is is. They force you to visit office or issue a new card.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:40 PM

OK . .but well, I thought I wasn't supposed to give out that security number . . so it made me mighty nervous.

I do trust who I gave it to though, so I just hope the system they use for recording/using these things is as trustworthy.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:41 PM

And our email services and electrical service goes down sometimes for a few hours at a time too. Roberto will probably be back in touch after lunch. Today is report card day and a lot of parents are at the school.

Posted By: SimonB

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:46 PM

If for some reason you can't authorize the card by machine and when you do it by phone you get sent to a live person they ask for the security code. That's why it's required and it's happened more than a few times to me.

One thing though, you should NEVER send your credit card information by e-mail. Fax yes, e-mail no!

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:50 PM

My box requires the CID code or they charge me more! And if you fake it, it will be accepted, but they still charge you more.
Posted By: Bobber

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:51 PM

Amen. Fax good, e-mail bad. The credit card dealings we have made down in AC have always been a form authorization e-mailed to us, filled out and faxed back. If anything goes awry, you know exactly where to start looking.

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 07:54 PM

Thanks guys, I feel much better!

Hon, it's a little early here for 2 shots of tequila...I only use vodka in my coffee!

And C.C. I read that string of posts surrounding island grocery and their golf cart rentals. You better believe we won't be going even close to them!
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 09:02 PM

I recently had to send my credit card information via e-mail for hotels in Colombia. No fax that worked, no person who spoke English to take the information over the phone. I sent it two separate e-mails. We'll see what happens. So far, so good.
Posted By: JRinSC

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 09:54 PM

Here's something I've done RachelAnne, where you have to email them the information I do it with two messages and put half the numbers in each msg and let them put it together. Worked fine with Nellie Gomez at Paradise Villas!

Good luck and stand by... leaving for SP in the am!!!
Posted By: 6string

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/14/07 10:49 PM

I work in IT and the standard security practice is NEVER give out any type of personal ID info in an email, period! On many reservation type websites, its usually ok if its an https or secure site, since the info is encrypted. I know in SP, they don't have too many of these, so then the best thing to do is get the phone number of the venue and call them, talk to the person with whom you had your email coorespondance and give them your CC number that way. Remember, its not the person taking the number you usually have to fear, its the evesdropper or net hacker that you need to fear. Just my two cents worth, but I've seen friends get their identity taken, along with some $$. Of course the phone call assumes you think that the international telephone services are secure... I'm not always sure about that either!

For what its worth.....
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/15/07 03:22 PM

So if the worst thing happens and they fly to Europe for a vacation on your card!!!! You are only liable for a $50 fee if your card is used fraudulently, Actually the paperwork is minimal. Also theft protection the credit cards try to get you to purchase is a waiste of time.because its only a $50 copay on fraud anyway. I dont know why this person did not return your email, but it is standard practice to get card info. Call the number on your card to get info on current activity.
Posted By: Bobber

Re: Should I be nervous right now? - 12/15/07 03:26 PM

Personally, the times I have faxed these things in it has taken 3 or 4 days to get a confirmation back. Island time, maybe? If you can monitor your card activity on the internet, just check it and if you haven't seen any activity in a few more days, give them a call.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board