AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: hphjan Tips for the staff - 12/31/07 06:27 AM
Is it better to leave "things" or money for staff? If "things" what?
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Tips for the staff - 12/31/07 01:31 PM
$$$$ is always appreciated. We also leave what ever hasn't been opened in the fridge for our people, except, of course, the Belikins and Lighthouses...that goes in the closet for next time.
We put everything in a bag, and place on the top shelf of the fridge, and leave a note for them. It is always appreciated, at least they always tell us they have used it. Most likely just take it home and add to the six million packs of unpopped corn they already have.
It never hurts to ask them if they can use the foods, it's better than throwing it away..and they can always use the money.
Posted By: hphjan Re: Tips for the staff - 01/02/08 03:34 AM
Thanks for the input. We would definately leave behind any unopened food and gladly tip the maid. What is the usual daily tip rate for the maid?
As far as things, are there any items that are hard for the locals to get. We went to the D.R. and things like crayons, pencils/pens, make-up and clothing were suggested. Is there anything of that nature that locals may need?
Posted By: seashell Re: Tips for the staff - 01/02/08 04:12 AM
No, not the staff. They can always use money. San Pedro is not like Cuba or DR.

If you want to bring down things for the poor kids, contact Tacogirl.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Tips for the staff - 01/02/08 06:02 PM
I am sure that most staff would have kids or know kids who would be glad for things you give them. While you can get stuff here many things are definitely cheaper stateside, and also when you do not get paid much then what you are able to buy is directly affected as you tend to think necessity over luxury.

I would say a trip to dollar store even if you wanted to leave some things in addition to money for tip.
Posted By: hphjan Re: Tips for the staff - 01/04/08 12:01 AM
Thanks tacogirl, I'll see what cute things I can find at the dollar store.
Still wondering what the normal daily tip is for houskeeping staff???
Posted By: kris48 Re: Tips for the staff - 01/04/08 12:18 AM
We usually leave $2-3 US, three if she does the dishes. We usually stay at the Palms, which does have a built in service charge (10%), so we feel this is above and beyond the service fee. At the end, we leave all kinds of left-overs, including bug spray to shampoo to change. Have generally left about $12-$15 in change in Bz.$. Last time, due to a bunch more folks, we left a lot of unopened food, and hope that someone was able to use it. By the way, you do have to tell them it's for them. They will not touch a dime left out, unless they know for a fact it's for them.
Posted By: tortuga Re: Tips for the staff - 01/04/08 12:37 AM
I usually tip a dollar per person staying in the room per day. That way if different people end up cleaning the room, they all get their tip. I leave it on the bathroom sink with a note saying thank you so the girls know it's for them.
Posted By: klcman Re: Tips for the staff - 01/04/08 12:39 AM
At least one well known resort has those ubiqitous envelopes, with the maid's name written in it. Where are you staying?
Posted By: Phil Re: Tips for the staff - 01/04/08 04:47 PM
Our housekeeper gets on average around US$40 - 50 per week for the two or three bedroom house, but we don't have a service charge.
Posted By: hphjan Re: Tips for the staff - 01/07/08 03:01 AM
Thanks again to all who have replied.
We are staying at Belize Legacy Resort and a service charge has been included. That being said, I will make a trip to the Dollar Store to get some goodies and will be sure to let staff know for sure what cash or things are left for them.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board